Author Topic: More iconography of Dorje Shugden  (Read 3760 times)

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
More iconography of Dorje Shugden
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:48:42 PM »
The iconography of the King Protector has always been a fascinating one but as we investigate further into it, we begin to see greater details of the character and function of this emanation of Manjushri.

The flaming sword of Manjushri of course symbolizes the Wisdom that is required to cut through the Ignorance of man that keeps them in samsara. The difference between Manjushri's sword and the sword that Dorje Shugden (as wrathful Manjushri) wields is that the Protector's sword is depicted as having a wavy blade. This is interesting because the wave bladed sword actually reflects the character of the Indonesian spirit-sword (keris) which is known to demand the enemy's blood once drawn and furthermore, the wavy design also resembles the the Tibetan 'water-knife' used to gut fish.

Combined the wavy sword of Dorje Shugden that is drawn and held aloft, reflects the Protector's strong and intense plan to draw blood of the enemy of man's liberation which is Ignorance. In Tibetan Buddhism the 'water-knife' is also used to symbolize the severing of cyclic existence or samsara as the wavy water knife cuts away the guts (emptiness of inherent existence), scales (phenomenal appearances), heads (cycle of birth and rebirth) and tails (karmic propensities) of all sentient beings. So more than just providing Wisdom, Dorje Shugden aggressively seeks to liberate the practitioner from the trap of samsara.

In addition, older thangkas of Dorje Shugden shows the Protector to be holding the enemy's heart close to his open mouth as if to eat the heart. In Tibetan Buddhist iconography, the tearing and eating of an enemy's heart with a curvy knife symbolizes the severance of the root of the 5 kleshas which are Ignorance, Attachment, Aversion, Pride and Jealousy and their transformation (through eating) into the five Buddha Wisdoms. (Page 165, Handbook Of Tibetan Buddhist Symbols-R.Beer)

In my opinion, these additional two iconographic details hint at Dorje Shugden's tremendous ability in getting the practitioner out of samsara, beyond being a powerful and highly compassionate and efficacious Dharma Protector.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:55:19 PM by vajratruth »

Q

Re: More iconography of Dorje Shugden
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 03:57:31 PM »
Thank you for sharing.

I love Buddhist deity iconography. One thing I find it really fascinating is how the iconography of Buddhist deities help us to attain or combat the poisons of delusions and ignorance, although we may not know the meaning of the iconography, but subconsciously, just looking at the Buddha statue, we gain the benefit of it. I suppose it is for this reason that many interior decorators use the Buddha's image for a peaceful, calming ambiance.

Manjushri is my favourite Buddhist deity. I can look at his image all day lol! Yes I'm a little obsessed. I suppose it is my liking for Manjushri that made me love Dorje Shugden so much as well.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:34:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing that Vajratruth. This is the third instance i have come across of the link with Indonesia and Tibetan Buddhism. The first was of course Atisha's teacher, Dharmak?rti, who hailed from Sumatra, Indonesia. Now you mention the similarity to the Indonesian sword - the keris. How exotic!

The second was Borobudur, which is a 9th-century Mahayana Buddhist Temple in Magelang, Central Java, Indonesia. I have been dying to visit Borobudur, personally! And Borobudur is a favourite place of Lama Gangchen Rinpoche, who is a renowned Dorje Shugden lama.

I just wonder if there are other links between Indonesia and Dorje Shugden or Tibetan Buddhism.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Gabby Potter

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 08:20:32 PM »
Thank you for sharing Vajratruth, I have learnt 2 extra new things today. Yes, the iconography of Lord Dorje Shugden may be a bit too straightforward, but I think that this is the simplest way to allow people to understand Him better.