Author Topic: Consulting mediums  (Read 14654 times)

RedLantern

Consulting mediums
« on: September 30, 2012, 04:48:08 PM »
Consulting mediums is not a Buddhist practice:it is just a traditional and psychological belief.People seek the advice of mediums to overcome their problems in situations which they consider as beyond their comprehension.In times of sickness when medical help is apparently ineffective,people become desperate and look elsewhere for solace.They seek mediums when faced with complex problems and unable to find an acceptable solution.Some consult mediums out of greed in order to get rich quickly.
The Buddhist attitude towards consulting mediums is one of neutrality.It is not a Buddhist practice,but a traditional one.It is difficult to verify whether what the medium conveys is correct or not.Consulting in mediums is for material gain but the teachings of the Buddha is for spiritual development.
If a person really understands and practices the teachings of Buddha,he can realise the nature of his problems
He can overcome his own problems without consulting any mediums.

Manjushri

Re: Consulting mediums
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 06:52:11 PM »
I like what you wrote, RedLantern. Yeah, I guess consulting mediums is kinda like wanting a quick fix to the many problems that you face. However, the scary things about consulting mediums is that you don't know what is taking trance in the medium. Sometimes it can be more detrimental than good, to consult mediums, as un-enlighted deities or sometimes maybe spirits could be the one advising you through the medium.

Consulting mediums is not a Buddhist practise as Buddhism is about one's spiritual practise in developing wisdom and compassion, to ultimately lead you to enlightenment. Buddhist practise is not about solving your own problems by throwing your problems onto others or the 'divine'. By practising Buddhism and studying the Dharma, you will tend to be able to solve your own problems that have been created by yourself eventually.

Big Uncle

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »
Some Westerners think that consulting an oracle is superstitious and has no relevance in today's world. For many of the world's tradition of oracles, that may be true but the reliance on oracles is still very much entrenched in Tibetan society.

In the tradition of propitiating a Dorje Shugden oracle, a very unusual tradition emerged where the oracle wear the robes of an ordained Lama and he also puts on a yellow Pandits hat. The prophecies from Dorje Shugden is accurate and clear and it was how the Chinese emperors came to have faith in Dorje Shugden. Perhaps, that has led to the conversion of the Yong He Gong palace into a monastery complete with a large central altar to Lama Tsongkhapa. 

Aurore

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »

Consulting mediums is not a Buddhist practice:it is just a traditional and psychological belief. People seek the advice of mediums to overcome their problems in situations which they consider as beyond their comprehension. In times of sickness when medical help is apparently ineffective, people become desperate and look elsewhere for solace. They seek mediums when faced with complex problems and unable to find an acceptable solution. Some consult mediums out of greed in order to get rich quickly.

Firstly, we need to identify the big difference between a medium which takes trance of Enlightened beings or wordly gods. From what you are saying, these mediums are not taking trance of Enlightened beings as the Buddhist protectors will NEVER grant us wealth if it will bring us further away from our spiritual path. Hence, it's definitely not a Buddhist practice but more of a Taoist practice. This clear distinction must be clear.

The Buddhist attitude towards consulting mediums is one of neutrality. It is not a Buddhist practice,but a traditional one. It is difficult to verify whether what the medium conveys is correct or not. Consulting in mediums is for material gain but the teachings of the Buddha is for spiritual development. If a person really understands and practices the teachings of Buddha, he can realise the nature of his problems. He can overcome his own problems without consulting any mediums.

Consulting a Tibetan oracle/medium can help give us a clear solution to help remove our obstacles in our spiritual journey and practicing the Buddha's teachings. It is extremely accurate as the Buddhas' clairvoyance is beyond this life. Upon receiving the method, it solely dependent on our effort and transformation to overcome our problems.

Consulting a medium/oracle is not necessary but it can help certain people gain trust in a super natural being to bring them closer to spirituality. Sometimes it is needed.

Amitabha

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 12:25:11 AM »
Consulting in mediums is for material gain but the teachings of the Buddha is for spiritual development.

Spiritual development has several levels both secular and non secular. In Buddha teaching, material gain would develop from proper spiritual development of compassion, benevolence and givings and is not only restricted to this short lifespan but many many future lifespans. Most importantly is the teaching on development of human and human relationship, human and environmental relationship, human and the cosmo relativeship.
Consulting mediums can't lead one to become Buddha and problem could not be solved in its root cause.

dondrup

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 09:45:57 AM »
In this degenerate age, people tends to consult mediums thinking that they would provide quick solutions to their problems.  In reality, it is not so.  Many of these mediums tapped into unsafe and unenlightened sources for information.  The advice given may seem alright now or for a short-term basis.  However, in the long run, the advice given may not be suitable or it could even be detrimental to those seeking for solutions.

Understanding Karma and accepting it and doing the necessary Buddhist practices will help to resolve many of one’s problems in life.  Hence seeking mediums is not advised because it will not provide the best solution to solve the problem concerned.

Tammy

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:15:37 AM »
This is an act out of ignorance and lack of initiative in checking out the authenticity of the 'medium'.

This reminds me of what some people do when they want to reconnect with their dead relative. They go to mediums who could summon the soul of the deceased and let his or her body be temporarily taken over by the soul and take to the relative. Some people say they talk just like the deceased in terms of tone, languages and choice of words.. Well all I can say is - silly !!! We want our loved one who had past away to take another rebirth instead of lingering in this realm as ghost!
Down with the BAN!!!

bambi

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »
I will definitely not consult a medium. I have friends who do so and take advice from the 'dead'. I think that its just a con job. Don't forget that spirits have clairvoyance and its dangerous to believe anything these mediums convey too. BUT if its a certified and authentic oracle in the monasteries and the Dharma Protector giving blessings and messages then its definitely a YES. I have seen the oracles on videos and the feeling of watching it is just awesome.

Dorje Shugden Oracle taking trance at Serpom Monastery's Grand Opening (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Mediumship

Mediumship is defined as the practice of certain people—known as mediums—to mediate communication between spirits of the dead and other human beings. While no evidence has been accepted by the scientific community in support of the view that there has been communication between the living and the dead, some parapsychologists say that some of their research suggests that such communication may have taken place. The practice is associated with several religious belief systems such as Spiritualism, Spiritism, Espiritismo, Candomblé, Voodoo, Umbanda and some New Age groups.

There are several different variants of mediumship; the best known forms are where a spirit takes control of a medium's voice and uses it to relay a message, or where the medium simply 'hears' the message and passes it on. Other forms involve manifestations of the spirit, such as apparitions or the presence of a voice, and telekinetic activity.

Attempts to contact the dead date back to early human history, with mediumship gaining in popularity during the 19th century. Investigations during this period revealed widespread fraud—with some practitioners employing techniques used by stage magicians—and the practice started to lose credibility. Nevertheless the practice still continues to this day, and high profile fraud has been uncovered as recently as the 2000s.

Psychic senses

In Spiritualism, psychic senses used by mental mediums are sometimes defined differently than in other paranormal fields. A medium is said to have psychic abilities but not all psychics function as mediums. The term clairvoyance, for instance, may be used by Spiritualists to include seeing spirits and visions instilled by spirits. The Parapsychological Association defines "clairvoyance" as information derived directly from an external physical source.

Clairvoyance or "Clear Seeing", is the ability to see anything that is not physically present, such as objects, animals or people. This sight occurs "in the mind’s eye". Some mediums say that this is their normal vision state. Others say that they must train their minds with such practices as meditation in order to achieve this ability, and that assistance from spiritual helpers is often necessary. Some clairvoyant mediums can see a spirit as though the spirit has a physical body. They see the bodily form as if it were physically present. Other mediums see the spirit in their mind's eye, or it appears as a movie or a television programme or a still picture like a photograph in their mind.

Clairaudience or "Clear Hearing", is usually defined as the ability to hear the voices or thoughts of spirits. Some Mediums hear as though they are listening to a person talking to them on the outside of their head, as though the Spirit is next to or near to the medium, and other mediums hear the voices in their minds as a verbal thought.

Clairsentience or "Clear Sensing", is the ability to have an impression of what a spirit wants to communicate, or to feel sensations instilled by a spirit.

Clairsentinence or "Clear Feeling" is a condition in which the medium takes on the ailments of a spirit, feeling the same physical problem which the spirit person had before death.

Clairalience or "Clear Smelling" is the ability to smell a spirit. For example, a medium may smell the pipe tobacco of a person who smoked during life.

Clairgustance or "Clear Tasting" is the ability to receive taste impressions from a spirit.

Claircognizance or "Clear Knowing", is the ability to know something without receiving it through normal or psychic senses. It is a feeling of "just knowing". Often, a medium will claim to have the feeling that a message or situation is "right" or "wrong."

sonamdhargey

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 02:08:54 PM »
Well, people go to mediums for help. Most of the time to solve their problems. Some need help with business, love, and getting advise on careers. Some seek help from mediums for spiritual matters like spirits disturbances and etc. People who seek mediums to help them does not make them a bad person. These people who seek help from mediums because that's all they know. If these people studied the Dharma, they will eek protection from the 3 jewels. As a Buddhsit we do not seek advise or help from mediums because we are thought not to rely on the unknown or unenlightened being as it may cause more harm than good. If any of us know anyone consults the mediums, try to advise them to take the Buddhist instead.

ratanasutra

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »
Well, people go to mediums for help. Most of the time to solve their problems. Some need help with business, love, and getting advise on careers. Some seek help from mediums for spiritual matters like spirits disturbances and etc. People who seek mediums to help them does not make them a bad person. These people who seek help from mediums because that's all they know. If these people studied the Dharma, they will eek protection from the 3 jewels. As a Buddhsit we do not seek advise or help from mediums because we are thought not to rely on the unknown or unenlightened being as it may cause more harm than good. If any of us know anyone consults the mediums, try to advise them to take the Buddhist instead.

well said sonamdhargey.. There was a medium in my village, unfortunately i never have chance to see him. When there were some problems ie things lost, people lost people in village will go to see him to seek for an advise and as a child whom in the age of wanting to know everything so i would like to go to see how was people asked, how was the medium answered, how was the energy, what was happening etc but every times my mother not allow me to go to see and she also not go and she told me that this is not for children, our part is to study.. so i have no experience about it.

i agree with sonam said that this was only thing and way that most of people know if they study and learn about the buddha teaching, they won't go to seek advise from the medium but they will take refuge and seek protection from the three jewels instead...

Jessie Fong

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 03:21:57 PM »
Like Ratanasutra, I too was not allowed as a child to be in the presence of a medium.  I have heard stories of mediums performing various acts that a normal person would not be able to do --- there was an old lady who when in trance would always cut her tongue with a blade and use the blood to write some words on a piece of paper. It was believed that if you burn that paper and put the ashes in your drink, it would help cure whatever ailments you were suffering from.

In another case, there was a male medium who would take trance and "hurt" his body with various types of knives and axes and would always wake up as if nothing happened and no bruises/cuts on his body.  It was believed that when he did that, he was actually ridding himself of whatever spirits was disturbing him --- in this case,he had taken on the problem of the person seeking help.

Tenzin K

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
Buddhism discourages mediumship. This is because by involving in mediumship, you create a karmic link with the ghost realm. The ghost realm belongs to one of the 3 lower realms. Although beings in that realm may have supernatural powers and humans may want to tap into that source for certain things, Buddhists do not wish to create any karmic links with lower realms.

As Buddhists we should not be superstitious. Be more interested in your own cultivation and practice, and unfold your own awareness and liberation, and the accumulation of wisdom and merits.

kris

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 05:06:31 PM »
In Tibetan Buddhism, it is quite common to consult medium, or oracle. Even HH Dalai Lama consults Nechung through oracle on important matters. It is also said that HH Dalai Lama consulted Dorje Shugden in 1959 when He escaped from Tibet to India.

I think the issue is not so much about consulting mediums, but rather if the mediums is reliable and also who is being consulted. Some mediums have their channels open and all kinds of spirits can take control of their body, and some of the spirits may have a bad intention.

Therefore, in Tibetan Buddhism, training to become an oracle is a "serious" process, and must be done with supervision of Lama. Only trained oracles will be reliable. Therefore, I think it is ok to consult medium, but it is important to consult the reliable one.

biggyboy

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 01:46:39 AM »
If a person really understands and practices the teachings of Buddha,he can realise the nature of his problems
He can overcome his own problems without consulting any mediums.

This will only be true if a practitioner truly practise and trust all the way with Buddha's teachings.  In this present time, spiritual practice degenerated so much where many may not want to learn and accept a Teacher's advice, listen nor practise sincerely but rather wanting to consult and listen to a "medium".  Tendencies there are “mediums” who are just wanting to glorify their ego and creating attention to them. 

When I was young boy has stayed in many different countries moving along with my parents due to their  work reasons, seen quite many of such trances and I was scared to see those trances taken place.  What beats me was how does this medium know about the current situation of the “seeker”?  I even questioned “seekers” how would they know that the advice given was from a genuine divine source?  Wouldn’t the medium just merely acting and showing off?  Likewise, just as what Jessie Fong has said they are mediums use blades, knifes and other weapons to inflict on themselves to give advice and I was actually just watching the whole scenario like in a movie. Isn’t all this a deception?

Well,  I would say different countries and cultures has its own view.  Exploring a different culture can often shed light on our own belief systems and help us to see our own concepts. Beliefs are an intrinsic part of one’s mental make-up determined to a great degree by the culture in which one grows up. We are, for the most part, completely unconscious of our belief systems until they are pointed out to us, or we go to a completely different culture where people hold very different beliefs.

Most Tibetan people accept the psychic as an everyday part of life. An example of the place divination has in everyday life for Tibetans is their use of astrology. Their calendars specify more than a dozen different attributes of each day, e.g., whether or not it is auspicious to start a business, get married, hold a funeral or even to have a party!

brian

• Email
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 11:43:29 AM »
I have seen videos of people consulting mediums and its quite scary. One wonders will it get out of hand by the 'god' (or whatever that is) will take full control of the oracle or not. I am not a believer of such practices and I find many people were actually very keen to know their future. They tend to consult mediums for the smallest matters (i mean for me) in the world like for example their relationships. I wonder whether it will lead to greater harm or not. What am i trying to say is, will the spirit also harm the poor fella who came to consult for solutions... hmmm...