Author Topic: Wikipedia  (Read 5844 times)

emptymountains

Wikipedia
« on: October 24, 2009, 06:39:51 AM »
Is there a published biography of the 13th Dalai Lama? I'm trying to verify the statement that "in 1921 the 13th Dalai Lama's biography refers to Dorje Shugden as an enlightened Protector (jam mgon bstan srung pa) and explains that the 13th Dalai Lama subsequently restored the Potala and Ganden stupas as an offering to him."

Thanks!

a friend

Re: Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 07:08:38 PM »
Emptymountains,

The xiii DL restored the Potala and Ganden not as an offering to Venerable Dorje Shugden but following his advice, uttered through the Dungkar Gonpa's oracle and transmitted to him by HH Domo Geshe Rinpoche Ngawang Kelsang. Dorje Shugden adviced the xiii DL to do that in order to prevent some serious foreign threats to Tibet.

emptymountains

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 07:39:21 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that. I'll make the correction once I can cite a published source; otherwise, the whole statement will have to be removed.

a friend

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:55:06 PM »
If published means in paper, then I don't know.
I've known this for a long time so I'm quoting my mind  :D and I assure you it's like I told you, but I think you can find it in the Shugden Society, under Ursula Bernis research. An Internet publication should be as valid as a paper one, nowadays.
Otherwise it might be in a short biography of Domo Geshe Rinpoche that was privately printed more than once. I can try to find out if this is necessary for you.
  Anyway, do not erase that from Wiki please.

emptymountains

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 12:21:33 PM »
I found this in Helmut Gassner's 1998 paper:

Dorje Shugden had advised the Thirteenth Dalai lama to renovate the eastern and western stupas. Following this advice, the Thirteenth Dalai Lama undertook major renovations of the Potala and the stupa of the great master Je Tsong Khapa at Ganden Monastery, as is mentioned in Purchog Jampa Rinpoche's biography of the Thirteenth Dalai Lama.

Any way to reference this directly?