Author Topic: Shop with Buddhist footwear raided  (Read 13640 times)

bambi

Shop with Buddhist footwear raided
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:48:18 AM »
I am very sure that there are many types of images that can be put on the footwear but why Buddha images?
No matter what your religion, please respect other religions. We have no right to defame any of them especially when you put them down to your feet and stepping all over with them.

Shop with Buddhist footwear raided

A shop selling footwear with Buddhist images, was raided in Balangoda and two people were arrested.

The police said that the raid was carried out based on information received by the police regarding the footwear.

Following the raid the police found two footwear with Buddhist images. The items were seized and two people were subsequently arrested.

The two people arrested are residents of Atulgama and Bandaragama. The Balangoda police are conducting further investigations.

eyesoftara

Re: Shop with Buddhist footwear raided
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 01:10:52 PM »
I am not personally affected if the images of the Buddhas are put in "disrespectful" places like on shoes and I am sure the Buddhas are not. However, as the symbols of the Enlightened Minds are the strongest possible source of merits and good karma, to put it on "lower" areas of the mindset ie on shoes does bring about disrespect or at least disregard to these "Enlightened" qualities and generate to most observers negative imprints that can bring countless misfortune in future lives. This is unfortunate.

OMB

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 04:53:39 AM »
Lord Buddha is worshiped by millions of people around the world. It's very unethical and disrespectful the manufacturer to put this 'enlightened being' image on footwear.  Bravo to the police for raided the shop and coming hard of these culprits.

MoMo

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 10:28:12 AM »
At the first glance of the photo I was attracted to its Buddha's image that look like mural in monastery . But for the designer or manufacturer to put a sacred image of any religious to the lower part of the human body or to be step on is truly unbecoming. IMHO it's even worst than tattooing Buddha's image at parts of one legs! If left prevailing, these will be the cause for others to use Buddha images or the word “Buddha” for commercial activities that are proscribed by Holy Buddha himself.  The Buddha's teachings will survive  or not really boiled down to us taking it seriously or not. Thanks Balangoda police for taking swift action and hope it will serves as a reminder for traders in these areas not continuing committing negativity for a few gain.     

RedLantern

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 03:33:28 PM »

The mistreatment of Buddha image is disrespectful and should be avoided.We should respect holy and religious images,as the Buddha himself taught and be reminded of his compassion,kindness, his teachings and feel the highest regard for him. Some show respect,others behave with ignorance.

bambi

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 03:20:37 PM »
And the worse part is that this is not the first time this has happened yet people dont learn from it.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/Buddhists-outraged-at-Buddhas-images-on-shoes/articleshow/15326465.cms

WASHINGTON: The Tibetan and the Buddhist community are outraged at a California-based company for promoting a range of shoes with the Lord Buddha's images.

Tibetans and Bhutanese Buddhists have written to the company, Icon Shoes, to express their disgust. They have flooded the company's Facebook page with protest notes.

"Unfortunately, it is a basic Buddhist tradition to treat images of Buddhist deities with reverence. Having the images on shoes is disrespect to the Buddhists," wrote Bhuchung Tsering form International Campaign for Tibet.

"Could you kindly consider this and withdraw the shoes from your catalogue," the Tibetan leader demanded.

The North American member of the Tibetan Parliament, Tashi Namgyal, wrote a protest letter to Icon Shoe.

"I came across shoes with image of Lord Buddha on it, manufactured by your company. I was totally shocked and dismayed at being so insensitive," wrote Namgyal.

"Lord Buddha is worshiped by millions of people around the world including the writer of this letter... Therefore, I would like to strongly urge your company to recall every merchandise sold with Buddha's image and stop not only selling such merchandises but manufacture of such products. Above all, I want you to tender unqualified apology posted on your website," Tashi demanded.

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 02:05:44 PM »
Feeling spiteful here, had these manufacturers considered printing images of their God on these shoes for their customers to wear them as a fashion Art piece? How would they feel to see images of "angels" and "gods" on their feet? That should wake them up. How about images of "satan"? So sad to say that these manufacturers and designers would degrade their values down to this LOW level ie. disrespectful.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:16:22 AM »
My opinion of having a Buddha image or any other sign related to other religions on a footwear is truly a sign of pure ill manner and downright rude. Surely anyone with proper sense would know not to place an object of religious reverence on the apparel that we put on to trample all over the surface of the earth that we do not want to touch with our bare feet.
It could have been done with the intention to insult, but I would not get upset and the best is to not support the shop and maker of such footwear.

pinecone

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 01:23:44 PM »
In modern society, we see the Buddha image and name everywhere, as decoration, as garden decoration, in restaurants, pubs and tatoos on human skin but now even on footwear!!  Buddha has been regarded as an enlightened being by the Buddhist. How can one place a holy being image at the most disrespectful level?  I strongly think that this footwear manufacturer should have due consideration on all aspects i.e. religion, politics etc before deciding on the manufacturing of certain products rather than putting priorities on self gain.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 04:25:52 PM »
The Buddha's image on the footwear is very beautiful but the image should be in the form of a poster or something else which can be place on a higher place.
This seems a little bit disrespectful to the Buddha's as they are the Enlightened Beings whom we worship. I will agree that it's good that the footwear shop is raided.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
Although from the design point of view and the acceptance of Buddha image from the general public, it is indeed very fashionable to have this kind of very unusual design pair of shoe. By from religion point of view and personally i think it is disrespect to have an Buddha image to be placed right on your foot wear whereby one will be sliding their feet into the shoe and will be walking into various different kind of places.