Author Topic: Very inspiring Life Story of Tsem Tulku Rinpoche  (Read 13501 times)

thaimonk

Very inspiring Life Story of Tsem Tulku Rinpoche
« on: June 25, 2010, 10:39:08 PM »
Tsem Rinpoche indeed has a very unusual life story, it is very inspiring. His life story further convinced me why he is truly a RINPOCHE.

I follow Tsem Rinpoche's blog closely and have compiled here in chronological order his life story, from Rinpoche's own words. However for more exhaustive life story of Tsem Rinpoche please refer to his website mentioned at the bottom.

Tsem Rinpoche meeting his first Guru Kensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tharchin at 7 years old:
http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/2010/03/when-i-was-7-years-old-i-was-taken-to-new-jersey-usa-that-was-in-1972--in-1971-the-great-sera-mey-kensur-rinpoche-lobsang.html

Tsem Rinpoche childhood in New Jersey:
http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/2010/03/why-i-conceived-of-kechara-soup-kitchen-or-ksk.html

Tsem Rinpoche ran away to Los Angeles and then joined Thubten Dhargye Ling:
http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/2010/03/tsem-tulku-in-american-tantric-dress.html

Young Tsem Rinpoche in Hollywood!
http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/2010/03/this-is-me-in-hollywood-in-the-80s.html

Tsem Rinpoche promised Root Guru Kyabje Zong Dorje Chang to go to Gaden Monastery to be a monk:
http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/2010/03/this-photo-was-taken-at-tdl-centre-in-los-angeles-in-1989-i-had-promised-to-take-ordination-and-go-to-gaden-monastery-hh-zo.html

Tsem Rinpoche remembers his Root Guru Kyabje Zong Dorje Chang:
http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/2010/04/a-poem-to-my-teacher.html

Tsem Rinpoche endured hardship for Dharma in Gaden Monastery:
http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/2010/03/the-cowshed.html

Tsem Rinpoche's successful Dharma center today, Kechara, with its amazing 12 departments:
http://www.kechara.com

In fact, you can read about the detailed biography of Tsem Rinpoche on his website, from birth to childhood to teenager to Gaden monk to Rinpoche in Malaysia, amazing stories
http://tsemtulku.com/biography/auspicious-birth/

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
Re: Very inspiring Life Story of Tsem Tulku Rinpoche
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 05:25:34 PM »
Very nice post...interesting to read through. So modern, unconventional yet very hardcore dharma. Great Gelug teacher of our times.

TK

Midakpa

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 03:36:42 AM »
Thank you, thaimonk, for taking the trouble to present Tsem Rinpoche's life story in a chronological manner. I find it very easy to follow and am learning a lot about this great Gelug teacher. Very inspiring indeed.

a friend

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 04:40:58 AM »

What an incredible kid he was, this Tsem Rinpoche. Look at his life, so difficult. Beaten and abused, he didn't hold a grudge against his step mother, and look at his last photo with her, giving her roses!
Such suffering ... he lost his parents ... he was mistreated ... even his beloved dog he lost, hit by a car.

Now he is growing, growing as a great Master. Look the respect and love he has for his Gurus.
It's impossible not to love him.

I pray for his long life.

DSFriend

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:25:50 PM »
Tsem Rinpoche's life is a great teaching by itself... He opens up his whole life from birth, an abandoned prince to being a runaway abused teenager! Just like what A Friend said, Tsem Rinpoche did not hold any grudges. He continues teaching us how Dharma shines and brought him through every difficulties..He is an exceptional teacher from and off the throne! ...a mahasiddha of the 21st century. I pray for your long life!

DSFriend

vajrasamaya

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:02:22 PM »
Thank you thaimonk for taking the time to post up the link for us. Indeed Tsem Rinpoche has a inspiring life story. The Blog is so modern, not only dharma articles, post like Elizabeth Taylor is included. Exciting.

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »

What an incredible kid he was, this Tsem Rinpoche. Look at his life, so difficult. Beaten and abused, he didn't hold a grudge against his step mother, and look at his last photo with her, giving her roses!
Such suffering ... he lost his parents ... he was mistreated ... even his beloved dog he lost, hit by a car.

Now he is growing, growing as a great Master. Look the respect and love he has for his Gurus.
It's impossible not to love him.

I pray for his long life.

What a beautiful comment on Tsem Rinpoche by A Friend. Reading this has touched my heart deeply. Dear A Friend, thank you so much for what you for your summary of what you read. Absolutely true, and yet poetic.

TK

honeydakini

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 07:56:59 AM »
What a beautiful account (and wonderful writers and people he has to convey this story so beautifully). More than ever, this confirms what I thought for a long time already:

A few years ago, when e-sangha was at its height, I remember there being endless discussion about whether Tsem Tulku Rinpoche practised DS or not. There were people who so aggressively against him and spoke very, very badly against him because they thought he practised; others, very kindly and courageously stood up and spoke positively for him. I didn't get involved with those discussions, being quite new to the scene at the time and because I didn't know much about the DS issues then.

I did however, go to check out his websites and read a little about the work he was doing. I remember thinking then (as I have done for other great lamas such as Gangchen Rinpoche, Dagom Rinpoche etc), that if they were doing such incredible work that reached out to so many, then there really cannot be anything wrong in what they are doing, whatever this protector issue was about (since I didn't know much at the time).

My Lama has advised us over and over - it doesn't matter if you "like" or "dislike" what the Lama does personally but look at how his actions are touching people or helping people. Do his teachings help to transform the lives of others? reduce their suffering? bring them relief and peace? This is what matters. Tsem Tulku Rinpoche is definitely doing this, as can be seen in this biography alone. I thank you thaimonk for sharing this account. It is always heartening to read about the inspiring work and lives of these lamas and what they are doing for the world - this, to me, is the heart of all that DS, Tsongkhapa and the Lamrim brings us to.

iloveds

• An Uncommon Protector Who Can Not Be Silenced
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 08:32:56 AM »
Wow what a forward thinking, modern, YOUNG lama. I can see that he will be very beneficial in the very near future, what with difference in age with HHDL.

So exciting times we live in, talk about going from 1 great Lama to the next to continue spreading the Dharma into the world. Tsem Tulku Rinpoche even has soo many videos on youtube too

http://www.youtube.com/tsemtulku

You can see it in the faces of the students, the Dharma is going in.

I rejoice in Tsem Tulku Rinpoche's works.

His actions shuts me up, can't say a bad word against Rinpoche!

VS

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 07:32:03 PM »
Tsem Rinpoche is truely an 'alternative' lama, breaking away from the conventional ways of teachings! Reading Tsem Rinpoche's biography had me realised how great a bodhisattva can be. Being a Tulku, one is able to control their death and birth, yet Tsem Rinpoche chose to be born under such circumstances and experience the 'hard way' of life. :o

By going through these, Tsem Rinpoche is able to understand and attracts students from all walks of lives. No wonder Tsem Rinpoche's organisation has grown so much and benefiting so many people due to Rinpoche's motivation and strong & pure guru samaya. I really rejoice for Tsem Rinpoche's students for being able to practice dharma with Rinpoche's close guidance.

I pray and wish that Tsem Rinpoche will always be in good and stable health and continuously to turn the wheel of dharma to benefit many! Om Mani Padme Hum

DharmaDefender

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
A few years ago, when e-sangha was at its height, I remember there being endless discussion about whether Tsem Tulku Rinpoche practised DS or not. There were people who so aggressively against him and spoke very, very badly against him because they thought he practised; others, very kindly and courageously stood up and spoke positively for him. I didn't get involved with those discussions, being quite new to the scene at the time and because I didn't know much about the DS issues then.

I did however, go to check out his websites and read a little about the work he was doing. I remember thinking then (as I have done for other great lamas such as Gangchen Rinpoche, Dagom Rinpoche etc), that if they were doing such incredible work that reached out to so many, then there really cannot be anything wrong in what they are doing, whatever this protector issue was about (since I didn't know much at the time).

It seems to be the people who do the least, who make the most noise. Just look at Phayul today...

Perhaps it's a cover for what they did not achieve themselves.

DSFriend

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 09:55:32 AM »

My Lama has advised us over and over - it doesn't matter if you "like" or "dislike" what the Lama does personally but look at how his actions are touching people or helping people. Do his teachings help to transform the lives of others? reduce their suffering? bring them relief and peace? This is what matters. Tsem Tulku Rinpoche is definitely doing this, as can be seen in this biography alone. I thank you thaimonk for sharing this account. It is always heartening to read about the inspiring work and lives of these lamas and what they are doing for the world - this, to me, is the heart of all that DS, Tsongkhapa and the Lamrim brings us to.

Dear Honeydakini
I'd like to highlight your attitude to check out the person/lama for yourself is very good. Many people do not research for themselves and believes every gossips that comes their way. Worse still is when people spread the gossips around.
By doing so, we are the ones on the losing end...as the negative talks will create obstacles in the minds of people to receive the dharma. what's the point of engaging in negative talks.....!

DSFriend

honeydakini

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 07:06:49 PM »
Worse still is when people spread the gossips around.
By doing so, we are the ones on the losing end...as the negative talks will create obstacles in the minds of people to receive the dharma. what's the point of engaging in negative talks.....!

DSFriend

That's a very strong and important point you've brought up there. While we think that we're doing the world a great favour by pointing out the "wrongs" of the Gurus and trying to be matrys by "warning" others of the potential dangers of their gurus, we are actually doing more harm than good by negative talk. I think many people who badmouth other lamas forget that, at the end of the day, that Lama is someone's teacher, who they have taken refuge in!

How are we messing with their spiritual path, practice and refuge when we stir doubt in their minds? It is so dangerous, for us and for them. If they happen to be quite new to Dharma or not very stable in their practice; or they don't really know what they should be looking for, then we have just planted the seeds for them to have wrong view of the path, and perhaps even to lose faith and leave. How scary to think that that karma comes back to us, and we have destroyed someone's potential for practice and enlightenment.

Protectors Champion

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 07:32:20 PM »
"The Sangha provides examples of successful practitioners, warriors in the battlefield of samsara who defeat all the enemies—samsara and the afflicting emotions—who protect all sentient beings and lead them toward enlightenment." -- Khenchen Konchog Gyaltsen Rinpoche, The Jewel Ornament of Liberation, translator's introduction, p. 20)emptymountain

Helena

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 08:42:55 PM »
Hmm...sounds very interesting. I must go check out this unusual Lama who all of you are talking about. I like what DS Friend said about spreading gossips.

It's terrible when some people deliberately poison others' minds and turned them away from practising Dharma. We can never knwo an individual's fullest potential. Anyone with the right nurturing from the right Guru could potentially blossom into a great inspiring Dharma Teacher or Practitioner.

Those "gossipy" people would have destroyed not only a potential Buddha-to-be, but the many people who might have benefited from this person's transformation.

Who knows what Buddha is hiding deep within each individual - everyone deserves the chance to meet their right Guru. That is so important.

I'll go check out this Tsem Tulku now.
Helena