Author Topic: Buddhists outraged at Buddha’s images on shoes  (Read 15977 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Buddhists outraged at Buddha’s images on shoes
« on: August 03, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »
This is quite offensive, to place the image of the Buddha on shoes. Why havent the manufacturers check before they actually make the slippers? they look nice, but its just plain disrespectful to subject the image of the Buddha to so much dirt and also on the lowest part of the body.

[/img]

Buddhists outraged at Buddha’s images on shoes

WASHINGTON

The Tibetan and the Buddhist community are outraged at a California-based company for promoting a range of shoes with the Lord Buddha‘s images.
Tibetans and Bhutanese Buddhists have written to the company, Icon Shoes, to express their disgust. They have flooded the company‘s Facebook page with protest notes. There was no immediate reaction from Icon Shoes.

“Unfortunately, it is a basic Buddhist tradition to treat images of Buddhist deities with reverence. Having the images on shoes is disrespect to the Buddhists,” wrote Bhuchung Tsering form International Campaign for Tibet.

“Could you kindly consider this and withdraw the shoes from your catalogue,” the Tibetan leader demanded.

The North American member of the Tibetan Parliament, Tashi Namgyal, wrote a protest letter to Icon Shoe.

“I came across shoes with image of Lord Buddha on it, manufactured by your company. I was totally shocked and dismayed at being so insensitive,” wrote Namgyal.

“Lord Buddha is worshiped by millions of people around the world including the writer of this letter… Therefore, I would like to strongly urge your company to recall every merchandise sold with Buddha’s image and stop not only selling such merchandises but manufacture of such products. Above all, I want you to tender unqualified apology posted on your website,” Tashi demanded.

Based out of Palm Desert, California, ICON was launched in 1999 by a Hollywood filmmaker and art collector.

“Icon is for the art lover and the woman who loves shoes and handbags. We support artists by paying royalty for the use of their art,” the company says on its Facebook page.

“I really think you should stop manufacturing the shoes with Buddha’s imprint… it is totally against Buddhist sentiment,” wrote one Tshewant Gyeltshen on the company‘s Facebook page.

“I am Buddhist. Your idea of putting Lord Buddha‘s image on footwear is unethical,” said one Yoezer Gempo.

“Why do they have to put Lord Buddha‘s image on shoes? Among Buddhist we don’t even let our shadow fall on His image. It cannot be ignorance since they had the guts to run a company and even call the pattern ‘Thangka of the Buddha’,” wrote an angry Passang Tshering on his blog.

sonamdhargey

Re: Buddhists outraged at Buddha’s images on shoes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »
It is disrespectful to have a Buddha image printed on shoes and then people walking around in that shoes. It is purely arrogance or ignorance to not do research about Buddha's images and be sensitive about the sentiments of the Buddhist community. As a Buddhist I do not hate or have anger against the shoe company, but it would be common sense to have some respect on such holy images. On top of that they called it Thangka of the Buddha. I wonder if they knew what is the significance of the Thangka in the first place?

dondrup

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »
Buddha images had been a subject of misuse, abuse and improper treatment by organizations as well as individuals.  The misuse, abuse and improper treatment arise from ignorance, lack of understanding and respect for the holy images of Buddha.  If the organizations like Icon Shoes and Walt Disney do not take the necessary steps to rectify their mistakes, it will offend all the Buddhists in the World today.  A new Bangkok-based group called Knowing Buddha Organization had recently launched a march in Thailand to protest against the misuse, abuse and improper treatment of Buddha images.  Knowing Buddha Organization had kindly come up with a guideline on the Dos and Don’ts on Buddha http://knowingbuddha.org/dos-and-dont/

Below are the relevant links concerning the above issues:

Thailand tourists, Disney asked to show Buddha some respect By Richard S. Ehrlich 9 July, 2012 http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/visit/bangkok-tourists-disney-asked-show-buddha-some-respect-290393

Buddhists March in Bangkok to Speak Out to the World to Stop Disrespecting Buddha http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/6/prweb9635673.htm

Buddhists Successfully March to Declare to World: Stop Disrespecting Buddha. http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/7/prweb9661093.htm

Klein

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 07:41:28 PM »

This is a sample of Icon Shoes. It's true that it's very disrespectful for the Buddha image to be put on shoes. Nothing bad is going to happen to the person wearing the shoes but it sends out the wrong message of not holding the dharma high. Can you imagine putting an image of Prophet Mohammed on the shoes?

The following is a write up from www.thangkapaintings.com on the Perspectives on Use of Buddha Images:

"While the interpretations and meanings of Buddha images can vary, traditionally all Buddha images were made for religious purposes.  Naturally, Buddhists can have strong feelings about the proper and respectful treatment appropriate for Buddha images. Observation of traditional guidelines shows respect for religious teachings and reinforces understanding.  Failure to observe traditional guidelines shows disrespect and can be offensive.

The confusing aspect of these guidelines is that in different places there are different traditions for respectful treatment.  For example, in Thailand many people wear small Buddha amulets because they like to have the Buddha's presence and sometimes they believe the amulet may provide some supernatural protection.  In contrast, many Burmese believe it is improper to wear a Buddha amulet because the wearer shows disrespect by placing his head above the Buddha.  In their own way both ideas are respectful.   Another example is that the Burmese religious authorities have asked that images of the Buddha not be used in any business advertisement or promotion including book and magazine covers.  They considered it improper to associate Buddhist imagery with any commercial activity or product.  Many other Buddhists are less strict and accept Buddha images in conjunction with books or other materials about Buddhism.  But most Buddhists agree that use of Buddha images in any commercial context other than promotion of Buddhist teaching is disrespectful

In view of the differing traditions, one can broadly say that a proper use of Buddha images is one that shows recognition and respect for the religious meaning.  Proper uses could be described as a focus for meditation, a focus of worship, or a reminder of Buddhist doctrines.  In keeping with the importance of these images, Buddhists also observe a variety of guidelines about placement of images within their homes:

Location of Buddha images:
In Southeast Asia , Buddha statues are normally placed in a location removed from ordinary worldly affairs.  Many Thai and Burmese homes have a separate room, alcove, or cabinet for storage of religious images.  But some people take another view and place a Buddha image in a place of prominence as a constant reminder of the importance of Buddhist teaching in all aspects of life.

Height of Buddha images:
Traditional practice was that images should be high enough that the image's feet were at or above the eye level of people in the room in order to avoid accidentally soiling the images. The Buddha image should be higher than any other figures displayed in the room.  Elevation also serves as a reminder of the importance of avoiding pride and ego.  From an esthetic point of view, some types of wooden images look less elegant viewed from above when you are looking into the grain."

dsiluvu

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 10:37:50 PM »
Totally disrespectful... somehow I got this feeling that this trend is definitely not going to be one that last!

The manufacturer of these shoes must non-Buddhist and perhaps even dislike Buddhism... if not why would you design such a thing? Look even if I was not a Catholic... I am not gonna use Mother Marry's image and paste all over my shoes!

Sorry but this is tasteless!

Tammy

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 05:51:37 AM »
My dear friends, relax and dont be so uptight!

Let me ask you one very simple question : does this act of using Buddha images as shoes decorative motif makes the enlightened one less enlightened and less holy ? Does this make Buddha's teachings less profound and dilute our respect to Lord Buddha as the one who had shown the way to liberation?

Think about this and I am 100% sure your answer would be - NO!

And why is it OK to paint Buddha images on T-shirts but when it is used on shoes it suddenly becomes disrespectful? These arenall self created 'labels' and misconception that we were brought up with. C'mon, people be open minded, if you don't like the idea of wearing a Buddha shoes, just don't buy it! But it doesn't mean you have a rush to the streets with a placard of nasty comments !
Down with the BAN!!!

Dorje Pakmo

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 06:27:34 AM »
Every Buddhists should know that the Buddha image (any Buddha image) MUST be treated with great respect and care. A Buddhists daily practice is to seek refuge in the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. That also means the Buddha is placed at the highest respect of all in every Buddhists mind. There are reasons why the Buddha statues and images are treated with great respect, placed on clean and high places.

It is to
1. Remind us the qualities of the Perfect Wisdom and Compassion of the awaken one.

2. It serves as an inspiration to inspire us to develop the qualities of the Buddha as we recall the stories of Buddha’s greatness and his teachings.

As a Buddhist, I feel that it insensitive and disrespectful to have Buddha image printed on shoes or to place at anywhere else that is unclean. Every religion should be treated with respect because it preaches goodness and aim to tap into the inner compassion and kindness of an individual. Although Buddhism have always teaches one to have tolerance towards others, I think the very least a non-Buddhist can do, is to respect the holy image of Lord Buddha which is revered by so many around the world.

The Karma one gather out of IGNORANCE can be quite terrifying. The person, whoever made or designed the shoes may think it is cool or hip to have the Buddha’s image printed on their products. But they don’t know the consequences of their action.

The North American member of the Tibetan Parliament, Tashi Namgyal, wrote a protest letter to Icon Shoe.

And since The North American member of the Tibetan Parliament, Tashi Namgyal was so kind to write in to protest for Icon Shoe to withdraw and stop producing this series of shoes; Icon Shoe should immediately heed advice and write an apology letter and thanks Tashi Namgyal for stopping them from creating anymore negative Karma out of IGNORANCE and INSENSITIVITY.
DORJE PAKMO

bambi

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 12:30:30 PM »
I disagree with the usage of ANY Holy images to be used on shoes. It is totally disrespectful to do so. Of all the pictures in the world, they have to use Holy images??  :-[

Let me ask you one very simple question : does this act of using Buddha images as shoes decorative motif makes the enlightened one less enlightened and less holy ? Does this make Buddha's teachings less profound and dilute our respect to Lord Buddha as the one who had shown the way to liberation?

And why is it OK to paint Buddha images on T-shirts but when it is used on shoes it suddenly becomes disrespectful? These arenall self created 'labels' and misconception that we were brought up with. C'mon, people be open minded, if you don't like the idea of wearing a Buddha shoes, just don't buy it! But it doesn't mean you have a rush to the streets with a placard of nasty comments !

So Tammy, does this mean that it is also okay to put Holy images in toilets or on the floor? It is just simple logic that one does not do so. There are no nasty comments only opinions that one makes for what they feel is right so they stand up for it. So when HHDL said that we shouldn't practice Dorje Shugden because He is an evil spirit, we follow and not say anything about it? So when the people go out with nasty comments to protest, we don't care and just be open minded?  ;D

There is a petition to voice your opinion if you want to.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-using-buddhist-images-on-shoes/

The Petition
We, the Buddhist Community around the world fully condemn the usage of Buddha images on foot-wears or hand-bags designed and manufactured by Icon Shoes based in the USA.

We want to put forth this petition and ask Icon Shoes to stop using any Buddhist images or any religion's deity pictures on any of your design which would bring disgrace to the respective religion.

In Buddhism, the Lord Buddha is revered everything and we are disheartened to see such demeaning and humiliation act by Icon Shoes.

This would bring disharmony among the practitioners and believers. This is a anti-Buddhist act and a disrespect to the views and beliefs of millions of followers around the world.

PLEASE STOP USING ANY BUDDHIST DEITY IMAGES ON ANY OF YOUR DESIGN AND PULL-OFF ANY EXISTING PRODUCTS WITH BUDDHIST IMAGES!!!

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »
It is not against the law to have Buddha images imprinted on the shoes, in terms of concept and design it is actually very provocative and unique, having said that before these designs of shoe being approved by their head of department, they should questioned, are we producing an unethical and disrespectful product? Well, maybe they have but they chose to be different and probably using these as an branding for their own greed.

A person went to the toilet and didn't wash their hands, is it against the law? No, but it is just unethical and disrespect to others.

ilikeshugden

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 03:08:40 PM »
I think it is highly unethical and disrespectful for this company to place the image of Buddha on shoes. The shoes get dirty. It becomes the same as dirtying the buddha image. It is very bad karma. For the more hardcore devotees, even a speck of dust is a sign of disrespect.

Sure, they look nice but it is very unfitting. Even on the basis of imprints, this would not beneficial. People may see it but if it is covered in dirt and grime. The karmic imprint placed within his or her mindstream becomes clouded too. It may even open up a wrong imprint in this life.

I hope that this shoe company will withdraw this horrible line of shoes. If they do not withdraw this, more and more Buddhists will become outraged. On a business level, they would lose a lot of money too!

pgdharma

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »

Yes, all these maybe  self created labels and misconception. We can be open minded and, yes, the enlightened one do not  mind as he is  an enlightened  being.  But we should still show respect to a holy  being or the elderly. Would you like to have your parent's photo as a decorative motive on  your  shoe? How would you feel if your Guru's or Dorje Shugdan's photo is use as decorative  motive on the shoe you
are wearing?

brian

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 03:56:36 PM »
That's a very good poiint being brought up here pgdharma. I have never seen other religious figure heads or Gods in shoe designs anyways. I have to brand this idea of having Deities or God images in shoes as insensitive and disrespectful. This is not right and for a start should be removed away from the shelves as a mark of resolving the issue. Apology to come as well at the very least whatever the motivation from the manufacturer's point of view. Nice designs but not shoes please.

biggyboy

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »
First and foremost, aren't the usage of any Buddhist or Buddha's images on commercial products especially shoes, pants, shorts, etc being disrespectful in whatever forms?  Imagine, having a Buddha image (say Dorje Shugden) being printed on these 3 examples where you will sit on it (in this case the pants and shorts), walk and kick with it (shoes).  How would you feel then?  Ok..what about having your parents' images on it? Is it ethical and respectful?  Not at all!  It is unthinkable having sacred image and place on ones private part nor for walking is a complete desecration and insult to any faith be it Buddhist, Muslim, Hinduism, etc.

It should not be taken lightly and to make use of sacred images for any financial or personal gains!

dsiluvu

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 07:54:08 PM »

Dearest Tammy having a Buddha image on T-Shirt is quite different from having a Buddha image on your feet... wearing a Buddha image on your body (above your waist) is actually okay can be even considered a blessing, i.e. wearing a Buddha Pendant.

In certain countries like Thailand... you could probably cause a huge uproar. Your feet is considered the lowest part of your body, even when you die, you do not want your consciousness to leave from the lower part of your body for it leads to the 3 lower realms. Whereas the head is the highest point of the body. Your feet is considered "dirty" in a sense you step on things and walk on what, who knows, hence you make good sure you wash your smelly feet before you go to bed - or don't you? Eek... So even in today's modern society we don't point at things or anyone using our feet, it is considered rude, what more wearing a holy image on your feet, any for that matter would be considered very very disrespectful.

Anyway... Buddha images are sacred, whatever size or condition. Never climb on a Buddha image, and in Thailand you will need to even be very careful about taking photos of Buddhas in the temples – some images are so sacred photographs are forbidden. Abide by this rule or you may even be asked to leave. If you can’t cross your legs, don’t sit on the floor in front of temple’s Buddha image – in doing so you will point your feet at the Buddha which is an act of sacrilege. The 2004 film ‘Hollywood Buddha’ caused an uproar in Thailand and other Buddhist countries in the region when advertising posters for the film showed a central character sitting on the head of a Buddha image.

So it is not about being uptight, it is more about being respectful. If you cannot even be respectful to an Enlightened image and use it so frivolously, it shows what you value. Usually a Buddha image or text is considered very sacred and precious and highly value. Perhaps you don't see it that way and it is just a mere ordinary image for you?

I believe there are consequences for having a Buddha image on your feet is like stepping on a Budha's image which represent Enlightenment, hence you are indirectly stepping on a Buddha and I believe there are -ve consequences for that.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 12:10:23 AM »
This is an interesting question – designers who have used holy images on shoes, handbags, tshirts etc have always provoked a response from practitioners of that particular faith. I found this blog which had Jesus images on their shoes (http://thejesusquestion.org/2011/03/27/does-jesus-have-your-sole/) but interestingly enough, when I went to the website (http://www.zazzle.co.uk/) which was listed on the blog, I could not find the shoe products anymore. Perhaps there was a protest and the products were removed.

I agree that shoes are pretty stupid places to put holy images but I do wonder where do we draw the line. Is it okay to put holy images or words on t-shirts? Bags? I must say I love Buddha images on clothes and bags but I do feel a bit guilty about wearing them because I don’t know if it’s okay to do so or not. With bags I guess we should be extra aware about where we put our bags – i.e. not on the floor, especially not in toilets. How about Buddha images on a mug?
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being