Author Topic: Venerable Lati Rinpoche in his last meditation  (Read 9351 times)

a friend

Venerable Lati Rinpoche in his last meditation
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:47:08 AM »

I have received some sad news. Venerable Lati Rinpoche passed away in the morning of April 12th, India. Apparently he is right now in his last meditation, the body still warm.
We present our heartfelt condoleances to all of those who had him as their Guru.
Although our teachers never get separated from us, it's very sad not to have them around in their compassionate physical presence.
I am sorry for the Dalai Lama, to have lost this great Master who stayed close to him in his great compassion.

I am sorry, I am too sad to write more.

Midakpa

Re: Venerable Lati Rinpoche in his last meditation
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:56:57 AM »
I join you in expressing my condolences to all who have had Venerable Lati Rinpoche as their guru. I've heard many good things about this wonderful Gelugpa master.

vajralight

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:05:36 AM »

http://lol8.blogspot.com/2010/04/kyabje-lati-rinpoches-passing.html

Kyabje Lati Rinpoche's passing (Day 1)

At around noon today, I received news from DPL (Gaden Shartse Drophenling) that one of my most respected gurus, His Eminence Kensur Kyabje Lati Rinpoche, has passed away early this morning at 5:25am, 12 April in Dharamsala India. Lati Rinpoche was 88 years old.

Rinpoche passed away peacefully in his residence unexpectedly. He was not hospitalized. This morning when Rinpoche woke up, he did his usual prayers and told his personal assistant, Sopon-la, he wanted to take his bath. This was unusual as Rinpoche normally had his breakfast before his bath each morning. Prior to that, he had also circumambulated His Holiness the Dalai Lama's temple. (Below photo, Lati Rinpoche with his personal assistant for decades, Sopon-la).

After his bath, Lati Rinpoche instructed Sopon-la to leave his room, and said: "it is time for me to go". With that, Rinpoche entered into clear light meditation. Rinpoche's body is currently still warm and in the meditative state. This is a sign of an Enlightened being. We do not know how long Rinpoche will be in this state, can be 3 days, 7 days, 21 days etc... As and when his consciousness leaves him, Rinpoche's body will then be brought back to Mundgod, his monastery, for the fire puja (cremation). Arrangements are in the process to construct Rinpoche's stupa which is expected to house his relics when the time comes. Rinpoche's monastery, Gaden Shartse, will be making offerings to the 3 great monasteries on behalf of Lati Rinpoche's name, which will be to Gaden, Sera and Drepung monasteries. The number of Sangha in these 3 monasteries alone totals 10,000 monks. Lati Rinpoche was a great, deeply respected Gelug master and one of the most senior Buddhist teacher in these 3 monasteries. All the Sangha will be conducting prayers for Rinpoche in their respective monasteries and many more are expected to attend his fire puja as well as to pay their last respect to Rinpoche.

And:

http://lol8.blogspot.com/2010/04/kyabje-lati-rinpoche-passing-part-3.html

Just received latest news from the Gaden Shartse Dro-Phen Ling:

Our dearest Guru, Lati Rinpoche has come out of meditation at 10+ am just now. Attendants and students will bring Rinpoche back to Mundgod, South India to Gaden Shartse Monastery tomorrow. The fire puja is estimated to be held on 18th April this Sunday (to be re-confirmed).

We will also continue our Guru Puja & Tsog Offerings every evening  12 April to 18 April at 7.30pm until this Sunday. If you would like to plant the seed of connection with Lati Rinpoche and would like to pay your last respect to him, please join DPL for the prayers any evening from now till 18 April. Let's continue to pray for Rinpoche's swift swift return!

Also:

http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/2010/04/his-eminence-kyabje-lati-rinpoche-enters-clear-light.html

May this humble Master return for the sake of all sentient beings.

Vajra

honeydakini

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 04:27:17 PM »
Lati Rinpoche was the guru of so many other eminent lamas, and tutor to many high lamas still in the monastery. This is posted on Tsem Rinpoche's blog, but I'd like to share it here also: a very beautiful biography of Lati Rinpoche. It is always incredible to learn of these Lamas whose entire lives have been dedicated to the benefit and service of others. Lati Rinpoche was a monk since the age of 15 - how incredible and inspiring.

His Eminence Venerable Kyabje Lati Rinpoche was born in the Kham region of Eastern Tibet in 1922. After the famous Gongkar Rinpoche (previous incarnation) identified and recognized Him as a reincarnation of a great practitioner, Rinpoche consequently embarked on the fulfillment of His destiny by joining the local monastery in Tibet - at the age of ten.

Rinpoche’s Education

By fifteen years old, Rinpoche was enrolled in Gaden Shartse Norling College, located in central Tibet. It is the most prestigious and renowned school in Tibet, and it was at Gaden Shartse Norling College where Rinpoche pursued his study of Buddhist scriptures, and eventually, earning Him the highest honours among the foremost scholars of His day. At that time, Rinpoche’s field of study included Pramana Vidya (Logic), Prajnaparamita (Perfection of Wisdom), Madhyamika (Middle Philosophy), Abidharma (Treasure of Knowledge), Vinaya(Spiritual Rules and Moral Law). In 1959, after nineteen years of intensive study and training, Rinpoche sat for the Geshe Lharmapa examination. This major examination was held in the summer palace of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, located in the capital of Tibet, Lhasa. Candidates were various scholars and top students from the 3 main monasteries, and yet Rinpoche still managed to emerge 2nd overall. In the next year, H.E. was officially conferred as “Geshe Lharampa” – a qualification which is equivalent to the PH.D. degree in the Indian universities. In the same year, Rinpoche joined Gyuto Tantric College in Lhasawhere he undertook the study and intensive training of Tantra. During this period he also served as tutor to many young reincarnate masters and gave numerous public teachings.

Belonging to a very rare class of scholar, saint and practitioner who completed his training in an independent Tibet, Rinpoche continued to spread the Dharma by teachings at various monasteries and schools, after He followed His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama into exile in 1959. In 1964, Rinpoche arrived in Dharamsala, and was subsequently appointed as Spiritual Assistant to His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama – Rinpoche serves His Holiness faithfully till today.

In 1976, under His Holiness’s suggestion, various universities in America invited Lati Rinpoche over, where H.E. gave illuminating dharma discourses to an appreciative public. In addition, Rinpoche taught at Namgyal Gomba (His Holiness’s personal monastery), at the debating college, and has taught and guided many laypeople as well. In the same year, Rinpoche was appointed as the Abbot of the Shartse Norling College of Gaden Monastery, in South India. H.E. held this position for eight years – where besides looking after the administration, discipline and order of the Sangha, Rinpoche also personally taught extensively on all aspects of Buddhism. Rinpoche’s contribution towards Gaden Shartse Norling College is widely recognized by all, and is deeply respected by many devotees all over the world.

Since retirement, Rinpoche dedicated His life mainly on dharma practice, as well as propagating the dharma, guiding people along the path of the dharma. On repeated requests from many countries in Europe and America, Rinpoche has travelled extensively, benefiting dharma students in various parts of the world.

from: Jangchub Gepel Ling's website; http://www.gepeling.org/4.html

honeydakini

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 04:29:14 PM »
By the way, some beautiful photos of Lati Rinpoche can be viewed here:

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=1785