Author Topic: The Dalai Lama: Aung San Suu Kyi must speak out on behalf of Myanmar’s persecute  (Read 3170 times)

DharmaSpace

The Dalai Lama, leader of the Tibetan Buddhist faith, gave an interview to The Australian on May 28. In it, he appeals to Myanmar’s world-famous Nobel Peace Prize laureate and democracy advocate Aung San Suu Kyi to speak out against a horrific violation of human rights rippling outward from her country: the unceasing persecution of the Rohingya, a predominantly Muslim minority group.
The Rohingya are a stateless people residing in western Myanmar, along the country’s border with Bangladesh. Though they have lived in the area for centuries, the Rohingya are considered illegal immigrants by the Myanmar government, and are subsequently denied basic rights. Many have been corralled into concentration camps where access to food, clean water, healthcare, and employment is scarce.
The Rohingya have garnered global attention of late, as thousands of refugees flood into neighboring Bangladesh. Others have taken to the sea, risking a perilous ocean voyage in order to seek safe haven in other parts of Southeast Asia. The crisis has reached an “alarming level,” Thailand’s foreign minister said on May 29.

Despite international outcry, Myanmar’s most visible freedom fighter remains silent. “It’s very sad. In the Burmese case I hope Aung San Suu Kyi, as a Nobel laureate, can do something,” the Dalai Lama told The Australian. “I met her two times, first in London and then the Czech Republ­ic. I mentioned about this problem and she told me she found some difficulties, that things were not simple but very complicated.”
“But in spite of that I feel she can do something,” he added.
Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa has also expressed concerns over her silence. In contrast, Nobel laureates Jose Ramos-Horta, the former president of East Timor, and Iranian human-rights activist Shirin Ebadi, have taken up the cause. George Soros, himself a one-time refugee from Nazi-occupied Hungary, said he observed “alarming parallels” between the persecution Europe’s Jews during World War II and the that of the Rohingya today.
But Aung San Suu Kyi’s supporters say the “Iron Lotus” is simply biding her time. With a general election just around the corner, Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy is poised to take a considerable number of seats in Myanmar’s legislature. Given how widespread anti-Rohingya sentiments are among the voting population, it’s possible she is sidestepping the issue for the moment to maintain electability. Some speculate she will address persecution of the Rohingya in the event her party wins a majority.
However, Myanmar’s current constitution forbids her from taking the office of president. The country’s parliamentary speaker, Shwe Mann, has effectively ruled out the possibility of a constitutional referendum prior to 2015 elections. What’s more, Suu Kyi has openly denied any presidential ambitions: “Being president is not my dream,” she said in Jan. 2015, according to the BBC. (Though many remain skeptical.) These realities render her silence on the Rohingya issue quite puzzling, and not a little bit troubling.
We welcome your comments at [email protected].

http://qz.com/415397/the-dalai-lama-aung-san-suu-kyi-must-speak-out-on-behalf-of-myanmars-persecuted-rohingya/

I wonder if the Nobel Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi will say something about the ban and discrimination of Dorje Shugden practitioners by the CTA and the Dalai Lama.

Matibhadra

The evil dalie is just performing the role ascribed to him by his employer, the financial terrorist George Soros, in accordance to the latter's constant effort to bring chaos and civil wars to different countries, from Ukraine to Georgia to Russia to Bulgaria to China to Malaysa to Thailand to Myanmar.

This is the bigger and ugly picture in a dirty corner of which appears a minuscule character, the evil dalie.

Dondrup Shugden

As the Dalai Lama speaks more on the international stage on human rights and His urging leaders to take action, it seem more and more hypocritical.

It is like seeing a small dirt in others and not see the big splash of dirt on oneself.

Yes it would be interesting for Aung San Suu Kyi to ask Dalai Lama to stop discrimination against Shugdenpas and lift the ban.

At least for a bigger picture, Aung San Suu Kyi and her group aims for political ''wins''. At least not being hypocritical.