Author Topic: Where would you place yr money too?  (Read 14687 times)

vajraD

Where would you place yr money too?
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:29:53 AM »
If you have a million dollars hard earn money in hand and you would like to donate them. Would you choose to give to the homeless, orphanage, old folks home or a dharma centre?

brian

• Email
Re: Where would you place yr money too?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 12:40:23 AM »
My reply to you will be to a Dharma Center. Dharma center is a 'hub' of benefiting sentient beings (i am talking about even spirits) through mantra chanting or a Dharma teachings. This is a place that transcend Buddha's teachings to everyone who comes for it. This is also a place where sentient beings come to receive help or to become a better person and plant seeds of enlightenment into their minds.

Hence it is very beneficial for whoever donates to a Dharma Centers. It is more beneficial than to do other charity as explained above. With Dharma Centers, one could help the orphans, old folks home and homeless what not. May everyone's suffering be eradicated with Dharma!

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 04:30:45 AM »
The main objective of unattained ordinary Dharma practitioners in our lives are to to accumulate merits and wisdom. Merits are generated only through the kindness of the Guru by doing any work of the Guru. Otherwise any act of goodness can only be deemed to have generated good karma. Hence, one should seek out a Guru suitable to one's aptitude and hopefully the Guru also agrees to having one as a disciple. Then one should take refuge in the Guru to seal the Guru-disciple relationship. Then by the power of good Samaya to the Guru, any act in accordance with the Guru's wishes and aspirations can be consider to have generated merits. Of course it also depends on the motivation of the disciple in doing this work.

As such, if one has the money (any amount), one should donate to the Dharma Center rather then any other charities. Via the Dharma center, the money can then be channeled to support the Center, the Sangha, the Dharma work which may include orphanages, retirement homes or any needy causes. This is the wiser way to gain merits. Beyond money, one should work for the Dharma via the center as a way of serving the Guru. There can of course be other ways to serve the Guru as per the Guru's instructions.

Through serving the Guru, the Center and practicing the Dharma in our daily endeavors especially practicing the 8 verses of mind transformation and most importantly through studying the Lamrim/sutras and practicing the teachings, contemplation and prayers one accumulates wisdom.

As merits and wisdom goes hand in hand, by accumulating one we indirectly gain the other, we need to be wise that we need to strike a balance with both.  That is to say, we should not be over zealous in focusing on merits and forget about wisdom. Hence, if we know that the orphanage needs the money more than the Dharma center, of course then we should apply wisdom and donate to the orphanage.

So, it all depends on the situation.

Dolce Vita

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 12:13:12 AM »
Before knowing dharma, I think I would most likely donate it to an orphanage, to help them with their education. Now that I understand what spiritual practice really is, I would donate the money to a dharma centre.

Dharma is a subject area that really deal with our mind, how we perceive things and and people around us, how to deal with negativity in any situation. It is a method for us to change our lives by us taking full control of it. Giving money to people is to help them at a superficial level, if their hungry, we feed them; if they do not have money to go to school, we support them. But those things that we give them does not really help the in understanding how to solve their problems in difficulties, how to make bring harmony to their surrounding. Dharma on the other hand emphasises on good virtues, how to deal with difficulties, how to move on, how to bring harmony to our surrounding. It makes the poors rich.

How many rich people out there are truly happy? How many highly educated people are bringing harmony to the surrounding? What is lacking? I think dharma is the answer.

kurava

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 12:48:36 AM »
I would give 50% to the dharma centre and the rest to charity homes.

Spiritual organization exists to benefit people not only in this life time and the contribution we give will therefore help generate merits necessary to support our practice.

However, just like what a dharma protector functions to remove obstacles and bestow conducive conditions to practitioners by providing wealth, stability and clarity in mind, with wealth we can also do the same for others.

There are spiritual organizations eg. the Tzu Zhi organisation that channel funds to build orphanages, hospitals and old folks home. Through such efforts, thousands join these temples/centres. Ordinary people cannot relate the supra mundane benefits arise from donations towards spiritual centres but if a spiritual organisation engages in community works that bring immediate relief /benefits to the people, these actions will be the manifestation of the "compassion" Buddhism preaches. When people can see what they get, naturally they will be motivated to walk the spiritual path.

This avenue is nothing new, the Christian missionary has adopted this hundreds of years ago.

pgdharma

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »
My answer would be to a dharma center. By donating to the dharma center, we are supporting the dharma center to provide a comfortable and conducive environment for spiritual seekers to learn so that they can develop inner and outer peace. Every sentient being wants to be happy and we always look for happiness in the secular world.  However, spiritual practice is about nurturing our mind and with the transformation of our perspective and how we look at things we can change our mind  from negative to positive. From our transformation, when we have a limitless capacity for love, peace and happiness we will be able to help others in need. We will be able to cut off our self cherishing mind and provide food to the homeless, care and help the old folks and orphanages or any needy organizations. If there is no mind transformation, no matter how much money we have, we will not be able to let go of it due to our attachment. I believe most of us will not even consider donating our hard earned money to any charitable organizations but will instead spend it on our selves. 

Jessie Fong

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 06:20:36 AM »
I would divide my wealth between the charitable organisations and the dharma centre. 

Supporting the dharma centre is essential as it exists to be the nerve centre for the flourishing of dharma.  When a dharma centre has funds, it is able to apply the money into various projects to bring dharma to people e.g. dharma classes, community projects, children's classes.

Giving to charitable organisations will help in a small way to ensure their well beings, to provide better health benefits, to assist in providing education to orphans.

Either way, the money goes to helping others in the end.

nagaseeker

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 06:46:26 AM »
The main objective of unattained ordinary Dharma practitioners in our lives are to to accumulate merits and wisdom. Merits are generated only through the kindness of the Guru by doing any work of the Guru. Otherwise any act of goodness can only be deemed to have generated good karma. Hence, one should seek out a Guru suitable to one's aptitude and hopefully the Guru also agrees to having one as a disciple. Then one should take refuge in the Guru to seal the Guru-disciple relationship. Then by the power of good Samaya to the Guru, any act in accordance with the Guru's wishes and aspirations can be consider to have generated merits. Of course it also depends on the motivation of the disciple in doing this work.

As such, if one has the money (any amount), one should donate to the Dharma Center rather then any other charities. Via the Dharma center, the money can then be channeled to support the Center, the Sangha, the Dharma work which may include orphanages, retirement homes or any needy causes. This is the wiser way to gain merits. Beyond money, one should work for the Dharma via the center as a way of serving the Guru. There can of course be other ways to serve the Guru as per the Guru's instructions.

Through serving the Guru, the Center and practicing the Dharma in our daily endeavors especially practicing the 8 verses of mind transformation and most importantly through studying the Lamrim/sutras and practicing the teachings, contemplation and prayers one accumulates wisdom.

As merits and wisdom goes hand in hand, by accumulating one we indirectly gain the other, we need to be wise that we need to strike a balance with both.  That is to say, we should not be over zealous in focusing on merits and forget about wisdom. Hence, if we know that the orphanage needs the money more than the Dharma center, of course then we should apply wisdom and donate to the orphanage.

So, it all depends on the situation.
Great answer yontenjamyang ~
If i have a million dollars hard earn money in hand, i would donate 800k to dharma center.To me, Dharma center is a 'Hospital' where cure n heal ppl by providing conducive environment and knowledge .For long term wise , we should support dharma center so that more n more ppl gain knowledge from the center and develop compassion then there will be more ppl to help homeless, orphanage, old folks home, ect... we can't do much by ourself  but together we can combine the resources n help for long term ~
For the balance of 200k i will use it to invest so that i could continue to donate and never stop doing that !  :P

Q

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 06:52:17 AM »
Well... most Dharma centres are involved in many charity organisations, be it old folks, orphanages, animal shelters etc... so I'd definitely give the funds to a Dharma centre lol! Talk about killing 2 birds with 1 stone...

More importantly, we all know that monetary aid to these charity organisations do not bring much benefit except for relieving some of their material difficulties. However, when donated to a Dharma centre, the donation we make helps people in several levels.

dondrup

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 04:09:15 AM »
If I have a million dollars to donate away, i will donate to Dharma centres. Dharma centres are established to benefit all sentient beings not just in this life but for many future lives to come.  On our own, it is not easy to reach out to benefit countless others, however, when we donate money to Dharma centres, we are able to benefit countless sentient beings. 

Does it mean that it is not beneficial to donate money to the homeless, orphanage and old folks home? No. The homeless, orphanage and old folks home are worthy recipients of donations too.  If the homeless, orphanage and old folks home are in urgent need of funds to sustain their operations, then priority must be given to them. We are still benefiting others by donating to the homeless, orphanage and old folks home.

In short, it is making sure that the funds available are put to good use in the best possible manner.  Setting aside part of the funds to generate continuous funds for charity is a good option as mentioned by Nagaseeker.

Carpenter

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 04:55:14 AM »
When we have money to donate, regardless of 1 million or any amount, we must know how to max out the benefit, donating to Old folk home and orphanage home is very good and meritorious, but if use this same amount to donate to a dharma centre, as the nature of a dharma centre, it will be able to help more people. Same as what everyone are saying here, the range that a dharma centre can help is far much wider and further.
In the end, we must know why do we want to donate the money?

Jessie Fong

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 12:20:19 PM »
When we have money to donate, regardless of 1 million or any amount, we must know how to max out the benefit, donating to Old folk home and orphanage home is very good and meritorious, but if use this same amount to donate to a dharma centre, as the nature of a dharma centre, it will be able to help more people. Same as what everyone are saying here, the range that a dharma centre can help is far much wider and further.
In the end, we must know why do we want to donate the money?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carpenter : Having said so ... In the end, we must know why do we want to donate the money? ... if our intent is only to benefit beings, does it matter then whether the money is donated to a dharma centre or to any charitable organisations?  As I see it, in this case, the money goes out to benefit, regardless of race, culture or creed, and if I may add any being.

So if the intent is to help, then it does not matter who it goes to, right?  As long as the funds are properly channelled?  Cause when it comes to help, there must never be a distinction nor must there be an expectation that it must be reciprocate.

ratanasutra

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 03:50:43 PM »
If I have a millions dollar I will donate all to Dharma Centre as it will benefit most of sentient beings as simple as the Dharma centre is the place that help people out from suffering in both physical and mental.

Indeed every month we should make some donation to temple or Dharma centre to support  the growing of Buddism.  Dharma centre is a place which have practitioners who follow Buddha teaching and the place that teach the Buddha teaching with the practice along, we all also can learn the Dharma from Dharma centre. 

Reena Searl

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 07:14:56 PM »
If i have million dollars , I will donate all to Dharma centre,

Think about what the value of Dharma and your Teacher is to you.

Think about what other things you spend money and time on, and reflect whether they are truly bringing you lasting happiness.

Since i have a better understanding in Dharma, When vacations, buying clothes and electronics, I reflect on my Dharma practice and purchase wisely and always having Dharma budget in mind.

Tenzin K

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 11:59:25 PM »
Personally I would choose to donate to a dharma centre.  A dharma centre, they preserve and spread the teachings of Buddhism. It’s a spiritual school that makes us understand the truth of life, the purposes of life and from there how we can transform our mind to benefit more people. From this point more spiritual which consist of good qualities (kindness, compassion, non-selfish and etc.) people are form or develop and definitely from the people there are able to benefit more being inclusive other charity organization.

The key here is the dharma centre able to mold a great being for bigger purposes and eventually it will serve and benefit all people, all other charitable organization, all beings that we can see and some ses can’t and not just for this life time but for so many future lives time to come.