Author Topic: Reform in Tibetan Monasteries in China  (Read 15207 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Reform in Tibetan Monasteries in China
« on: August 16, 2010, 03:21:44 PM »
Chinese Communist party demands reforms in Tibetan monasteries (August 16, 2010)

http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report_chinese-communist-party-demands-reforms-in-tibetan-monasteries_1424193

A fresh purge appeared to be in the offing in Tibet with a top leader of the Communist Party of China calling for reforms in Buddhist monasteries by appointing monks and nuns who are "politically reliable".

In a move that could be aimed at weeding out pro-Dalai Lama elements in the clergy, Du Qinglin, head of the United Front Work Department of the Party's Central Committee, also demanded that "greater, concerted and solid efforts" must be made to implement democratic management in the monasteries.

"Concerted and solid efforts must be made to implement democratic management in Tibetan Buddhist monasteries," Du was quoted as saying by the state-run Xinhua news agency, in what appeared to be a fresh effort to strengthen government's hold on Tibet's influential religious centres in the politically sensitive Himalayan province.

"Competent Tibetan Buddhist monks and nuns who are politically reliable, extraordinarily learned and widely respected should be selected to monastery management committees through thorough democratic consultation," he said.

As per the prevailing rules, the posts of all the top monks known as Lamas have to be made with the approval of the Chinese government.

Du, also vice-chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, made the remarks of sweeping changes in the powerful clergy in Tibet during a two-day conference on democratic management of Tibetan Buddhist monasteries at Xigaze in Tibet Autonomous Region, which began yesterday.

His remarks were timed even as another powerful Communist Party leader He Guoqiang, a member of the Standing Committee of the Politburo undertook a tour of the politically sensitive province visiting the Potala Palace, which was the seat of the Dalai Lamas.

Tibet's provincial capital Lhasa witnessed large scale riots in 2008 before the Beijing Olympics in which large numbers of Tibetan mainly monks were killed.

The riots were directed against non-Tibetans in which several monks reported to have taken part. Chinese government blamed the Dalai Lama for instigating the riots, which he has denied.

Du said that in implementing monastery democratic management, the lawful rights of monasteries, orderly religious activities of monks and nuns, and normal religious practice of believers must be ensured.

Monasteries play a very vital role in Tibet where Buddhism and Monks or heads of various sects of the religion wields spiritual and political influence over the masses.

Many of the top monks of Tibet including the Dalai Lama, the spiritual head, who fled to India in 1959 were selected through the complex process when they were children and then graduated through these institutions.

The 11th Panchen Lama, Bainqen Erdini Qoigyijabu, regarded as the second spiritual head of Tibetan Buddhism sent a congratulatory message to the conference which was attended by some 150 people from Tibetan Buddhist circles and relative governmental organisations.

===============================================================

With regard to the above article, I am wondering if pro-Shugden monasteries (being naturally not pro-Dalai Lama) would become more prominent.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:25:36 PM by WisdomBeing »
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Helena

• Email
Re: Reform in Tibetan Monasteries in China
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 04:23:17 PM »
Sign of times are definitely changing!

Something tells me that Shugden monasteries will become very prominent, as anything that is against the Dalai Lama is most likely welcomed by the Chinese.

In any case, it looks like the ban has been successful in "creating" this perception of Shugdenites are anti-Dalai Lama. Certainly the demonstrations and protests also reinforced this perception.

In due time, we will all see what the "big picture" is all about. Until then, everyone is free to make up their own minds and need to speak against anyone else - lama or lay people.

Time will reveal.
Helena

Helena

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 04:24:48 PM »
Oops, hit the post button too early.

I meant to add -

Thank you so much, Wisdom Being for sharing this article.

Does help us to see how things are set in motion over in China.

Helena

beggar

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 04:46:34 PM »
ah, this makes me wonder how "political' is the political they are talking about - seems to be just about towing the line! This brings about a possible problem of spiritual practices becoming very restricted and shaped according to "political" rules. Can it influence people into wanting to go into the sangha as a means of "rising to the top?"

This brings up all sorts of things.

But yes, perhaps it can also mean equal footing and flourishing for all shugden monasteries, or even more "attention". We'll have to wait and see. perhaps something political here can be something good in the long term after all.

I have been following a few back threads and already see some encouraging news from friends in China that shugden is quite openly accepted there and many are keen to do practice. this is good news to hear. it is good to hear shugden growing anywhere in the world! and especially in a place where they have not had much exposure to any religion for so many years.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 06:50:32 PM »
ah, this makes me wonder how "political' is the political they are talking about - seems to be just about towing the line! This brings about a possible problem of spiritual practices becoming very restricted and shaped according to "political" rules. Can it influence people into wanting to go into the sangha as a means of "rising to the top?"

This brings up all sorts of things.

But yes, perhaps it can also mean equal footing and flourishing for all shugden monasteries, or even more "attention". We'll have to wait and see. perhaps something political here can be something good in the long term after all.

I have been following a few back threads and already see some encouraging news from friends in China that shugden is quite openly accepted there and many are keen to do practice. this is good news to hear. it is good to hear shugden growing anywhere in the world! and especially in a place where they have not had much exposure to any religion for so many years.

unfortunately - because the institution of the Dalai Lama has become political since the 5th Dalai Lama's time, spirituality in Tibet has become inextricably intertwined with politics. This move to "reform" the Tibetan monasteries in China is only to be expected. We can hardly expect China to encourage pro-Dalai Lama leaders of the monasteries.

China definitely needs spirituality - everyone everywhere does, of course, but in China, because of the strong materialism inherent in the culture now, it would be good to have spirituality to temper it. (The New York Times has just reported that China has just passed Japan as the second largest economy http://finance.yahoo.com/news/China-Passes-Japan-as-nytimes-2766831302.html?x=0&.v=1 ) Dorje Shugden would be so good for China - a Wisdom Buddha to protect Lama Tsongkhapa's teachings and bring peace, harmony and stability.

honeydakini

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 06:31:23 PM »
Dorje Shugden would be so good for China - a Wisdom Buddha to protect Lama Tsongkhapa's teachings and bring peace, harmony and stability.

Well in fact, Lama Tsongkhapa already has a very strong history in China! The Gelugpa lineage was like a national religion at one point, what with Emperor Kangxi and his descendents making it very widespread. There is still a lot of evidence of the influence of Tibetan Buddhism in China today.

Some of the people in my Dharma group have visited the five peaked mountains in China (bloody cold, I heard) and were astounded by the sheer wealth of Gelugpa-influenced monasteries there (probably not as strongly practised before but still has a remarkable stronghold. Lots of Chinese-looking Lama Tsongkhapa statues! So he's very much a part of their spiritual fabric already and it's not something entirely new. Apparently people go up there in the busloads to visit even in winter - CHINESE PEOPLE no less, not just some crazy foreigners like us on a spiritual holiday! My friends couldn't go to any temple without being overrun by the Chinese themselves. It's quite wonderful to hear that there is so much interest in religion in the Chinese today, considering all that has conspired in recent decades to suppress it.

Let's hope Dorje Shugden and all the Three Jewels lifts it right up and into the hearts of many more people.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 09:00:46 PM »

Well in fact, Lama Tsongkhapa already has a very strong history in China! The Gelugpa lineage was like a national religion at one point, what with Emperor Kangxi and his descendents making it very widespread. There is still a lot of evidence of the influence of Tibetan Buddhism in China today.

Some of the people in my Dharma group have visited the five peaked mountains in China (bloody cold, I heard) and were astounded by the sheer wealth of Gelugpa-influenced monasteries there (probably not as strongly practised before but still has a remarkable stronghold. Lots of Chinese-looking Lama Tsongkhapa statues! So he's very much a part of their spiritual fabric already and it's not something entirely new. Apparently people go up there in the busloads to visit even in winter - CHINESE PEOPLE no less, not just some crazy foreigners like us on a spiritual holiday! My friends couldn't go to any temple without being overrun by the Chinese themselves. It's quite wonderful to hear that there is so much interest in religion in the Chinese today, considering all that has conspired in recent decades to suppress it.

Let's hope Dorje Shugden and all the Three Jewels lifts it right up and into the hearts of many more people.

In the biography of Pabongka (http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=3965), it says that:
"Later on, he was found to be a reincarnation of the Changkya line, which included the well-known scholar Changkya Rolpay Dorje (1717-1786). The Lamas of this line had done much teaching in the regions of Mongolia and China, including in the court of the Chinese Emperor himself, and to be the Royal Tutor to the Emperors, that Lama must have been highly attained. This regal position has enabled him to accomplish a great deal for Tibetan Buddhist institutions in China, Mongolia, and Tibet. Changkya Rolpay Dorje was also the student of the Seventh Dalai Lama and a teacher of the Eighth. He was an important lineage holder in several adept traditions of both Father and Mother Tantras.
However, the name “Changkya” had strong Chinese connotations. As the Tibetan government and people were already sensitive to the pressures put on them from China, the name “Changkya” was ruled out and the boy was declared to be “Pabongka” instead."

It is sad how politics from both China and Tibet have repressed spirituality.

Yes China does need spirituality in its recent economic boom. I heard from friends who live there that in general, everyone is more interested in making money and with wealth has come the priority on materialism. That said, I am reassured to hear from a friend of mine who told me that there's a temple called Yonghe Gong (http://www.sacred-destinations.com/china/beijing-yonghe-gong-lama-temple.htm) with a Lama Tsongkhapa statue in it in Beijing and that more and more people are coming to pray there.

Let's hope Dorje Shugden and all the Three Jewels lifts it right up and into the hearts of many more people indeed!

Helena

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 07:15:03 AM »
Yes, you are right to say that China seems more interested in the pursuit of material wealth than spirituality now.

But I do believe that history documents that the Yong He Gong Temple in Beijing, that houses the huge Lama Tsongkhapa was built by the Emperor Kangxi (1662 - 1723). And one of Dorje Shugden's line of emanations is Emperor Kangxi.

It seems that Dorje Shugden and Lama Tsongkhapa have been planting their Dharma seeds in China many centuries ago.

Perhaps now the time is ripe for those seeds to blossom.

Perhaps now is the time where there will be a spiritual renaissance in China via Dorje Shugden.

Helena

honeydakini

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
there's a temple called Yonghe Gong (http://www.sacred-destinations.com/china/beijing-yonghe-gong-lama-temple.htm) with a Lama Tsongkhapa statue in it in Beijing and that more and more people are coming to pray there.

Ah ha, yes I remember friends talking about this too. Apparently the whole street is like a Buddhist festival and surrounded by lots of shops promoting and selling buddhist items too (would be great to put brochures there!)

I remember seeing their "holiday" photos and was well amazed to see all the incredible antique Tibetan Buddhist statues, a massive Maitreya and of course the central image of Lama Tsongkhapa. Such beauty!

Okay, I've been trying to figure out how to post images onto the forum but I still can't figure out the technicalities (can someone help me with this?) Wanted to post some images of Yung He Gong .... But if you just do a google on Yung He Gong, you'll see lots of stunning photos of the statues there. I just love the Tsongkhapa there.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 08:26:16 AM »
there's a temple called Yonghe Gong (http://www.sacred-destinations.com/china/beijing-yonghe-gong-lama-temple.htm) with a Lama Tsongkhapa statue in it in Beijing and that more and more people are coming to pray there.

Ah ha, yes I remember friends talking about this too. Apparently the whole street is like a Buddhist festival and surrounded by lots of shops promoting and selling buddhist items too (would be great to put brochures there!)

I remember seeing their "holiday" photos and was well amazed to see all the incredible antique Tibetan Buddhist statues, a massive Maitreya and of course the central image of Lama Tsongkhapa. Such beauty!

Okay, I've been trying to figure out how to post images onto the forum but I still can't figure out the technicalities (can someone help me with this?) Wanted to post some images of Yung He Gong .... But if you just do a google on Yung He Gong, you'll see lots of stunning photos of the statues there. I just love the Tsongkhapa there.

Rach darling, just click on 'Additional Options' on the bottom left of the text window.

Click on Browse, find your piccy, Click on attach and bob's your uncle!

Bonne chance!

honeydakini

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 09:27:50 AM »
Ok hurray! Thanks Kate. Let's try again.

shugdenprotect

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 03:55:27 PM »
Wow, thanks for the beautiful images of Yong He Gong.

Yeah, I know about how scary yet awesome it can be to visit major Buddhist sites in China. There are sooooo many people. This shows us that the Chinese people are looking for something more in life besides the daily routine of survival. In fact, contrary to what some may think, interest and connection with Dharma is more prevalent in societies outside the big cities where attachment to the glitz of living is less.

When I visited the Da Fuo Shi (Big Buddha Temple) in Wuxi, I witnessed people just being there to "rub off" some goodness and holiness from the Buddha images: touching the Buddha's palm and belly, climbing the many steps to be at the base of the large Buddha Shakyamuni etc. This physical aspect is the only form that is commonly known here through observation from generation to generation. There is basically close to zero understanding about and practice of  Dharma. I connect this situation to the close link to Dharma and the existence of Dharma seed within these mindstreams.

Therefore, although there is a long journey for pure Dharma to grow and flourish in China, I truly rejoice that the Chinese people are open to Dharma...a very good stepping stone to launch this influential nation into an empowering journey towards happiness!

Lastly, speaking of Dorje Shugden in China: Genzey (increasing form of our beloved Protector) resides in Wu Tai Shan, which is one of the main Buddhist pilgrimage site in China.

DSFriend

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 10:53:51 AM »

===============================================================

With regard to the above article, I am wondering if pro-Shugden monasteries (being naturally not pro-Dalai Lama) would become more prominent.

Looks like pro-shugden monasteries may well become more prominent especially with China not putting any constraints on this practice. Will be very interesting to see (that is if i'm still alive) how this turns out in 10 or 20 years time.

shugdenprotect

• Email
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 03:58:18 PM »
Hi DSFriend, I believe and trust that you and many other Dorje Shugden practitioners will have the opportunity to witness Dorje Shugden’s practice spread in China. At the very least, you will see the beginning stage where people hear about, talk about and develop their practice of our Great King ?

As mentioned, currently, majority of Dharma seekers get into the “motions” of Dharma like visiting temples, lighting incense, recite mantra with no understanding. Further to this observation and through conversation with those who have a bit more understanding of Dharma and have a spiritual guide, there is caution towards Dharma Protector worship due to lack of understanding: they are of the view that Dharma Protectors are wrathful beings who will punish them for “wrong” practice. Wrong would include not doing the practice accurately or making mistakes. From this, it seems that they relate Dharma Protectors to worldly deities instead of enlightened beings who are compassionate like the Buddha.

The good news is, there is awareness of Dharma Protectors, specifically Dorje Shugden. The challenge is to develop accurate view about these enlightened beings who are necessary to remove the many obstacles more and more Chinese people will face as life gets more bedazzling in this prospering nation.

Therefore, it very necessary for us to grab opportunities that provides accurate information about our Great King to our Chinese Dharma brothers and sisters. As China moves quickly in most things, clear and right understanding can be achieved swiftly. It is just what we as Dorje Shugden practitioners pro-actively do in contribution to make this happen. Perhaps constructive efforts (as in the thread titled “why we should not over-criticize the Dalai Lama”) will be one way to make this happen as soon as possible!

WisdomBeing

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »
Hi DSFriend, I believe and trust that you and many other Dorje Shugden practitioners will have the opportunity to witness Dorje Shugden’s practice spread in China. At the very least, you will see the beginning stage where people hear about, talk about and develop their practice of our Great King ?

As mentioned, currently, majority of Dharma seekers get into the “motions” of Dharma like visiting temples, lighting incense, recite mantra with no understanding. Further to this observation and through conversation with those who have a bit more understanding of Dharma and have a spiritual guide, there is caution towards Dharma Protector worship due to lack of understanding: they are of the view that Dharma Protectors are wrathful beings who will punish them for “wrong” practice. Wrong would include not doing the practice accurately or making mistakes. From this, it seems that they relate Dharma Protectors to worldly deities instead of enlightened beings who are compassionate like the Buddha.

The good news is, there is awareness of Dharma Protectors, specifically Dorje Shugden. The challenge is to develop accurate view about these enlightened beings who are necessary to remove the many obstacles more and more Chinese people will face as life gets more bedazzling in this prospering nation.

Therefore, it very necessary for us to grab opportunities that provides accurate information about our Great King to our Chinese Dharma brothers and sisters. As China moves quickly in most things, clear and right understanding can be achieved swiftly. It is just what we as Dorje Shugden practitioners pro-actively do in contribution to make this happen. Perhaps constructive efforts (as in the thread titled “why we should not over-criticize the Dalai Lama”) will be one way to make this happen as soon as possible!

Accurate information is so crucial to every aspect of our Dharma practice. That's why i love this website so much - because there is a wealth of information on Dorje Shugden available which is continuously updated. If anyone comes across any news articles or relevant information on our Protector, please do post here on the website so everyone can learn.