Author Topic: Which Would You Choose?  (Read 12351 times)

icy

Which Would You Choose?
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:42:39 AM »
The quality of one's rebirth in the next life is determined by the quality of one's mental activity in this life. Generally speaking, we have no power to choose how we are born; it is dependent on karmic forces. However, the period near the time of death is very influential in terms of activating one from among the many karmas that a person has already accumulated, and, therefore, if one makes particular effort at generating a virtuous attitude at that time, there is an opportunity to strengthen and activate a virtuous karma. Moreover, when one has developed high realization and has gained control over how one will be reborn, it is possible to take what is called "reincarnation" rather than mere rebirth.

bambi

Re: Which Would You Choose?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:31:19 PM »
The quality of one's rebirth in the next life is determined by the quality of one's mental activity in this life. Generally speaking, we have no power to choose how we are born; it is dependent on karmic forces. However, the period near the time of death is very influential in terms of activating one from among the many karmas that a person has already accumulated, and, therefore, if one makes particular effort at generating a virtuous attitude at that time, there is an opportunity to strengthen and activate a virtuous karma. Moreover, when one has developed high realization and has gained control over how one will be reborn, it is possible to take what is called "reincarnation" rather than mere rebirth.

There are people who understand reincarnation and there are some who don't because of their negative karma and wrong view. But there is such a thing especially growing in the west. Many people can remember past lives and some can also see their future lives, even if they are not Buddhists. It is up to our mind on how it is perceived. Not just because one person say it does not exist therefor there is only one life. This is why one should analyze and check one's understanding of reincarnation and karma. Yes, understanding the need to do more virtuous actions is a must. Make everything in Buddhist teachings important and practice it. That is why we should use every opportunity in this human form to develop high realization and take it to control 'reincarnation' rather than rebirth.

11 year old boy reincarnated FOX 8 News Small | Large

brian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 02:13:09 PM »
thank you for posting this question, this comes into me asking what if one can gain such realizations but still have bag loads of negative karma, wouldn't his positive rebirth be hindered as well? I can only come to the logic that one wrong action, one bad karma and that negative karma do not come straight away but will only ripen when condition and situation meets. Then bad karma will manifest.

for example, if one were supposed to be bitten by a dog when he reaches at the park of his neighborhood, he will not be bitten as long as the day of him walking along the park.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 09:49:11 AM »

Would that mean that we understand Karma and practise virtuous ways and hold our refuge vows, then our rebirth will not be controlled by whatever karma arises at point of death but rather we can activate positive thoughts for a better rebirth.

Definitely point 3 of having realisations can choose reincarnation instead of rebirth is understood by me.  But seem so very out of reach for me at this moment.

Thank you for raising this very important question. 

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 10:07:26 AM »
Many would think that death is far away. Maybe in 20, 30, or 50 years. For many that may be true for others death can come tomorrow. That is first lesson.

It is true that were we will go, whether to hell or heaven (simple enough that most major religion belief in both heaven and hell) depends on virtually the last thoughts before we die as this thought carries forward and "decides" if we go to hell or heaven. (In Buddhism, there are 6 realms of hell, ghost, animal, human, demi gods and gods realms); depending on whether our thoughts at the moment of death is virtuous or not.

But the point 2 pronged. Firstly, we do not know when we are going to die. Hence, better to always keep a virtuous mind. Second, the the thoughts that we have at the moment of death depends on the thoughts a moment before it and that depends on the moment before it and so on all the back to this moment. Hence, we need to start to have virtuous thoughts now and keep it virtuous until we die , otherwise, it follows, we will never have virtuous at the moment of death. In that case...we are doomed....!

So start practicing now.!

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »
Many would think that death is far away. Maybe in 20, 30, or 50 years. For many that may be true for others death can come tomorrow. That is first lesson.

It is true that were we will go, whether to hell or heaven (simple enough that most major religion belief in both heaven and hell) depends on virtually the last thoughts before we die as this thought carries forward and "decides" if we go to hell or heaven. (In Buddhism, there are 6 realms of hell, ghost, animal, human, demi gods and gods realms); depending on whether our thoughts at the moment of death is virtuous or not.

But the point 2 pronged. Firstly, we do not know when we are going to die. Hence, better to always keep a virtuous mind. Second, the the thoughts that we have at the moment of death depends on the thoughts a moment before it and that depends on the moment before it and so on all the back to this moment. Hence, we need to start to have virtuous thoughts now and keep it virtuous until we die , otherwise, it follows, we will never have virtuous at the moment of death. In that case...we are doomed....!

So start practicing now.!

Thank you Yontenjamyang, your explanations are crystal clear.  Have virtuous thoughts every moment as a continuous training.  Not easy but for a better rebirth, start now as we do not when death occurs.

eyesoftara

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 09:57:43 AM »
Dondrup,

Just like to add that the best and the most virtuous would be the Guru's activity and these activities are usually customized for us. So the best is to practice to the Guru's instruction. Pabongka Rinpoche said in the Lamrim that it is difficult for ourselves to generate virtuous thoughts and deeds. But in the Gurus activities and mandala, by the power of the Guru's Enlightened motivations, even non virtuous thoughts will have some level of positivity. Like perfume on dung....still smells a little purfume. Like that imagine then we continue generate merits and wisdom by study, contemplations and Dharma work under the Guru's guidance we should continue to generate virtuous thoughts more easily....!
By the way the last part should be our measuring stick in our practice.

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 12:08:11 PM »
Which would we choose? The choice would be to take a good rebirth as the choice but can we, if we do not do anything it or create the cause for it to happen? One of the most crucial factor of the mind at the moment of death is to have a calm mind with virtuous thoughts or the image of a Buddha or protector, if possible, unless it is sudden death where most likely we do not have control over at that moment. Then that leave the "throwing karma" to take place.

cookie

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 09:06:32 AM »
Wow ! If I really have the perfect conditions to choose, I would choose to serve my Guru every moment of my current and future lifetimes; to help my Guru spread the Dharma far and wide in order to benefit all sentient beings. In order to do this I need to have control over all my rebirths. I need to develop a most virtuous mind of wisdom and compassion free of all delusions.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »
Great aspiration, Cookie and such merits to be able to do so.

It takes a lot of merits to be able to serve our Guru 24/7 and of course if we succeed, enlightenment will be our goal.  Milerapa all over again and again for us as students to aspire for.

eyesoftara

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 05:22:04 AM »
When we are taught the Pujas, we are taught that the Pujas are for accumulating merits and purifications of negative karmas. But what is important is that when we are off our meditation cushion ie the other 23 hours that we are not doing the pujas, we must practice the Dharma. The most effective for ordinary practitioners are the practices of "relative boddhicitta" via the first four perfections, or generosity, ethics, patience and effort. We will study, contemplate and put into practice these perfections with the motivation of Boddhiccita and by the blessing of the Guru, we will modify our behaviour from that of non-virtuuos to that is virtuous.
In this way, we are practicing and getting ourselves ready for the moment of our death for if in every moment our minds are virtuous it is most likely to be so at the time of our death.

cookie

• Email
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 10:13:31 AM »
Yes Dondrub. Thank you for your encouragement. For me there's no better way to share the Dharma and grow the Dharma besides serving my Guru as He has the Wisdom and Compassion to know whats best to do to help sentient beings ! May I be able to do this lifetime after lifetime !!

Tracy

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 09:01:26 AM »
I believe in reincarnation and karma. How we are now is due to our previous actions. The actions can be done in this life or in our previous lives. How we want us to be in the future depends on what we do now. So it is our choice whether we want to have a better future life or we don't.

If we are experiencing sufferings or going through some difficulties, we should rejoice. It is us experiencing our negative karma. Once we have experienced it, it will be over and done with. If we experience it with anger, it will only create more negative karma and we will suffer more in the future.

Many people say life is unfair, why certain people are lucky and have a good life but some don't. Life is actually fair because we must have created the causes to experience the good or the bad. Being born in a comfortable environment may not be a blessing if it makes us more self-indulged. Whether we are in a comfortable or difficult environment, the important thing is we must always cultivate good qualities such as kindness and compassion.

SabS

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 02:52:58 AM »
This is an interesting question. I had never really given much thought to the difference between reincarnation and rebirth. Now that I know better, I would definitely prefer to be the one in control which equates to reincarnation. Who wouldn't? As taught, control of our mind at the point of death is what will affect our rebirth/reincarnation. So comes the important practice of death meditation where we familiarise ourselves in every possible death situation and are able to handle it calmly without shock or attachments that will throw us into potential rebirth in the lower realms. That is the scary part. Just the split second negative thought affecting our whole new lives. Imagine if we just became an animal, how are we learn or practice to gain any attainments? It is so important that we realize this to put all our efforts into our practices to control at the time of death our wayward minds.