Author Topic: Zong Labrang?  (Read 17231 times)

dsnowlion

Re: Zong Labrang?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 05:23:47 PM »
If one was following the teachings and footsteps of such a teacher, then I expect that the lama would have explained the situation accordingly and his students would accept, understand the situation and it would be far less suffering and dissatisfaction for them.

A teacher who was unhappy and reacting to the current situation would cause his students to think and behave in that same way. Whereas a teacher who practices with patience, tenacity and holds his commitments would have students who do so too. This is not to say that all students will agree with their teacher. But a teacher that focuses on practice as opposed to politics, would inspire his students to do the same.

Discomfort arising from their love for their students and attendants who have to put up with harassment? Yes. But far great discomfort would arise for all the other beings who are not under the protection of the Three Jewels. Even for those who are perpetrating the harassment themselves...

I LIKE THIS!!! Sounds like a Dharma teaching in itself :) 

I've heard and seen videos that Dorje Shugden (oracles) is the only Dharmapala that gives Dharma teachings when in peaceful form! How amazing is that!!! This clearly shows the state of mind of Dorje Shugden is like a Lama and a compassionate enlightened being who time and again have mentioned to us to be patient, to keep up our practice and never to harm, hurt or disrespect anyone. He is the Dharma protector andhis time will come soon, we just have to do our part by keeping with our commitments to our Lama and our practice.

DSFriend

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »
Come to think of it, Zong Rinpoche can choose to leave Gaden Shartse. But he is not despite all that is going on around him. There must be a reason why he remains in Gaden.

Any thoughts?

honeydakini

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 04:19:31 PM »
Come to think of it, Zong Rinpoche can choose to leave Gaden Shartse. But he is not despite all that is going on around him. There must be a reason why he remains in Gaden.

Any thoughts?

I guess that brings up the larger question of why all DS Lamas in the monastery don't just get up and leave, and join Shar Gaden (or even start up their own DS institutions, such as Gangchen Rinpoche etc). Especially young lamas like Zong Rinpoche who speak English too and would be able to gain many students and support in the West.

I guess that they must their own specific reasons for staying in the monasteries for now - it could be that the timing for them individually is not right yet, or that leaving Gaden at this time would have negative repercussions for them (or even their teachers or students). Tulkus especially must have a fair deal of responsibilities that they have to manage and balance within the monastery itself that would not be as easy to "up and leave" behind.

Perhaps it is also that Zong Rinpoche is still very young and is still receiving teachings or initiations from teachers within Gaden - this may be necessary for when he starts going out to teach and he will need to have those initiations / retreats etc to pass on to more students in the future, so it is more beneficial at this time if he continues to stay in the monastery.

This is all mere conjecturing on my part though. I really cannot tell what divine forces are at work here or the wise decisions of the enlightened minds. Would be interested to know what others think though? :)

DharmaDefender

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »

Any thoughts?

I guess that brings up the larger question of why all DS Lamas in the monastery don't just get up and leave, and join Shar Gaden (or even start up their own DS institutions, such as Gangchen Rinpoche etc). Especially young lamas like Zong Rinpoche who speak English too and would be able to gain many students and support in the West.

I guess that they must their own specific reasons for staying in the monasteries for now - it could be that the timing for them individually is not right yet, or that leaving Gaden at this time would have negative repercussions for them (or even their teachers or students). Tulkus especially must have a fair deal of responsibilities that they have to manage and balance within the monastery itself that would not be as easy to "up and leave" behind.

Perhaps it is also that Zong Rinpoche is still very young and is still receiving teachings or initiations from teachers within Gaden - this may be necessary for when he starts going out to teach and he will need to have those initiations / retreats etc to pass on to more students in the future, so it is more beneficial at this time if he continues to stay in the monastery.

This is all mere conjecturing on my part though. I really cannot tell what divine forces are at work here or the wise decisions of the enlightened minds. Would be interested to know what others think though? :)

Thank you everyone for your answers regarding the discomfort, and to honeydakini for rephrasing duldzin's response so clearly "Yes, there are many who are suffering because of the ban, but like Dulzin says, there are many, many, many more who are suffering, full stop."...otherwise why else does one practise?

I think you're right, and I'd like to add that those negative repercussions also extend to Buddhism in general - for example (and I know not everyone will agree with this example), the Gaden Tripa may have chosen to remain relatively silent whilst in office, to protect the Gelugpa image by not forcing the Dalai Lama to remove him from office.

I'd also like to add that the timing is perhaps based on the students and practitioners. The lamas may be ready to leave their monasteries to start up new ones, and/or go full force and kick down the doors and take down the ban...but are we?