Author Topic: Thailand’s Bad Boy Monk Buddha Issara Keeps Getting Worse  (Read 14814 times)

bambi

Thailand’s Bad Boy Monk Buddha Issara Keeps Getting Worse
« on: March 15, 2014, 03:44:41 PM »
Is he really helping the poor people get justice? So much is happening everywhere concerning Sanghas. After reading, I do hope that the monk is doing it to help the poor and not take advantage of the situation and make things worse.

Bangkok, Thailand -- With newspaper reports of errant monks being disrobed for drug, alcohol or sex offenses an almost weekly occurrence, Buddhism in Thailand seems to be in a state of disarray when measured against the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama.

However, while Thais have been sickened at the sight of the battered bodies of young children killed in grenade and automatic weapons attacks on anti-government protesters, there has been significantly less public outrage at a senior Buddhist monk commanding one of the protest rally sites.

The sight of monks participating in political rallies in Thailand is not a new one. Monks participated in the 2006 anti-government protests by the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD), aka the ‘yellow-shirts”, against former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, while (presumably) others supported the 2010 protests by United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), aka the “red-shirts”, against the government of Abhisit Vejjajiva.

However, when “People’s Democratic Reform Committee” (PDRC) leader Suthep Thaugsuban announced his grand plan to “Shutdown Bangkok” by establishing stages at ten locations across Bangkok, the sight of a monk leading the protesters and establishing a rally stage blocking the main government complex at Chaeng Wattana only served to illustrate how far down the rabbit hole some Buddhist monks in Thailand have fallen.

In the six weeks since then the behavior of 56-year-old Buddha Issara, abbot of Wat Or Noi in the central Thailand province of Nakhon Pathom, has sunk to increasingly depraved levels with photos of him interrogating undercover police who were caught intelligence gathering at his rally site and who were dragged before him after being beaten by his “guards” widely circulated.

Read more http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=52,11792,0,0,1,0#.UyRzZ62Szsc

dondrup

Re: Thailand’s Bad Boy Monk Buddha Issara Keeps Getting Worse
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:56:25 AM »
It seems like Buddha Issara has acted and behaved like a rogue gangster boss than a humbled monk!  Surprisingly the authorities concerned have not taken a tougher stance to curtail his actions despite having issued several warrant of arrests and summonses on him.

Buddha Issara was found to have broken the Buddhist ethics of joining political protest rallies and the rules of the Sangha Supreme Council. It has  become a concern for some for example Buddhist Association of Thailand who felt that Buddha Issara's sordid behaviour is damaging the image of the Sangha and Buddhism.

Yes, we don't know the ultimate motivation of Buddha Issara's actions. Nevertheless Buddha Issara must act in accordance with the established Buddhist ethics and law of the country. He must show a good example of a Buddhist monk.  Otherwise his actions will cause a disrepute to Buddhism.

Klein

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 02:21:34 AM »
Just because the person wears robes doesn't mean he or she is really practising Buddha's teachings. A real Buddhist practitioner doesn't create or support violence. Unfortunately, there are many con men out there who are always looking at ways to cheat people. That's why it is very important for us to promote Dorje Shugden in this age of degeneration. The main purpose of a protector as we all know is to clear obstacles for dharma practitioners like us so that we can have the opportunities to practise dharma and be closer to enlightenment.

eyesoftara

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 04:36:02 AM »
Just because the person wears robes doesn't mean he or she is really practising Buddha's teachings. A real Buddhist practitioner doesn't create or support violence. Unfortunately, there are many con men out there who are always looking at ways to cheat people. That's why it is very important for us to promote Dorje Shugden in this age of degeneration. The main purpose of a protector as we all know is to clear obstacles for dharma practitioners like us so that we can have the opportunities to practise dharma and be closer to enlightenment.

It is very true that wearing a robe does not mean the person is a real monk. But if he has taken the monk vows, then even if he has transgressed some of these vows, it is between him and his abbot/Guru and his karma. It is not for us to judge especially if we are lay. For it has been taught that even if the monk holds one of his vows well, his merits is by far superior to the lay. Hence, we need to keep our respect and do not judge him.

diamond girl

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 05:19:03 AM »
Yes monks should not resort to violent acts. However, there are monks who do "protest" like in the cases of monks and nuns in support of DS and wants the Ban lifted. The thing is that it does not get violence. At the end of it, who are we lay people to judge members of Sangha? We have done all possible sins with not good intentions. At the end of it it is the motivation. Buddha has taught 85,000 ways to reach us, so if monks need to protest to get heard then I do not see why not. Of course there are some "sangha" who abuse the presence of their robes... this is why this is samsara.

ilikeshugden

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 03:06:32 PM »
It seems that Issara is either emanating wrath or he is genuinely getting angry. I personally wouldn't get affiliated with politics but I think that people in religion should avoid getting into political affairs as to stop any forms of schism within the monastic institutes and other faiths.

brian

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 02:20:07 PM »
yeah, Sangha members should not be involved in politics or be seen in doing negative actions. This is not appropriate and will disparage the name of Dharma and Buddhism to the public. Why do this and create such controversies. Why can't monk just stay away from such things and instead should concentrate on their practices.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 03:34:18 PM »
Is it because of the degenerating age which leads to political instability in Thailand which ultimately leads to the sangha members to be involve in politic which should not be happened in the first place. If a country is peaceful and living in harmony i believed then this Thailand bad boy monk will not have arise in this manner whatever his motivation is. Indirectly is the behaviour and all the negative karma which the Thai people have accumulated had this bad boy monk manifested. It is only my opinion.

Q

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 03:24:52 AM »
Well, who are we to judge a Sangha... there are great masters that are known to be very wrathful in nature though it is really rare in Theravada tradition

I do not want to condemn this Abbot at the moment as I do not fully understand the situation... there may be a call for the protests and sometimes to protect your people, drastic actions need to be taken. Also, we must look at the possibility of people framing the Abbot, I'm sure he has many enemies out there.

However, I do not agree with Buddhism being trapped in the middle of politics. Not only Buddhism, but religion in general. As a DS practitioner that's oppressed by the Tibetan Buddhist community, I understand the difficulties that will arise through this involvement with politics. I wish really Buddhism will set an example to all religions that power and religion should never go hand in hand... as the whole reason for having religion in the first place is to give us peace and lead us to the path of liberation... so if that's the case, why does people still put so much effort into these political play and protests instead of striving for enlightenment? Sigh....

Jessie Fong

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 05:02:12 AM »
Politics and religion should never mix.

The Sangha is held esteemed to propagate the teachings of Buddha. The monks have their vows to upkeep. 

It is getting more common nowadays to hear/see members of the Sangha being involved in worldly affairs.  It was reported that he abbot of Wat Or Noi in the central Thailand province of Nakhon Pathom.

All the more so when we know that he is not a bogus monk in robes, out to deceive the people.

pgdharma

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 06:45:48 AM »
Monks should not be involved in politics. The should hold their vows and promote the Buddha's Teachings instead of getting involved in worldly affairs and being violent. This gives a bad image for Buddhism. However, if they wish to protest to defend themselves of their rights, they should do so in a peaceful manner to voice their dissatisfaction.

The protest/demonstration in Washington, D.C on March 7 organized by the International Shugden Committee (ISC) was peaceful protest. There were no violence or bloodshed. http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/news/700-protesters-in-washington-dc-demanding-religious-freedom/

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 02:05:17 PM »
The sangha, monk or nun wears the robe to signify vows they hold, as protection, practice, renunciation etc. Those who are in robes should not been seen to support or rally in any political activities. More so, sanghas should uphold the Buddhist philosophy to maintain the respect given to them by the lay people. Violence is definitely a No No for any sangha for their represent and promotes peace.

cookie

• Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 10:49:32 AM »
We all have to be careful not to fall for some media which loves to dramatize actual situations. Personally I have been in Bangkok during some of the periods of protest. The current one is mostly peaceful. There may be lots of crowd and traffic congestion or people rallying in public with loud speakers, but in general everyone is just trying to voice their own personal agendas. Whether they are right or not is not for us outsiders to decide, but more an issue which the citizens have to decide. Well, the citizens do include the Sangha. Hence they too have a right in these matters. However it must never get to the point of creating violence. Wrathful actions is not even acceptable in my opinion in these sort of situations. All must keep calm and act in peaceful manner to solve the differences.

Big Uncle

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 07:42:44 AM »
It seems that Issara is either emanating wrath or he is genuinely getting angry. I personally wouldn't get affiliated with politics but I think that people in religion should avoid getting into political affairs as to stop any forms of schism within the monastic institutes and other faiths.

Interesting that you should mention that. As far as I know, Thai Buddhism, which adheres closely to the Theravaden tradition, does not have a lineage of wrathful arhats or practitioners that I know of. They generally do not have great yogis/mahasiddhas who behave in a different manner but bringing blessings and bestowing the teachings in an unconventional way like those in the Mahayana/Vajrayana manner. However, I have heard of straight-talking and smoking arhat highly attained monks. However, I am unsure if this monk Buddha Issara is that attained. The epitome of an arhat monk is one who shuns all displays of emotions and of worldly desires and engages constantly in meditational practices and have a serene disposition.

Manjushri

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »
The act of one or a few person does not represent the entire community of sangha. Yes, there are sanghas that aren't as good but there are also sangha that are extremely pure and holy. People tend to forget that monks are also in samsara, still bound by karma and merits. However, there are monks/nuns who study for years in the monastery, or go into retreats, gain realizations, and is here only to spread the Dharma and benefit others. Depending on the motivation of the sangha member, they can entirely misrepresent what a monk is or they can really benefit others.

People shouldn't base the entire doctrine of Buddhism on the behaviour and actions of a monk, or develop ill-views towards holy sangha members, because the few 'bad' ones that has been encountered does not speak or represent the thousands of other sanghas.