Author Topic: Rare conjoined twins born in Sydney with one body  (Read 9126 times)

Jessie Fong

Rare conjoined twins born in Sydney with one body
« on: May 13, 2014, 08:16:22 AM »

In an extremely rare case of conjoined twins, Faith and Hope Howie were born with one body, one head and two faces in Sydney, Australia.

The girls have their own brains and a set of identical facial features but share a body, limbs and a skull.

In 35 other similar cases worldwide, none have survived.

Reported in Australian Associated Press
theguardian.com, Tuesday 13 May 2014:

Doctors discovered the babies' condition during a routine ultrasound at 19 weeks and their parents went against medical advice when they continued with the pregnancy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think the parents made the right choice of bringing the girls into this world, knowing that they have little/no chance of a life?

Had they taken the medical advice and terminated the pregnancy, would it be a crime?

If they survive, would they be used as circus objects?

grandmapele

Re: Rare conjoined twins born in Sydney with one body
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 06:29:28 AM »
if you believe in Karma, then the parents made the right choice. The Karma has to be exhausted. The children will suffer for sure - more than any other normal child if they survive. But, do you want to terminate the pregnancy and let the Karma manifest again?

It may not be deemed a crime by secular medical standards. Here, whichever way the children may be seen, they are alive and no one is in any position to take another's life. But, as a human being, how can we stand aside knowing that the poor children will suffer so very much even without any accompanying medical conditions -  to be called freaks wherever they go. The parents are very brave to do what they did in the face of adversity.

I doubt they will end up as circus freaks with such loving parents. The family must stand behind the parents and give them their support, love and counselling in times of need. May they be blessed by the Three Jewels.

bambi

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »
How sad that the twins are born like that. :(
I believe that it is very inhumane to terminate their lives because of their condition. All of us have the right to live and nobody has the say to end it. The parents are so hopeful that they went ahead even though they know the consequences.
And I dont think that anyone will parade them in a circus coz that will be extremely cruel. Making them feel like freaks when they are not.
Is this the karma of being too attached to someone?

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/conjoined-twins-hope-faith-fight-survival-article-1.1789137

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 10:47:25 AM »
I agree that it is a result of karma that these babies are born in that condition. Whether the babies will survive or not will also be the result of their karma and i do not think that their parents were wrong to have kept the pregnancy. After all, the main principle of humanity is not to kill. Their parents made a very selfless choice by keeping their children because of the great hardship they will experience in looking after them and should the children not survive, they will also suffer. It would have been much easier to terminate the pregnancy so to their credit they did not. I wish the whole family much peace and love as they experience this karma together.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

angelica

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 09:02:37 AM »
I think the parents have make the right choice and a very brave decision to continue with the pregnancy till the babies are born. Termination of the pregnancy will result in the parents creating negative karma due to  killing.

The condition of the babies is due to their own karma manisfestation. Hope they survive and grow up healthy. No doubt they might be suffering in this life, hope they can fully utilise this precious human life to practice dharma and have a better rebirth in the future life.

Parents that are brave enough to continue with the pregnancy and have special kids like this, must be a compassionate beings. I am sure they will not let the babies end up in circus for parade.

fruven

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 06:19:04 PM »
No matter what is the motivation terminating life is a no no. The parents accepted their 'fate' so to speak and choose to live with what children they bring to the world. This action would exhaust whatever karma they have done in the past in relation to humiliation is what would like to think of. Otherwise they will experience the same thing if they choose to terminate the pregnancy, both the parents and the child.

Big Uncle

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 02:39:54 AM »
There are many types of karmas that arises from each action that we have done in the past. Unfortunately, all of our actions are tainted with selfish intent. Since, we have not developed Bodhichitta (spontaneous compassion) in our mind-streams, so these actions manifest according to its individual effects. According to the Buddha, karma returns the effects to us in a three-fold effect. One is the ripened effect resembling the cause and that is the effect that we experience according to the action we had created. The next one is tendencies and that is the habituation, tendency or urge to commit further actions of that nature. Finally, the last effect is the environmental effect. That is the karma we create to be reborn in a realm or existence according to the karma we accrued. Therefore, the twins had created an action in the past or several actions in the past that created the circumstances that they have to endure together now.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 04:18:44 AM »
There are many types of karmas that arises from each action that we have done in the past. Unfortunately, all of our actions are tainted with selfish intent. Since, we have not developed Bodhichitta (spontaneous compassion) in our mind-streams, so these actions manifest according to its individual effects. According to the Buddha, karma returns the effects to us in a three-fold effect. One is the ripened effect resembling the cause and that is the effect that we experience according to the action we had created. The next one is tendencies and that is the habituation, tendency or urge to commit further actions of that nature. Finally, the last effect is the environmental effect. That is the karma we create to be reborn in a realm or existence according to the karma we accrued. Therefore, the twins had created an action in the past or several actions in the past that created the circumstances that they have to endure together now.

I like and agree with what Big Uncle said. A lesson in Karma.  I personally think that if the parents knows there is no chance of survival they should not have brought them into this world. To me that would be from from a motivation of lessening their suffering. I know that may mean killing the unborn. This is also the karma of the parents and the decision is not likely to be pleasant either way. Having given birth to them I thing the thing to do is to pray to whatever religion they believe in preferably Buddhism for blessing and make the best our of the situation.
I can't help but to take this as an example of suffering in Samsara as per the 1st Noble Truth.

brian

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 05:32:15 PM »
ya i agree. I would not have wanted the baby(ies) had i know that bringing them to the world would mean eventual suffering for them. As though it is not already suffering enough for a human life. I think sometimes confusing situations can lead us to be confused and hard to make a good decision which can be perceived as bad to us but eventually for the good. 

pinecone

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 12:43:19 PM »
My sincere salute to the parents for making the brave choice to continue with the pregnancy even though being informed by the doctor on the unfavourable condition of  the babies.  I may say that nobody has the right to terminate one’s life. Upon making the decision , the parents are mentally  prepared to face all the coming obstacles and being born with such a kind and loving parents,  the twins will receive the appropriate medical attention and thus, I am sure they will not end up in the circus.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 03:36:46 PM »
This is karma in the making. Karma is cause and effect. Both parents and the babies must have done something to have this effect in this life.
To terminate the pregnancy will result more negative karma collected and the effect will be even more worst. If they believe in karma then they should be doing more dharma work to collect more merits to lessen the negative karma.

MoMo

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 08:05:36 AM »
This is really a tough question to answer as I think the religious’ views will contradict with modern medical science. Generally it will be heavy burden for the parent to rise up these conjoined twins. If there is a medical solution to it, which one would the parent choose to let go of? If they grow up, how do they going to make a living in modern world that we live in?
I guess the parent make the right choice in Buddhist view, is to let Karma take it due course and let it cease on its due course.  But then, hey! Who am I to give such a command?

X

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »
When we face such case in life, it is really really hard to make the decision, whether to let them live or don’t bring them to this world. But in my opinion, the parents have made a good choice bringing them to this world. Terminating the pregnancy is definitely a NO, it is as good as killing and also a negative action. Every sentient being deserve a chance to live. Plus, being able to reborn as a human is very fortunate. I respect what their parents have done, lots of respect for them. I once watch a documentary about another conjoined twins from India. Even though they face a lot of problems in life, but they actually appreciate having each other. They choose not to be separated when they have the chance to do so, a chance to be normal again. How beautiful is that.

Klein

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »

I agree with Big Uncle. The twins need to endure their karma and exhaust it. Otherwise, they will reincarnate and go through similar sufferings. The most we can do is to do pujas for them so that they can collect more merits to lessen their sufferings and take a better rebirth.