Author Topic: Samdhong Rinpoche's stance on self-immolation.  (Read 5915 times)

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
Samdhong Rinpoche's stance on self-immolation.
« on: June 20, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »
I chance by this short video of HE Kalon Trisur Samdhong Rinpoche giving a speech regarding the people in Tibet who self-immolated and his stand. Rinpoche gave a few examples of other traditions which are similar in imposing harm to oneself.

In the second part of the speech, Rinpoche outright spoke againts this practice of self-immolation, highlighting even the HHDL discourages this practice. So it is high time we bring this news out to people. LIFE IS IMPORTANT AND IT SHOULD NOT BE SACRIFICED!!!

Small | Large

Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

dsiluvu

Re: Samdhong Rinpoche's stance on self-immolation.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:38:11 PM »
In 1963, Thich Quang Duc, a Vietnamese monk set fire to himself at a busy Saigon intersection. The famous Pulitzer Prize winning photograph by Malcolm Browne of the burning monk sitting serenely in the lotus position surrounded by flames, became a worldwide sensation and contributed to fall of the Diem regime. At the time Beijing openly praised the action of the Vietnamese monk and distributed millions of copies of the photo (pirated of course) throughout Asia and Africa as evidence of “US imperialism”. Other Vietnamese monks and a nun subsequently set fire to themselves to protest the war.

Self-immolation appear to be an unusual though accepted Buddhist traditio in China and parts of South East Asia. There are numerous cases in Chinese history, especially during the Qing period, of such acts being performed as political protest (see Burning for the Buddha: Self-immolation in Chinese Buddhism by James A. Benn). In 1948 in the city of Harbin a monk seated himself in the lotus position on a pile of sawdust and soybean oil and set fire to himself in protest against the treatment of Buddhism by Mao Zedong’s Communists.

The main inspiration for the practice appears to be based on a teaching in The Lotus Sutra (Tib. dam chos pad-ma dkar po’i mdo). One chapter of this sutra recounts the life story of the Bodhisattva Medicine King who demonstrated his insight into the selfless nature of his body by ritualistically setting his body aflame, spreading the “Light of the Dharma” for twelve hundred years.

But I think that the spiritual motivation for the sacrifice of our young monks and nuns in Tibet might have come from another direction. Forty-five kilometers south-east of Katmandu is one of the most popular pilgrimage sites for Tibetans visiting Nepal. The hill of Namo Buddha (or Tagmo Lujin in Tibetan) is – the Golden Light Sutra (phags pa gser ‘od dam pa’i mdo) tells us – the very place where the Buddha (in a previous incarnation) gave up his body to feed a starving tigress and her four cubs. This is a popular Jataka story with all Tibetans and is often brought up in conversations whenever an example of self-sacrifice or selfless conduct is required. There are other such Jataka or Avadana stories of the Buddha giving up his life for others, a well known one from the mahakapi jataka being the tale of the Great Monkey King who died saving the lives of his “80,000” monkey subjects.

The courageous action of the thirteen self-immolators in Tibet must be seen in this specific doctrinal light. I emphatically disagree with the opinion some people are circulating that the monks and nuns burnt themselves in despair because they were not allowed to practice their religion. If that were the main concern of these monks and nuns then the logical course of action for them to take would have been to escape to India, as many others had done so before. Kirti monastery, where most of the young self-immolators had studied, even has a large branch at Dharamshala where they would have been welcome.

Hence we must see the self-immolations in Tibet as action taken for the welfare of others, for the freedom of the Tibetan people and the independence of Tibet (as some of the self-immolators expressly stated). Even the call by most of the self-immolators for the return of the Dalai Lama to Tibet must be interpreted as a call for the restoration of an independent Tibet, as the Dalai Lama is regarded as the legitimate sovereign ruler of independent Tibet, and should not merely be interpreted as a plea for the return of a personal spiritual leader, as those attempting to de-politicize the events have been claiming.

Source: http://buddhistkarma.blogspot.com/2012/01/self-immolation-and-buddhism.html

Seeing how some actually view this as a holy Dharmic courageous act still only tells there will probably be more burning coming, if this is what the Tibetans are thinking. Or are they being too attached to the idea of Tibet is "their country" hence wishing for "independence" still.

The thing even if China says ok I give Tibet back to you Tibetans... can the CTA lead and be able to provide for their people? And what measurable results can they do to improve the Tibetans well fare? And without HHDL... can they still sustain? I doubt that very much because as it is with HHDL now still alive, we still have not seen any significant improvement is Tibetans in exile... on top of that there is disunity... this silly ban!!! [sigh]

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 04:44:45 AM »
As much as CTA wants to believe (and wants the whole world to believe too) that the Tibetans immolated themselves due to the religious oppression that China has imposed on them, anyone visiting china will see how monasteries are allowed to thrive with no problems at all although at some places the local government requires the temple to collect an entrance fee that goes back to the local government's pockets (but that's just a small issue as the temple is still allowed to open). Okay, so if a few loves CTA and HHDL, but cannot worship him in the open...why not worship Chenrenzig and visualize that it is HHDL instead? Why so dramatic and make a problem out of nothing? Just work around the limitations that are in that area.

So, it is pretty clear now that it is not HHDL himself that incited the self immolations but the CTA. Of course HHDL cant say that in public, so he says that it is China's fault for not understanding the Tibetans better as they do not know their needs or their dispositions, or how to actually pacify them in the proper way other than inciting fear. In that aspect, HHDL is correct when he made that statement, but further self immolations could have been prevented with the CTA speaking up instead.

Big Uncle

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 07:13:52 AM »
As much as CTA wants to believe (and wants the whole world to believe too) that the Tibetans immolated themselves due to the religious oppression that China has imposed on them, anyone visiting china will see how monasteries are allowed to thrive with no problems at all although at some places the local government requires the temple to collect an entrance fee that goes back to the local government's pockets (but that's just a small issue as the temple is still allowed to open). Okay, so if a few loves CTA and HHDL, but cannot worship him in the open...why not worship Chenrenzig and visualize that it is HHDL instead? Why so dramatic and make a problem out of nothing? Just work around the limitations that are in that area.

So, it is pretty clear now that it is not HHDL himself that incited the self immolations but the CTA. Of course HHDL cant say that in public, so he says that it is China's fault for not understanding the Tibetans better as they do not know their needs or their dispositions, or how to actually pacify them in the proper way other than inciting fear. In that aspect, HHDL is correct when he made that statement, but further self immolations could have been prevented with the CTA speaking up instead.

You have a point there. Self-immolation in Tibet is politically motivated and it appears to be meant to destabilized Chinese rule. The outcome of the self-immolation reflects their real motivation. The Chinese I heard are clamping down harder on the monks and monasteries. I hope the other monks have learnt their lesson. The self-immolation will drive the Chinese to take harsher measures to stamp out such acts. It is good that Samdhong Rinpoche speaks out on this practice.

I am in no position to tell the monks what they should do but if I were a Tibetan monk in China, there must be other ways that i could do to make things different. Perhaps, it would be to work towards making Tibetan Buddhism so well known that the authorities would never deny the rights of Tibetan monks and its practitioners. That would make the Chinese have even less restrictions in China so Dharma can spread in China too.  I think that is far better cause to work towards that would show through devotion instead of sacrificing one's life towards achieving nothing.

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 01:51:48 AM »

You have a point there. Self-immolation in Tibet is politically motivated and it appears to be meant to destabilized Chinese rule. The outcome of the self-immolation reflects their real motivation. The Chinese I heard are clamping down harder on the monks and monasteries. I hope the other monks have learnt their lesson. The self-immolation will drive the Chinese to take harsher measures to stamp out such acts. It is good that Samdhong Rinpoche speaks out on this practice.

I am in no position to tell the monks what they should do but if I were a Tibetan monk in China, there must be other ways that i could do to make things different. Perhaps, it would be to work towards making Tibetan Buddhism so well known that the authorities would never deny the rights of Tibetan monks and its practitioners. That would make the Chinese have even less restrictions in China so Dharma can spread in China too.  I think that is far better cause to work towards that would show through devotion instead of sacrificing one's life towards achieving nothing.

I can't agree more with you on what you have just said. The three Great Seats of Lhasa; Gaden, Drepung and Sera were built based on the need to educate monks onto the great path of Enlightenment. One great virtue a monk should have is renunciation and great compassion for people as stated in the Great Lamrim Chenmo itself.

Although it is sad to learn that the act of self-immolation still happen, we can see the cause of this is the lack of stringent spiritual education which these people have not went through due to either suppression of the local government towards the monasteries or simply the fact which these monks have not understood the real meaning of compassion.

I feel there is a dire need to start here right now to raise this awareness for education to be steadfastly established within the monasteries in Tibet in order to secure the future of both Buddhism and the monks so that such undesireable events do not recurr.
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

vajrastorm

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 08:23:27 AM »
Yes, I do agree with Samdhong Rinpoche that self-immolation by young monks and nuns in Tibet should be discouraged, as "life is important".

Harry Nephew is right that a possible cause of this self-immolation is the lack of proper education of these young monks and nuns, especially, in the important classical and seminal Dharma teachings and text, the Lamrim, The Graduated Stages of the Path to Enlightenment. Pabongkha Rinpoche's Lamrim, 'Liberation in The Palm of your Hand', has, as its first topic on the Actual Path itself, "The Optimum Human Rebirth".In this chapter of 'Liberation', we are taught that the optimum use of our rare and precious human rebirth is to attain Buddhahood and Full Enlightenment within this lifetime. 

The greatest manifestation of compassion for all beings is shown in an individual's determination to make optimum use of this rare and precious human rebirth by quickly completing this Path to attain Buddhahood within this lifetime, so as to return and help all mother beings to attain their own Enlightenment and complete freedom from Suffering.Gaining enlightenment quickly will help one realize more effectively a Bodhisattva's aspirations, as contained in the verse below from the great Shantideva:

'For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world'.

That's why compassionate Enlightened Beings and Bodhisattvas even take on the form of Dharma Protectors, like Dorje Shugden, and return again and again to "dispel the miseries of the world" and to help beings on their path to Enlightenment.   

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:18:49 AM »

At this juncture, this statement should not be made by Samdhong Rinpoche, but by the current Katri, Lobsang Sanggay, but what is he busy doing? probably plotting more self immolations...perhaps? he has not been doing much work as the Kalon Tripa. It is the Kalon Tripa's job after all to take over the Dalai Lama's secular and political roles, and the Dalai Lama has made it very clear that he will not comment on the self immolations as it will cause only more problems for CTA, as well as basically, pulling him out of his retirement...it would render his retirement from Tibetan politics useless if he were to do so. The sad part of this is that the Dalai Lama has taken upon himself to visit many different countries and communities to attempt to make a connection, while the Kalon Tripa sits and does nothing more than complain about how hard is it to handle the self immolations. :( The Changes that he has promised were not delivered and he still is doing nothing for the sake of the Tibetan people. The very least and the easiest thing he can do to assert his authority and for change is to lift the ban, but so far he has failed to do even that.

But at least, I am glad that Samdhong Rinpoche really cares about the Tibetans, more so than the Kalon Tripa. By the way, Samdhong Rinpoche used to be the Kalon Tripa. A least he cared more about the welfare of the people than Lobsang Sanggay, he cared enough to say directly that self immolation is wrong. I wish so much that Lobsang Sanggay would take a hint and do the right thing and just speak up against self immolation without using excuses like he is too afraid of offending the families of the self immolation victims. That is not a valid excuse at all because nothing can justify the acts of the self immolation victims as good, positive or even neutral. It is bad and it brings about harm to many no matter what anyone says or does. If Lobsang Sanggay speaks up against the self immolation, he will definitely gain the respect of the Chinese government and they will have a more positive response to him. Sadly, it is clear that he does not want to talk to China or does anything for the independence of Tibet. He cares more abut securing his position as Kalon Tripa and looking good. His lack of activity and him not saying the right things a person of his position should shows that.

If he could declare the ban against Dorje Shugden undemocratic, and leave the ban to the religions institutions to implement instead of making it a secular matter, I am sure that the Chinese govt would be impressed by his authority and he would be able to start talks with China with regards to Tibet. But since he did not, we all know his priorities are elsewhere...