Author Topic: Tantric in layman's language  (Read 8344 times)

DSFriend

Tantric in layman's language
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »
Recently, I crossed path with someone who is new to Tibetan Buddhism. She was taken aback that tantric practices may require copulation with a consort. Perhaps not any time in the near future, but she cannot accept this possibility even if it's required of her in her far off future lifetime. This person finds it very difficult to accept this new knowledge.

What would you advice this person taking into consideration, this person doesn't have a foundation in Vajrayana.

Big Uncle

Re: Tantric in layman's language
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:56:26 PM »
Dear DSFriend,

Tantra is a rather tricky subject to discuss with those who cannot grasp its complexities. Ultimately, Tantra and Sutra were merely teachings the Buddha taught to bring us towards enlightenment. They may be suitable for some and not for others. Tantra as you already know is a super-express way towards Enlightenment. Hence, it is not without its dangers and pitfalls and so cannot be taken up by the untrained and uninitiated.

The consort practice is one of the methods to achieve Enlightenment but in order to engage in the practice, one must have a certain level or realisations to effect the mind with the body otherwise it will just increase desire. Hence, Lama Tsongkhapa had already taught a method to achieve enlightenment via meditative experiences without a consort. This is especially important for monastics so they don't have to break their vows in the process and for the rest of us who do not have the level to ensure the union will result in uncontaminated bliss instead of the usual desirous orgasms. Therefore, it is very important to reassure your friend Tantra is not about sex.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:08:30 PM »
This is a very interesting thread...

Funny so many people these days will associate the word: "tantra" with sex.

Where as, in the ultimate sense, tantrayana or the tantric path is the express route to Enlightenment. As Big Uncle rightly explained.

The Buddha has invented 84,000 different methods to counter the various mind sets and preferences out there.

From "crazy wisdom" to pure monastic method like Gelugpa - there is something for everyone. Thank the Buddhas for that! Or else, so many beings will be left behind.

I found the below information quite helpful. So, I will share it here and hope that it helps someone.

Tantrayana

Tantrayana, a new tradition of Buddhism, started developing from the 7th century AD, and was radically different from the earlier traditions in
several important ways. Tantrayana, the Vehicle of the Text, is also known as Mantrayana, the Vehicle of Spells, or the Vajrayana, the Adamantine Vehicle. The Tantrayana or Vajrayana is actually a subset of the Mahayana Buddhism. The Tantrayana Buddhists themselves often classify their school as the final stage in the evolution of Indian Buddhist theory which they enumerate as Hinayana, Mahayana and Vajrayana. The Tantrayana Buddhism facilitates an accelerated path to enlightenment to be achieved through the use of tantra techniques, which are practical aids to spiritual development and esoteric transmission.

Whereas earlier schools of Buddhism provide ways to achieve Nirvana over the course of many lifetimes, the Tantrayana school makes full
enlightenment or Buddhahood possible in a shorter time frame, or perhaps, in a single lifetime. While the goal of the Mahayana and Vajrayana is the attainment of Buddhahood, the goal for Tantrayana or Theravada practice is liberation from the cycle of rebirth in Nirvana.

The Speed Up Technique - Tantric Practices
The chief factor in the Vajrayana concept of Buddhism is tantric practices. The tantric path emphasises on the 'use of result as the path', which means that instead of placing full enlightenment as a goal far away in the future, one should try to identify with the enlightened body, speech and mind of a Buddha through symbolism and visualisation. The Tantric Buddhism gives more importance to secrecy in order to avoid the
practices from harming oneself and others without proper guidance. The tantric practices may at first appear as ritualistic nonsense, but can only be practiced on the basis of a thorough understanding of Buddhist philosophy and traditions.

You can read more on http://www.buddhist-tourism.com/buddhism/tantrayana.html

Helena

Big Uncle

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 05:31:46 PM »
Tantra is Tibet's greatest gift to the world. The High Lama's ability to determine their subsequent rebirths and all the great enlightened work that they do in every lifetime to benefit others is due to the attainments of having practiced Tantra for many lifetimes. The great Lamas like the Dalai Lamas, Panchen Lamas, Dromo Geshe Rinpoches, Trijang Rinpoches, Zong Rinpoches and many others who practiced Tantra to achieved their state.

The main practice of Tantra is not the exotic deities, breathing, sexual practices or complicated visualisations. The actual practice of Tantra is relying upon a Guru and developing pure view based upon devotion to a Guru that is extended to all areas of our lives. Hence, we become awakened through devoting to a Guru and the Tantric meditations just quicken the awakening process. Hence, we are very fortunate to have living Tantric lineages that can be easily received from a Lama. Due to our delusions and merit, Tantra becomes increasingly efficacious over time.

DSFriend

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 11:41:18 AM »
After some sharing, focusing on the benefits of Vajrayana, this friend of mine is open and interested enough to put aside his concerns...of which he understands to not let this fear/mental block steals his opportunity to learn.

I think in similar ways, we limit out own learning because we allow our doubt, fears, mental blocks, what we are not familiar with to take the front seat..and this attitude in Vajrayana is similar to someone going at 60 miles/hour and slams on the breaks! Just thinking to myself, to watch out for such attitudes.

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 08:48:33 PM »
@DSFriend Same here, I had a friend who asked me, "What are tantric practitioners?", I replied "They are those who have taking initiation and they have taken on vows and commitments to reach higher attainments through their practice".

Even though I said that, I actually don't understand what I have said.

What is initiation?

Why take on more vows and commitments?

And what are the "higher attainments" that are reached? (The person thought it was clairvoyance and magic powers.. :S)

Big Uncle

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 04:33:55 AM »
@DSFriend Same here, I had a friend who asked me, "What are tantric practitioners?", I replied "They are those who have taking initiation and they have taken on vows and commitments to reach higher attainments through their practice".

Even though I said that, I actually don't understand what I have said.

What is initiation?

Why take on more vows and commitments?

And what are the "higher attainments" that are reached? (The person thought it was clairvoyance and magic powers.. :S)

Initiation is known as Abhisheka in Sanskrit and it is loosely translated as initiation, empowerment or consecration. It is a formal ritual in which, the preceptor bestows vows and commitments onto the student to practice a particular deity/meditational practice. In essence, the preceptor plants a seed of enlightenment into our minds and it is through our daily commitments of upholding our vows and practicing the meditations that help us to progress on the spiritual path faster towards Enlightenment. Hence, the deity/meditational practice is usually chosen based on our own meditation disposition.

Vows and commitments depends on the type of initiation. Lower Tantric initiations like Manjushri, Vajrapani, Chenrezig etc, means we have taken refuge with the preceptor (we hold refuge vows along with Guru devotion commitment with our preceptor) and also hold Bodhisattva vows as well. Higher Tantric initiations like Vajrayogini, Heruka, Yamantaka, Kalachakra, Cittamani Tara or Hevajra means we hold all the mentioned vows along with Tantric vows.

What are vows? They are made by the Buddha to bless our minds with renunciation and creates merits for us to change and transform our minds. The merits only arise if we uphold the vows and if perform the same abstinence without the vows, there would be no blessing and no merits. Hence, there are a lot of benefits from holding vows instead of just being a good person.

Higher attainment is not higher powers. In Buddhism, higher or supernatural powers are considered mundane or ordinary powers. Why ordinary? Because we cannot take them to our next life. They just dissolve along with our gross mind upon our death. Real higher attainments come from achieving renunciation, Bodhichitta(compassion) or even realisation of emptiness (deep insight into the nature of our reality). Why? They can transform our minds and this... we can take to our next lives or even use it to dictate where we take rebirth.

DSFriend

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 04:19:16 PM »
The samaya of a tantric initiate to his/her Guru is extremely important. Breaking tantric vows is said to be detrimental to the person's future lives and even cause the Guru's lifespan to be shorten. Therefore, one must be ready before taking tantric vows. Scary? Yes!

Yes, in the sense that we should be scared of the unending and cyclic sufferings of samsara...and create all the right causes for us to be able to hold our vows well and to be able to receive higher practices.

If we are scared, then receiving and holding tantric vows is the quickest way for liberation. With the guidance of a qualified Guru, the Guru will know when is the right time to grant such initiation.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 09:47:37 PM »
I also think many people are shocked by the tantric deities with consorts (yab-yum or father/mother embrace). Perhaps it could also be misunderstanding on this part?

I don't read much about Tantra as I am not initiated, but perhaps there needs to be differentiation of the tantric deities and the consort practice? 

I know tantric deities are shown in sexual union with their consorts to emphasize the joining of female wisdom
with male compassion, which are an essential combination for achieving ultimate spiritual realization, and it has nothing to do with sex.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 09:35:15 AM »
Unfortunately, a large number of tantrik enthusiasts, in both the West and the East, mistakenly identify tantra as the yoga of sex, black magic, witchcraft, seduction, and an amalgam of techniques for influencing the minds of others. This is due, at least in part, to the fact that tantra is both a spiritual path and a science. As a spiritual path, it emphasizes on the purification of mind and heart, cultivating a spiritually illuminating philosophy of life. As a science, it experiments with techniques whose efficacy depends on the precise application of “mantra” and “yantra”, ritual use of specific materials, and the performance of tantrik mudras and accompanying mental exercises. In the layman’s language, such practices can be thought of as tantrik formulae. They will yield a result if properly applied, regardless of the character, spiritual understanding or intention of the practitioner. When this scientific aspect of Tantra falls into the hands of charlatans, it is inevitably misused giving Tantra a bad name. Fortunately, however, there are still tantrik masters, authentic scriptures to undercut such false and distorted notions and make it possible for us to gain a better understanding of this.

Tenzin K

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »
Tantric companion is the one that you will share the deepest union. In tantric practice, you need a companion, partner, who will experience union of hearts and tantric lovemaking with you. Together with your partner you will walk on the path of Tantra, and rise up into the heights of bliss. You will melt together completely, and experience true oneness.

Tantra will take you to deepest possible union between human beings. Because of this, right companion is important on this journey. You will need someone you can trust, and to whom you can open your heart. If you already have relationship, then you already have someone you know and can trust.

In Tantra, sexuality is total and filled with bliss. However, Tantra is not about sex. Sex practiced or performed in Tantra is what is taught by most teachers of this spiritual lifestyle. In Swami Virato's experiential events sexual ignition energy is used as a tool to raise the Kundalini, or the participants bioenergy. I simply uses this energy as a tool. At some point Tantrikas experience a bliss-filled state that can be identified as asexuality. Perhaps because of general sexual suppression by cultures and religions, ancient carvings in Nepal and India depicting unbridled sexual sharing create indelible labels. Some
Tantrikas do not engage in sex at all.

I would advice that Tantra is a lifestyle of letting-go, feeling a oneness with everything. If we were to relate Tantra to life in general, we would say there is much more lay-back living, more enjoyment of our sensual nature. However, Tantra is not licentious.

Practicing Tantra is to walk our talk...to visualize others as Divine... to meditate, get and give and receive massages ..and to say YES! more often...to seek for the purest, highest quality of life, yet to accept whatever we have...and to feel our Divine nature...God...Goddess.