Author Topic: "Lama" Namdrol  (Read 9487 times)

DharmaDefender

"Lama" Namdrol
« on: December 29, 2014, 09:01:20 AM »
A video has been floating around the Internet for a couple of days now, and I just saw this on Facebook so I had to do a little research. The guy seems pretty iffy. Theres no real recognition of his incarnation or any real mention of training and such. What do you guys think? Who is this lama? Hes not even Gelug, with his two wives and all, so why is he commenting on Gelug issues?

Is this the done thing in Singapore where your allowed to criticise whoever you want? I couldve sworn their some kind of police state arresting people who dont follow their religious laws. As far as I know Singapores never invited the Dalai Lama to visit or teach, but this guys openly promoting the Dalai Lama.  http://www.jihadwatch.org/2009/05/singapore-christians-convicted-of-sedition-for-criticizing-islam Maybe I was wrong and things are freer than I suspected?

Edit: wait he has two wives? Bigamy is illegal in Singapore! http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/courts-crime/story/eight-questions-bigamy-singapore-answered-20141127

SINGAPORE (AFP) — A Christian Singaporean couple were found guilty of sedition on Thursday for distributing evangelical publications that cast Islam in a negative light, court officials said.

Ong Kian Cheong and his wife Dorothy Chan had been charged with distributing a seditious publication to two Muslims in October and March 2007 and sending a second such booklet to another Muslim in December that same year, a district court official told AFP.

The publications were found to have promoted feelings of ill-will and hostility between Christians and Muslims, the Straits Times said on its website….

The sedition charge carries a jail term of up to three years or a fine of up to 5,000 Singapore dollars (3,437 US) or both...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:55:38 AM by DharmaDefender »

DharmaDefender

Re: "Lama" Namdrol
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »
See here this advert for one of his teachings. It isnt open about who his teachers are, who recognised him, who trained him and all that good stuff. But hes not short on modesty about his skill in teaching. Cant believe people would fall for this poppycock especially when his centre in Singapore posts up signs like this. Why would anyone go to a religious centre where the first thing they see is such an unpleasant sign?

Edit: he trained in Kopan? Does Lama Zopa endorse this man? Why when he clearly doesnt behave in a Gelug way? Is this the product of Kopans training?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:42:22 AM by DharmaDefender »

icy

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »
Is this "Lama" Namdrol a monk or what?  Looks like he is dressed in monk's robe.  If so how can he have 2 wives?  This is certainly not in accordance with monastic rules and certainly not in the Gelug tradition. 

Ringo Starr

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 01:25:52 AM »
A video has been floating around the Internet for a couple of days now, and I just saw this on Facebook so I had to do a little research. The guy seems pretty iffy. Theres no real recognition of his incarnation or any real mention of training and such. What do you guys think? Who is this lama? Hes not even Gelug, with his two wives and all, so why is he commenting on Gelug issues?

"Wife No. 1" and "Wife No. 2" look to be the same lady in the pictures. Are you sure about the two wives?

DharmaDefender

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 08:07:42 AM »
"Wife No. 1" and "Wife No. 2" look to be the same lady in the pictures. Are you sure about the two wives?

Looks to me their different people.

Anyone can explain these pictures to me by the way? Looks to me like spirit worship? or some kind of local custom involving deities which arent enlightened? Doesnt make sense when hes telling people not to worship Shugden because to him, Shugden is a spirit??

kris

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 03:33:56 AM »
This is his teaching on Youtube:

Small | Large

In this video, he started talking about following HH Dalai Lama's advice not to follow Dorje Shugden. I mean, I respect HH Dalai Lama, but HH Dalai Lama is not his guru. From the video, it seems like he is is saying that we should follow the advice of a guru just because he is famous. Is that so? Has this turned into a world lama content? Then why do you need other lamas? We need to remember, all lamas start with just a few followers before they become famous!

fruven

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 09:20:19 PM »
Teaching the Dharma and breaking the secular laws is sending the wrong message to the people that it is okay not to abide by the rules.

The brochure stated that he's married and has two children. Why would we need to know that he has children? This is ridiculous. Is it suggesting that he is having a happy and successful life because he is married and has kids??

aboutthetruth

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 12:07:37 AM »
Hahaha this "lama" is nothing but a fraud. What kind of Gelug monk wears robes, has two wives and children? What's more, it's ILLEGAL in Singapore to be a bigamist. Where does he get off on advising people on their spiritual practice when he himself worships spirits and changes the teachings to suit his own desires? And seriously listen to the teachings carefully. He just drones on and on and on, and after about 10 minutes of stroking the Dalai Lama's ego, he teaches some unrelated watered down Buddhism for the lay person.

Stay away from this con man!!!

eyesoftara

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 10:04:49 AM »
In the Lamrim, its says that we must consider anyone who wears a monk't robes to be the sangha and it also says that we must judge everything said for ourselves. Hence the Buddha has already laid down the guidelines that while we must respect the Sangha and since we do not know who is and who actually is not the Sangha, we must first and foremost respect the Sangha just in case. From this respect we generate veneration to the Sangha Jewel.
However, even the the Dharma Jewel is to be discern from the correct dissemination; in case speaker made a mistake and from a application point of view ie if it can be applied to ourselves.

So we just need to judge this Lama like that.

MoMo

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 07:21:55 AM »
This Singaporean man with the tile “Lama” was little was known about him , from his FB account he had 2K friends and 192 followers and his main centre "Thekchen Choling” was based in Singapore. A little about his background and biography http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thekchen_Choling
From the above Video teaching it is clear that he is anti-Shugden and a follower of HHDL. We might not like to hear the message that he presented at the beginning of this teaching and all points that he put forth and been refuted in DS.com point by point when under logical investigation but it neither mean that  we have the right to criticise him for the rest of his teaching.
As Shugdenpa, we need to respect other of their practice and not creating confusion to some of his students and followers by derogating him of being involved in bigamy. IMHO from the above picture and as indicated by Ringo Star on post #3, it was clear that the two women do look like the same person!
By bad mouthing another person without logic and prove will really do reflect badly on us as of no difference from CTA and its hate squads.