Author Topic: Laughter the Best Medicine  (Read 7206 times)

Jessie Fong

Laughter the Best Medicine
« on: January 26, 2014, 03:43:09 PM »
Have you ever laughed so hard that you felt like your sides were splitting?  Was there an incident where you laughed so hard, you forgot what it was that triggered it?

Well ...

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2014/01/laugh-its-good-for-you-tammy-t-stone/

Osho, who has inspired programmes all over the world in which you laugh your way to spiritual health, famously believed that laughing is key to good living.

“Existence loves laughter,” he said.

“You may have observed, or not, that man is the only animal in the whole of existence who is capable of laughing. Laughter is the only distinguishing mark that you are not a buffalo, you are not a donkey; you are a human being. Laughter defines your humanity and your evolution. And the greatest laugh is at your own ridiculous things.”

We probably all have memories of being a kid in class and starting to laugh uncontrollably, usually along with a co-conspirator to the crime. Their laughter triggers you to laugh more, which triggers them, and suddenly: laugh mania.

It can’t be stopped.

We’ve all laughed until we’re almost (or are actually) peeing in our pants. Remembering an inside joke, or a bad joke earnestly rendered or just seeing something mildly, unintentionally ironic can trigger laughter. Shared memories definitely trigger laughter on all sides.

Laughter, they say, is the best medicine. It’s a win-win activity, since you get to be happy and because being happy is good for you (unless you’re a teacher trying to get a few kernels of knowledge across to a roomful of giggling students).

RedLantern

Re: Laughter the Best Medicine
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 04:24:05 PM »
Having a positive outlook and a sense of humor may or may not  be good things for one's body but they are certainly essential towards the building of one's soul.
Not all laughter is the result of seeing ,hearing or doing something funny either.The 'pathological causes of laughter 'could be epilepsy.cerebral tumors,stroked,multiple sclerosis and other causes.The benefits included are reduce anger,anxiety,depression,stress,tension  and work

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:31:24 PM »
I agree with RedLantern. Though I certainly feel that having a good laugh is healthy for you, both physically, as it actually works a lot of muscles, and spiritual in that it creates a sense of joy and peace that one should try to cultivate, Laughing can certainly be a sign of something else. For example, I know that I myself laugh when I'm extremely nervous. I've done it all my life, it's a psychological response.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:29:34 AM »
Yes. Laughter is the best medicine insofar as this life is concern. Laughter mades of body better biologically and our mind is more at each. Everything being equal, laughing is better than not seeing the lighter side of life's absurdity. Because we still have life's problem either way. Must as well have some humor. At least we are happier.

In the practice of the Dharma, one also need to laugh ie be joyful and is part of the paramita of effort. Otherwise, one will find it hard to sustain one's practice. As everyone wants happiness ultimately, laughter is a sign of happiness (though not necessary all the time..for a madman also laugh a lot) and given one is not mad, the joy of laughter will attract others to the Dharma.

So fellow practitioner. Laugh....haha!

cookie

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
Laughter is indeed special. It has even become a means for bringing people to Dharma , ie through the manifestation of the Laughing Buddha.The Laughing Buddha also known as Buddha of Happiness or Matreiya in Buddhism. This jolly deity is the supreme symbol of joy and wellbeing and vision of happiness. In fact he is used as an enhancer in attaining almost all areas of positive aspirations such as wealth, success, good health, abundance, career and children.
Legend has it that the Laughing Buddha is based on the life of a Buddhist monk who lived in the 10th century China. He was a bit too eccentric for a monk, but his loving ways and jovial countenance soon earned him many followers. He is considered a reincarnation of Gautama Buddha and is most welcome and loved everywhere he goes as he brings the energy of light heartedness, joy and laughter.

diablo1974

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 07:36:42 AM »
Laughter is a good emotional expression that cures many of our negative and physical breakdowns accordin to scientific studies. I heard that laughing can also be a form of meditation  to relieve stress and some ailments especially mental illnesses. So i personally think its good to laugh and smile freely with our heart.

brian

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 05:53:39 PM »
Laughing can cure a lot of sickness really. The best medicine for depression perhaps. Any breakdowns in emotions can be best cured by laughter. The extend of the medicine, although hard to start but once started, can make us forget what got us angry about. While i am not sure about the manifestation of laughing Buddha in the world of Buddhism, but for obvious reasons, laughter is recognised to be a good medication for sadness

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
Yes. Laughter is definitely the best medicine. Even the doctors will agree to that. If the heart is heavy I'm sure even with medication it will not cure so fast. If we laugh it out or scream it out loud it really relieves the mind and the heart.
Therefore. Smile and laugh always.

angelica

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 03:51:02 AM »
I agreed with the statement that laughter is the best medicine. When we laugh, we can fill our lung with lots of oxygen, at the same time it help to release stress. According to some articles regarding health, by laughing, can strengthened our immune system, boost our enery and diminish pain. Laughter can be contagious, can help binding relationship and create happy environment. The most important is this medicine is free!!!!!!

Manjushri

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 05:06:04 PM »
I love laughing..especially when I start laughing over the silliest, most absurd and random things. And really, sometimes when you start, you can't stop. The smallest thing could trigger off a laughing fit and it'll end your day, or afternoon or night on a high.  All the serotonin in you has been released and you just feel good. Having the right company to laugh over the smallest things is also essential. Afteralll, Dharma is to bring joy to those around you, and if you can through laughter, why not! On the side, you also get to exercise your pecs. haha. laugh away!

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 02:38:08 AM »
Laughter is the perfect solution to relieve stress. A good laugh has both short-term and long-term effects that lightens our mind mentally and induces physical changes too in the body as it stimulates many organs.

Basically, it increases our intake of oxygen-rich air, stimulates our heart, lungs, muscles and increases endorphins released by our brain. It stimulates circulation and helps muscles to relax to reduce some physical symptoms of stress.

hope rainbow

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 10:34:01 AM »
Laughing makes us feel good indeed, but are we (1) laughing at the expenses of someone, in a negative laugh, or are we (2) sharing a happy moment or are we (3) laughing at our own expense?

I think that laughing at someone else's expenses may not be the best medicine, for it may also hurt.
We all know that classic joke of the banana peel left on the side walk onto which someone will slip and fall, oh that is funny indeed... But can we laugh at our self falling on the banana peel? Can we "take it" that others may be laughing?

Laughing is the best medicine indeed, but not if someone gets hurt in the process, I think.

Positive Change

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 09:46:20 AM »
The Health Benefits of Humor and Laughter

Humor is infectious. The sound of roaring laughter is far more contagious than any cough, sniffle, or sneeze. When laughter is shared, it binds people together and increases happiness and intimacy. Laughter also triggers healthy physical changes in the body. Humor and laughter strengthen your immune system, boost your energy, diminish pain, and protect you from the damaging effects of stress. Best of all, this priceless medicine is fun, free, and easy to use.

Laughter is strong medicine for mind and body

Laughter is a powerful antidote to stress, pain, and conflict. Nothing works faster or more dependably to bring your mind and body back into balance than a good laugh. Humor lightens your burdens, inspires hopes, connects you to others, and keeps you grounded, focused, and alert.

With so much power to heal and renew, the ability to laugh easily and frequently is a tremendous resource for surmounting problems, enhancing your relationships, and supporting both physical and emotional health.

Laughter is good for your health

Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.

Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.

Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.

Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.

The Benefits of Laughter

Physical Health Benefits:
Boosts immunity
Lowers stress hormones
Decreases pain
Relaxes your muscles
Prevents heart disease

Mental Health Benefits:
Adds joy and zest to life
Eases anxiety and fear
Relieves stress
Improves mood
Enhances resilience

Social Benefits:
Strengthens relationships
Attracts others to us
Enhances teamwork
Helps defuse conflict
Promotes group bonding

Read more here... Article extracted from: http://www.helpguide.org/life/humor_laughter_health.htm