Author Topic: Forget China, let’s fix injustice in our society  (Read 9485 times)

dsnowlion

Forget China, let’s fix injustice in our society
« on: December 12, 2019, 09:49:05 AM »
"Forget China, let’s fix injustice in our society. Its time for better sense to prevail, for the authorities to be competent, responsible, and practice all those flowery words — unity, responsibility, dedication for a better Tibetan society. Strive to make real those words" ;) ;) ;)

That's right Lobsang Wangyal you tell them! Couldn't agree with him more. Thank goodness there are still Tibetans who can "think" logically and dares to voice of the injustice and very political exile community.

Forget China, let’s fix injustice in our society

The words unity, responsibility, dedication are mantras recited by those holding high positions, irrespective of whether they practice these values themselves in Tibetan society. Then there are others, who don’t say these words, but by their own initiative try to do whatever they can for society. One way they do for society is with all kinds of events — social, religious, environmental, commercial — which are produced throughout the year in McLeod Ganj, the heart of the exile Tibetan movement.

Perhaps due to the pleasant autumn weather, October is a particularly busy month, to the point that events even overlap. (It seems that event organisers don’t always check to see if other events have already announced their timing.)

When trying to organise events, reality hits: Useless rules, arbitrary decisions, discrimination, and misuse of power. Dealing with these injustices, one feels like our oppressor is not somewhere else but is among ourselves. It feels like: Forget China, first we need to sort ourselves out. The purpose of this piece is to tell you about an example of this.

Various events are planned by organisations as well as individuals, but venues are not easy to find in McLeod Ganj. For people to be able to easily attend, many of these events need to be held right in McLeod Ganj, rather than in the outskirts such as at the Tibetan Institute of Performing Arts.

One venue that is centrally located, and of appropriate size for many of the events, is the TCV Day School in the middle of McLeod Ganj. It has a hall as well as a courtyard. The hall has a stage with enough room for the size of events that most NGOs or individuals organise. It doesn’t have sound, lighting, or screening facilities though. The courtyard is similarly good for many events. This hall was built by the Tibetan Parents Association of McLeod Ganj, with the majority of the funds contributed by the Dalai Lama’s office. Most events are put on there after school hours, or on holidays, thereby not disturbing children’s education at all.

However, the authorities at the head office of all TCV schools near McLeod Ganj decided a few years ago not to let the Day School facilities out for public use, causing a major problem for all the NGOs and individuals.

It is said that Lukar Jam, in a speech at the Day School venue while campaigning for the post of Sikyong in 2016, made a passing remark on the Dalai Lama’s softening approach towards China, and since then the school authorities stopped letting the school be used for public events. Soon afterwards, Lukar Jam was denied permission to use the TCV college hostel in Bangalore.

Whatever Lukar Jam says will be his responsibility. Nobody criticised TCV for letting the space to him. Even if somebody criticises anyone within the premises of a TCV school, it will be that person’s responsibility. TCV doesn’t have to take the responsibility for that person’s views. Why would TCV try to stop anybody from speaking their mind anyway?

I have also used the TCV Day School for some of my own productions over the years. I have organised the Free Spirit Film Festival and Sing for Tibet at this venue, with all the dues cleared on time. But for the last few years, I have not been allowed to hold any event there. Ditto for the NGOs.

I have been hoping the situation will change, and kept going yearly to the TCV head office to request the venue for the film festival. I also requested the venue for the Miss Himalaya Pageant, a social, cultural, and educational event for the empowerment of young women from the Himalayan region. I had been particularly hopeful because the biggest film festival in the area had been organised at the main TCV School for three consecutive years, all the while we (NGOs and individuals) were being denied permission to use the TCV Day School in McLeod Ganj.

The big film festival organisers had everything at their disposal, using the TCV main hall as well as the grounds, even during school hours, and students were called to watch films.

I never brought up this problem with the school authorities because I am neither jealous nor do I feel any sense of competition with them. If theirs is going on well, so be it. I like that.

Last year, another film festival was given the Day School venue, but I was still refused. I didn’t complain because, again, if that festival is successful, I am happy.

This year, when I requested the Day School venue for my events, the President of TCV School refused as before, saying that it’s a “school environment,” and that the Board of Directors of the school had decided not to let the venue for public use.

Really?

Now answer this: What happened to that decision when others were allowed to use those venues?

These venues are not private property, that they can decide who could use them or not according to their whims and fancies. Its only because I am a commoner that they can discriminate like that. I don’t see any other reason. If we are to accept such injustice and discrimination, why not just accept that of the Chinese government as well? Why waste time and energy organising anti-China protests?

The purpose of this piece is not to make an issue about those who got the venue, but rather to say that the decision to not allow use of the Day School venue is not sensible at all. Such a decision seems to be nothing but a reflection of their incompetence and irresponsibility. What else is there to justify these illogical decisions on use of the venue? None of the events come in the way of children’s education, or anything like that.

An explanation is looked forward to, as to why the decision to not let the TCV Day School venue is good, or, what necessitated the authorities to make such a decision.

Its time for better sense to prevail, for the authorities to be competent, responsible, and practice all those flowery words — unity, responsibility, dedication for a better Tibetan society. Strive to make real those words emblazoned in bold at the main TCV School “Come to Learn, Go to Serve”.

Source: https://www.tibetsun.com/opinions/2019/12/03/forget-china-lets-fix-injustice-in-our-society

Ngawang

Re: Forget China, let’s fix injustice in our society
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 07:45:40 AM »
I do hope that China will just go in a fix Tibetan's problem since the CTA had been proven to be ineffective in handling the Tibetans. 60 years had passed and Tibetans are still stuck in India as refugees. I wonder why the Tibetans are still not running back to Tibet under China. What is there to lose since they have already at the bottom of the pit right now.

Since CTA is not going to do the right thing and help them, they might as well go to China. Just look at how China had helped Tibet in so many ways and almost eradicated poverty. Tibet is in the best condition that it had ever been. It will be foolish to still follow CTA and suffer in India.

Tracy

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 04:57:27 AM »
The comment is very straight to the point. It is a fact there is no justice in the Tibetan community in India. People who are against or do not agree with the CTA will be penalised. For example, people who do not want to give up Dorje Shugden practice are segregated and not allowed to be integrated in the Tibetan community. Basic rights as a Tibetan such as working in a government agency, receiving medical treatments from government run hospitals, attending the Dalai Lama's talks (religious or political) are taken away by the CTA. As a result, there is no harmony and unity in the Tibetan community, there is no progress in the free Tibet movement.

dsnowlion

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 07:30:33 AM »
I do hope that China will just go in a fix Tibetan's problem since the CTA had been proven to be ineffective in handling the Tibetans. 60 years had passed and Tibetans are still stuck in India as refugees. I wonder why the Tibetans are still not running back to Tibet under China. What is there to lose since they have already at the bottom of the pit right now.

Since CTA is not going to do the right thing and help them, they might as well go to China. Just look at how China had helped Tibet in so many ways and almost eradicated poverty. Tibet is in the best condition that it had ever been. It will be foolish to still follow CTA and suffer in India.

Are you serious Ngawang? For starters... why on earth would China be bothered with exile Tibetans who keeps challenging them??? China got what they want - Tibet. The only thing the want now is the Dalai Lama or rather the authority to claim the next incarnation. Other than that, they do not really care for Tibetans. Look although I dislike CTA's injustice, discrimination and causing disunity to their own people, I wouldn't say going back to Tibet China is something great either. There is still great suppression there and Tibetans are very loyal to the Dalai Lama although a minority has changed. And not necessarily a Shugdenpas. Mind you there are a lot of Shugdenpas who actually loves the Dalai Lama still.

Actually, it would be great if they all can work hand in hand with China and to preserve Buddhism, that would be the ultimate and I guess that is what the Dalai Lama is trying to do when he said Tibetans should make friends with China. That's already a huge HINT to his motivation. So amazingly wise!