Author Topic: Chinese Buddhist temple forms "anti-terrorist" squad  (Read 5645 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Chinese Buddhist temple forms "anti-terrorist" squad
« on: April 03, 2014, 03:56:05 PM »
I thought this was interesting because it says that "It is the first time a Chinese temple has set up such a team". I thought that the Shaolin temples invented kung fu precisely for self-defence reasons. Wouldn't martial arts be better than shields, batons and pepper spray? Though perhaps it would take longer to train to fight using martial arts than these weapons.

Chinese Buddhist temple forms "anti-terrorist" squad

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-china-temple-20140403,0,4460999.story
Reuters
6:29 a.m. CDT, April 3, 2014

BEIJING (Reuters) - Nervous about a repeat of last month's deadly knife attack at a Chinese train station, a well-known Buddhist temple in eastern China has drafted some of its monks into a new "anti-terrorist" squad, state media said on Thursday.

The team at the 1,700-year-old Lingyin Temple in the tourist city of Hangzhou is made up of 20 monks and more than 20 security guards, the official Xinhua news agency quoted the temple's Buddhist Master Jueheng as saying.

The squad's members are equipped with shields, pepper spray and batons. It is the first time a Chinese temple has set up such a team, Xinhua said.

"The squad members practice Buddhism in the day and take part in training exercises at night," Jueheng said, adding police helped with the training.

"We set up the squad to guard against violence and terrorist attacks in a bid to protect the safety of visitors and Buddhism believers."

The China News Service said the idea sprang from last month's attack at the Kunming train station in southwestern China, blamed on militants from the far western region of Xinjiang. Thirty-three people died, including four of the attackers, shot dead by police.

That incident "attracted the attention of temple authorities", the report said.

China remains jittery after that incident and after a vehicle ploughed into tourists on the edge of Tiananmen Square last October, killing the three people in the car and two bystanders. China labeled that incident a suicide attack by Xinjiang militants.

Such violence has, however, generally been confined to Xinjiang and the targets are normally the security forces or government officials, rather than tourist or religious sites.

(Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Ron Popeski)
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

brian

• Email
Re: Chinese Buddhist temple forms "anti-terrorist" squad
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:38:16 AM »
This is nothing new if compared to Shaolin kungfus that we so often see in the TV. In ancient times, Shaolin monks were renowned to be able to perform kungfus stunts protecting the poor and destitute apart from taking kungfu for health reason.

bonfire

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:20:15 AM »
"Vigilantes" is something nice in movies, though in the real world, it may become a problem (even if they are monks).
Our secular security depends upon two things:

1. the "terrain"
2. our police forces

The "terrain" is the mindset of anyone that leads to violent acts and thoughts or not.
It comes from education, surroundings, karma of course, circumstances...

If the "terrain" fails, police comes in.
Vigilantes can become an issue for security itself.

Anyone trained at self-defense is probably a good thing, it makes the "terrain" less likely for bullying and violent attacks.
I am assuming that this is what these monks do, they learn self-defense in order to help, just in case.
I am assuming they are not going to be "vigilantes". If they do, then we have a debate here I think...

Klein

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 05:53:57 AM »
Doing what is practical for the safety of others is a Buddhist virtue. Again, the motivation is most important. There are many things that Buddhist temples and centres do that are not conventional but is necessary. This is because times have changed and methods have to change to cater to the new culture and needs. The teachings, however, cannot be changed.

By providing security in the temple, visitors will not have to worry about their safety. Perhaps this will also increase the number of visitors. More people can receive blessings from the Buddha whereby seeds of Enlightenment are planted in their mind stream. I feel this is an act of compassion from the monks who go the extra mile for the sake of the visitors.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 01:26:07 PM »
The management committee of the Lingyin Temple have taken the measure of forming an anti-terrorist squad at their temple to protect the temple and also it's visitors. It is very depressing to think that some irresponsible parties are targeting holy sites and places of worship to create disturbances to get some attention.
Although the monks have a vow not to hurt any beings, it is very certain the batons and pepper sprays will be utilized should there be any threat to the safety of the temples and its visitors.

grandmapele

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 01:32:53 PM »
Sad to think that modern monks have to emulate the Shaolin monks of old. Even Shaolin monks in modern times take up kungfu for exercise and as part of their heritage.

Hopefully, the call to arms will not need to be utilised but in any case, if it is for the safety of all as the motivation, it should be encouraged. Hopefully, the knowledge that the monks are armed will deter the extremist to stay away.

cookie

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »
I think it's perfectly ok for the temple to prepare itself ahead of any potential attack on its temple and its people. I believe it's a wise move. Monks should keep fit too by doing some exercises etc. There should even be evacuation plans and drills. In the event there is a real attack, many lives and precious holy items can be saved. It is sad to have to think negatively but its better to be safe then to be sorry.

brian

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »
 the sole reason why Buddhist temples practices kungfu are based on health and self defence reasons. It is being practiced for hundreds of years if not thousands and it i think it is some kind of meditation too probably. I think it is very nice to watch and for the matter, it does encourage individuals to participate in this healthy sport rather than destroying but instead it is for defensive measure.

bambi

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »
I dont find it disturbing. I believe that it is good to create awareness rather than not do anything about it. I wouldnt want to be the one to get hurt for no reasons. Even my girl friends are learning ways to defend themselves in case any dangerous situations arise. And for those who do not have time, they carry pepper spray with them all the time. The motivation is to defend and not for the sake of hurting people with intention of hurting.