Author Topic: Why do we go on pilgrimages?  (Read 9790 times)

KhedrubGyatso

• Email
Why do we go on pilgrimages?
« on: June 29, 2012, 02:06:03 AM »
All religions have their holy and sacred places. Islam has their Mecca, Christians hv Jerusalem, Hindus have Uttar Pradesh, Catholics, the Vatican city. It is almost a common call for all religious  faithfuls to make a pilgrimage to the holy sites of their religion at least once in their lifetime or annually.
There are many who go on pilgrimages  with the attitude of a tourist.  The significance and purpose of pilgrimages downgrade to just doing some prayers and rushing off to see the sights and sounds and other sensory attractions that the pilgrimage cities offer.
Being at the holy sites, connect us with the blessed energies of the places where holy beings have chosen to take rebirth, gain realizations, expound wisdom and  truth , or pass away. These are places where holy beings existed, practised tirelessly and selflessly for the sake of countless beings.
When we spend time in these places to perform the rites and rituals , we create the direct causes to attain the same qualities of selflessness, love, compassion and other virtuous qualities of these holy beings.
Buddhists traditionally make pilgrimages to 4 holy places . Buddhas birthplace, place where he attained enlightenment, place where he gave his first teachings, place where he passed away.
How do we benefit karmically  and specifically by visiting each of these different places?

bambi

Re: Why do we go on pilgrimages?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 05:51:50 AM »
Lord Buddha said:

Monks, after my passing away, if all the sons and daughters of good family and the faithful, so long as they live, go to the four holy places, they should go and remember: here at Lumbini the enlightened one was born; here at Bodhgaya he attained enlightenment; here at Sarnath he turned twelve wheels of Dharma; and here at Kushinagar he entered parinirvana.

Monks, after my passing away there will be activities such as circumambulation of these places and prostration to them.

Thus it should be told, for they who have faith in my deeds and awareness of their own will travel to higher states.

After my passing away, the new monks who come and ask of the doctrine should be told of these four places and advised that a pilgrimage to them will help purify their previously accumulated negative karmas, even the five heinous actions.

- Lumbini the birthplace of the Buddha
- Bodhgaya the site of Buddha's enlightenment
- Sarnath where Buddha first turned the Wheel of Dharma
- Rajgir where Buddha gave the second turning of the Wheel of Dharma
- Shravasti where Buddha gave many teachings in the Jetavana Grove
- Sankashya where Lord Buddha descended from Tushita Heaven
- Nalanda the site of the great monastic university
- Kushinagar where Buddha entered Mahaparinirvana

The benefits of visiting the holy places as mentioned by Buddha are many. From my understanding, it is as follows.

Many of us go on a pilgrimage so that we can clear our obstacles, purification for those suffering sickness, purification of negative karma, request for blessings, circumambulate and increase ones merits because of the energy that it exudes and the offerings we offer. Such places contain the relics and energy left behind by the Enlightened one. We should contemplate, do meditations, remember His teachings, reflect and be inspired for what He have achieved so that we can attain the same devotion and be like Him. Karmically, we create the causes to gain higher understanding of teachings, make strong connections, gain inspiration, to be able to receive tantric teachings and purification of negative karma.

ratanasutra

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:48:40 AM »
I think there are many reasons why we go on pilgrimage, some with the intention to visit the holy places in order to get the energy, being inspire and do some prayers over there to generate some merit and purify negative karma. For some just want to company their friend or family member but no nothing about it, some just want to go to discover and experience it and some just a pure sightseeing.

I was very fortunate to go to Bodhgaya, the site of Buddha's enlightenment with my teacher. He taught us what we should think and do during we were there. He gave us a teaching, we did a group prayer, meditation, circumambulate around the stupa, did prostration, made candle offering, made fruit and flower offering and a new set of robe to Buddha statue in Bodhgaya etc. There was a very meaningful trip for me as i understood more about Buddha and the effort, patience etc he put into the practice in order to gain enlightenment to benefit others and I believed that from this trip I had purify some of my negative karmas and collect some more merit too.

Here is the Purpose of Going on a Pilgrimage - by Shangpa Rinpoche 4th October 2009
http://www.shangpa.org/teachings/WhyWeShouldGoOnPilgrimage.pdf

As a Buddhist, we should perform wholesome actions and think wholesome and bene?cial thoughts. One wholesome thought and action is to plan for and go for a pilgrimage. Buddha Shakyamuni said that after he entered parinirvana, all the places he has visited to give teachings and performed special retreats should be visited by followers. By visiting, they would get inspiration for practice, remember Buddha?s teachings and do re?ection on their own practice.

There are actually 3 categories of pilgrimages.

1st is when one feels bored with where one?s staying and want to refresh oneself by ?nding a special place to relax in. One is like a tourist. It does help to visit holy places as these places have blessings and special energy. You will feel joy when you are there. However, this is not the best type of pilgrimage.

The 2nd category is when one knows the Dharma and wants to clear one?s obstacles and believe that visiting holy places can clear one?s obstacles and increase one?s fortune.

The last is pilgrimage without worldly attachment, to simply go to holy places to be inspired to follow in the ways of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. This is the best type of pilgrimage. Even though the 1st and 2nd categories are not the best, still the pilgrimage will be meaningful to us. If you take an arduous journey without knowing the meaning of going on a pilgrimage, only to see a few rocks or a pool of water at the end, you may feel frustrated. But if you have the right purpose and know the meaning of going on a pilgrimage, you know that it represents that the quality of enlightenment is already there for us to realize.

Going on a pilgrimage is also a kind of puri?cation, one with the suffering of sickness and discomfort. We try every means to purify our karma, if we can successfully overcome hardship encountered during the process of going on a pilgrimage, that is de?nitely puri?cation.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:09:35 AM »
From :  http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhistworld/about-pilgrim.htm

The earliest centres of Buddhist pilgrimages were the places associated with the life and Teachings of the great Master. These four places are Lumbini, Bodh Gaya, Sarnath and Kusinara. Lumbini, in what is now Nepal, is the birthplace of Gautama Buddha. The others are in India: Bodh Gaya was the place, under the pipal or Bo tree, where the Buddha was enlightened after practising meditation for several years. Sarnath was the scene of His first teaching and Kusinara was the place of His death or final Nirvana.

After the death of the Buddha, the relics of His body were collected from the funeral pyre and divided into eight parts. These were distributed to the claimants and stupas, or burial mounds, were erected on the relics. The practice of pilgrimage in Buddhism probably started with visits to these places, the purpose of which was to achieve personal advantage such as rebirth in a good location, as well as to honour the great master.

Out of these 4 great places :  Lumbini, Bodh Gaya, Sarnath and Kusinara - 3 site remain that I have not visited.  A few years ago I went with a big group of pilgrims to Bodhgaya. Some of the pilgrims brought their family members.

It was a purification trip, as we went through an experience new to us.  We would wake up very early in the cold dark wintry mornings, wash in the freezing water and make our way to the stupa for circumambulation, prayers and prostration.  Trying to read our prayer book in the dark was an exercise in itself, juggling to keep our hands under our coat and trying to balance a torch light in between.

We learnt to make do with whatever food was served to us, not being used to their style of cooking.  But we survived so it was no big deal.

We went for candle offerings at night, bring fruits and flowers during the day, and offering of robes to Buddha's holy statue in the temple.

With whatever merits accumulated during the few days there, we were very happy that we made that wonderful trip to such a holy site.  May I be able to visit the other holy sites.

pgdharma

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »

Pilgrimage is a religious journey to a religious place and for the majority of Buddhist, going on a pilgrimage is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Going on a pilgrimage helps Buddhists to learn more about the Dharma. As devotion is an important part of the Buddhists practice, the benefits of going on pilgrimages is to seek inspiration which will allow them to have time to reflect on themselves, to discover things about themselves and making progress on their spiritual journey and it is a way of gaining merit.

The Buddha himself advised us to visit those places where he was born (Lumbini), where he attained Enlightenment (BodhGaya), where he preached the First Sermon (Sarnath) and where he passed away into Mahaparinibbana  (Kusinara), and look upon them with feelings of reverence. By showing veneration or reverence at the holy shrines, one is able to purify one’s thought, speech and action. In this way, the pilgrim is endowed with the morality of Right Thought, Right Speech and Right Action. So we can see that visiting the places of pilgrimage with the correct mental attitude can help us in our practice of the Buddha’s Teaching.

ratanasutra

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 04:19:41 PM »
Here are pictures of places which the Buddha advise us to visit :

- Lumbini the birthplace of the Buddha
- Bodhgaya the site of Buddha's enlightenment
- Sarnath where Buddha first turned the Wheel of Dharma
- Kushinagar where Buddha entered Mahaparinirvana

hope rainbow

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 04:38:25 PM »
I think we go on pilgrimage to take time "off" the worldly and contemplate on the supra-mundane while doing the actual journey towards a holy place.
Just like Europe had the pilgrimage to Spain which took a few weeks depending where one would start from in Europe, these few weeks were a time of reflection and movement, a time during which one was to meet with people along the way and learn and progress on the spiritual journey in the company of other fellow pilgrims. This pilgrimage is the real deal, one of travelling from a worldly place towards a holy place with one's body and one's mind.

biggyboy

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 06:32:06 PM »
One should visit holy places at least once in their lifetime.  Buddha did not insist that every Buddhist has to go on such pilgrimages but suggested so as a means to gather and to benefit one another with the Dharma via the practice of reverencing Buddha, retracing the significant places he went and recall/contemplate on the teachings given there.  Buddha mentioned that even dying faithfully on a pilgrimage leads to a good rebirth, such a pilgrimage is literally ‘worth dying for’, even though this is not compulsory!

•   Lumbini  – where Buddha was born .  By visiting this place, one creates the karma to have control of one’s own rebirth; create causes to be born in pleasant places where one will have the right conditions and opportunities to practise dharma.

•   Bodhgaya – Buddha gained supreme enlightenment.  Dharma seeds will be planted  to gain Enlightenment;  one will go towards the path of Enlightenment in all future lifetimes; even if fail to attain Enlightenment within Buddha Shakyamuni’s age, one creates the causes to be among Maitreya, the future Buddha, when he manifests.

•   Sarnath - Buddha set rolling the unexcelled wheel of dharma.  When here, one creates the karma to have dharma penetrate one’s mind and able to transform when receiving teachings, able to sponsor, propagate and combine together towards the growth of dharma.  Also able to speak and share dharma to others.

•   Kushinagar – When visit the place Buddha passed away, one creates the cause to increase life span to be able to engage in spiritual practice and gain enlightenment.  One will not die ordinary deaths with fear, anxiety, and create causes to have control over death and rebirth.

Carpenter

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 07:14:09 PM »
A pilgrimage is a journey to a sacred destination. This journey of discovery can be internal or external. People have participated in pilgrimages for many centuries. They are a spiritual discipline that many faiths value including Muslims, Christians and Jews, according to On Pilgrimage. Many people feel a calling to embark on a pilgrimage as a means to delve deeper in spiritual matters. There are numerous places that are considered holy to choose as a destination. Mecca, Lourdes and Jerusalem are popular choices. There are various reasons to go on a pilgrimage. One is so that modern spiritual seekers can enrich their spirituality.

Pilgrimages are a part of nearly every religion. The faithful set out in hopes of finding virtue and gaining merit. Among Buddhists, they visit places where a spiritual master once spent time meditating. His presence makes the place seem somehow blessed or charged, as if there is some kind of electricity around it. Pilgrims come to feel these mysterious vibrations. They try to share in the visions of the master. Along their road, they undertake hardship with no thought of material reward. Their every step, every movement, becomes filled with a sense of spiritual progress. Many intensify the sense of hardship along the way by going barefoot, or reciting prayers or mantras, and so increase the spiritual merit they gain.

Buddhists believe that merit is accumulated when you take part in something religious, with discipline and faith, because in doing so you shape a proper attitude within. With the right attitude, any journey to a sacred place becomes a pilgrimage. In our tradition, the Buddha advised that in times to come people interested in his teachings should be told about the places associated with the major events of his life. His purpose was not to ensure the aggrandizement of the person of the Buddha, but rather the welfare of his followers. We believe that expressing respect and admiration for the qualities of the Buddha–by making offerings or undertaking a pilgrimage–contributes to our own spiritual progress.

biggyboy

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 04:20:37 PM »
Different people go on a pilgrimage for different reasons. Some go to fulfill certain vows, some to purify negative karma, some to receive blessings and some to pray for miracles and help. For whatever reason it may be, it is a journey of great spiritual significance. It is like going back to the core.

It is a journey to renew our faith, to receive the energy and inspiration. It is important to periodically make the journey to draw us back on the right path should our practice deviate over time.

A trip to such a holy place always leaves an indelible mark in our life to inspire us to greater heights, strong motivation to achieve more in dharma service.

I have yet to come across anyone who does not return from a pilgrimage truly inspired, spiritually charged and ready to go.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »
Just to add, anyone who dies on such a pilgrimage to the four places undertaken with strong faith will be reborn in a heavenly realm or Pure Land due to the merit of going for pilgrimage for reverencing the Buddha.

The Buddha did not insist that every Buddhist has to go on such a pilgrimage, but suggested so as a means for both monastics and laity, similar to those in his time, to gather to benefit one another with the Dharma via the practice of reverencing him, as they retrace the significant places he went and recall the teachings given there.

I read before the history of how this came about:
In the last sermon (Mahaparinibbana Sutta) by the Buddha, Ananda, his attendant disciple, remarked that the monastics used to gather after the seasonal rains retreat to meet and wait upon the Buddha, thereby also benefiting from the company of revered monastics, that after the Buddha’s physical passing, these benefits would cease to be available (as there would be no more cause to gather).

To that, the Buddha replied that there are four places that the pious should visit with feelings of reverence – where he was born (Lumbini), where he attained supreme enlightenment (Bodhgaya), where he set rolling the unexcelled wheel of the Dharma (Sarnath), and where he passed into parinirvana (Kushinagara). He added that, as attested today, there will indeed be pious monks and nuns, laymen and laywomen, who visit these places.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »
Pilgrimages are made to connect with our faith and to see the places where the origin of our faith begins, may we be Muslims, Catholics, Hindus, Taoist, Buddhists etc.

Although there are specific places for each religion, I like to think that whichever place that we go to that connects us to our faith is a form or pilgrimage.  As a Buddhist, I have not been to any of the 4 holy places of Gautama Buddha, but I have been to the monasteries of my Root Guru and also a most beautiful chapel of my protector, Dorje Shugden and I have felt extremely grateful to have the opportunity to have been there.

What is most important is the attitude on a pilgrimage.  For me it is about connecting to the root of my faith.

However as a Buddhist I truly hope to visit the holy sites of Lord Guatama Buddha.  May I have the merits to do so.

pinecone

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 03:21:11 PM »
From the parinibbana sutta, Digha Nikaya:
”Ananda, there are four places the sight of which will arouse strong emotion in those with faith. Which four? Here the Tathagata (enlightened one) was born, this is the first place. Here the Tathagata attained Enlightenment, this is the second place. Here the Tathagata set in motion the Wheel of the Dhamma, this is the third place. Here the Tathagata attained final Nibbana (Nirvana) without remainder, this is the fourth place. The monk or nun, layman or laywoman, who has faith should visit these places. And anyone who dies while making a pilgrimage to these places with a devout heart will, at the breaking up of the body, be reborn in heaven.”

It just occurred to me that the four places of pilgrimage consist of the entire path from a noble birth of a great being due to his stainless prayers and vows to return to benefit sentient beings. In Bodh Gaya , he demonstrates the method to complete cessation and most importantly, the turning of dharma wheel , the very essential deeds of benefitting others by teaching them the way and method to their own cessation. Finally, in Kusinara he teaches even an enlightened being with a human aggregates are not spared from impermanent and that procrastinating of our own liberation are the top of the foolish one. Hence, by visiting these four sacred places in the correct sequence will eventually receive the blessings from the great sage that will ripen in us in near future.