Author Topic: Dalai Lama & Larry King:  (Read 8643 times)

godi

Dalai Lama & Larry King:
« on: February 23, 2010, 11:40:14 PM »
From http://www.tonic.com/article/dalai-lama-meets-obama-larry-king/

Face-to-face it was, as was his on-camera meeting on "Larry King Live," where he spoke candidly about Tibetan relations with China. "Actually, we are not seeking independence," he said to King. "We complain the present policy in Tibet. It is actually very much damaging about Tibetan religious freedom and cultural heritage.... But other hand, we also do not want separation from China because Tibet, landlocked country, materially backward. Every Tibetan want modernize Tibet. So for that reason remain within the People's Republic of China."[/color]

What is this man fighting for? No more "Free tibet"? Can all the "free tibet groups" go home and relax?

a friend

Re: Dalai Lama & Larry King:
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:25:06 AM »
Yes, they can.
They should´ve gone home and relax in 1988, before even the reception of the Nobel Prize. The DL gave up Tibetan independence and proclaimed its belonging to China in 1988, in Strasbourg, France, seat of the European Parliament.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 04:27:49 PM »
From http://www.tonic.com/article/dalai-lama-meets-obama-larry-king/

Face-to-face it was, as was his on-camera meeting on "Larry King Live," where he spoke candidly about Tibetan relations with China. "Actually, we are not seeking independence," he said to King. "We complain the present policy in Tibet. It is actually very much damaging about Tibetan religious freedom and cultural heritage.... But other hand, we also do not want separation from China because Tibet, landlocked country, materially backward. Every Tibetan want modernize Tibet. So for that reason remain within the People's Republic of China."[/color]

What is this man fighting for? No more "Free tibet"? Can all the "free tibet groups" go home and relax?

The Dalai Lama says specifically here - we're not seeking independence.
http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=266

So yes, all the free tibet people can go home and have a cup of tea!

For me, who is someone not interested in politics and just wants to learn Buddhism and do the practices my Guru has given me, Buddhism belongs to the world. It doesn't belong to India or Tibet or China, no matter how people wish to associate the religion with a particular country. Since the Dalai Lama left Tibet, Buddhism has spread far and wide in the West so perhaps i have China to thank for this, for if they had not created the circumstances for the Dalai Lama to leave Tibet, many Westerners would not have heard about Buddhism as much or as quickly as they have.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

honeydakini

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 05:40:34 PM »
I had the extreme good fortune to meet some of the monks from one of the monasteries in India (Gaden and Drepung). I asked them what it was like to lose their country. We frequently hear all the uproar, and the politics and even the anger, resentment, hatred and great pain suffered by so many over these few decades so it came as somewhat of a shock to me to hear them speak very calmly about it. Most of them told me that it is okay, it was a collective karma that Tibetans had to suffer, but that the monasteries in India are doing just fine and are still practising the way they always did.

I have to agree with wisdom being there - Buddhism belongs to the world. And the monks that I met prove that. They are not attached to where they are or to nationalistic pride or whatever. Yes, they are Tibetan now, but they may not be tibetan again in their next life. Those of us who are not Tibetan now may be reborn back as Tibetans in our next life, right in the heat of all the Tibetan politics. It doesn't matter if we want to practise Dharma - there is crap and problems wherever we are born into, every country has its own nightmare!!

To those monks, a real home is wherever they can practise Dharma, Tibetan or not. And that, I think is the truest and most beautiful reflection of a tibet that we a love and would like to remember / be remembered by. Because when we meet these people and talk to them you think "this is what it means to be Tibetan, to be Buddhist". Ironically, by them not grasping onto their "tibetan-ness" I think of Tibetans as all the greater and respect tibet all the more.

Geronimo

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 06:38:10 PM »
 The only possible end for the Dalai Lama is to lift a rock but drop it on his own toe.

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 09:21:17 AM »

Honeydakini,

Very well said. I like your post very much and it shows clear dharma thinking.

tk

vinayaholder

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 02:05:47 PM »
The only possible end for the Dalai Lama is to lift a rock but drop it on his own toe.

Seems to be what he is doing now with the ban. Lots of backlash and publicity for Dalai Lama and Dorje Shugden both.

Recently I read the mission statement of this website again:
"This website, an ongoing work in progress, is dedicated to the glorification and deeper appreciation of the name and holy work of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, who by peaceful, increasing, subjugating and wrathful means spreads in this world the general and profound teachings of the Buddhadharma that can dispel all suffering and its causes. We believe that what may sound contradictory today, will be revealed as skilful means in the future."

mika

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 06:55:24 PM »
wow... there is so much politics about this.
it's kinda weird coz I never even met a tibetan in my life and all the people i met who are buddhists are white people living in london!

i am from japan and heck, my whole family hates the chinese too . it's like you know what, get over it. the war was over like so long ago. What are you doing with your life NOW?!

You can sit there and talk about how bad bad bad the chinese are or you can do something to make your life happier.

like i said in another post, i came across tibetan buddhism in a very not-tibetan place - in the lake district in england! all the monks and nuns there are white people but they are practising the old traditions, just in a modern style. I think that's what real buddhism is because it's a way of life not a country! they make dharma real and alive because they are practising it, no matter where they are. there were even americans and europeans there who moved there to live in the dharma centre and practice. that's really nice.

i didn't know there was so much politics between tibet and china until after i visited the centre. I mean, i knew there was conflict but i didn't know it was still going on and on on (wow i'm naive, i know!). a lot of people i talked to around that time about tibetan buddhism started talking about the politics. i was like wow, i'm getting outta here. i just like all the pretty statues and the nice meditation practices and the prayers and the altars and all the nice sangha. i wish people would talk about that more cos that's what turns people on!

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:05:03 PM »
HI Mika

Glad you found the forum here! Don't worry about the politics.. i think there are politics everywhere but it's up to us to rise above it. i know you're new and this all will be quite confusing - especially when Buddhism is supposed to be all goodness and light. We are supposed to simply float along on lotuses but there seems to be quite a lot of conflict in this forum - quite contrary to the mission statement of the website. Let's not look at each other as Tibetan/ Chinese/ Japanese/ English/ Tibetan Buddhist/ Theravadan/ Gelugpa/ Nyingma/ Sakya/ Kagyu/etc and just as sentient beings. Take off the labels and look at the essence. As a Dorje Shugden practitioner in London, i feel it's not about whether i am Tibetan or Chinese - as if only these two races/cultures can practice shugden.

Just take a flying leap out of the box and enjoy the view!! Catch you around the forum x
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DharmaDefender

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:34:26 PM »
it's kinda weird coz I never even met a tibetan in my life and all the people i met who are buddhists are white people living in london!

i am from japan and heck, my whole family hates the chinese too . it's like you know what, get over it. the war was over like so long ago. What are you doing with your life NOW?!

You can sit there and talk about how bad bad bad the chinese are or you can do something to make your life happier.

You have a point. Everything else is an excuse for you to not change. It's funny that people enjoy wallowing in self-pity and depression, finding reasons for why things haven't worked out the way they want it to work out.

like i said in another post, i came across tibetan buddhism in a very not-tibetan place - in the lake district in england! all the monks and nuns there are white people but they are practising the old traditions, just in a modern style. I think that's what real buddhism is because it's a way of life not a country! they make dharma real and alive because they are practising it, no matter where they are. there were even americans and europeans there who moved there to live in the dharma centre and practice. that's really nice.

Hehehe even their Maitreya has quite a Caucasian look! :) the teachings and focus of the teachings do change over time according to the affinity and merit of the people receiving them; that's what I like about Buddhism because it always has a way of touching the people at the right time. It's nice to go to the Manjushri Kadampa Centre because their 'interpretation' of dharma fits in with modern day thinking, and therefore appeals to many people. That appeal leads people to practise, which leads them to seeing benefits in their life...whether or not it's ultimately benefits, or just temporary like they reconsider the next time they're about to get into a pub fight!

i didn't know there was so much politics between tibet and china until after i visited the centre. I mean, i knew there was conflict but i didn't know it was still going on and on on (wow i'm naive, i know!). a lot of people i talked to around that time about tibetan buddhism started talking about the politics. i was like wow, i'm getting outta here. i just like all the pretty statues and the nice meditation practices and the prayers and the altars and all the nice sangha. i wish people would talk about that more cos that's what turns people on!

Perhaps it should've stayed that way, not knowing the politics. After all, it doesn't really matter once you're dead.

DSFriend

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 10:07:57 PM »

Dear Mika
I can certainly relate to you. I do secretly wisshhhh that I'm supported by the Chinese. Not in this lifetime!
I'm also quite new to this forum. This forum is quite different from the few i've visited is that the information is kept fresh and the forum is very active, very conducive for learning and sharpening our debate skills (not that i have much at all)
Best wishes
Dk