Author Topic: Dreams and what they mean?  (Read 25838 times)

Positive Change

Dreams and what they mean?
« on: June 08, 2011, 12:00:16 PM »
I normally do not remember my dreams. Often I remember I had a dream but it is often vague at best. Not vivid and even the actual subject matter is cloudy... However of late, I have had some vivid dreams. Actual accounts I cannot reveal as I have been told that when one dreams it is bridge to the sub-conscience and should the dream be 'revealed' that bridge is severed and it will not come to fruition.

On the other hand I have also been told that should one dream of death, it is actually a good thing... in that the person you dream about dying will actually live a long life... It all seems very contradictory to me. Each culture, each religion has their own interpretations. I often wonder what dreams are and what does it all mean?

Can someone bridge this subject and share with me their thoughts please...

triesa

Re: Dreams and what they mean?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:09:35 PM »
I normally do not remember my dreams. Often I remember I had a dream but it is often vague at best. Not vivid and even the actual subject matter is cloudy... However of late, I have had some vivid dreams. Actual accounts I cannot reveal as I have been told that when one dreams it is bridge to the sub-conscience and should the dream be 'revealed' that bridge is severed and it will not come to fruition.

On the other hand I have also been told that should one dream of death, it is actually a good thing... in that the person you dream about dying will actually live a long life... It all seems very contradictory to me. Each culture, each religion has their own interpretations. I often wonder what dreams are and what does it all mean?

Can someone bridge this subject and share with me their thoughts please...

Positive Change,

I  agree with you that very often we do not remember our dreams and the events seem unclear and cloudy, even the moment we woke up the next morning.

But I want to share with you that there was one time on the completion of my retreat, I did my dedication, and that night I dreamt of my lama, the series of events were so clear that it was like me watching a movie.I could remember every single details vividly.  I was very sand and devastated in the dream as I dreamt that my lama passed away, I don't want to reveal the details, but only years later I have the chance to speak with my lama did he tell me that it was actually a very good and auspicious sign for my retreat.  He told me that the sadness and devastation that I had experienced in the dream is a purification of the emotional pain that I might have to experience later, if not purified, it could be ripen in a larger scale.

Also I have heard  from my dharma friends who shared with me that they had dreamt of their lama passing away, and it is usually taken as an auspicious sign to dream of one's lama passing away.........I know it is odd for us ordinary folks to even think in this way.......

Positive Change

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »
Triesa

But I want to share with you that there was one time on the completion of my retreat, I did my dedication, and that night I dreamt of my lama, the series of events were so clear that it was like me watching a movie.I could remember every single details vividly.  I was very sand and devastated in the dream as I dreamt that my lama passed away, I don't want to reveal the details, but only years later I have the chance to speak with my lama did he tell me that it was actually a very good and auspicious sign for my retreat.  He told me that the sadness and devastation that I had experienced in the dream is a purification of the emotional pain that I might have to experience later, if not purified, it could be ripen in a larger scale.

Also I have heard  from my dharma friends who shared with me that they had dreamt of their lama passing away, and it is usually taken as an auspicious sign to dream of one's lama passing away.........I know it is odd for us ordinary folks to even think in this way.......

How very interesting... I never thought of it that way. It does make some sense though I cannot quite grasp it completely. I recall (even now after a week or so) how upset and sad I was in my dream and that there were many negative elements in it. It was very unnerving to say the least especially when one is told from young that should a dream occur it is like an indication of what may happen (it actually sounds ridiculous typing it out as it makes one seem clairvoyant, should that be true... of which I am most certainly NOT...  ;D

So I shall take my dream on a positive stance then... as the dream has been haunting me (more like a nightmare really but not in the scary sense) and has effected my sleep pattern. I am struggling to sleep at night and when I do fall asleep, it seems like I have only slept for an hour which is quite often true and I am a zombie at work the next day. Perhaps what you have shared with me will release the anxiety I have had for the past week. Thank you.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:20:09 PM »
I think there are dreams that are prophetic and there are dreams which do reveal something deeper about ourselves. But there are also dreams which are just dreams. The mind is, after all, an endless maze - compounded by what we store over lifetimes even though we may not be able to retrieve these memories at will.

Sometime in 2005, I remember going through a period of vivid dreams and had very bad sleep. I did ask my Lama about them. And this is what my Lama advised me -

Whether our dreams are of any importance or not, depends on whether we become better from it or not. Sometimes, people can become so engrossed with their dreams and they forget to live in their real world. They begin to think that their dream world is real or more important. Soon, they begin to believe in their dreams more than their reality.

Dreams only occur when we sleep. But our waking hours are longer. So, what we choose to do while we are awake is more important. How we are after the dream.

So, may be our purification can come in dreams. Some dreams could create the opportunities for us to really practice more Dharma even if we are walking around like zombies. The real question is, can we still be Dharmic and remain compassionate even in our zombie state and still do our best without getting grumpy or moody due to the lack of sleep? Can we continue to do our best to benefit others even in our worst state?

May be it is our very attachment to sleep itself that we are experiencing such dreams that prohibit us from getting a good night's rest. May be.

So, if we really want to find out, search deeper within yourself.

To further illustrate a point, there was period of time in my life where by a certain dream would recur or a similar theme in a dream would occur for weeks. And I thought it was too strange. One day, I did reflect upon the details of the dreams and looked deeper. Then I realised it all highlighted one huge attachment I was holding onto at that time. After I recognised and dealt with that issue within myself, that dream did not occur again. At least, not so far.  :)

Helena

WoselTenzin

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »

Positive Change,

I  agree with you that very often we do not remember our dreams and the events seem unclear and cloudy, even the moment we woke up the next morning.

I have also heard that dreaming of our Lama passing away is auspicious as I was told that it means he will live long. I found it odd when I first heard about it but then if it is something good, I wouldn't mind.  I don't know whether it applies to ordinary beings.  I remember dreaming of my parents passing away when I was very young and the dream was very vivid and clear.  I remember waking up crying and crying as if the event was real and it really happened.  Looking back that could be at least 30 years ago and today my parents are still alive and well.  Just wondering if we dream of someone ordinary dying an auspicious sign or it's just a mere coincindence the person that we dreamt dying actually live long. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

shugdentruth

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:23:40 PM »
When I first joined dharma, I had some funny dreams and I was worried about it. So I consulted my Dharma brother about it. He did explain to me what it was all about and I was much relieved. I just wanted to know whether it was good or bad. I feel dreams carry a message with them and it is important to know just in case something needs to be done. But it is not something we should dwell on, just like everything else. For example, a problem, we shouldn't dwell on the problem itself but we should understand them and look for solutions to solve the problem.
But I know it is hard to do so. I often have the habit of dwelling in my dreams/problems/achievements. I am trying hard now not to do that so I can have continuos and more consistent positive outcomes. I am hoping to start now so it becomes easier with time.

I never fear telling my dreams to people I trust. But if you have the believe that telling your dreams to others is taboo, then its best to keep it to yourself. I think our minds are the most powerful, if we truly believe in a certain thing, only then will it work or not work. Hence sometimes different religions or superstitions are contradicting to each other. Perhaps it is because different people are suited to different beliefs.

Again, only my opinion, I hope this was a positive input.  ;D

Klein

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 03:24:32 PM »
I dream every night without fail. However, there will be certain dreams I'd remember vividly at the moment I wake up. Thereafter, I'd forget. Then years later, I'd have deja vu  of these dreams. This has been happening to me ever since I was a kid. The funny thing is my deja vu also happens when I visit certain foreign countries for the first time. It's feels like certain things in my life are destined to happen. How bizarre! 

vajraD

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
I used to have lots of dream and most time I won’t remember after an hour waking up from it but there are some dreams that happens and the feeling is like it happen in real life. Once I dream of my grandmother having to meet with accident and also take her life.

During the time I know of a Lama and I email the question to ask him.There was no reply and I also did not continue asking anyway. But there was no reply and my grandmother is still around up till today.

I do belief having dreams is part of relaying a message but since I don’t know the meaning many times I have just let it pass or I just keep the scary feeling in me and then make prayers for those whom are in my dream because I’m not sure it will happen as dream or not. But at least one thing I can do is to pray to ask for protection if it is a bad dream.

ratanasutra

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 08:26:11 AM »
When i was about 16-22 years old, most of the time i dreamt and could remember about it when i was showering before go to school then i will share with my close friend at school of what i had dream the night before almost everyday. Most of my dream are more on travelling and adventure which is nonsense but in that age, i feel it very excited to share with friend.
Then 20 year ago, one night i dreamt that i went to attend my father funeral and i cried a lot in my dream until i woke up with face full with tears. i was very sad for few days as the dream was so real until i talked with my mother and she told me that the bad dream will turn good and my father still alive!!! 

Now i seldom have a dream or might have it but i could not remember..
i feel that for normal people like us dream can be just a dream-no meaning behind but it happen because of our mind wondering about it and dream can be a 'sign'-some meaning behind that.

But for high lama Dream is a sign with have meaning behind, i learned that there is a sleep meditation which the high lama who practice these will sleep and have a dream then give an advice from his dream to student who come to consult about it.

Many years back my lama advised me to record some dream that i feel it special so that you refer it or reveal it in future.

jeremyg

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 02:18:55 PM »
In essence, dreams are a representation of our mind. They reflect our thoughts, even though sometimes those thoughts are not apparent to ourselves. Thus i fully believe that if we dream about a lama, it must have some significance. Maybe our mind is linked to our lama? Maybe we are recovering past imprints? Ive had dreams before of dharmic things. Ive also had dreams of very samsaric things. It is impossible to predict what we are going to dream about. Maybe some dreams are a message, but then again there are dreams that have no meaning whatsoever. So are we supposed to try and decipher what the meaningless dreams have, or are we supposed to say that the meaningful dreams have no meaning. What i'm trying to say is that it is very difficult to say whether or not a dream has a meaning.

According to the people here their lama has told them that some dreams do have meaning. If a lama says this, then I fully believe. I'm not trying to say that dreams don't have meaning, but I am a but skeptical about all dreams. Then again I have been told that some advanced practitioners, or select individuals have had visions of the future in their dreams.

In the end, dreams are a representation of our mind. When we dream, we really feel we are experiencing that situation. So what separates it from real life? Could it be an alternate reality? Haha, I've gone a bit too far, but this is how I feel.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 05:58:50 PM »

So, may be our purification can come in dreams. Some dreams could create the opportunities for us to really practice more Dharma even if we are walking around like zombies. The real question is, can we still be Dharmic and remain compassionate even in our zombie state and still do our best without getting grumpy or moody due to the lack of sleep? Can we continue to do our best to benefit others even in our worst state?

I am completely fascinated by this, especially the proposition made by Helena that purification [of karma] can take place in a dream.

Do we in fact create karma in our dreams. Some dreams are extremely vivid and we "feel" and "think" in those dreams. Although in a dream state, do those thoughts that lead to certain actions in the dream, motivated by certain feelings and intentions, which end in a dream-state-result, create some karma? Of course there has to be both subjective and objective conditions and in a dream state, it is most likely that the objective condition is absent. But the presence of the subjective and objective conditions relate only to the weight of the karma being created.

Everything comes from the mind and that is so whether we are awake or dreaming. Even in dreams, we can have consciousness.

Can anyone provide some thoughts and input?

Jessie Fong

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 08:36:51 AM »
I dream every night without fail. However, there will be certain dreams I'd remember vividly at the moment I wake up. Thereafter, I'd forget. Then years later, I'd have deja vu  of these dreams. This has been happening to me ever since I was a kid. The funny thing is my deja vu also happens when I visit certain foreign countries for the first time. It's feels like certain things in my life are destined to happen. How bizarre! 

You write here about deja vu.  It has triggered my memory - a long time ago, I used to have deja vu experiences.  Many times I would find myself in a situation/place and for a few seconds of my life, it was standstill as I tried to piece myself together to see what was happening?  I asked myself "Hey! I have done this before exactly, or  I have been to this place before and this is exactly where I stood and that's exactly what happened to me".  I never found an answer for those experiences and come to think of it, it's been a very long while since I last had a deja vu experience.

Positive Change

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 01:55:59 PM »
Through reading the various posts here, one might conclude that some of you do suggest that a dream or when one is in a dream state one actually still perpetuates karma good or bad, which makes the dream state and actual alternative reality! Very interesting... especially when we have no control over our dreams or what we dream of... or do we?

That would be interesting because some of us remember our dreams and some of us don't. What does that mean on a psychological level? Are we choosing to ignore or are we ignorant? I find this most interesting as there is so much going on in my mind/consciousness that makes me think inevitable that we are so much more than we perceive ourselves to be and we are only the sum of our own delusions.

Samsara is truly subtle yet pervasive! But having said that, I am thankful I am able to recognize in my insignificant perceptions how magnanimous enlightenment can be and more so than that... achievable if only we put in the effort!

RedLantern

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 01:57:14 PM »
Dreams have been a mystery to us and have always fascinated mankind, Many people around the world are intriqued by their dreams and often tell you their dreams have to mean something.
Some people find their dreams to be unrealistic.A common dream is a person falling off a cliff.This dream has been shared by people around the world and doesn't mean you will literally fall off a hill but simply means there is a great potential for to fall into a mess of some sort.Your dreams have great meaning however,it may have hidden meaning behind them.
Does your dreams have any meaning?Do you believe in your dreams?

Positive Change

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 07:17:34 AM »
Dreams have been a mystery to us and have always fascinated mankind, Many people around the world are intriqued by their dreams and often tell you their dreams have to mean something.
Some people find their dreams to be unrealistic.A common dream is a person falling off a cliff.This dream has been shared by people around the world and doesn't mean you will literally fall off a hill but simply means there is a great potential for to fall into a mess of some sort.Your dreams have great meaning however,it may have hidden meaning behind them.
Does your dreams have any meaning?Do you believe in your dreams?

I believe there is a reason for dreaming... if not why do we dream. What it means and if there is any significance at all for it is up to interpretation of course. One thing is for sure, like life, dreams are very varied and some if of importance, some not, some believable, some not... we are in samsara after all and it can be deceiving and downright confusing! :P