Author Topic: WITH COMPASSIONATE MOTIVATION - ADVICE FROM THE HEART  (Read 11063 times)

Helena

• Email
WITH COMPASSIONATE MOTIVATION - ADVICE FROM THE HEART
« on: July 29, 2010, 08:59:41 PM »
Yes, we must speak up.

Yes, we must defend.

Yes, we need to clarify and promote DS to the world.

But at all time, with a peace-loving heart and a sincere motivation that is for the good of the greater whole.

Compassion alone is not enough.

Wisdom alone is not enough.

Compassion and Wisdom combined = Skillful Means = beneficial results that enlightens others, helps others and not just ourselves - everyone grows and becomes better - not exclusive of others, not at the expense of others.

Here, I would like to share something beautiful with everyone.

I've taken the liberty to highlight in BOLD what I truly value.

May you all truly have a wonderful weekend ahead.

Metta,
Helena

ON FORGIVENESS

"He abused me, he struck me, he overcame me, he robbed me”—in those who harbor such thoughts hatred will never cease.

He abused me, he struck me, he overcame me, he robbed me”—in those who do not harbor such thoughts hatred will cease. "

-- Dhammapada 1.3–4; trans. Radhakrishnan

Advice from Atisha's Heart

"How wonderful!

Friends, since you already have great knowledge and clear understanding, whereas I am of no importance and have little wisdom, it is not suitable for you to request advice from me. However because you dear friends, whom I cherish from my heart, have requested me, I shall give you this essential advice from my inferior and childish mind.

Friends, until you attain enlightenment the Spiritual Teacher is indispensable, therefore rely upon the holy Spiritual Guide. 

Until you realize ultimate truth, listening is indispensable, therefore listen to the instructions of the Spiritual Guide.

Since you cannot become a Buddha merely by understanding Dharma, practice earnestly with understanding.

Avoid places that disturb your mind, and always remain where your virtues increase.

Until you attain stable realizations, worldly amusements are harmful, therefore abide in a place where there are no such distractions.

Avoid friends who cause you to increase delusions, and rely upon those who increase your virtue. This you should take to heart.

Since there is never a time when worldly activities come to an end, limit your activities.

Dedicate your virtues throughout the day and the night, and always watch your mind.

Because you have received advice, whenever you are not meditating always practice in accordance with what your Spiritual Guide says.

If you practice with great devotion, results will arise immediately, without your having to wait for a long time.

If from your heart you practice in accordance with Dharma, both food and resources will come naturally to hand.

Friends, the things you desire give no more satisfaction than drinking sea water, therefore practice contentment.

Avoid all haughty, conceited, proud, and arrogant minds, and remain peaceful and subdued.

Avoid activities that are said to be meritorious, but which in fact are obstacles to Dharma.

Profit and respect are nooses of the maras, so brush them aside like stones on the path.

Words of praise and fame serve only to beguile us, therefore blow them away as you would blow your nose.

Since the happiness, pleasure, and friends you gather in this life last only for a moment, put them all behind you.

Since future lives last for a very long time, gather up riches to provide for the future.

You will have to depart leaving everything behind, so do not be attached to anything.

Generate compassion for lowly beings, and especially avoid despising or humiliating them.

Have no hatred for enemies, and no attachment for friends.

Do not be jealous of others' good qualities, but out of admiration adopt them yourself.

Do not look for faults in others, but look for faults in yourself, and purge them like bad blood.

Do not contemplate your own good qualities, but contemplate the good qualities of others, and respect everyone as a servant would.

See all living beings as your father or mother, and love them as if you were their child.

Always keep a smiling face and a loving mind, and speak truthfully without malice.

If you talk too much with little meaning you will make mistakes, therefore speak in moderation, only when necessary.

If you engage in many meaningless activities your virtuous activities will degenerate, therefore stop activities that are not spiritual.

It is completely meaningless to put effort into activities that have no essence.

If the things you desire do not come it is due to karma created long ago, therefore keep a happy and relaxed mind.

Beware, offending a holy being is worse than dying, therefore be honest and straightforward.

Since all the happiness and suffering of this life arise from previous actions, do not blame others.

All happiness comes from the blessings of your Spiritual Guide, therefore always repay his kindness.

Since you cannot tame the minds of others until you have tamed your own, begin by taming your own mind.

Since you will definitely have to depart without the wealth you have accumulated, do not accumulate negativity for the sake of wealth.

Distracting enjoyments have no essence, therefore sincerely practice giving.

Always keep pure moral discipline for it leads to beauty in this life and happiness hereafter.

Since hatred is rife in these impure times, don the armour of patience, free from anger.

You remain in samsara through the power of laziness, therefore ignite the fire of the effort of application.

Since this human life is wasted by indulging in distractions, now is the time to practice concentration.

Being under the influence of wrong views you do not realize the ultimate nature of things, therefore investigate correct meanings.

Friends, there is no happiness in this swamp of samsara, so move to the firm ground of liberation.

Meditate according to the advice of your Spiritual Guide and dry up the river of samsaric suffering.

You should consider this well because it is not just words from the mouth, but sincere advice from the heart.

If you practice like this you will delight me, and you will bring happiness to yourself and others.

I who am ignorant request you to take this advice to heart.

[i]This is the advice that the holy being Venerable Atisha gave to Venerable Jangchub Ö."

Translation by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.

SOURCE: THE NEW MEDITATION HANDBOOK BY GESHE KELSANG GYATSO
[/b][/i]

(Source: www.buddha.net)

"Please put the attention on the breath.

Have forgiveness in your heart for anything you think you've done wrong . Forgive yourself for all the past omissions and commissions. They are long gone. Understand that you were a different person and this one is forgiving that one that you were. Feel that forgiveness filling you and enveloping you with a sense of warmth and ease.

Think of your parents. Forgive them for anything you have ever blamed them for. Understand that they too are different now. Let this forgiveness fill them, surround them, knowing in your heart that this is your most wonderful way of togetherness.

Think of your nearest and dearest people . Forgive them for anything that you think they have done wrong or are doing wrong at this time. Fill them with your forgiveness. Let them feel that you accept them. Let that forgiveness fill them. Realizing that this is your expression of love.

Now think of your friends. Forgive them for anything you have disliked about them. Let your forgiveness reach out to them, so that they can be filled with it, embraced by it.

Think of the people you know, whoever they might be, and forgive them all for whatever it is that you have blamed them for, that you have judged them for, that you have disliked. Let your forgiveness fill their hearts, surround them, envelope them, be your expression of love for them.

Now think of any special person whom you really need to forgive. Towards whom you still have resentment, rejection, dislike. Forgive him or her fully. Remember that everyone has dukkha. Let this forgiveness come from your heart. Reach out to that person, complete and total.

Think of any one person, or any situation, or any group of people whom you are condemning, blaming, disliking. Forgive them, completely. Let your forgiveness be your expression of unconditional love. They may not do the right things.

Human beings have dukkha. And your heart needs the forgiveness in order to have purity of love.

Have a look again and see whether there's anyone or anything, any where in the world, towards whom you have blame or condemnation. And forgive the people or the person, so that there is no separation your heart.

Now put your attention back on yourself. And recognize the goodness in you. The effort you are making. Feel the warmth and ease that comes from forgiveness."

May all beings have forgiveness in their hearts!

Helena

Dharmapal

Re: WITH COMPASSIONATE MOTIVATION - ADVICE FROM THE HEART
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 09:09:01 PM »
Helena,

It is a grave mistake to assume that because people speak up against the Dalai Lama, they do not have forgiveness in their hearts. It is patronizing to quote Dharma texts in this context, suggesting that there are people not following this advice.

Forgiveness is not the same as non-action. With great compassion, wisdom and skill many Gelugpas are speaking up against the Dalai Lama.

I have no dislike of the Dalai Lama and I wish him to be free from all delusions as soon as possible -- if i could simply turn him upside down and shake out all his wrong views and cruelty, i would.

But I will never tolerate his actions when it comes to destroying something so precious and destroying the spiritual lives of so many.

Are you saying that Gandhi, Martin Luther King and all others over the centuries who have spoken up for the oppressed should instead have practiced your version of "forgiveness"?

Dharmapal

Helena

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 09:31:32 PM »
Dear Dharmapala,

I do not assume that when people speak up that they do not have forgiveness in their hearts. But perhaps, in the way in which they speak up would suggest or reflect if they have forgiveness in their hearts or not. In any case, only they themselves would know best.

I am sharing something in here that I find beautiful and helpful to me. Because it has been helpful and valuable to me, I would like to share it. If you deem this as patronizing, then I am sorry that you feel that way because it is not my intention.

I do not have any ability to hold, preach or propose any version of 'forgiveness'. I am not sure if there are so many different versions of forgiveness as you suggest.

Again, I never said not to speak up. Again, what I have been advocating is the MANNER in which we choose to speak up - that reflects our own Dharma Practice and what our Protector upholds.

As you so clearly said in the other thread, it is with compassion. So, if it is with compassion - then your words would naturally be flowing with that and people would naturally feel that compassion streaming through. 

I am not suggesting that there are people not following this advice or are following this advice.

I am not suggesting anything at all.

I am not qualified. I am sharing what I find really that's useful to me.

Helena

crazycloud

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 10:13:12 PM »

Again, I never said not to speak up. Again, what I have been advocating is the MANNER in which we choose to speak up - that reflects our own Dharma Practice and what our Protector upholds.

As you so clearly said in the other thread, it is with compassion. So, if it is with compassion - then your words would naturally be flowing with that and people would naturally feel that compassion streaming through. 

hi h

the fact is, we need to speak up so that people will take note of this issue. the way in which we speak up IS important, and it has been demonstrated over decades that "sweet" compassionate speech has little benefit for our cause.

The Dalai Lama is destroying our lineage through the force of his reputation, therefore, unfortunately his reputation must be made to more closely reflect the reality of the situation. In other words, the only leverage we have over this political man is that he is very nervous to gaud his reputation. Without it, the money and respect of the west dries up, and his imaginary feifdom begins to evaporate.

It was through our demonstrations that the Dalai Lama was forced to withdraw back into the shadows and Shar Ganden and Serpom Norling were able to arise.

This is is a confrontation for the future of the path in our world. No worries if a few people don't like to hear our "harsh speech," in reality, we are just telling the truth with a good motivation.

it's not a contest as to who can use nicer speech, it is an attempt to stop the Dalia Lama from destroying a very precious and pure path to enlightenment in this world. As a result, it's nature is compassion, even if to outsiders it looks like a conflagration of red and black fire and wind.

cheers

thaimonk

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:43:54 PM »
Yes, we must speak up.

Yes, we must defend.

Yes, we need to clarify and promote DS to the world.

But at all time, with a peace-loving heart and a sincere motivation that is for the good of the greater whole.

Compassion alone is not enough.

Wisdom alone is not enough.

Compassion and Wisdom combined = Skillful Means = beneficial results that enlightens others, helps others and not just ourselves - everyone grows and becomes better - not exclusive of others, not at the expense of others.

Here, I would like to share something beautiful with everyone.

I've taken the liberty to highlight in BOLD what I truly value.

May you all truly have a wonderful weekend ahead.

Metta,
Helena

ON FORGIVENESS

"He abused me, he struck me, he overcame me, he robbed me”—in those who harbor such thoughts hatred will never cease.

He abused me, he struck me, he overcame me, he robbed me”—in those who do not harbor such thoughts hatred will cease. "

-- Dhammapada 1.3–4; trans. Radhakrishnan

Advice from Atisha's Heart

"How wonderful!

Friends, since you already have great knowledge and clear understanding, whereas I am of no importance and have little wisdom, it is not suitable for you to request advice from me. However because you dear friends, whom I cherish from my heart, have requested me, I shall give you this essential advice from my inferior and childish mind.

Friends, until you attain enlightenment the Spiritual Teacher is indispensable, therefore rely upon the holy Spiritual Guide. 

Until you realize ultimate truth, listening is indispensable, therefore listen to the instructions of the Spiritual Guide.

Since you cannot become a Buddha merely by understanding Dharma, practice earnestly with understanding.

Avoid places that disturb your mind, and always remain where your virtues increase.

Until you attain stable realizations, worldly amusements are harmful, therefore abide in a place where there are no such distractions.

Avoid friends who cause you to increase delusions, and rely upon those who increase your virtue. This you should take to heart.

Since there is never a time when worldly activities come to an end, limit your activities.

Dedicate your virtues throughout the day and the night, and always watch your mind.

Because you have received advice, whenever you are not meditating always practice in accordance with what your Spiritual Guide says.

If you practice with great devotion, results will arise immediately, without your having to wait for a long time.

If from your heart you practice in accordance with Dharma, both food and resources will come naturally to hand.

Friends, the things you desire give no more satisfaction than drinking sea water, therefore practice contentment.

Avoid all haughty, conceited, proud, and arrogant minds, and remain peaceful and subdued.

Avoid activities that are said to be meritorious, but which in fact are obstacles to Dharma.

Profit and respect are nooses of the maras, so brush them aside like stones on the path.

Words of praise and fame serve only to beguile us, therefore blow them away as you would blow your nose.

Since the happiness, pleasure, and friends you gather in this life last only for a moment, put them all behind you.

Since future lives last for a very long time, gather up riches to provide for the future.

You will have to depart leaving everything behind, so do not be attached to anything.

Generate compassion for lowly beings, and especially avoid despising or humiliating them.

Have no hatred for enemies, and no attachment for friends.

Do not be jealous of others' good qualities, but out of admiration adopt them yourself.

Do not look for faults in others, but look for faults in yourself, and purge them like bad blood.

Do not contemplate your own good qualities, but contemplate the good qualities of others, and respect everyone as a servant would.

See all living beings as your father or mother, and love them as if you were their child.

Always keep a smiling face and a loving mind, and speak truthfully without malice.

If you talk too much with little meaning you will make mistakes, therefore speak in moderation, only when necessary.

If you engage in many meaningless activities your virtuous activities will degenerate, therefore stop activities that are not spiritual.

It is completely meaningless to put effort into activities that have no essence.

If the things you desire do not come it is due to karma created long ago, therefore keep a happy and relaxed mind.

Beware, offending a holy being is worse than dying, therefore be honest and straightforward.

Since all the happiness and suffering of this life arise from previous actions, do not blame others.

All happiness comes from the blessings of your Spiritual Guide, therefore always repay his kindness.

Since you cannot tame the minds of others until you have tamed your own, begin by taming your own mind.

Since you will definitely have to depart without the wealth you have accumulated, do not accumulate negativity for the sake of wealth.

Distracting enjoyments have no essence, therefore sincerely practice giving.

Always keep pure moral discipline for it leads to beauty in this life and happiness hereafter.

Since hatred is rife in these impure times, don the armour of patience, free from anger.

You remain in samsara through the power of laziness, therefore ignite the fire of the effort of application.

Since this human life is wasted by indulging in distractions, now is the time to practice concentration.

Being under the influence of wrong views you do not realize the ultimate nature of things, therefore investigate correct meanings.

Friends, there is no happiness in this swamp of samsara, so move to the firm ground of liberation.

Meditate according to the advice of your Spiritual Guide and dry up the river of samsaric suffering.

You should consider this well because it is not just words from the mouth, but sincere advice from the heart.

If you practice like this you will delight me, and you will bring happiness to yourself and others.

I who am ignorant request you to take this advice to heart.

[i]This is the advice that the holy being Venerable Atisha gave to Venerable Jangchub Ö."

Translation by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.

SOURCE: THE NEW MEDITATION HANDBOOK BY GESHE KELSANG GYATSO
[/b][/i]

(Source: www.buddha.net)

"Please put the attention on the breath.

Have forgiveness in your heart for anything you think you've done wrong . Forgive yourself for all the past omissions and commissions. They are long gone. Understand that you were a different person and this one is forgiving that one that you were. Feel that forgiveness filling you and enveloping you with a sense of warmth and ease.

Think of your parents. Forgive them for anything you have ever blamed them for. Understand that they too are different now. Let this forgiveness fill them, surround them, knowing in your heart that this is your most wonderful way of togetherness.

Think of your nearest and dearest people . Forgive them for anything that you think they have done wrong or are doing wrong at this time. Fill them with your forgiveness. Let them feel that you accept them. Let that forgiveness fill them. Realizing that this is your expression of love.

Now think of your friends. Forgive them for anything you have disliked about them. Let your forgiveness reach out to them, so that they can be filled with it, embraced by it.

Think of the people you know, whoever they might be, and forgive them all for whatever it is that you have blamed them for, that you have judged them for, that you have disliked. Let your forgiveness fill their hearts, surround them, envelope them, be your expression of love for them.

Now think of any special person whom you really need to forgive. Towards whom you still have resentment, rejection, dislike. Forgive him or her fully. Remember that everyone has dukkha. Let this forgiveness come from your heart. Reach out to that person, complete and total.

Think of any one person, or any situation, or any group of people whom you are condemning, blaming, disliking. Forgive them, completely. Let your forgiveness be your expression of unconditional love. They may not do the right things.

Human beings have dukkha. And your heart needs the forgiveness in order to have purity of love.

Have a look again and see whether there's anyone or anything, any where in the world, towards whom you have blame or condemnation. And forgive the people or the person, so that there is no separation your heart.

Now put your attention back on yourself. And recognize the goodness in you. The effort you are making. Feel the warmth and ease that comes from forgiveness."

May all beings have forgiveness in their hearts!

Wonderful energy, time and research you have put into this post to give us knowledge. I love posts that gives us knowledge and not just put down Dalai Lama. You don't agree with him? Fine. Needn't post over and over how much you don't agree with him .  But let's share knowledge, information and learning. This is what I found in this post. Helpful to me . Thank you very much.

crazycloud

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 10:52:50 PM »
I love posts that gives us knowledge and not just put down Dalai Lama. You don't agree with him? Fine. Needn't post over and over how much you don't agree with him .  But let's share knowledge, information and learning. This is what I found in this post. Helpful to me . Thank you very much.

Thaimonk

when we post about not agreeing with mr DL, many of us give good reasons why we disagree, and these reasons can educate an inform. It is not true that people just post over and over that they do not agree wiht no reasons given.

cheers...

honeydakini

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 04:53:31 PM »
I think we are all starting to repeat our points, just written in different ways. Even in wanting to respond to some of the posts here, I realise that I have already said what I had wanted to say before, and the response is just the same as what it was before in the first place.

It is very clear by now that there are some people who feel that speaking up with a good motivation is important and an integral part of supporting this cause.

It is also very clear that there are others who agree that speaking up is important but that we must consider not only good motivation but also the skilful means with which we speak and how it may or may not offend, put people off practice or reflect negatively on “our side”

These points have been repeated in many, many ways; even I’m beginning to feel like a broken record!  I think what Helena has done here with this posting is commendable – to share Dharma information that may or may not be directly related to all these postings. In either case, it is very helpful Dharma information that we can ALL BENEFIT FROM. No need to get defensive and say it is mistaken or patronising or suggest that it is not useful.

I started a threat “a little balance” – perhaps I may mean more than that now. I think it is very clear to all that we disagree on several points but ultimately we are all united in our love for our protector and our wish to be able to share and preserve this practice in the world. Can we agree to disagree, and move beyond trying to convince each other constantly and repeating our same points. As Thaimonk has also suggested, lets look at other ways of sharing (new) information, education and resources on our Protector?

triesa

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 05:03:44 PM »
Dear Helena,

Thank you for sharing this powerful meditation on forgivness. I love it!  It is not easy to practise all of them but I think if we find time to contemplate on all the points you have mentioned on a daily basis, our mind set will definitely change. Actually forgiveness is a powerful tool in one's spiritual practice. And it is SO IMPORTANT to practise forgivness to ourselves and of course to others as well.

Well, since the Dalai Lama issue comes out again, I would like to share again my personal opinion on DL...even though outwardly DL is condeming the practice of Dorje Shugden, I have always thought DL did this for a better reason. If we believe he is the enmanation of Chenrizig,he is a buddha, then I would rather choose to believe that whatever he is saying or doing now may have a greater purpose for the future of Dorje Shugden. I can't even think of why DL would make himself sound so illogical on so many issues on Dorje Shugden if he is an enlightened being. So I could only think that he did all these for a greater purpose, a much higher purpose than what we can comprehand at this level. You may say I am silly, I think DL is willing to have his name tarnished in the history of Tibetan Buddhism to prepare and pave way for the king, Dorje Shugden. The impact is that just because DL is condeming Dorje shugden, DS is fluorishing in China whose population is over 1.3 billions. Imagine the benefits to all these people when they engage in DS practice and when DS practice spreads over there? Isn't the magical work of Bodhisattva always benefit people, the more the better?

Triesa

shugdenprotect

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 09:38:38 AM »
Firstly, thank you Helena for posting this meditation on forgiveness. Forgiveness is something many struggle with. The inability to forgive can become a prison of the heart and we encumber ourselves with a “baggage” each time we hold a grudge against someone. In forgiving, we gain freedom to move forward to experience again. In forgiving we also open our eyes to see what is before us right NOW, and not what happened in the past. I read a powerful book on forgiveness by HH the Dalai Lama and Victor Chan titled “The Wisdom of Forgiveness”. It is a must read in relation to this subject matter!

On another matter, it is very good to share knowledge and information. However, it is just as important to be relevant to current conditions. As stated, “It was through our demonstrations that the Dalai Lama was forced to withdraw back into the shadows and Shar Ganden and Serpom Norling were able to arise.” This is wonderful for creating the opportunity for Dorje Shugden practice to flourish once more at that time. Thank you.

However, today, since HH the Dalai Lama has already withdrawn, it may not be necessary to prioritize communication of his “badness” anymore. Instead, it could be more constructive to focus our time and effort to share everything we know about our beloved protector Dorje Shugden and pure Dharma teachings like what Helena is doing here.

honeydakini

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 04:04:55 AM »

However, today, since HH the Dalai Lama has already withdrawn, it may not be necessary to prioritize communication of his “badness” anymore. Instead, it could be more constructive to focus our time and effort to share everything we know about our beloved protector Dorje Shugden and pure Dharma teachings like what Helena is doing here.

Hey ShugdenProtect,
that's a good point - I hadn't even realised that... In the midst of all the constant talk about Dalai Lama, I hadn't  realised until this very moment that actually, it's been rather quiet on the Dalai Lama front recently. I haven't heard anything in the news recently anyway and from what I understand, although things are still pretty bad, it hasn't become worse (unless anyone has any further information to add to this?). With the advent of monasteries like Shar Gaden and Serpom (especially what we've been hearing from Tenzin Sungrab), there seems to be more good news, actually!

I think what you have said is excellent: "not to prioritise communication of his "badness" anymore but to focus our time and effort to share everything we know about DS and Dharma".

May I point everyone to these two postings, which looks at WHAT ELSE WE CAN DO to make our holy protector rise in the world:

From TK: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=854.msg9717#msg9717

From Tenzin Sungrab: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=863.msg9964#msg9964

And do share with others the pretty little starter kit that's up on the front page: http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=4213 a way of bringing  Dorje Shugden's great lineage to the world in a very positive way!

Helena

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 04:34:31 PM »
Thank you for sharing all your comments.

Whatever it is that we choose to do, if it does create negative feelings and thoughts towards anyone or something - I personally do not see it as helping or set with compassion. But that's just my opinion.

Yes, I am all for clarifying what wrong has been done, but we can do so with the focus in highlighting the wrong acts and deeds themselves - not a personal attack on that person in question.

I am not interested to invest my energies and time to craft a campaign whose purpose is to destroy someone's reputation. I do not think I have that power anyways. Because the individual themselves would be the owner of such a reputation by the virtue of their body, speech and mine over time. Their own karma will take care of them in the end. It is not for me to judge nor decide.

I like what ShugdenProtect wrote - "not to prioritise communication of his "badness" anymore but to focus our time and effort to share everything we know about DS and Dharma". And that is what I prefer to do, and will continue doing.

My deepest prayers to all. Have a good evening.

Helena

diamond girl

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing all your comments.

Whatever it is that we choose to do, if it does create negative feelings and thoughts towards anyone or something - I personally do not see it as helping or set with compassion. But that's just my opinion.

Yes, I am all for clarifying what wrong has been done, but we can do so with the focus in highlighting the wrong acts and deeds themselves - not a personal attack on that person in question.

I am not interested to invest my energies and time to craft a campaign whose purpose is to destroy someone's reputation. I do not think I have that power anyways. Because the individual themselves would be the owner of such a reputation by the virtue of their body, speech and mine over time. Their own karma will take care of them in the end. It is not for me to judge nor decide.

I like what ShugdenProtect wrote - "not to prioritise communication of his "badness" anymore but to focus our time and effort to share everything we know about DS and Dharma". And that is what I prefer to do, and will continue doing.

My deepest prayers to all. Have a good evening.

I think we are all starting to repeat our points, just written in different ways. Even in wanting to respond to some of the posts here, I realise that I have already said what I had wanted to say before, and the response is just the same as what it was before in the first place.

It is very clear by now that there are some people who feel that speaking up with a good motivation is important and an integral part of supporting this cause.

It is also very clear that there are others who agree that speaking up is important but that we must consider not only good motivation but also the skilful means with which we speak and how it may or may not offend, put people off practice or reflect negatively on “our side”

These points have been repeated in many, many ways; even I’m beginning to feel like a broken record!  I think what Helena has done here with this posting is commendable – to share Dharma information that may or may not be directly related to all these postings. In either case, it is very helpful Dharma information that we can ALL BENEFIT FROM. No need to get defensive and say it is mistaken or patronising or suggest that it is not useful.

I started a threat “a little balance” – perhaps I may mean more than that now. I think it is very clear to all that we disagree on several points but ultimately we are all united in our love for our protector and our wish to be able to share and preserve this practice in the world. Can we agree to disagree, and move beyond trying to convince each other constantly and repeating our same points. As Thaimonk has also suggested, lets look at other ways of sharing (new) information, education and resources on our Protector?

Honeydakini and Helena,

THANK YOU and well said.  ;)

Forgiveness is such an integral part of happiness. Why are we angry? Why do we keep harboring negative thoughts? Why do we keep ourselves unhappy? Because we do not let go, we do not forgive. Yes, easier said than done,  which is why we need to channel our energy to practise forgiveness and not indulge in playing our depressing "broken records".

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 02:19:38 AM »
come to think of it, there's been no noise from Dharamsala for quite a while. I wonder if the news of the return of TDG sort of "calmed" them down (or is it daily sheer shattering for them) that they're working round the clock quietly to do something about it.

Nevertheless, in the spirit of Buddhism, it is essential to forgive and more importantly let go of the hurt, pain and other negative emotions which comes along with it as well. In the long run, if it is our lord protector's teachings we uphold, the very fact that compassion and love is the main focus of his existence. we should all strive to do the same.

I personally feel that even though with all the drama from both sides, whether anti Dalai Lama or Anti Shugden, we all have a goal, that's called Enlightenment. Let's work on getting that instead.

thanks

H1N1
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

pgdharma

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 02:17:56 PM »

Thank you, Helena for such a beautiful post on compassion.   One must be ready to forgive and let go in order to gain freedom.

To quote from shugdenprotect,” I read a powerful book on forgiveness by HH the Dalai Lama and Victor Chan titled “The Wisdom of Forgiveness”. It is a must read in relation to this subject matter!” from which I would like to quote a question that Victor asked HH the Dalai Lama, “So to be able to forgive your enemies can make a difference to one’s spiritual progress?
 And HH the Dalai Lama replied “Yes, yes, there’s no doubt. It’s crucial. It’s one of the most important things.  It can change one’s life. To reduce hatred and other destructive emotions, you must develop the opposites –compassion and kindness. If you have strong compassion, strong respect for others, then forgiveness is much easier. Mainly for this reason: I do not want to harm another.   Forgiveness allows you to be in touch with these positive emotions. This will help with spiritual development.”

So I feel it is very important to forgive and stop harboring negative thoughts that may not bring any benefit to oneself.