Author Topic: China should recognise Dalai Lama as religious leader  (Read 5674 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
China should recognise Dalai Lama as religious leader
« on: February 27, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »
This is an interesting article, in a Christian website, no less, which is advocating that China recognises HH the Dalai Lama as a religious leader. I take it in a positive light, that the Archbishop is calling for a spiritual leader of a different religion to be recognised.

However, I would also like to call upon this compassionate Archbishop, in the spirit of religious freedom and respect for different beliefs, to also request the Dalai Lama to firstly, immediately ask Tibetans to stop self-immolations as this is contrary to any religious principles.

Secondly, to ask the Dalai Lama to please lift the ban on Dorje Shugden so that many oppressed Dorje Shugden followers the world over will be able to continue their religious practice without fear nor favour.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/china.should.recognise.dalai.lama.as.religious.leader/31729.htm
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 13:18 (GMT)

The Archbishop of York has asked the Government to raise with China the recognition of the Dalai Lama as a religious leader.

In a debate in the House of Lords on Tibet, Dr John Sentamu noted that the Dalai Lama was not only a spiritual and religious leader for the people of Tibet, but recognised the world over.

"Will the Government nevertheless impress upon the Chinese Government that they should recognise and respect the Dalai Lama as a religious leader and not as a political leader?

"If they did that, it is possible that they would then have a dialogue," he said.

A similar suggestion was made by Lord Steel of Aikwood, who said that dialogue between the Chinese authorities and the Dalai Lama as a spiritual leader could bring an end to dozens of self-immolations by pro-Tibet protesters.

Baroness Warsi, Senior Minister of State at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, said the UK Government was "deeply concerned" about the high number of self-immolations in Tibet and that its concerns were being raised "regularly" with the Chinese authorities.

She said Tibet had been discussed in the last round of the annual UK-China human rights dialogue in January 2012, although she was unable to confirm whether the Government had raised the suggestion of China recognising the Dalai Lama as a religious leader.

Baroness Warsi said the UK Government was concerned about the "lack of meaningful dialogue" with Tibet to address the underlying grievances in a "clearly worsening situation".

"We continue to encourage all parties to work for a resumption of substantive dialogue as a means to address the Tibetan concerns and to relieve tensions," she said.

"Of course, we continue to make the case to China that any economic progress can be sustained only if there is social progress as well."
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
Re: China should recognise Dalai Lama as religious leader
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:11:11 AM »
Hi WB, thanks for the article but lemme point out a few interesting things:

- The reason why is it on a Christian website is because they know that China prefers Buddhism over Christianity. On that basis, if China accepts the Dalai Lama as a religious leader, they would also have a chance to accept the pope as the religious leader of the Christians in China.

- But, the reason why China does not want a religious leader in this way is because they do not wish for their citizens to be controlled by religion which might lead to splits and misunderstandings. China has been working very hard for the last 50-60 years to maintain a balance between the many races and communities that are of various races and religions, and it only takes a very slight disturbance in this balance to create chaos...which is why China is always afraid of people that might divide them.

But what would be very powerful would be for the Archbishop to talk about the Dorje Shugden ban and make the Dalai Lama answer and explain to him and to the people of the world of the discriminations that are being faced by Dorje Shugden practitioners around the world.

beggar

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:29:33 AM »
But what would be very powerful would be for the Archbishop to talk about the Dorje Shugden ban and make the Dalai Lama answer and explain to him and to the people of the world of the discriminations that are being faced by Dorje Shugden practitioners around the world.

This is a good point and I agree with this.

I think that for China to acknowledge the Dalai Lama as a religious leader, it could also have adverse effects for Buddhist practitioners. It could very well be seen as endorsement from the world's largest country (and almost largest economy) for his many religious actions and edicts, including those that infringe upon human rights.

If China acknowledges the Dalai Lama as a leader, that is to say that they also acknowledge his right and authority to make the 'right' decisions for his religion - that could mean that the Dalai Lama and all of the CTA then regard this as complete endorsement of their religious ban on Dorje Shugden, of their contrary decisions on the Karmapa and on their very indifference, quiet stance towards self-immolations.

I think that perhaps China's non-recognition and 'dislike' of the Dalai Lama could actually be a good thing as it somehow indirectly draws attention to the many things within the Tibetan Buddhist world that could be improved - human rights, religious freedoms, the alleged used of foreign funds to enforce this religious restrictions etc.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 03:23:23 AM »

This is a good point and I agree with this.

I think that for China to acknowledge the Dalai Lama as a religious leader, it could also have adverse effects for Buddhist practitioners. It could very well be seen as endorsement from the world's largest country (and almost largest economy) for his many religious actions and edicts, including those that infringe upon human rights.

If China acknowledges the Dalai Lama as a leader, that is to say that they also acknowledge his right and authority to make the 'right' decisions for his religion - that could mean that the Dalai Lama and all of the CTA then regard this as complete endorsement of their religious ban on Dorje Shugden, of their contrary decisions on the Karmapa and on their very indifference, quiet stance towards self-immolations.

I think that perhaps China's non-recognition and 'dislike' of the Dalai Lama could actually be a good thing as it somehow indirectly draws attention to the many things within the Tibetan Buddhist world that could be improved - human rights, religious freedoms, the alleged used of foreign funds to enforce this religious restrictions etc.

Eventually, as of now, it is difficult to talk about the Dalai Lama without associating him with the Dorje Shugden ban now, and also a string of other problems, the Dorje Shugden ban being the primary topic because how can the Dalai Lama promote freedom on one hand and surpress people from practicing what they want on the other. The American PR machine has been working very hard to paint the Dalai Lama in a very good light and also tuned down all of the negativities of the Dalai Lama including the Dorje Shugden ban and made it seem as if there was no ban at all that is taking place, but with the advent of the internet, more and more people will discover this little dark secret. I believe that if CTA pushes China in the wrong way, they will have their dirty laundry aired by China, such as the secret fundings and also about the blatant abuse of human rights when it comes to the Dorje Shugden ban.

kris

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 08:37:04 AM »
How can a religious leader be so "unkind" and caused so much suffering to the monks, practitioners and community of Dorje Shugden?

I do agree with Ensapa and WisdomBeing that we need a figure to represent each religion but the purpose for such figure is must be clear. I would say the main purpose of promoting religious harmony, world peace and compassion for all sentient beings. We don't need another religious header who provokes others and cause even more suffering.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 01:57:13 PM »
How can a religious leader be so "unkind" and caused so much suffering to the monks, practitioners and community of Dorje Shugden?

I do agree with Ensapa and WisdomBeing that we need a figure to represent each religion but the purpose for such figure is must be clear. I would say the main purpose of promoting religious harmony, world peace and compassion for all sentient beings. We don't need another religious header who provokes others and cause even more suffering.

I believe that the Dalai Lama could have imposed the ban because he does not want to return to Tibet, I mean, he has so much power here in Dharamsala, he can easily influence the other lineages as well as the large amount of western students, in addition to all the refugees in Dharamsala and the CIA's backing. Because without Dorje Shugden's help, it is very clear that there will be no future for CTA because they are on the losing end at the end of the day: the high Lamas that can literally move mountains and have huge influence over the Chinese are also Dorje Shugden Lamas, and those could easily help CTA enter talks with China but too bad for CTA, they are out of reach and the CTA even stupidly wants them dead. Good luck CTA!

DharmaDefender

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 12:36:50 PM »
This is an interesting article, in a Christian website, no less, which is advocating that China recognises HH the Dalai Lama as a religious leader. I take it in a positive light, that the Archbishop is calling for a spiritual leader of a different religion to be recognised.

However, I would also like to call upon this compassionate Archbishop, in the spirit of religious freedom and respect for different beliefs, to also request the Dalai Lama to firstly, immediately ask Tibetans to stop self-immolations as this is contrary to any religious principles.

Secondly, to ask the Dalai Lama to please lift the ban on Dorje Shugden so that many oppressed Dorje Shugden followers the world over will be able to continue their religious practice without fear nor favour.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/china.should.recognise.dalai.lama.as.religious.leader/31729.htm
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 13:18 (GMT)

The Archbishop of York has asked the Government to raise with China the recognition of the Dalai Lama as a religious leader.

In a debate in the House of Lords on Tibet, Dr John Sentamu noted that the Dalai Lama was not only a spiritual and religious leader for the people of Tibet, but recognised the world over.

"Will the Government nevertheless impress upon the Chinese Government that they should recognise and respect the Dalai Lama as a religious leader and not as a political leader?

"If they did that, it is possible that they would then have a dialogue," he said.

A similar suggestion was made by Lord Steel of Aikwood, who said that dialogue between the Chinese authorities and the Dalai Lama as a spiritual leader could bring an end to dozens of self-immolations by pro-Tibet protesters.

Baroness Warsi, Senior Minister of State at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, said the UK Government was "deeply concerned" about the high number of self-immolations in Tibet and that its concerns were being raised "regularly" with the Chinese authorities.

She said Tibet had been discussed in the last round of the annual UK-China human rights dialogue in January 2012, although she was unable to confirm whether the Government had raised the suggestion of China recognising the Dalai Lama as a religious leader.

Baroness Warsi said the UK Government was concerned about the "lack of meaningful dialogue" with Tibet to address the underlying grievances in a "clearly worsening situation".

"We continue to encourage all parties to work for a resumption of substantive dialogue as a means to address the Tibetan concerns and to relieve tensions," she said.

"Of course, we continue to make the case to China that any economic progress can be sustained only if there is social progress as well."

The Archbishop of York and the Baroness couldve been a lot more strongly worded when it came to their statements, especially when the Archbishop knows that the Chinese would never recognise the Dalai Lama as a religious leader simply because they do not officially recognise any religions. And if the Baroness really gave a toss, she would have made it a point to find out whether our govt had raise the suggestion during the last annual dialogue in 2012.

So I think this is another case of empty vessels making the most noise...hollow words to make it seem like their standing up for something.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 06:43:30 AM »
The Archbishop of York and the Baroness couldve been a lot more strongly worded when it came to their statements, especially when the Archbishop knows that the Chinese would never recognise the Dalai Lama as a religious leader simply because they do not officially recognise any religions. And if the Baroness really gave a toss, she would have made it a point to find out whether our govt had raise the suggestion during the last annual dialogue in 2012.

So I think this is another case of empty vessels making the most noise...hollow words to make it seem like their standing up for something.

Perhaps, they had their own agendas when voicing out, that they wanted to penetrate the Chinese spiritually and spread their gospel there. If the Chinese accepts the Dalai Lama, then there would be a chance that they would also accept a Christian leader that is not controlled by the state, and that is where the Archbishop comes into play. There are many underground christians in China and Christianity is suppressed as the Chinese fear that it would bring disharmony. China appoints their state approved Archbishop and does not have any ties to the Vatican, or to any other churches around the world, so perhaps the Archbishop hopes China will change this.