Author Topic: “Shugden Buddhists protest during Dalai Lama’s visit to Berkeley”  (Read 6302 times)

Muriel

http://www.dailycal.org/2014/02/23/shugden-buddhists-protest-dalai-lamas-visit-berkeley/

Many Shugden Buddhists gathered to protest the Dalai Lama the 14th for freedom of religion when He gave a speech about happiness at Berkeley. The protesters argued that He seems to be the man of peace, but indeed causes a lot of pain to the Shugden believers by depriving a lot of benefits by the government solely because of their religious belief. Dalai Lama counter argued that Dorje Shugden, the ancient Tibetan deity is a spirit who is in conflict with the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan government. Also, some followers of the Dalai Lama assert that the protesters might be undercover agents of the Chinese government to attack the Dalai Lama and thus weaken the movement for Tibetan independence from China.

“The Dalai Lama is abusing his religious authority to accomplish his political goals,” independence from China.

What the Dalai Lama wants is democracy unlike Chinese government. However, in democracy, people are the voices and the owners. If their perspectives are not respected, even if there is an excellent leader, nothing will be produced. In fact, that leader won’t be the great one because he/she won’t listen to his followers. Allowing their freedom of religion is a crucial element to democracy because this allows different ideas and perspectives to coexist. Even in classroom settings, both students and teacher learn from each other. In reality, Christians and Muslims learn from each other, too. Yes religion plays a huge role in Tibet, but too much would be theocracy, not democracy. The Dalai Lama really should rethink what he’s doing right now.

wang

No way for HHDL to change his mind.

If he were to accept this religious freedom as basic right in modern time, and allow DS practice as in the old days before 80s, it simply means over 40 years what he is doing till now is wrong, it's an defeat won't be accepted by an old man...

sandra

• Email
I personally think that is wise Dalai Lama now change his mind to remove the ban. More and more people are fighting for their rights for freedom of religion. This is crucial as basic human rights. We do not wish people to think that Dalai Lama is a man of kind that abusing his religious authority to accomplish his political goals. He is a spiritual leader. He has free a lot people from sufferings and not otherwise. This is what we wish to believe who is Dalai Lama. Now to remove the ban is not too late before go into serious and create more sufferings to the Shudgen practitioners. Person like me is also one of the sincere and peaceful protester against the ban. I wish Dalai Lama can remove the ban and all the people can respect each other's religion. World peace is not a dream, will be our destination.

wang

I suppose the impact of  'simply changing his mind' would be more than that...

Would it imply that he did it wrong towards one of his important guru, Trijiang Rinpoche, which further indicate that he broke his samaya, which is impossible for an old monk to accept?

I don't see any news about HHDL transmitting teachings he got from Trijiang Rinpoche in recent years, at least to the public.  Pls inform me if I am wrong...

Big Uncle

The truth of the matter is that the Dalai Lama would never have a change of mind on this matter as he appears to be steadfast in his conviction towards Dorje Shugden. This leads one to think how the ban would eventually come down?

After thinking things through, I believe the Dalai Lama could either proclaim that he has another spiritual insight about Dorje Shugden and release the ban or the ban would eventually dissolve by itself after the Dalai Lama has entered clear light. I would very much prefer the first as the re-establishing Dorje Shugden as a valid practice would be quicker than the other. I would imagine some over-zealous disciples of the Dalai Lama would continue to carry out the ban after his passing. That would delay the ban from coming down. That would indeed be sad. I do hope the Dalai Lama would take the first route though.

prodorjeshugden

• Email
I really admire those protesters who turned up to protest against the Dalai Lama. Indeed the Dalai Lama seems to be a man of peace and he has even got a nobel prize for representing peace, but the thing that baffles me the most is how those people giving the award failed to notice what goes on behind the peaceful face of the Dalai Lama. Behind the scenes are hundreds and thousands of people suffering from the Dorje Shugden ban.
The treatment that Dorje Shugden practitioners get is totally undemocratic and is not what a normal Buddhist would do.

I really hope that the Dorje Shugden ban will come down soon without any violence or Bloodshed.

grandmapele

It is never too late to right a wrong. Schism has no place in human lives. Buddhism is a religion of unity, harmony, love and peace. Violence is wrong, schism is wrong as taught by the Buddha.

Pray for the day when the Dalai Lama deems it right to do the right thing and end suffering of Tibetans; and not make them refugees twice over by having this ban.