Author Topic: Kelsang Rabten responds to Shar Gaden ex-monk speaking on Trijang Rinpoche  (Read 31436 times)

psylotripitaka

THE MEANING OF CONTROVERSY

Dear Friends,

Throughout the history of Buddhism, there has been controversy, especially in Tibet. Welcome to your own samsara produced through mistaken discrimination of reality. There are many things that have happened in Tibetan Buddhism, said or done or even written in ritual texts by lineage Gurus that to our ordinary appearance and limited wisdom seem to contradict Buddhas teachings. Murder, slander, competition for fame and resources and so on into the present list of controversies; these thing have the power to destroy our faith and even our practice altogether, and have done so for many people in our world.

I would like to share how I cope with controversy in the Buddhist community with a hope it will help alleviate the pain or confusion we may feel. Rather than elaborating on all the details, we need to take the power back by focusing on the essential meaning of the appearance.

So, rather than run myself in circles trying to figure out why this and why that or lose faith, I have concluded that:

1) the essence of life is to accomplish realizations

2) the only reason difficulties and controversies happen, is for us to use these as fuel to deepen out realizations.

This is from the lojong instructions. In every situation in life we are given a choice to either follow the boring ordinary path of deluded view that is worthless, or the extraordinary path of Buddhist view that is priceless.

Although conventions are complex and we may involve ourself in relevant activities, if we forget the meaning of our life  in our activities, we are missing the point of having encountered the Dharma. I know we each have our own capacity, but don't let that knowledge become an excuse to let your monkey mind run wild with nonsense! Seize the essence of your life, it is about to extinguish! Procrastination is the thief of time!

No matter what controversies appear or how the Gurus act, may Je Tsongkhapa's blessings erupt in your heart with powerful gentle precision. THAT is the meaning of controversy!

psylotripitaka

One of my Teachers is Dorjechang Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche. Because I value Dharma realizations, I can honestly say I could care less whether or not he has a tulku title. He has transmitted holy Dharma for me to permanently end samsara. Just as Je Tsongkhapa said that it was more important for people to be taught wisdom than to be shown fancy miracles, so it is more important for people to develop realizations than it is to have teachers we only validate through a tulku title. There are many many tulkus in our world who do not have the public title. It may have been necessary in the culture of Tibet, but it is no longer necessary.

So what's the big deal here? If I were a close heart disciple of my root Guru and knew that someone was acquiring status and wealth through using the tulku title of my root Guru, but that they weren't the incarnation of my Guru, I would make some effort to ask them to stop using my Gurus' legacy this way. In that sense, certainly you can understand why Geshe-la would finally speak openly and take some action.

Likewise, if I knew that I wasn't the tulku, and if I was genuinely beyond worldly concern, I would declare it publicly, give up the title, and simply continue to help others with my Dharma activities knowing the title is irrelevant. If I knew I was the tulku, I would have a private meeting with my accuser to discuss it, and still give up the title knowing what really matters is not fancy titles but the Dharma. The Dharma, people gaining realizations; and like Langri Tangpa and Marpa Lotsaw, I would continuously use the gifts I receive from disciples and benefactors to benefit others.

If Trijang Choktrul has received the transmissions, practiced well, done the necessary retreats, and been given permission to transmit, that is sufficient is it not? To a mind focused on realizations, the title of your Guru doesn't matter. It's his transmission and your practice that are the most important. Mahasiddha Tilopa and Jetsun Milarepa were dirty wandering beggars and they did just fine transmitting the lineage. If nowadays we think a tulku title is necessary to qualify our Guru, we have not studied and meditated in the lamrim instructions on Guru Devotion, wherein we learn it is our own view of 'the Guru is Buddha' that makes them function as a Buddha for us. That decision is essential, and having the other qualifications such as transmissions are important. 'Title' is not.

psylotripitaka

I want to clarify that I haven't shared my thoughts to say he should or should not use the title 'tulku', but merely to share some perspectives that had been on my mind.

What I've been trying to drive home really is that our faith is important, and that it should be built on the foundation of contemplating the lamrim instructions regarding Guru Devotion rather than on a foundation of titles or positions. If we view Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche as a Buddha, or as the Yidam, that is more to the point of Guru devotion than paying too much attention to a title such as 'tulku'. If we are resting on the foundation of pure view, we will not care if our Guru has a special title or not, or whether or not they are part of an incarnation lineage, because our view is that they are a Buddha.

Likewise, if in our practice we have actually tasted the peace of virtuous minds, now is the time to hold those minds. Challenging situations are produced to test our ability to react by going deeper into our virtuous minds. If you are not passing the test, I recommend taking a break from the challenging information to spend time in formal meditation so that you will have some power and insight to draw upon when you encounter the information again.

I pray for harmony and especially for practitioners to have the power to transform adverse conditions into virtuous inner paths of profound realization.

Erstvollzug

• Email
You are absolutely right. Whether the person is a tulku or not does not matter. As long as he/she has done the necessaries to make them qualified to transmit the teachings. No one is making a big deal of the tulku issue except NKT/ISBC. They should stop doing this and make more harmony.

One of my Teachers is Dorjechang Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche. Because I value Dharma realizations, I can honestly say I could care less whether or not he has a tulku title. He has transmitted holy Dharma for me to permanently end samsara. Just as Je Tsongkhapa said that it was more important for people to be taught wisdom than to be shown fancy miracles, so it is more important for people to develop realizations than it is to have teachers we only validate through a tulku title. There are many many tulkus in our world who do not have the public title. It may have been necessary in the culture of Tibet, but it is no longer necessary.

So what's the big deal here? If I were a close heart disciple of my root Guru and knew that someone was acquiring status and wealth through using the tulku title of my root Guru, but that they weren't the incarnation of my Guru, I would make some effort to ask them to stop using my Gurus' legacy this way. In that sense, certainly you can understand why Geshe-la would finally speak openly and take some action.

Likewise, if I knew that I wasn't the tulku, and if I was genuinely beyond worldly concern, I would declare it publicly, give up the title, and simply continue to help others with my Dharma activities knowing the title is irrelevant. If I knew I was the tulku, I would have a private meeting with my accuser to discuss it, and still give up the title knowing what really matters is not fancy titles but the Dharma. The Dharma, people gaining realizations; and like Langri Tangpa and Marpa Lotsaw, I would continuously use the gifts I receive from disciples and benefactors to benefit others.

If Trijang Choktrul has received the transmissions, practiced well, done the necessary retreats, and been given permission to transmit, that is sufficient is it not? To a mind focused on realizations, the title of your Guru doesn't matter. It's his transmission and your practice that are the most important. Mahasiddha Tilopa and Jetsun Milarepa were dirty wandering beggars and they did just fine transmitting the lineage. If nowadays we think a tulku title is necessary to qualify our Guru, we have not studied and meditated in the lamrim instructions on Guru Devotion, wherein we learn it is our own view of 'the Guru is Buddha' that makes them function as a Buddha for us. That decision is essential, and having the other qualifications such as transmissions are important. 'Title' is not.

Erstvollzug

• Email
I saw this on FB and twitter. It was a debate between NKT's Kelsang Pagpa and another person. I found the debate very applicable here:

From Kelsang Pagpa of NKT:
- The Dalai Lama recognised him - isn't that suspect enough?
- The Dalai Lama is false anyway, so what does his appointing or recognising anyone mean anyway? Nothing.
- The tulku system is causing so many problems and cannot be trusted.
- That's debatable because they keep getting it wrong! The Dalai Lama is a fake and so is Trijang - how many others? Better to rely on Dharma.
- People should be respected for their spiritual achievements not their 'big name' and past incarnation achievements. It's too unreliable.
- Yes, he (Geshe Kelsang Gyatso) knew what he was doing and had no political motives. It's a different matter when you 'recognise' a spiritual leader.

Reply to Kelsang Pagpa

1. Zong Rinpoche and Zemey Rinpoche recognizing Trijang Rinpoche HAD NO POLITICAL MOTIVES. They have the ability and attainments to recognize. They have recognize many other incarnations also.

2. It is unreliable to you Pagpa because you are a ordinary person. But it may not be unreliable to those who are highly attained. There are people who are highly attained and to them they can make reliable choices. Choices they recognize may grow up to perform a dharma function that does not fit YOUR world view, but that does not mean it is wrong. Not everything has to fit your world view so you should mind your own business. People can choose whoever they want as their teacher. Many of the Mahasiddhas were lay people-so what!

3. Zong Rinpoche and Zemey Rinpoche recognizing Trijang Rinpoche HAD NO POLITICAL MOTIVES. They have the ability and attainments to recognize. They have recognize many other incarnations also.

It is unreliable to you Pagpa because you are a ordinary person. But it may not be unreliable to those who are highly attained. There are people who are highly attained and to them they can make reliable choices. Choices they recognize may grow up to perform a dharma function that does not fit YOUR world view, but that does not mean it is wrong. Not everything has to fit your world view so you should mind your own business. People can choose whoever they want as their teacher. Many of the Mahasiddhas were lay people-so what!
You work and act and do according to your world view and keep quiet about other people's choices. Religious Freedom!

4. Just because Geshe Kelsang says yes or not does not mean the whole world of Tibetan Buddhist followers have to follow. Personally I do not follow Geshe Kelsang nor do I trust his decisions. That is my choice. Similarily, I do not need to run around protesting against Geshe Kelsang nor speak negatively against him. Nor do I need to force my views/traditions/path onto him and his followers. It is the same with him. Geshe Kelsang and NKT/ISBC should not force your views/paths/traditions onto others. If you don't like a particular lama/tradition or methodology, that is your choice. But keep quiet about it. Do you agree with the pope, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Jehovahs, Mormons, Hinduism and all their traditions, teachers and methods? If you don't, then why don't you protest against all of them? Too much? That's right. Too much. We don't go through life fighting all the spiritual traditions and people we don't like. You should just keep quiet and practice your own path and prove it's power by your attainments.

Are you attained Pagpa? Is anyone in NKT among the students attained? Realized or advanced in their practice? If they are great. If they are not, then get to it. Better to go and practice instead of protesting against all the religious traditions/practices and path you don't agree with. You don't like Dalai Lama, then fine. Don't attend his talks and don't invite him to your centre. You don't like Trijang Rinpoche, same thing. But there are people who like them and their teachings and that is their right and their business. You do not need to get involved with other people's affairs. If you think following Trijang Choktrul is wrong, fine. You don't follow, but don't tell others not to follow as it's not your centre, not your business and not your decision. It is none of your business. It is one thing to protest and make a huge scene by protesting against the Dalai Lama for religious freedom but it is another for you, NKT, ISBC and Geshe Kelsang to dictate what is religion to others. It is wrong for you to dictate what path, teacher and tradition anyone wishes to follow. Religious freedom goes both ways!

5. It is unreliable to you Pagpa because you are a ordinary person. But it may not be unreliable to those who are highly attained. There are people who are highly attained and to them they can make reliable choices. Choices they recognize may grow up to perform a dharma function that does not fit YOUR world view, but that does not mean it is wrong. Not everything has to fit your world view so you should mind your own business. People can choose whoever they want as their teacher. Many of the Mahasiddhas were lay people-so what!

You work and act and do according to your world view and keep quiet about other people's choices. Religious Freedom!

6. I don't agree with Geshe Kelsang. I do not think he is attained. I am glad he will have no incarnation to be recognized when he is passes away. I will never attend his teachings nor invite him to any centre. I have and wish no affiliations with him. But I will not tell people not to attend his talks or be involved with NKT or ISBC. That is their choice. Each centre has a committee and students.They decide for their OWN CENTRE what teacher, what tradition (if any) and what practices they wish to follow. It is not for NKT/ISBC to tell other centres who they can follow and not follow. We do not need your endorsement to follow whatever teacher we like as that is our choice. If people want to follow Trijang Choktrul, that is their choice and the choice of their committee be it wrong or right in your eyes. ISBC/NKT do not rule the roost as the saying goes. You mind your own business. No one except yourselves need to listen to your diktats. The rest of us have our own wishes, opinions and direction. So keep out of it.

I want to clarify that I haven't shared my thoughts to say he should or should not use the title 'tulku', but merely to share some perspectives that had been on my mind.

What I've been trying to drive home really is that our faith is important, and that it should be built on the foundation of contemplating the lamrim instructions regarding Guru Devotion rather than on a foundation of titles or positions. If we view Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche as a Buddha, or as the Yidam, that is more to the point of Guru devotion than paying too much attention to a title such as 'tulku'. If we are resting on the foundation of pure view, we will not care if our Guru has a special title or not, or whether or not they are part of an incarnation lineage, because our view is that they are a Buddha.

Likewise, if in our practice we have actually tasted the peace of virtuous minds, now is the time to hold those minds. Challenging situations are produced to test our ability to react by going deeper into our virtuous minds. If you are not passing the test, I recommend taking a break from the challenging information to spend time in formal meditation so that you will have some power and insight to draw upon when you encounter the information again.

I pray for harmony and especially for practitioners to have the power to transform adverse conditions into virtuous inner paths of profound realization.

michaela

I agree with what Erstvollzug said. Kelsang Pagpa and NKT may not agree with the Dalai Lama's stand on Dorje Shugden issue and use that as a basis of not respecting his recognition of Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche as the reincarnation of the late Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche. However, Kelsang Pagpa and friends should remember that Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche was also recognized by other prominent Dorje Shugden Lamas such as Zemey Rinpoche and Zong Rinpoche. 

Geshe Kelsang Gyatso himself is known to have recognized the reincarnation of his own mother. Therefore, recognition of one's incarnation is not something new within Buddhism and NKT.

Just because Geshe Kelsang Gyatso suddenly does not agree with Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche's incarnation status (after many years of silence), it does not invalidate the previous recognition of Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche. Just like when the Dalai Lama suddenly changed his stance that Dorje Shugden is a spirit after practicing this protector deity for many years, it does not mean that Dorje Shugden is a spirit. I am sure Kelsang Pagpa and other NKT members can relate to this point.

Although the recognition would help to alleviate the status, at the end of the day, Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche would realise his potentials to benefit many beings. What we can do as ordinary practitioners is to not create further obstacles for this to happen.

ShugdenProtector

This Kelsang Pagpa is such a hypocrite... he and the whole ISBC is really becoming a huge pot of negative KARMA collection centre!

Look at what I discovered from a friend's Twitter >>>

Seriously who is he to judge since he is not attained and ordinary and I guess will never be attained according to NKT's standards! So might as well just shut the big gap and just do their practice quietly, no?

I don't their hypocrisy, they ask the anti-Shugden people to GIVE RELIGIOUS FREEDOM yet they DON'T GIVE IT TO OTHERS? How IRONIC!

Pagpa should really just stuff himself stay quiet, NKT really paint a horrible image of their entire centre and bring Buddhism down. Now they are really segregating and alienating themselves from the whole Buddhist world and making whatever CTA says REAL! The more they judge and condemn others, the more they are becoming a cult!

ShugdenProtector

Anyway here are some nice quotes I found floating around Twitter which everyone and anyone can feel free to use to support one of our great lineage masters ... H.H. Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche.

Long live His Holiness Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche. Perhaps this is all playing out well for all of us Shugdenpas as we become stronger and even more united than ever.

May Geshe Kelsang Gyatso be well and at peace. Whatever he is doing, is making our devotion to HH Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche even stronger, we should thank him! :) :) :)

Thank you!

Pema8

Anyway here are some nice quotes I found floating around Twitter which everyone and anyone can feel free to use to support one of our great lineage masters ... H.H. Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche.

Long live His Holiness Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche. Perhaps this is all playing out well for all of us Shugdenpas as we become stronger and even more united than ever.

May Geshe Kelsang Gyatso be well and at peace. Whatever he is doing, is making our devotion to HH Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche even stronger, we should thank him! :) :) :)

Thank you!

Thank you for these pictures!

For sure we will not be influenced by people who take anything, even a typing mistake for putting down HH Trijang Rinpoche.

Sorry to say but this is only showing their delusions, to start attacks against highly attained lamas, what a shame.

We need Buddhism to grow stronger as people need it so much in these degenerate times. May we all be close to the holy Dharma and our holy Gurus always.

Matibhadra

There is zero evidence that the demeaning and defamatory statements against the current Trijang and Gonsar Rinpoches originated from, or are in any way endorsed by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.

What is obvious, however, is that some greedy NKT bureaucrats, wishing to bolster their corporate brand, and to ensure its relevance in the absence of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, are making a crude attempt to present themselves as the sole heirs and representatives of both Tsongkhapa and the previous Trijang Rinpoche.

This need is all the more felt by such bureaucrats, since an incarnation of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is not supposed to be found. Indeed, how to avoid the disintegration of such a huge organization as the NKT without Geshe Kelsang Gyatso's leadership, and without his reincarnation to continue his work?

Of course, Geshe-la's worth students could do the job, but as it often happens the best students are the worse politicians, and surely not those running the affairs of NKT, as evidenced by the sordid defamatory campaign now endeavored against the current Trijang and Gonsar Rinpoches by NKT politicians.

Therefore, the strategy was devised by the corporate bureaucrats running NKT of hijacking the brand names “Tsongkhapa” and “Trijang Rinpoche”, so that they are associated with “NKT” and “ISBC” to the absolute exclusion of any other of their followers, whence the need to defame and thoroughly degrade them.

Just like the Jewish “god” could not justify its own evil and irrelevance except through the demonization of wisdom, as represented by the serpent, the greedy NKT bureaucrats realize their utter irrelevance, and see the defamation of others as their only means of survival .

And just like the Jewish “god” has to be the only one and does not accept the competition of any other gods, the greedy NKT bureaucrats sell the story that they and only they, to the exclusion of anyone else, represent Tsongkhapa and the previous Trijang Rinpoche, whence again the need to defame the perceived competition.

What we are seeing therefore is the ugliest, most grotesque pattern of religious manipulative discourse, so typical of barbaric, monomaniac Abrahamic ideologies, creeping into Buddhism, and specifically into “Shugden” branded Buddhism.

Matibhadra

In other words, while Geshe Kelsang Gyatso and his incomparable teachings and inspiration will be forever alive, the previously glorious NKT, now ruled by a bunch of greedy theocratical mafiosi, became just a stinking corpse in advanced state if decomposition.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
It seems things are getting more serious now. I just saw this. I wonder what NKT/ ISBC has up the sleeve?

Seems like some NKT members who have been quiet are now are speaking up about this. Why is NKT/ ISBC doing this - still no has has or has given the answer. It cannot be that Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is just adamant that Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche is fake. Come on, Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche was in the monastery for years, it cannot be that he is fake, and non of the high lamas said anything  ::) Geshe Kelsang Gyatso should know, he was in the monastery system.

So Kyabje Zong Rinpoche was wrong, Zemey Rinpoche was wrong, His Holiness Ganden Trisur Lundgrik Namgyal Rinpoche was wrong, Dorje Shugden was wrong, Lama Gangchen is wrong, Gonsar Rinpoche is wrong...and only the Kelsangs (NKT) are correct about whether Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche is real or not? In essence, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is also accusing Zong Rinpoche and Dorje Shugden to be incompetent or dishonest since Zong Rinpoche and Dorje Shugden were significantly involved in the recognition of Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche.

We have seen a similar kind of derogation before when the Dalai Lama and his corrupt politicians accused Dorje Shugden of being a malicious spirit and harmful to the Dalai Lama. Again it was one-sided, baseless and vicious. Ironically then, it was the Kelsangs who accused the 'fake' Dalai Lama of lying and now they accuse Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche of being fake.

The Kelsangs seems to spend all their time working out who is real and who isn't instead of focussing on the study and practice of the five great subjects. I think it would serve the NKT better if they worked out amongst themselves who is really practicing Dharma and who isn't. I cannot recall ever coming across a single passage in the Buddha's teachings that advocates creating schism and insulting Dharma teachers to be the path to enlightenment.

The NKT says that the tulku system is unreliable and corrupt, as if a non-tulku system is free of exploitation. The simple fact is samsara is corrupt and full of falsities and deceits. However, it is interesting that 600 years after Lama Tsongkhapa lived, someone like Geshe Kelsang Gyatso should choose to study under a system preserved and administered by tulkus and lamas says that the system has been effective despite not being foolproof. Geshe Kelsang Gyatse learned from a root guru who was a tulku and he benefited from a system that the NKT today says doesn't work. It worked fine for countless illustrious teachers and practitioners and produced innumerable attained scholars. But suddenly because the NKT is not built to follow the system and must invent its own, there is now a need to discredit it lest is shows the NKT to be odd.

Whether Trijang Choktrul is real or not is no concern of the NKT. By this poor showing of ordinary Kelsangs attacking senior monks and practitioners, I would say the NKT has much to be concerned about. If the Lama system is not beneficial to the NKT, don't follow it.

The biggest joke is someone like Kelsang Pagpa claiming Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche is not real. Wow!

Matibhadra

In essence, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is also accusing Zong Rinpoche and Dorje Shugden to be incompetent or dishonest since Zong Rinpoche and Dorje Shugden were significantly involved in the recognition of Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche

Do you have any hard evidence that the NKT hate propaganda originates from, or is in any way supported by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso? if you do, please show it to the rest of us, but if you don't please apologize and stop defaming the great teacher and propagating your own hate speech, by the way unsuitable to your condition of moderator of this website.

Matibhadra

The funny thing here is that while there is plenty of hard evidence that the evil dalie lame is the one personally waging war against Shugdenpas, many people here try to save his face and blame the “CTA”, but while there is an absolute lack of evidence that Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is the one behind NKT's hate propaganda, people such as Vajratruth rush to blame him personally.

This hypocritical double standards shows that opportunistic politicians abound not only in CTA or NKT, but on this website as well, even as “moderators”.

Matibhadra

And what such opportunistic politicians ultimately want? To be cozy with the evil criminal dalie, thus always trying to save his face, and as the opportunity shows, to earn cookie points in Dharamsala defaming the evil dalie's perceived arch-nemesis, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. What a dishonorability, what a shame!