Author Topic: Phoney monk vexes envoy  (Read 11266 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Phoney monk vexes envoy
« on: March 29, 2014, 09:22:56 PM »
It's really sad when fake monks go around asking for donations. When they are revealed to be fraudsters, they reflect badly on real monks and people become very suspicious of monks in general because of news items like this. Either way, it's a lose lose situation. However, with more education and awareness such as in this article where they talk about monks not begging for money but for food and that there is no begging after noon, the public will hopefully be less likely to be duped by fake monks in future.

Phoney monk vexes envoy
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9883967/Phoney-monk-vexes-envoy
SHANE COWLISHAW
Last updated 05:00 30/03/2014

A fake Buddhist monk soliciting donations from the public has drawn the ire of the Thai ambassador.

Last week the Sunday Star-Times revealed a Chinese national, dressed in the working robes of a monk and sporting a shaved head, was walking the streets of Wellington offering bracelets to passers-by.

Several people complained that the man then asked for a donation, and was not happy about small offerings. One woman said she was led to an ATM after telling the man she only had a few coins.

Police later tracked down the man and gave him a warning.

The phoney monk's hard-sell routine appears similar to cases from Asia several years ago. There were reports of a similar monk spotted in Auckland earlier this month and in Australia earlier this year. One person in Sydney claimed a monk pulled a portable credit card machine from his robes to ask for a donation.

Thailand ambassador Noppadon Theppitak said he found the news upsetting and was concerned the man's actions could tarnish the reputation of monks in New Zealand.

Having studied Theravada Buddhist practices and been briefly ordained as a monk himself, Theppitak said the reception of offerings - known as "binthabat" - was part of a Buddhist monk's daily routine.

The purpose was to give followers the chance to nurture the religion by way of offerings and for the monks to offer guidance. But monks would never approach the public and offerings were usually only food, which was accepted before midday as they were not allowed to eat after that time.

Should monks need to collect large sums of cash it would be done at a set time and venue by monks who had official identification.

It would also often be publicly announced by embassies and high commissions, he said.

"Therefore, in support of the good-hearted people in New Zealand of all faiths, I would like to reiterate that they should also exercise caution in their donation by questioning the authenticity of the monk-like persons asking for money, especially if the begging takes place after midday."

Wellington police spokesman Nick Bohm said the man's visitor permit expires on April 2 and while he could make an application to extend it, it was unlikely it would be granted.

The man had arrived from Australia on March 2 but there was no evidence linking him to similar activities there, he said.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

bambi

Re: Phoney monk vexes envoy
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 02:24:29 PM »
And there we go... Another bogus monk. It's really disturbing when these con men ruin the image of Sanghas who are really out there to collect donations for a valid reason. The public should be aware and lodge complains with the police department and the police should not let them off so easily. Maybe based on witness' testimonial, they can lock these con men up for a certain limit of time and if they violate their rights again, give them a harsher punishment.

fruven

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 03:08:54 PM »
This is quite common in some countries which have a larger population of Buddhists. I don't blame the lay people but it also reflects on how we are quick to judge an organization based on a few person's actions alone. The sangha has no controlled over non-sangha who don the robes for self-gain purpose. I feel this is good article to bring to attention to the public what is happening and how people should respond, the do's and don'ts when they encountered similar without being taken advantage of.

DS Star

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »
Monk carrying Credit Card machine? This is really unbelievable....

People who donates may not realise that Buddhist monks or nuns (Sangha members) are not supposed to handle money. They should appoint a lay person to help them on monetary matters.

For big donations, there  should be a project fund set up, definitely not through individual soliciting method.

These kind of bogus monks appeared in Asian countries for quite a numbers of years before. It happened in Thailand too.

It is very sad indeed.

eyesoftara

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 08:35:56 AM »
It certainly look like these are fake monks soliciting donations. I suppose in New Zealand and in other western countries, people do not carry much cash and hence the fake monks actually carry credit card machines. I do not  if I should laugh or cry.....! I have seen such monks in my travel in Asia. These fake monks wear robes of not just the Theravadan tradition but also of the Mahayana tradition.
If anyone here has taken refuge vows, please check the refuge commitments to regard anyone wearing robes as true members of the sangha. I think it is certainly applicable here. What do everyone think?

Jessie Fong

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 07:25:13 AM »
Monk carrying Credit Card machine? This is really unbelievable....

People who donates may not realise that Buddhist monks or nuns (Sangha members) are not supposed to handle money. They should appoint a lay person to help them on monetary matters.

For big donations, there  should be a project fund set up, definitely not through individual soliciting method.

These kind of bogus monks appeared in Asian countries for quite a numbers of years before. It happened in Thailand too.

It is very sad indeed.

Conmen are cashing in on the kindness of the public.

In Asia, it is a common sight to see a monk or nun in public requesting for alms.  Usually offerings are given in terms of food and if large sums of cash is donated, it is usually through the temple where there is a committee to handle such donations.

I think one does not need to do a 1+1 equals 2 to raise the alarm that a monk is carrying a credit card machine with him.

kris

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 07:59:24 AM »
Fake monks really give a bad image towards the Sangha community. There are many kind heart person out there, and it is just unfortunate the kindness is being abused. Eventually people will be doubtful and stop giving. This has indeed happened to myself, where I grow up seeing a lot of fake monks and I mum usually told me to be very careful not to be cheated (because money is very hard-earned). I am still very cautions when giving money so that my hard-earned money really do go to the right hands.

What I liked is the way Thailand ambassador Noppadon Theppitak explained and made aware for the public. It is important to educate the public, especially in a place where Buddhism is not too widely understood by the public. I would look at this from a more positive note: It gives a chance to explain to the public about Buddhism and some may even go and find out more and explore Buddhism :)

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 01:10:29 PM »
There are pure real monks who do not even know the use of "money" when handed to them. Most of the time, when you give donations to sangha, they would find ways to return you a small gift as a gesture of care and friendship. I do not entertain "bogus" monks when they approach me. The public in general would just give them some shillings to get rid of them.

brian

• Email
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 06:26:07 AM »
Why are there still a lot of fake monks coming out to seek donations from the public? I guess it is all going down to the level of education the members of the public to stop donating to monks on the streets. Instead, they channel their help to monasteries so that none of the fake monks will be benefitted from this and had to retire eventually from this. It creates a very bad image to the public for fake monks to come and do things such as this.

RedLantern

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 11:52:19 AM »
There are thieves and swindlers everywhere in every organization.Buddhism is very important and beautiful.
Real monks don't wonder the streets for donations for their trinkets. But some people have no respect for the Buddha.. and are not afraid to cheat using robes and the names of Sangha associations.
Thank you for sharing this post to raise awareness to the public.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 06:10:31 AM »
We are also to be blamed in part if we should be conned by such bogus members of the Sangha.  We must be aware that the only things that they ask for should be the offerings that the public put inside their alms bowls, and that is usually food.

If there should be a request for monetary donations, please direct your hard-earned money to the temple personally.

I have seen some Sangha members giving a blessed cotton bracelet or Buddha picture to people who have given a donation.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 09:36:04 AM »
Wow they have ventured out of Asia now. Please be caution of these so called monk who ask for more donation if what they received from you it is not enough. Donating small amount I guess is alright whether they are real monks or not as long as our motivation is to help. If we really wanted to help or donate large sum of money, the best is to go to the temple or Registered Buddhist Organisation.

cookie

• Email
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 10:13:41 AM »
Greed can motivate people to dress up as monks and go around conning innocent people. These phoney monks are in actual fact thieves. On top of that, their actions will tarnish the public's view of monks and Buddhism. It is indeed very sad.  The law of the country may or may not be able to contain them; but they will certainly be subjected to the law of KARMA which they will never be able to escape.

MoMo

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »
How many times we and been approached to support some charitable organization Buddhist or not.
As a Buddhist, when it come to practice of generosity our giving had nothing to do with the recipient but had everything to do with our inner kindness. Once I was told.
But that doesn’t means we are always easily to be taken for a ride on stupidity. In this case it would be too bold to go around town with a credit card machine! An act like this will sure tarnish all Buddhist organizations’ reputation and impede their fund rising works in future.

angelica

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 04:58:38 PM »
Donation and offering of dana is a Buddhism practice to give, to be generous and to let go of our attachment to the worldly things. The act of these fake monks have make things worst. People are not so willing to give the future, cos they are unable to differentiate a real monk and a fake monk. Maybe a license or a a sangha identity card will resolve this problem.

Even though there are fake monks, but we should not stop the good practice of giving. The most important is the motivation of us doing a certain act. A fake monk that received the donation/dana will suffer for his action, he will accumulate negative karma.