Author Topic: Dalai Lama Paying Homage to a Catholic Monk  (Read 10248 times)

icy

Dalai Lama Paying Homage to a Catholic Monk
« on: May 04, 2013, 08:00:50 AM »
This is an interesting and wonderful picture of Dalai Lama paying homage to Thomas Merton, a Catholic Monk.

Thomas Merton was one of the most influential Catholic authors of the 20th century. A Trappist monk of the Abbey of Our Lady of Gethsemani, in the American state of Kentucky, Merton was an acclaimed Catholic spiritual writer, poet, author and social activist. Merton wrote over 60 books, scores of essays and reviews, and is the ongoing subject of many biographies. Merton was also a proponent of inter-religious dialogue, engaging in spiritual dialogues with the Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh and D. T. Suzuki. His life and career were suddenly cut short at age 53, when he was electrocuted stepping out of his bath.

Q

Re: Dalai Lama Paying Homage to a Catholic Monk
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 10:18:22 AM »
Hmm... the title of "paying homage" is a little misleading lol!

No, HHDL is not paying homage to a Catholic Monk. HHDL is paying respects to a fellow great religious leader. Just because HH offer a Khata to Thomas Merton's grave stone does not mean that He is paying home to the Catholic monk lol!

Jessie Fong

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 01:03:51 PM »
Regardless whether it is "paying homage" or "paying respects", we can see that it is  it has transcended diffrent faiths. We can clearly note here that HHDL is appreciative of what Thomas Merton had achieved in his life. And HHDL was aquainted with him through inter-religious dialogues.

kris

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 07:10:34 AM »
It looks like paying respect, and there is a huge difference between "paying homage" and "paying respect", and we need to be precise on the terms we use.

It is good that there are a lot of respects between religions. There are too much misunderstanding and we desperately need to "defuse" it.

I have recently (accidentally) heard some teachings from Islam about patience towards others, and it is very similar to Buddhism.

Therefore, we should focus more on the similarities of the religions (about being kind, compassion, patience towards others) rather than difference...

dsnowlion

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 07:46:06 PM »
Hmm... the title of "paying homage" is a little misleading lol!

No, HHDL is not paying homage to a Catholic Monk. HHDL is paying respects to a fellow great religious leader. Just because HH offer a Khata to Thomas Merton's grave stone does not mean that He is paying home to the Catholic monk lol!

Yeah when I first read the title... it sure pulled me in to take a look at who is this great Catholic monk that His Holiness would actually pay homage, cos I thought we only pay homage to the 3 Jewels! Lol but YES this is a great image to see how His Holiness is so humble and respectful to someone of a different faith. So WHY not Dorje Shugden Gurus and Masters??? Especially His Holiness Trijang Choktrul who is the incarnation of His own Guru? I find that quite odd and sad actually. Perhaps this is a "perspective" of the common.

All I have is faith that HHDL is an Enlightened being hence He is manifesting things this way for something we may not see yet but will see in the near future! But you know faith in His Holiness is also because of our Lamas (who are Dorje Shugden Lamas) are the ones encouraging us to keep this faith! Amazing isn't it. Enlightened beings' truly DO NOT have any form of discrimination! So why should we?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:37:19 AM »
The Dalai Lama is the symbol of Buddhism on an international level and it is his 'eternal' duty to present a 'good' image of Buddhism and he needs to work very hard and be humble towards other religions. He has been doing the whole respect the religions of others thing for quite sometime now and well, the other Buddhist scholars have not spoke out against that. But one thing I still dont get is his unending hostility towards Dorje Shugden. When will that stop?

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 10:43:45 AM »
The Dalai Lama is the symbol of Buddhism on an international level and it is his 'eternal' duty to present a 'good' image of Buddhism and he needs to work very hard and be humble towards other religions. He has been doing the whole respect the religions of others thing for quite sometime now and well, the other Buddhist scholars have not spoke out against that. But one thing I still dont get is his unending hostility towards Dorje Shugden. When will that stop?

Dear Ensapa,

I do not think that the Dalai Lama is 'presenting a good image' as a duty. 'As a duty' implies that it is not genuine but simply following rules. Also, i am not sure what you mean by "He has been doing the whole respect the religions of others thing for quite sometime now and well, the other Buddhist scholars have not spoke out against that." Would Buddhist scholars be against interfaith respect and harmony? I would not have thought so.

Re the Dalai Lama's unending hostility towards Dorje Shugden, the theory is that it will bring more attention to Dorje Shugden on a worldwide scale as opposed to just among gelugpa practitioners. After all, even Tsongkhapa has not been in international TV documentary news and magazines whilst Dorje Shugden has. And all because of the ban.

In the non-duality as propagated in Buddhism, there should be equanimity to all, therefore the ban on Dorje Shugden is in itself completely contradictory to Buddhism. This patently obvious fact would surely be known to the Dalai Lama, yet he has continuously enforced the ban. There must be a reason :)
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

vajrastorm

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »
Thomas Merton, a Trappist Buddhist monk, who still held to a firm belief in the now-discarded mystical tradition  of Christianity (that went beyond concepts and verbalization of an experience) had a deep respect for Eastern religions, like Buddhism, where belief in this mystical tradition is still very strongly held.  He was a great proponent of interfaith dialogues and had met with Buddhist leaders like HH Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh and D T Suzuki. He was also almost fanatic in his support of non-violence. Hence his love of peace(non-violence) resonated very well with the central belief of Buddhism - Peace and Harmony.

It is sad to see the contradictory nature of HH Dalai Lama who, on the one hand, visits his grave and openly shows support and great respect for a spiritual leader of another faith for his strong advocate of peace and interfaith dialogue and harmony. On the other hand, he spurns leaders within Tibetan Buddhism, like the reincarnation of his teacher, Kyabje Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche, and Gangchen Rinpoche and others, who are peacefully spreading the Dharma of Je Tsongkhapa and are devoted practitioners of Dorje Shugden, the Protector who arose to protect the Dharma of Je Tsongkhapa, the Dharma most needed by the people of this degenerate age. 

Only time will reveal the true bigger picture, and show us why HH Dalai Lama is acting the way He is acting, when the ban is lifted and the truth will shine forth.

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 03:07:59 AM »
I agree it is not paying homage but showing reverence to another fellow being who had worked for the people.

I wish to see the day when HHDL publicly starts to make offerings to Dorje Shugden as he had been doing in the past.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 10:20:56 AM »
I agree it is not paying homage but showing reverence to another fellow being who had worked for the people.

I wish to see the day when HHDL publicly starts to make offerings to Dorje Shugden as he had been doing in the past.

I really cant wait for the day where the Dalai Lama actually announces that Dorje Shugden is a Buddha and even give a lengthy discourse on who Dorje Shugden really is and give his initiation out to the masses/his students. That would be a huge shock for Dorje Shugden's naysayers indeed and it would also at the same time, bring a lot more people into Dorje Shugden and make them learn, once and for all, that taking sides is not and never the Buddhist way.

Rihanna

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
Yes, I believe this is not the first time that Dalai Lama has actually paid respect (yes not homage lol) to other various religious figures. I myself am a firm believer of the fact that Dalai Lama is a living Chenrezig walking on earth spreading the teachings of Lord Buddha far and wide. So one would obviously be thinking why The Dalai Lama himself can be so liberal with others yet make contradicting statements about Dorje Shugden’s practice recent times? Why would The Dalai Lama want to do that? Perhaps a bigger picture behind this and we should be able to digest and realize it better in near future? May the ban be lifted as soon as possible!

fruven

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 05:02:33 PM »
It is the way for walking the talk especially for everyone including a leader. Dalai Lama values respect and therefore he has tremendous respect from many people. It goes to show that the value system we hold on to doesn't discriminate others because of their external appearance but based on the deeds they have done for others. Dalai Lama pays respect to the Catholic monk because of his works which contributes to the growth of spirituality in the Catholic faith. When we respect others faith we create the karma to have faith in our own faith as well, don't we? Therefore it doesn't matter what the religion but the teaching itself which bring people together to live harmoniously with each other.

gohdi

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »
 After initially organizing courses in the London area, Manjushri Centre moved to Conishead Priory near Ulverston, on the northwest coast of England, in August 1976. Lama Yeshe had already begun looking for a suitable Teacher. At that time, Geshe Kelsang had accepted an invitation by the Christian monk and writer, Thomas Merton, to live and teach in a centre planned in Canada, but after Thomas Merton's tragic death this was no longer possible. Geshe Kelsang was then free to come to England, and Lama Yeshe requested Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche to ask Geshe Kelsang to become Resident Teacher of Manjushri Centre. Geshe Kelsang later recounted that Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche asked him to go to England, teach Shantideva's Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life, Chandrakirti's Guide to the Middle Way and Lamrim, and then check whether there was any meaning in his continuing to stay.

Big Uncle

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 09:00:49 AM »
After initially organizing courses in the London area, Manjushri Centre moved to Conishead Priory near Ulverston, on the northwest coast of England, in August 1976. Lama Yeshe had already begun looking for a suitable Teacher. At that time, Geshe Kelsang had accepted an invitation by the Christian monk and writer, Thomas Merton, to live and teach in a centre planned in Canada, but after Thomas Merton's tragic death this was no longer possible. Geshe Kelsang was then free to come to England, and Lama Yeshe requested Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche to ask Geshe Kelsang to become Resident Teacher of Manjushri Centre. Geshe Kelsang later recounted that Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche asked him to go to England, teach Shantideva's Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life, Chandrakirti's Guide to the Middle Way and Lamrim, and then check whether there was any meaning in his continuing to stay.

Wow! That is a wonderful anecdote. I am impressed with Thomas Merton. I have not known another more open-minded Christian ever. He is actually inviting Buddhist teachers to come to teach and he sees it as a means to enrich his own faith! What a renaissance man! Being from a Christian background, I see that Christianity lacks in a contemplative tradition and Thomas Merton realizes this. I believe the word mentioned was 'mystical' earlier part in the thread but I think contemplative is a better word. Hence, he has been inviting Buddhist masters, which I believe was to promote the contemplative tradition.

As Buddhists, we should appreciate this aspect of our religion, the contemplative part. Buddhism's contemplative tradition is a treasure trove of methods and tools to gain mastery of our minds and thereby alter the situation we are in. Hence, the mind training aspect of the teachings are some of the most revered aspect of the teachings. In gaining mastery of our mind, enlightenment is possible because it is closely related.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 11:41:16 AM »

Wow this is interesting! inter religious harmony is something wonderful to see these days. But who could have imagined that a Christian monk would invite a Buddhist one to teach in england? If even a Christian monk could recognized Geshe Keslang Gyatso's knowledge and wisdom, wouldnt it mean that he is indeed someone who can teach and who is a valid teacher? This is one of the few other reasons why people who criticize Geshe Keslang Gyatso have no basis in their claims.