Author Topic: the basis for buddhist refuge vows.  (Read 14390 times)

bambi

Re: the basis for buddhist refuge vows.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 07:43:48 AM »
From my understanding, basis of Buddhist refuge vows is that you surrender yourself to the Triple Gem which is the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha for they can lead you to ultimate happiness. Check, study and understand before you do so as it will help a great deal. Of course it's not just about not harming others.

http://viewonbuddhism.org/refuge.html

"How do I become a Buddhist?
Once there was a man called Upali. He was the follower of another religion and he went to the Buddha in order to argue with him and try to convert him. But after talking to the Buddha, he was so impressed that he decided to become a follower of the Buddha.
But the Buddha said: "Make a proper investigation first. Proper investigation is good for a well-known person like yourself."
Upali: "Now I am even more pleased and satisfied when the Lord says to me: 'Make a proper investigation first.' For if members of another religion had secured me as a discipline they would have paraded a banner all around the town saying: 'Upali has joined our religion.' But the Lord says to me: Make a proper investigation first. Proper investigation is good for a well-known person like yourself."
In Buddhism, understanding is the most important thing and understanding takes time. So do not impulsively rush into Buddhism. Take your time, ask questions, consider carefully, and then make your decision. The Buddha was not interested in having a large number of disciples. He was concerned that people should follow his teachings as a result of a careful investigation and consideration of the facts.
From: Good Question, Good Answer by Bhikkhu Shravasti Dhammika
The idea behind taking refuge is that when it starts to rain, we like to find a shelter. The Buddhist shelter from the rain of problems and pain of life is threefold: the Buddha, his teachings (the Dharma) and the spiritual community (the Sangha). Taking refuge means that we have some understanding about suffering, and we have confidence that the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha (the "Three Jewels") can help us. We should however not be taking refuge in Buddhism to avoid problems in this very life, there are many non-religious organisations for that, but we should take refuge to avoid problems in future lives, or even better, to avoid future uncontrolled rebirths.

We like to be free from suffering, now and in future lives. When we understand the frustrating nature of all life, we like to be freed from cyclic existence in general. The best reason would be the wish to free all living (sentient) beings from suffering.

The analogy of sickness is often used; Buddha is the doctor; Dharma is the medicine; Sangha is the nurse; we are the patient; the cure is taking the medicine, which means practising the methods. Taking refuge is like unpacking the medicine and deciding to follow the doctor's advice. "To take refuge in the Buddha is to take refuge in someone who has let go of holding back just as you can do. To take refuge in the dharma is to take refuge in all the teachings that encourage you and nurture your inherent ability to let go of holding back. And to take refuge in the sangha is to take refuge in the community of people who share this longing to let go and open rather than shield themselves.The support we give each other as practitioners is not the usual samsaric support in which we all join the same team and complain about someone else. It's more that you're on your own, completely alone, but it's helpful to know that there are forty other people who are also going through this all by themselves. That's very supportive and encouraging. Fundamentally, even though other people can give you support, you do it yourself, and that's how you grow up in this process, rather than becoming more dependent."
From the book 'Start Where You Are' by Pema Chödrön

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 01:31:29 PM »
If we decide to go for refuge in the three jewels, we should also commit ourselves to the path we choose by keeping vows.
The one mandatory vow, always implicit in taking refuge, is not wanting to harm other sentient beings. Please note that depending on tradition and teacher, some differences can appear in the exact definitions of the vows.

Optional other vows are:

1. Not killing: refers to humans and animals; it is both harming sentient beings.
2. Not stealing: not taking what is not given; (this includes not paying taxes).
3. No sexual misconduct: refers usually to committing adultery (having sex with others when married).
4. Not lying: refers usually to not lying about spiritual attainments, but can include all lying.
5. No intoxicants; refers traditionally to alcohol, but anything robbing clarity of mind (like drugs) is usually included.

"Question: What is the difference between making a commitment by formally taking refuge (and precepts) and simply not harming? Why is the formal commitment important?
Answer: Suppose you make a commitment never to kill a dragon. Most people will never see a dragon in their entire lives; some think dragons don't exist. So, you might ask, why would anyone make a commitment not to kill a dragon? If you never kill a dragon, you aren't creating any non-virtue, yet at the same time you're not creating any virtue (merit). From the day you make a commitment not to kill a dragon, and continue to uphold that commitment, you're accumulating virtue. In taking refuge, you accumulate great virtue minute by minute as you uphold your vows.
From Chagdud Tulku: Gates to Buddhist Practice: Essential Teachings of a Tibetan Master

ratanasutra

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 01:21:33 PM »
The refuge vows is a guideline to protect us from create a non virtuous of our thought, speech and actions. After we have taken refuge and we hold the vows well we create a cause to not harm others as our actions are virtuous and we have a kind speech and our mind are free from anger, jealousy, malice and wrong view.

We will feel the happy as we not harm other, therefore we don’t feel guilt or regret in actions we did.
When we hold the refuge vows well, it also will help us to be able to hold the higher vows like bodhisattva vows or tantric vows.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 02:40:52 AM »
What is the basis for Buddhist refuge vows?
Is it to refrain to engage in actions that harm others?
Is this the basis?

Thank you for these insights... Here is my take on this:

I don't think that the basis of the refuge vows is to refrain from actions that arm others, per se.

I think that the basis for the refuge vows is to refrain from SELF-DESTRUCTIVE actions.

The side effect is that holding on to such vows results in not harming others
(harming others being a self-destructive action).

Then, when one is FREE from SELF-DESTRUCTIVE COMPULSIONS, one can start benefiting others.

I agree with what Hope Rainbow said. Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche once said that “By taking refuge, we are committing ourselves to freedom”. The purpose of taking refuge is to awaken from confusion and associate oneself with wakefulness. Taking refuge is a matter of commitment and acceptance and, at the same time, of openness and freedom. By taking the refuge vow we commit ourselves to freedom.

The Pratimoksha is a Buddhist moral discipline. A loose translation of the term is "personal liberation", and thus the discipline is concerned with the Buddhist's quest for personal liberation, and originated with the Pratimoksha Vows given by the Buddha to his followers. "Prati" means 'towards' or 'every', "moksha" liberation from cyclic existence. So first, we have to work towards liberating ourselves from cyclic existence. 

But what about Mahayana Buddhism and Bodhisattva vows ? The Bodhisattvas take a vow stating that they will strive for as long as samsara endures to liberate all sentient beings from samsara and lead them to enlightenment. The Bodhisattva does not seek bodhi (awakening/ enlightenment/ freedom) solely for him/herself, but chiefly for the sake of freeing all other beings and aiding them into the bliss of Nirvana.

RedLantern

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 03:57:14 PM »

Taking Vows creates powerful protection from falling to the lower realms at death and helps one to accumulate vast merit. These vows form the basis of a moral lifestyle which is seen as essential for successful meditation and spiritual progress of any kind.
REASONS FOR TAKING REFUGE VOW
from Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand by Pabongka Rinpoche:
1. You officially become a Buddhist
2. It is the foundation for the two other sets of more powerful vows.
3. It destroys bad deeds.
4. You are less likely to be born in a lower realm.
5. You accumulate great merit.
6. You are protected from harm.
7. You can achieve your goals.
8. You can attain Buddhahood.
The idea behind taking refuge is that when it starts to rain, we like to find a shelter.
The Buddhist vow is  shelter from the rain of problems and pain of life.

Midakpa

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 03:19:04 PM »
The proper causes for taking refuge are: (1) personal fear of samsara and the lower realms, and (2) the belief that the Three Jewels have the ability to protect us from these terrors. If we do not have both these causes, we will not take refuge purely. If we do not fear suffering, we will not think of seeking refuge. If we do not believe in the object of refuge, we will not remember our reliance on it as a refuge. [In the Lamrim] each of the three scopes contains its own version of the [first] cause for taking refuge. For the small scope it is: fear of going to the lower realms ourselves. For the medium scope: fear of samsara. For the great scope: such love and compassion that we cannot bear others suffering in samsara.

In Lozang Choekyi Gyaltsen's "Melodious Laughter of Lozang - Answers to 'Questions on the Whitest Altruism of All'":

"The true nature of taking refuge:
Taking refuge because one is most afraid
And because one knows the Three Jewels are able to protect.
This is what you meant, omniscient one."
(from Pabongka Rinpoche, "Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand", p. 353)

pinecone

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »
Before , I was never been able to accept  nor listen to any religious teachings, maybe egoistic or simply ignorance! It was then when my life was at crossroad,  despairing  ,  upon  learning the dharma,  gradually I began to accept my present condition and move on into my future. Thus, to  formalize my  commitment in the vow ceremony   will thereafter strengthen my  motivation and practice.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 04:39:00 AM »
To take refuge vows to the Three Jewels is to protect us and not to tie us down with the vows.
It is for us to check our mind and not to be sway away.  The vows are to keep us safe and continue on our spiritual path and do our dharma work sincerely.

Pema8

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 03:31:33 AM »
Taking refuge vows is to create a connection daily - to remind oneself, the Buddha has reached Enlightenment and we can too. The Dharma is the way to reach Enlightenment and the end to suffering. The Sangha will support our actions towards the final goal. The benefits of taking correct refuge is immeasurable