Author Topic: Taking Trance vs Channeling... is there a difference?  (Read 5167 times)

Positive Change

Taking Trance vs Channeling... is there a difference?
« on: November 16, 2011, 08:35:33 AM »
I was looking through some of the oracle videos available on this website and some thoughts came to my mind. Is there a difference between taking trance and channeling?

I always thought that when taking trance, the oracle's consciousness "leaves" and is "taken over" by the deity and thus there is no recollection of what transpired (like a black out) whilst when channeling, the consciousness of the oracle is still existent but "subdued", hence there is some recollection from what transpired.

Am I right to assume the above or am I completely off the mark. I was even told that both taking trance and channeling are one and the same and it is just different words used to describe the same.

Can someone enlighten me on this please?

DharmaDefender

Re: Taking Trance vs Channeling... is there a difference?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:55:20 AM »
Hey positive change, personally I dont know much. I had a quick look up on the Interweb and noticed the following definitions which might prove quite useful to you (although having said that they arent specific to Tibetan Buddhism):

Trance is the ability to communicate with, and mainly to receive from, other entities, incarnate and discarnate, and may sometimes be independent of time; it is usually divided into deep trance (obliterative and so dangerous, where the operative abdicates the throne, quite common) and light trance (a high or even total degree of awareness and thus safer for the practitioner, and extremely rare when well-done).

and then theres also

The other incarnation of non-physical mediumship is a form of channeling in which the channeler goes into a trance, or "leaves their body". He or she becomes "possessed" by a specific spirit (spirit possession), who then talks through them.[18] In the trance, the medium enters a cataleptic state marked by extreme rigidity. As the control spirit takes over, the medium's voice may change completely

Deep trance sounds like the trance your referring to, and light trance sounds like the channelling your referring to. So in the case of a Western perspective on mediums, trance-taking and channelling, it seems you may be right about the differences... but hopefully someone else more well versed on this topic can add to this thread.

Big Uncle

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:12:20 AM »
It was explained to me the difference of channeling and taking full trance. Channeling usually involves a semi-conscious state of mind. In the tradition of the Tibetan oracles, channeling of a higher being and this happens when the Tantric retreats are not complete or the oracle has been 'polluted'.

Therefore, the oracle may sometimes be conscious of what transpired during the channeling session and could sometimes be accused of misconstruing the line of communication of the higher being. The pollution here refers to engaging in activities or foods that blocks or interrupts the psychic channels. Therefore, channeling as such is not as encouraged especially with the State oracle, which have to deal with State secrets. 

On the other hand, a full trance of a higher being would be effected when the oracle is totally unconscious. That would mean that his Tantric retreats and training has been completed and he has remained spiritually clean. Therefore, an oracle have to maintain a strict diet and also strict observance of various ritual restrictions. I don't fully know what the observances are but I do know it includes a clean Samaya with one's Guru and also the observance of the daily Tantric meditations, which is usually Yamantaka.

However, I know that the translations from Tibetan could be loose with both words and also not all writers know of the differences between them. Therefore, both words could be used interchangeably in some books and articles.

hope rainbow

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »
[...] a full trance of a higher being would be effected when the oracle is totally unconscious.

Where does the "conscience" of the oracle go when his body is being utilized by a Buddha or Deity?
Is it still somewhere attached to the body? Is it like a "coma"?

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 05:10:06 PM »
An oracle taking trance of an enlightened being like Dorje Shugden is highly trained by high lamas and their channels are always clean as they hold their samaya very clean and with great integrity.

However, spirits would channel into beings who are not trained and will use such being as a vessel to communicate.

Interesting topic to read and hope that someone will know and give us better knowledge.

James Bond

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 11:18:02 AM »
This is a very interesting question and i have been asking myself the same question for a while now. So as i read through the replies from those more experienced in the dharma i understand more and more. And it has now become more clear to me.

The best comment that we the easiest to understand for me was the reply from Big Uncle. It was very well explained. I know know that channeling occurs when the oracle is 'polluted' or does not have a clean Samaya. And taking complete trance is when the oracle eats the right foods to enable a good phychic channel and when the oracle has a clean samaya with a good relationship with his/her guru. Thank you Positive Change for your question and thank you Big Uncle for your clear explanation. I know understand the difference between channelling and taking trance.