Author Topic: COLLECTION OF NEWS CLIPS, ARTICLES, VIDEO FOOTAGE ETC.  (Read 89980 times)

indolent1

Re: COLLECTION OF NEWS CLIPS, ARTICLES, VIDEO FOOTAGE ETC.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 11:15:49 PM »
Is it bad form to reply to your own mail, or just a sign that you need some sleep?

Thinking about Vanessa Baird's article on the New Internationalist site, it's so badly researched, reminiscent of the type of comments you get on web forums rather then in a serious newspaper, it kind of sounds to me like she may have a conflict of interest. It may be worth checking this with her co-editors.

Atishas cook

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 11:21:16 PM »
Oxford today (May 30th 2008):
Small | Large

a friend

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 04:22:46 AM »
This post by Mark Charan Newton in his own blog quotes another blog, the SEVENOAK JOURNAL, that you will find next.
It's most moving to read what these young people write, just very simply, with their hearts.
They are free thinkers, their hearts are able to beat with human feelings, they are not poisoned by the cult of the Dalai Lama. Very interesting. May be our hopes lie on these type of media. So far the mass media are not acting as decent journalists should. I suggest that we go searching for these people and write in their blogs.

Mark Charan Newton

Dalai Lama vs Religious Freedom
May 26th, 2008 · 2 Comments

Some of you might know I’ve an active interest in Buddhism. I’m really not someone to get involved in political view on this blog, but it’s worth knowing a few things such as commented here. I’ll quote big chunks, because he’s more eloquent than me on this subject! I feel the need to put this out there because the western media aren’t really covering the issue in any sufficient detail—and as with any subject you might know enough about, the media do a poor job in covering things well.

So why are Buddhists demonstrating against the Dalai Lama? Because, over the past decade, the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan Government in exile have been spearheading a drive to persuade Tibetans, and the wider Tibetan Buddhist community, to stop their involvement in the practice of a particular Buddhist deity called Dorje Shugden.

Now, the word ‘deity’ in Buddhism means the same as ‘buddha’; Dorje Shugden has historically been viewed as an enlightened being, on the same level as the buddha who taught in ancient India.

Many high Lamas in Tibet praised the practice of Dorje Shudgen; these Lamas included someone called Trijang Rinpoche, one of the current Dalai Lama’s tutors (now deceased). It’s safe to say that until recently, the practice has been revered and respected by generations of Buddhists, and has done no harm to anyone.

Despite all this though, the Dalai Lama is encouraging Tibetans to abandon the practice on the grounds that it harms the cause of Tibetan freedom, and is ’spirit worship’. He has not revealed evidence for these claims, despite repeated requests from Buddhist practitioners who are concerned about the mounting persecution and violence that’s happening as a result of the Dalai Lama’s efforts to destroy the practice. This persecution includes the refusal to grant ID cards to Tibetans who will not give up the practice, refusal to admit the children of Dorje Shugden practitioners to schools in the exiled Tibetan community, and death threats against those who continue with the practice.

There’s a campaign worth being aware of at the Western Shugden Society and videos like the one below showing some of the real situation faced by many Buddhist practitioners. Stay with it, and there are some more you can follow on this series on YouTube. Particularly moving is the second part.

http://blog.markcnewton.com/2008/05/26/dalai-lama-vs-religious-freedom-2/#comment-208

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 04:53:41 AM by a friend »

a friend

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 04:27:05 AM »
SEVENOAK JOURNAL// DESIGN/ DEVELOPMENT / FUN

Unreal
18 May 08

Ok, so I don’t normally go in for religious politics, or politics in general. But this is something I feel really strongly about and, in fact, isn’t about religious politics at all; it’s more about religious freedom.

You may or may not be aware that the HH Dalai Lama of Tibet is on a sort of tour of Europe at the moment; he was in Germany recently and is due in the UK soon. He’s also been to the USA recently. In all of these places, he has been met with demonstrations. Yes, demonstrations; and by Buddhists, too.

So why are Buddhists demonstrating against the Dalai Lama? Because, over the past decade, the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan Government in exile have been spearheading a drive to persuade Tibetans, and the wider Tibetan Buddhist community, to stop their involvement in the practice of a particular Buddhist deity called Dorje Shugden.

Now, the word ‘deity’ in Buddhism means the same as ‘buddha’; Dorje Shugden has historically been viewed as an enlightened being, on the same level as the buddha who taught in ancient India. Many high Lamas in Tibet praised the practice of Dorje Shudgen; these Lamas included someone called Trijang Rinpoche, one of the current Dalai Lama’s tutors (now deceased). It’s safe to say that until recently, the practice has been revered and respected by generations of Buddhists, and has done no harm to anyone.

Despite all this though, the Dalai Lama is encouraging Tibetans to abandon the practice on the grounds that it harms the cause of Tibetan freedom, and is ’spirit worship’. He has not revealed evidence for these claims, despite repeated requests from Buddhist practitioners who are concerned about the mounting persecution and violence that’s happening as a result of the Dalai Lama’s efforts to destroy the practice. This persecution includes the refusal to grant ID cards to Tibetans who will not give up the practice, refusal to admit the children of Dorje Shugden practitioners to schools in the exiled Tibetan community, and death threats against those who continue with the practice.

It sounds unreal, doesn’t it? Buddhists persecuting Buddhists, protests, criticisms of the Dalai Lama (respected peacemaker and all-round world celebrity). You may well be thinking that it’s nonsense, but there’s plenty of evidence for what I’ve just said (I wish it were nonsense). I know that there are Tibetan teachers in America who haven’t spoken to their families in India for decades — their families are forbidden to contact them because they will not give up the Dorje Shugden practice.

This is not right. Buddhist or not, no one should be persecuted for adhering to a peaceful practice that has been quietly handed down from generation to generation. One Tibetan, interviewed for Swiss TV, said (I’m paraphrasing slightly):

In some ways, this is worse than what China did to Tibet. When the Chinese invaded, they harmed us outwardly, but this ban on the Dorje Shugden practice is far worse because it harms out spiritual practice, it harms our hearts.

You can see part of the interview on YouTube - it’s towards the end of the clip.

To date, there is no evidence to support the Dalai Lama’s claims that the Dorje Shugden practice harms the cause of Tibetan freedom, or for the claim that it provokes threats to the Dalai Lama’s own life. If you believe that this should stop, please read the information, make your own mind up, and consider signing the petition asking the Dalai Lama to give religious freedom to Dorje Shugden practitioners. We’re lucky enough to have the freedom to sign petitions and do what we like with our time; let’s help others to enjoy the same freedom. Thanks.

http://www.sevenoakjournal.co.uk/2008/05/18/unreal/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 04:54:17 AM by a friend »

sevenoakjournal

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 07:17:20 PM »
Hi, I write the Sevenoak Journal; I wanted to thank whoever linked to my blog for publicising the post. It's an important issue and deserves much more publicity.

Drop by to the journal and comment on the article if you'd like to :)

http://www.sevenoakjournal.co.uk/2008/05/18/unreal/

Thanks

James

James

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 05:38:31 PM »
Here's  Michael Backman's article in the Age (Australia)

Selling Tibet to the world

http://business.theage.com.au/selling-tibet-to-the-world-20080604-2lx7.html

jeff Ryan

• Email

DSFriend

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 01:07:06 PM »
Dear Admin (or anyone who could advice)

I'm not sure if this is the right treat to keep it in...but I'd like to request to have book recommendations for Tibetan Buddhism, our lineage teachings, lineage masters etc. Thought it'd be wonderful for newbies like me to read and to use this forum for some interesting book discussions :)

much thanks
DK

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »

diamond girl

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 08:27:46 PM »
Dear Loneranger,

Thank you for your link on the forced swearing imposed on Dorje Shugden practitioners. I have read a lot on this ban and the forceful impositions by HH. However, I have never actually seen a picture of the Identity Card as in your link. Seeing this card put a sadness in my heart. Many many purely out of fear of being outcast swore and got this card.  I can imagine for those forced to relinquish their DS practice must be reminded of their "disloyalty" everytime they saw this card. Must be so hard to live with this internal conflict.

This ban must be lifted now so that they can be freed.

dsnowlion

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 10:17:02 PM »
Dear TS,

Thank you for posting up the poster/flyer on Shar Gaden's Dubcho ritual! It is so nice to see the throne set up for HE Gaden Trisur Rinpoche :) It inspire many who are not able to openly practice Dorje Shugden and give us great strength in keeping our practice up.

Cheers!

Buddha

• Email
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 01:08:05 AM »
Dorje Shugden Five Lineages

Small | Large

I love these statues and i could watch this video all day. I took some buddhist art classes from the guy who made these.

jeff Ryan

• Email

Lord Drakpa

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »

Thank you for posting this. Seeing a throne of Trisur Rinpoche in Shar Gaden is another indication that the practice of Dorje Shugden is not harmful as claimed by HHDL. Looks like the contradiction has a higher purpose as many people suspect based on logic.

thaimonk

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 07:04:20 PM »

Thank you for posting this. Seeing a throne of Trisur Rinpoche in Shar Gaden is another indication that the practice of Dorje Shugden is not harmful as claimed by HHDL. Looks like the contradiction has a higher purpose as many people suspect based on logic.

I like your conclusions Lord Drakpa.