Author Topic: Who is Kache Marpo? Relations between 4-Faced Mahakala & Shugden  (Read 10506 times)

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
Who is Kache Marpo? Relations between 4-Faced Mahakala & Shugden
« on: November 26, 2011, 09:13:46 PM »
Do you know who Kache Marpo is?

See the latest article explaining this loyal attendant of Shugden: http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=10248

Who is He?

Kache Marpo is the main attendant to Dorje Shugden alongside Namkar Barzin. He is said to be the direct emanation of Hayagriva. Although Kache Marpo takes the appearance of a wordly form, he is fully enlightened.

Hayagriva is the wrathful form of Avalokiteshvara. His compassion transforms itself as a fierce and strong energy. He manifests his compassion through wrath to force us to overcome both our inner and outer worldly obstacles, in order for us to practice Dharma smoothly.

Therefore, Kache Marpo being an emanation of a Buddha is an Enlightened Protector. He has his own Pujas, Offerings and Rituals separate from Dorje Shugden’s prayers, because he can be practiced as a Dharma Protector on his own.

It is said that Kache Marpo waits on his horse outside of the mansion in Dorje Shugden’s mandala to carry messages and lead a wrathful army to conquer our obstacles.

Kache Marpo usually takes trance peacefully through an oracle to give instructions and advice. He will check all advice with Dorje Shugden before giving it out to practitioners. Having great respect for Dorje Shugden, Kache Marpo always refers to him as the ‘Great King’.

Kache Marpo takes trance of the current Panglung Kuten (Kuten is oracle in Tibetan) who resides in Taiwan. He also takes trance of the Gameng Kuten in the USA. In Tibet, the previous Panglung Kuten was very famous and many people including the 14th Dalai Lama, Trijang Rinpoche, dignitaries and high officials would always consult him. The Panglung Kuten lived in Panglung Retreat near Sera Monastery in Lhasa.

When Kache Marpo takes trance of the qualified oracles he may give prophecies, advice, blessings and healing of diseases depending what is necessary. He is very patient and very helpful to those who practice Dharma sincerely.

When Kache Marpo takes trance, he may appear wrathful or peaceful depending on the location he is in. If the people in a certain area are aggressive, full of anger and stubborn, Kache Marpo would take on a wrathful form. On the contrary, if the people are compassionate, loving and patient, Kache Marpo would take on a calm and peaceful form.

At times when Dorje Shugden and Kache Marpo knows that the people in a certain area will not adhere to their instructions, they will not stay for long during trance nor accept the offerings from the people. This is so that the people will not accumulate more negative karma by disobeying the instructions given.

Iconography

Kache Marpo’s residence is described to be: A brilliant, splendid brown palace made of leather which is surrounded by a red ocean formed by the blood of horses and men.

The colour of his body is similar to that produced when the sun shines on a huge mountain of coral. He has the shape of a “son of devas”, with one face and two hands. In his right hand he brandishes a red, sharp lance, with which he pierces the heart of an oath-breaker. His left hand, holding a snare of the spirit which is wound around the neck of an obstacle-creating demon, rests in front of his breast.

He wears a leathern cuirass and a leathern helmet adorned with a “banner of victory” with pendants of silk in nine colours. His facial expression is very fierce and he gnaws his lower lip.

His eyes have red-gleaming veins, and they stare full of hatred at the evil vighnas. He sits on a very fierce horse, which has spots white like felt and possesses magic qualities – it is mounted with a priceless saddle and carries a front – belt and other horse trimmings.

Nero Stallion

Four Faced Mahakala

Read here the latest article on the close relationship between Four Faced Mahakala and Dorje Shugden: http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=10262

Who is He?

Known as the ‘Great Black One’ in Sanskrit or Chaturmukha, Four Faced Mahakala is an emanation of the Buddha of Wisdom, Manjushri. He is popularly known to be able to quash our obstacles arising from ignorance and anger.

Being an enlightened Dharma Protector, he has been propitiated by many great masters including Lama Tsongkhapa, Nagarjuna and Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen. Four Faced Mahakala is also very well known to be one of the principle protectors of the Sakya tradition. He is also the main protector of Drepung Loseling Monastery and various Khangtsens in Ganden.

A Short History of Chaturmukha or Four Faced Mahakala

Four Faced Mahakala is the Protector of the Guhyasamaja and Chakrasamavara Tantras. There was once a great Tibetan translator by the name of Nyen Lotsawa. When he received the tantric practice of Guhyasamaja of the Jnanapada Lineage from Risula (a dakini), she also bestowed on him the initiation of Four Faced Mahakala.

At this time, she gave him as a servant a dark skinned Brahman. When Nyen Lotsawa and the Brahman reached Nepal, the servant changed appearance and took on the form of a monk, an appearance more conducive for travelling in Tibet.

After the passing of Nyen Lotsawa, the monk remained with Lama Nam Ka’upa and then later with Sachen Kunga Nyingpo. This dark skinned monk is considered by many to be the emanation of Mahakala himself.

In later times, the Gelug School of Lama Tsongkapa adopted the Guhyasamaja practices and Four Faced Mahakala. Many more paintings and depictions of the four faced deity were made and he became a popular Protector. The vast majority of Tibetan and Mongolian paintings of Four Faced Mahakala are of the Gelug lineage.

How is Four Faced Mahakala connected to Dorje Shugden?

Both Four Faced Mahakala and Dorje Shugden are emanations of the Buddha of Wisdom, Manjushri hence they share similar natures.

Besides that, they are both connected through Dorje Shugden’s previous life, Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen. Four Faced Mahakala was one of the heart practices of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen for all his life. It is because of this reason that Dorje Shugden has a very intimate relationship with Four Faced Mahakala.

Iconography

This form of Mahakala has four faces and four arms indicating that he has realized the four noble truths. His central face and body is dark blue in color, while his right face is white, his left face is red and his top face is black. The main hands of Four Faced Mahakala holds a curved knife and a skull cup. The curved knife and the skull cup are iconic implements of Mahakala that symbolizes his enlightened nature in Tantric imagery.

The second pair of hands holds a raised sword in the right and a spear in the left. The right leg is bent and the left straight standing atop a prone corpse-like figure. His three eyes stare at our negative karma and obstacles wrathfully with a vision of past, present and future simultaneously.

Nero Stallion
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:34:06 PM by Admin »

DharmaDefender

Re: Who is Kache Marpo? Relations between 4-Faced Mahakala & Shugden
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 02:40:33 PM »
Thanks for posting this Mana. You know, Kache Marpo reminds me of Setrab!

When Kache Marpo takes trance, he may appear wrathful or peaceful depending on the location he is in. If the people in a certain area are aggressive, full of anger and stubborn, Kache Marpo would take on a wrathful form. On the contrary, if the people are compassionate, loving and patient, Kache Marpo would take on a calm and peaceful form.

Yes Ive seen that before - for example
The Oracle taking trance of Dorje Shugden - Part 2 Small | Large
shows the wrathful Dorje Shugden, and
The Invocation of Peaceful Dulzin on 29th, Nov 2010 at Shar Gaden Part 1
shows the peaceful Dorje Shugden. Im always amazed by his ability to manifest different forms according to those who seek advice from him.

At times when Dorje Shugden and Kache Marpo knows that the people in a certain area will not adhere to their instructions, they will not stay for long during trance nor accept the offerings from the people. This is so that the people will not accumulate more negative karma by disobeying the instructions given.

To me, thats the greatest marker that Dorje Shugden and Kache Marpo are real enlightened dharma protectors. If they were there to boost their ego, make money, etc then bollocks to the quality of the people seeking advice!! Just tell them what they wanna hear, get a donation and boot them outta the gompa! If they were there for the money, then why reject the offerings? But instead they are thinking of the negative karma of the people whove asked the question. Its not about them, its always about us and for us.

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 02:45:18 PM »
@ DD I think that you mean "Thank you, tk!"...

But yeah, I do agree... Kache Marpo looks like Setrab! Speaking of Kache Marpo having his own pujas and prayers........ does anyone know what they are??

Thanks for posting this Mana. You know, Kache Marpo reminds me of Setrab!

Yes Ive seen that before - for example The Oracle taking trance of Dorje Shugden - Part 2 shows the wrathful Dorje Shugden, and The Invocation of Peaceful Dulzin on 29th, Nov 2010 at Shar Gaden Part 1 shows the peaceful Dorje Shugden. Im always amazed by his ability to manifest different forms according to those who seek advice from him.

To me, thats the greatest marker that Dorje Shugden and Kache Marpo are real enlightened dharma protectors. If they were there to boost their ego, make money, etc then bollocks to the quality of the people seeking advice!! Just tell them what they wanna hear, get a donation and boot them outta the gompa! If they were there for the money, then why reject the offerings? But instead they are thinking of the negative karma of the people whove asked the question. Its not about them, its always about us and for us.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 07:19:48 PM »
This was a truly awesome read... i'm going to read it again (and again) - there's just so much to digest but i just wanted to pose a question for now. As Kache Marpo is a direct manifestation of Hayagriva who is the wrathful form of Avalokiteshvara, does that mean that he is a manifestation of the Dalai Lama since the Dalai Lama is Avalokiteshvara?

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

shugdenpromoter

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »
Thank you TK for posting such wonderful article. It is extremely hard to find information about Kache Marpo and 4 Faces Mahakala. Therefore, I know I can always rely in this website for knowledge.

I've also heard from a source previously who was present when an oracle took trance of Kache Marpo that he actually paused and told the audience that he will check with the KING, when he was approach a question. Immediately after that, Kache Marpo came back with the answer.

I pray that one day that I will have the merit to see the oracle takes trance. It is indeed a great blessing to have an audience with Kache Marpo.

Mana

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 11:12:04 AM »
Does anyone here engage in the practice of Four Faced Mahakala?
Mana

Roberto

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 05:02:19 PM »
Hi there, is 4 Faced Mahakala a Protector of Highest Yoga Tantra? I mean is it one of those deities that only people with Initiation can practise?

Like @Mana I second it.... tq

Zach

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 07:15:09 PM »
Hi there, is 4 Faced Mahakala a Protector of Highest Yoga Tantra? I mean is it one of those deities that only people with Initiation can practise?

Like @Mana I second it.... tq

As far as I know he is the main protector of the Heruka Tantras so I would have thought one would specifically need an Initation into the Mandala of Heruka or Vajrayogini to practice 4 faced Mahakala...Im unsure this is my best guess.

Ratna Shugden

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 06:27:04 AM »
Since Dorje Shugden’s previous life, Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen, relied on Lord Mahakala with four faces as His Dharma Protector, when we rely on Dorje Shugden, do we naturally have the blessings of Lord Mahakala with four faces,especially after knowing how close they are to each other?

Lawrence L

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 08:30:02 PM »
Thank you tk for sharing the stories  8)

I always get confused about Kache Marpo because of His wordly form.
But right after I understand that the wordly form is just to let us have the affinity with him(even Dorje Shugden and Dharmapala Setrap are also appear in wordly form), the compassion and Boddhicitta in all the Buddhas are the thing that really matter. There's nothing to do with the appearance.

Buddha's form is just a form. It's very meaningless that we go and argue about it.
And what Buddhas own, is the Boddhicitta. It's very meaningless if we doubt this.

vajrastorm

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 12:15:35 PM »
Thank you TK for the interesting information concerning Kache Marpo,the first attendant to Dorje Shugden, including the details about his iconography. I also find the story about about the emanation of four-faced Mahakala fascinating.

A good friend of mine told me how she had recently witnessed an oracle take trance of both Dorje Shugden and Kache Marpo. Dorje Shugden stayed on to bless everyone of them present before he left. Kache Marpo also took trance, according to her, and stayed longer to bless and give healing and advice. Both were in their peaceful form. She said the reason  why she and her fellow Shugden practitioners were so 'blessed' by the two Protectors(Dorje Shugden and his loyal attendant) taking trance  and blessing them individually, was all due to the great kindness and compassion of their Lama.

I noted that Kache Marpo brandishes a red sword, in his right hand, with which he pierces the heart of oath-breakers. In the serkym offering prayer to Kache Marpo, we refer to him as acting to overcome the negativities of those who betray the Dharma.So we know that Kache Marpo is the Enlightened Protector who will protect the Dharma and Dharma practitioners against any betrayal of the Dharma and the Guru who spreads the Dharma so single-pointedly ,as well as against any breaking of vows and oaths.

As Dharma Protectors,both Dorje Shugden and four-faced Mahakala are emanations of Wisdom Buddha Manjushri. Interestingly, Four-faced Mahakala was the heart practice of Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen, who later arose as Protector Dorje Shugden, in fulfillment of a promise to protect the teachings of Manjushri Je Tsongkapa.   

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 01:55:44 PM »
Kache Marpo is the chief attendant to Dorje Shugden and as a verse in the Sadhana says:-

"O extremely fierce Kache Marpo, the strict attendant,
 Executioner of those with degenerated samaya,
 Through offering you this ambrosial drink which bestows bliss,
 May you, having partaken, swiftly and spontaneously accomplish all our wishes".

As such not only is Kache Marpo an attendant to Dorje Shugden, he will also protect us to have good samaya with our Guru and Protector.

I have also seen the Oracle taking trance of Kache Marpo giving precise and clear guidance after conferring with the King. 

A  very informative post.  Enjoy reading as it is very beneficial.

kelly

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 07:17:16 AM »
Thank you for sharing very informative post .

pgdharma

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 09:06:28 AM »
I didn’t know much about Kache Marpo except that He is one of the attendants of Dorje Shugden. Now I have a better understanding of who is Kache Marpo; an enlightened being who has His own prayers and pujas. Thank you for this informative article

Pema8

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 03:32:26 PM »
Wow!
Kache Marpo is an emanation of Hayagriva and also He is Enlightened and a Dharma Protector!
Hayagriva is Avalokiteshvara in wrathful form!

4-faced Mahakala is an emanation of Manjushri, also an Enlightened Dharma Protector

Thank you so much! And thanks for the link to the articles!
DorjeShugden.com and the forum have so much precious information! Thank you everyone!