Author Topic: Dalai Lama, "I'm a refugee but I enjoy freedom in India"  (Read 11606 times)

Tracy

Dalai Lama, "I'm a refugee but I enjoy freedom in India"
« on: October 14, 2019, 02:18:04 PM »
The Dalai Lama says the Tibetans have already decided not to seek independence since 1974. What the Tibetans want is to be part of China but given the rights to preserve their culture. However, Lobsang Sangay seems to have different idea.

He still talks about free Tibet, he continues to condemn China for suppressing Tibetans. Why is Lobsang Sangay going against the Dalai Lama and decided to override the decision made in 1974?

---------------
In one way, I'm a refugee but I enjoy freedom in India, says Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama
India
Updated Oct 14, 2019 | 08:34 IST | Times Now Digital

Una: Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama has said that “he is a refugee in India” while adding that he enjoys freedom here. The Tibetan leader in exile made the statement while speaking to reporters in Himachal Pradesh’s Una.

"We already enjoyed freedom while living in India for over sixty years. In one way, I'm a refugee but I enjoy India's freedom," he was quoted as saying by news agency ANI.

Asked about freedom of Tibet, Dalai Lama said that it’s better to approach the Chinese in this regard and recalled former prime minister Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru's advise.

"Tibetan freedom...since 1974...before that, we appealed to the UN. Pandit Nehru advised that the United Nations cannot do much. Sooner or later, much better to approach the Chinese and talk to them," he said.

"In '74, we decided to not seek independence. Try to remain...while we remain within the People's Republic of China, we should have certain rights for the preservation of our own culture," he added.

The Tibetan leader further said they can teach the Chinese how to practice democracy.

"Since 2001, I completely retired. The elected political leadership carries all these responsibilities. I think eventually we can teach Chinese how to practice democracy," he said.

Earlier this month, the Tibetan government-in-exile had reportedly passed a resolution reaffirming that the successor of Dalai Lama will be chosen by the spiritual leader himself and no nation has locus standi on the issue.

Dalai Lama came to India during the 1959 Tibetan uprising and has since been living in Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh.

The 82-year-old spiritual leader, who received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989, shares his thoughts on several issues pertaining to Tibetans, environment, economics, women's rights, non-violence, interfaith dialogue, along with various topics of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhist teachings.

His supporters operate a government-in-exile in Dharamshala which is often referred to as “Little Lhasa”.

https://www.timesnownews.com/india/article/in-one-way-im-a-refugee-but-i-enjoy-freedom-in-india-says-tibetian-spiritual-leader-dalai-lama/503383

Drolma

Re: Dalai Lama, "I'm a refugee but I enjoy freedom in India"
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 06:42:07 AM »
The Dalai Lama says the Tibetans can teach China how to practise democracy, is this a joke? If the Tibetans are practising democracy, they have to first lift the Dorje Shugden ban. They have to remove the Dorje Shugden follower name list from the CTA website, the degrading statement on Dorje Shugden, etc.

A real democratic country will not discriminate its own people because of their faith. As long as their faith does not cause instability or unrest in the society, it should be allowed and respected.

China has no interest in practising democracy. I think the Dalai Lama has to learn how to follow a communist system if he wants to go back to Tibet. He has to do more to show his sincerity in reconciling with China.

Tenzin K

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 06:56:46 AM »
"Since 2001, I completely retired. The elected political leadership carries all these responsibilities. I think eventually we can teach Chinese how to practice democracy," he said.

This must be a joke! Tibetan leadership wants to teach China democracy???
Does Tibetan leadership show any proven record that their so-called democracy is really democracy???

What kind of democracy is Tibetan leadership practice by imposing ban on Shugden practice? Why there is no religious freedom from them?

Why Tibetan leadership still interfere with other lineages leader's recognition? Why Tibetan leadership do not respect other's cultures and traditions?

Those are just some example and it's very harmful to the Tibetans. What we see here is not a democracy but only discrimination, separation and violence.

If Tibetans really follow democracy system then we will not see so many issues that cause by the Tibetan leadership.

Drolma

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 11:35:10 AM »

Does Tibetan leadership show any proven record that their so-called democracy is really democracy???

What kind of democracy is Tibetan leadership practice by imposing ban on Shugden practice? Why there is no religious freedom from them?

Why Tibetan leadership still interfere with other lineages leader's recognition? Why Tibetan leadership do not respect other's cultures and traditions?

Those are just some example and it's very harmful to the Tibetans. What we see here is not a democracy but only discrimination, separation and violence.

If Tibetans really follow democracy system then we will not see so many issues that cause by the Tibetan leadership.
China does not have to rule the country using the democratic system. If the communist system is not working, how did China become the most powerful country in the world? How can they develop so fast? If democratic system is the best system in the world, how come democratic countries like US and European countries are in trouble now? If democratic system is the perfect system and the CTA has implemented it so well, how come there are still so many conflicts in Tibetan community and Tibetans in India are still stateless?

Tracy

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 09:01:09 AM »

If the CTA really practise democracy, they will not impose the Dorje Shugden ban and discriminate its own people based on their belief. If they practise democracy, the CTA will not disagree with the verdict of the court on the Penpa Tsering case. What kind of democratic system is that?

Tenzin K

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 04:42:56 AM »
Seems like the Tibetan leadership is talking only on their interest and it's inconsistent. They want to go back to Tibet and at the same time enjoy the freedom in India. Dalai Lama needs to realize that when he returns to Tibetan he will be watch and may not have the freedom like what he enjoyed in India before.

China definitely doesn't need Dalai Lama to teach them democracy as Dalai Lama and CTA hasn't practice ones and look at how they discriminate Dorje Shugden practitioners, is that democracy? Even if China has not been a democracy but they have managed their people well and look at where is China now and their achievement. The Tibetan leadership needs to check out what they have done and their success story before telling the world that they can teach other leaders democracy. The Tibetan leadership needs to show by example and not just for the sake of talking and look good.

Tracy

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 06:57:38 AM »
Seems like the Tibetan leadership is talking only on their interest and it's inconsistent. They want to go back to Tibet and at the same time enjoy the freedom in India. Dalai Lama needs to realize that when he returns to Tibetan he will be watch and may not have the freedom like what he enjoyed in India before.

China definitely doesn't need Dalai Lama to teach them democracy as Dalai Lama and CTA hasn't practice ones and look at how they discriminate Dorje Shugden practitioners, is that democracy? Even if China has not been a democracy but they have managed their people well and look at where is China now and their achievement. The Tibetan leadership needs to check out what they have done and their success story before telling the world that they can teach other leaders democracy. The Tibetan leadership needs to show by example and not just for the sake of talking and look good.
I am not sure if Tibetans have more freedom in India than in China. As long as the Tibetans are still refugees, their movements will be restricted, they will not be able to travel to many places. They will not be allowed to purchase any property or own a business, they have to rely on a proxy to have these things. Even though some Tibetans are born and raised in India but they cannot enjoy the benefits and welfare provided by the Indian government unless they decide to become Indian citizen. Their future is actually very uncertain and risky. Maybe the Dalai Lama is saying this to make the Tibetans feel better and hold less grudges on the CTA.