Author Topic: What is left?  (Read 5376 times)

RedLantern

What is left?
« on: August 11, 2013, 05:46:36 PM »
When we practice mindfulness of the body,we focus on the decay and ending of our body.We focus on seeing that the body does not endure and that it can't be what we call our self.
Every day death keeps happening to us, but it is a hidden way of dying,not the obvious death of the body.One can see it is in fact that things change.We die from being a child when we become adults.This too is death.Even entering the period of life when one's body deteriorates and can't be control as easily as before is death.The various constituents of life do what they are supposed to do and simply fall apart.Earth goes to earth,water goes to water and fire goes to fire and wind goes to wind.Is there anything left that we can take as belonging to us?

DS Star

Re: What is left?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 09:50:06 PM »
What is left is our deeds or our 'karma' seeds, that we will be carrying with us to take rebirth in our future lives.

We cannot take anything from our physical form to go with us... that is why we must always be mindful of our actions in this life for we will be receiving the results sooner or later...

Mindful of death, this life disintegrates
as swiftly as a bubble in turbulent water,
and after death my good and bad
Karma will follow me like my shadow.

diablo1974

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 02:57:29 AM »
The Buddha urged us to prepare for death, to prepare for that journey by cleansing the mind and not being so attached to things, to be able to let go and release ourselves for needing to be, from needing to have. Through this we will not suffer so much as we pass through the final stage of the present life, we can let go, be grateful for what we had but not clutch to it, not try to ensure permanency and cause ourselves to suffer more than we need to. This way we can end the cycle and leave forever, obtaining nirvana and release from the cycle of death and rebirth.

dondrup

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 02:50:02 PM »
Every phenomenon arises upon the gathering of its causes and conditions.  When these causes and conditions are no longer applicable, the phenomenon ceases. Every rising of phenomenon leads to a cessation of phenomenon. Every cessation of that phenomenon will lead to another rising of phenomenon. This cycle continues repeatedly in samsara. This observation of cessation of phenomenon is also known as impermanence of phenomenon. Hence all the things that we have come into  contact with in our life will not remain with us forever. Even we have to abandon our body upon our death!  Realising impermanence means that we must let go of our attachment to everything in this life.

Tenzin K

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:21:58 PM »
I think what important is what we do best and beneficial as we still have this body that still conducive.
There is nothing left when we die and what follows us is our karma which will determine our future. As long as we still live within the 6 realms we will still go round and round but being in human realms with the opportune condition is our great chance to make a different.

I always tell myself that there is nothing left out I die and what important is now as I’m still a live and I’m able to make a different to prepare my next life. That is how the Dharma teaching is so important at this degenerate time to teach us the method how we can live our life beneficially and so others. It’s a great realization for me not to waste and follow through the guidance of our Guru and with the help from the practice of the great protector Lord Shugden to assist in my practice.

Our live is impermanent and instead of think what I can enjoy now while it still available we should do what it is going to benefit our future.

fruven

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 06:13:09 PM »
We are like immortals but trapped from life to life in different bodies. Having no memories of before when one move on to another life. Even if you are born repeatedly as a human but without any of your past memories and you say you postpone your practice to next life while you enjoy your current life. However why would you need to practice if you have the high chance to be a human again? How can we be so sure we are human again if we cannot remember our past memories? If we always lose our memories isn't it a waste of time to always relearning everything? However there are those who we label as talented, gifted, we admire them for being able to pickup things quickly. Isn't it saying that some form of memory doesn't get lost? And we do carry those to our next lives?

pgdharma

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »
It is a fallacy to believe that a person would remain the same person during his entire life time. He changes every moment. Old cells in our bodies die and new ones are forming. Impermanence and change are the undeniable truths of our existence.

The only thing that can help us at the time of death is our mental/spiritual development because all that will go on to the next life is our mind with its karmic (positive or negative) imprints. Our worldly possessions such as wealth, position, money can't help us at the time of death.  Our family and friends cannot prevent death nor go with us. Even our own precious body is of no help to us. We have to leave it all behind.