Author Topic: Which would you pick?  (Read 10847 times)

Rihanna

Re: Which would you pick?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 11:56:21 AM »
Being born rich or poor is not the result of good karma or bad karma. If one is born with a silver spoon and wastes his life away by living a frivolous life, then it is a result of bad karma to be reborn in that state. If he uses his family position and wealth to benefit others, then it is the result of good karma.

Similarly if you turn the situation around, if he was born poor and has to toil the fields day in and day out, and all he could think of is his own survival, then that is the result of bad karma to be reborn in that situation.

Having said that, i would pick Resident B. Lesser of the two evil. At least I have resources to share....

Midakpa

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 12:30:55 PM »
This story teaches the importance of dana, the act of cultivating charity as a virtue (represented by resident B) and of the disadvantage of selfishness and craving (represented by resident A). So naturally I would pick B. In Buddhism, dana is an important quality to be practised and it is the first perfection practised by the Buddha in His previous births while searching for enlightenment. When giving, one should give with one's heart and mind and at the same time exercise wisdom, recalling that dana is performed in appreciation of the qualities and virtues of the Three Jewels.

dondrup

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »
I would prefer to be born in a very poor family than a very rich family. 

Being very poor provides me the conditions to appreciate suffering better than being very rich. With this appreciation and knowledge, I can do the necessary practice to change myself for the better.  On the other hand I may not be able to appreciate what suffering is if I am very rich.  However, even though I am born in a very poor family, but if I had a good karma, I will enjoy my family and the conditions surrounding it. Similarly, even if I am born in a very rich family, but if I have a bad karma, I may not enjoy my family and the conditions surrounding it.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 10:15:06 AM »
Well you have given away the answer. Obviously many will pick B.

However, whether one is born poor or rich doesn't really matter. It is the result of the condition one is born into that matters. That means what one does with the situation.
From the story, A seems to have a greedy motivation and B chose to give away money. The result is that A is born poor and B rich.

From the Lamrim, the 7 attributes of a high lineage of human life are nobility, beauty, resources (wealth), power, wisdom, health and long life. (There is an eighth attribute ie being born male which is not so applicable in this modern age as women has the same opportunities now). With these 7 attributes one can create the causes for whatever human life one wants. Human life being the most precious compared to the other 5 (hell, hungry ghost, animals, demi gods and gods), one can practice all the way to achieve Buddhahood.

The cause of be rich is generosity as the story correctly portrayed.

So, from this point of view, being born rich certainly has the advantages. Also, being born into a billionaire's family, we may deduce the attributes of nobility, beauty (haven't seen an ugly child from the rich, haha!), power, health ( better medical care, though not guaranteed).

So being born a human is very very precious. Being born with these attribute gives the opportunity to be reborn again and again as humans if one practice morality and prayers (the main cause of a human rebirth).

So in the final analysis, I will definite choose B, with one final wish; that is to meet the Dharma.