Author Topic: Why Christians Might Have Something to Learn From the Dalai Lama  (Read 4100 times)

Klein

This is an interesting article about practising spirituality in particular for the Christians. I think this applies to all spiritual practitioners. It's not about being right. It's about being spiritual, selfless or divine and what it entails.

"But more importantly, on a theological level it doesn’t work either, since it’s predicated on the assumption that the most important job I have is being right.[3] The post-Enlightenment fallacy of much of Western Christianity is that the holy grail of religious devotion is to be right about Jesus, whether or not that “rightness” ever translates into actually living like Jesus.

In other words, your responsibility as a follower of Jesus isn’t just to believe the right stuff, but to live rightly--which, in the case of Jesus means, pursuing the love and justice made possible by the reign of God.

So, when I read Rev. Russell’s blog post on the Dalai Lama, I thought, “How exactly are the faithful challenged to live more like Jesus by attempts to evince feelings of moral superiority to the Dalai Lama?”

Here’s the thing: Jesus didn’t die so that we could win bar bets with other religions about who understands God best, but so that his followers might learn to let go of the mistaken belief that being the best is something God values.

Jesus didn’t die so we could be the best, but so that we might know what it looks like to give our lives away. And were we to listen, the Dalai Lama might just be able to teach us something about that."

Click here for the full article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/derek-penwell/why-christians-might-have-something-to-learn-from-the-dalai-lama_b_3380411.html?utm_hp_ref=buddhism] [url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/derek-penwell/why-christians-might-have-something-to-learn-from-the-dalai-lama_b_3380411.html?utm_hp_ref=buddhism [/url]

Blueupali

• Email
Re: Why Christians Might Have Something to Learn From the Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 05:12:25 AM »
Okay, I googled this, and I have to say, that it is really obvious the Huffington Post is really beyond the pale pro-Dalai, and you guys, no it's not about being right.  But what it is interesting, is that we think the Dalai can teach anyone anything while he is a total hypocrite on Shugden.  He takes everyone down a slippery slope to shunning us and trying to convert us, and trying to destroy our temples (NKT) as posing as our practioners.  He is a ruthless man, you guys.  Can the Christains learn from him?  The reverand in the article called the DL possessed.  That is normal, for some brands of Christains, okay, to think we are demons.
  But the Dalai thinks I am a demon, that my lamas are all demons, because they pray to Dorje Shugden, whom HE the DL decided was a spirit (while he himself does listen to the Nechung spirit or whatever that thing is).
  So, the more interesting debate to me is can the Dalai learn from Christains... the answer is yes should he notice that the crusades were a bad idea, just like his campaign against Shugden.  Anybody who truely follows the DL isn't allowed to talk to me or associate with me-- or other people like me unless they are trying to take us down.  The DL teaches HARM folks.  He should learn that crusades and other intolerance dont' help. Do you seriously think this dude is a Buddha?  For real?

Blueupali

• Email