Author Topic: Dorje Shugden and Chöd  (Read 6987 times)

Yeshe

• Email
Dorje Shugden and Chöd
« on: April 01, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »
I am familiar with the HYT practices associated with Vajrayogini and Kusali Tsog.

I understand that there are Chöd and also ritual exorcism practices within the Gelugpa tradition, and have witnessed some.  I believe the exorcism is only available in the Tibetan as written by Je Tsongkhapa.

Does anyone have a link to any resources which describe the role of the Dharmapala in such practices.

I also wonder if a separate initiation is required for  Chöd if one already has the Vajrayogini empowerment.

Thanks. :)

Edit:  I have already read 'Chöd in the Ganden Tradition' by Zong Rinpoche, which was useful.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:10:38 PM by Yeshe »
A compassionate mind cannot be penetrated by anger or attachment.

Zhalmed Pawo

Re: Dorje Shugden and Chöd
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
I also wonder if a separate initiation is required for Chöd if one already has the Vajrayogini empowerment.

Yes, there are specific empowerments of Dakinis for Chöd.

thor

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »
Yes Vajrabhairava as well as Chod or Machig Labdron. Isnt Chod considered one of the most compassionate forms of exorcism?

Yeshe

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 07:02:05 PM »
Yes Vajrabhairava as well as Chod or Machig Labdron. Isnt Chod considered one of the most compassionate forms of exorcism?

I see a strong similarity with Kusali Tsog in the book I quoted above.

The only 'weapon' used in Chod and exorcism is Compassion; for both the spirits and those in other realms affected by them.

I understand that in exorcism gentle persuasion is the first option, perhaps with Tsog offering, followed if necessary by expulsion in which the spirits are bound to keep a promise never to return.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:04:08 PM by Yeshe »
A compassionate mind cannot be penetrated by anger or attachment.