Author Topic: Tibetans condemn protest by Shugden followers against Dalai Lama  (Read 3126 times)

DharmaSpace

DHARAMSHALA: Protests by a sect of Tibetans, the Dorjee Shugden followers, during a function attended by Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama last week, has evoked strong reactions from Tibetan community in exile here. Shugden followers have been banned by the Dalai Lama and Tibetan government in exile from participating in routine spiritual and democratic activities, unlike other Tibetans.

Officials of the Tibetan settlement office here stated that they regularly receive letters from Shugden followers on various issues. But these are anonymous letters and have no information about the sender. These people are becoming a threat to the security of Dalai Lama as they had protested in the open for the first time perhaps, they said.

According to reports, Shugden followers gathered in hundreds outside the Clara University where Dalai Lama was supposed to give a lecture. They protested demanding religious freedom.

Condemning the incident, a Tibetan welfare officer said Shugden followers were against the teachings of Budha and as such, they have been banned. "I am ready to debate with them at any stage if they are ready to do so. But they should stop these type of activities," said Sonam Dorjee, Tibetan settlement officer, here.

"Shugden followers must stop lying. Recently, I saw a YouTube clip where Inji Nun were shouting slogans in front of His Holiness, saying stop lying. I must tell Shugden followers that they must stop lying in the name of religious freedom. Shugden is not a religion, they worship spirits, which is not part of teachings by Buddha. They should not play into hands of China. If they have the guts, they should come to my office and have a debate before they shout slogans. Please do not send unofficial and anonymous letters to our office," said Dorjee, expressing his annoyance, through his Facebook account on Saturday as a message to Shugden followers.

However, reports quoting Len Foley, spokesperson of international Shugden community protesting against Dalai Lama, has stated that Dalai Lama was enforcing a ban that is affecting millions of people and they want Dalai Lama to end this discrimination and religious abuse.

Tibetans and CTA are mislead to suggest that only Tibetans have a right to voice out about the Dorje Shugden issue. Tibetans and non Tibetans have the right to speak out when there is injustice, when practitioners are harmed  and monks are hurt. In fact it is our universal right to speak out if we feel the ban has done tremendous harm to practitioners and people. 

As Buddhists we need to care about what happens to other Buddhists.

eyesoftara

Re: Tibetans condemn protest by Shugden followers against Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 04:12:55 AM »
These Tibetan is exile are forced to adhere to the Dalai Lama's every whims because they rely on the Dalai Lama for everything as long as they are in India. So they play themselves into the hands of the CTA. The more ignorant they are the easier for the CTA to control them and to enforce the ban. Sonam Dorjee for me is just another ignorant CTA officer. The Buddha said that compassion the most important practice. Why can't there just practice tolerance even if they do not understand the practice? I guess, ignorance begets ignorance.