Author Topic: I was a hypocrite: Dalai Lama  (Read 15742 times)

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
I was a hypocrite: Dalai Lama
« on: December 15, 2012, 06:55:35 PM »
PTI Aug 10, 2011, 10.39pm IST

NEW DELHI: The Dalai Lama on Wednesday said he was a "hypocrite" all these years as he held spiritual and political responsibilities together in spite of knowing that these two matters should be separate.

The Tibetan spiritual leader, who recently gave up his the political responsibility, said "now I feel I am committed to what I have been saying all these years."

"Religious and political institutions should be separate but while I was saying this, I combined the two myself until now... So in a way it was being a hypocrite," he said in a lighter vein at a function at the National Commission for Minorities.

Yes, spiritual power and political power in the same hands is indeed a formula for tragedy as history has shown time and time again and it appears the Dalai Lama admits to that. Nowhere is this deadly mix more apparent in modern history than the Dalai Lama’s [ab]use of political apparatus to carry out persecutions on his own people based on His Holiness’s own prejudice.

whatever his real intentions were, the Dalai Lama did that by shrewdly suggesting that the peaceful practice of a religious belief is the chief political obstacle to Tibetan independence (forgetting that while Tibet was forcibly annexed by China by military means, it was the Dalai Lama himself who traded away the hopes of Tibet’s independence in Strasbourg) and that the practitioners of that belief are enemies of the state and to be treated as such.

By applying his formidable spiritual power on the CTA (then TGIE), the Dalai Lama turned a state machinery that was struggling to build its democratic spirit into nothing more than a personal political lackey and in the process severely damaged both the spiritual and political character and credibility of Tibet. The ensuing result that continues until today has turned a quiet exile town into a stage where scenes reminiscent of Salem’s witch trials are still being played out to Tibetans’ great shame.

What the CTA should do now is repair its reputation and work toward undoing the damage it did whilst it was serving as the Dalai Lama’s political weapon. The CTA should immediately remove the ban on Dorje Shugden and officially impose sanction on acts of discrimination against worshippers of the deity. Such a move should be taken by the CTA neither as an act for nor against Dorje Shugden, but as act in defense of the CTA’s democratic values.

Aurore

Re: I was a hypocrite: Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »
Could it be the Dalai Lama is trying to communicate to the world that he indeed is a hypocrite in more than one way.

All his actions and behaviours in relation to Dorje Shugden are contradictory and hypocritical.

"As you know, I always believed, since all different traditions have the same potential to bring inner peace, inner value, . . . it is important to keep one's own tradition," quotes the Dalai Lama

1. Preaching non-violent and religious tolerance, while suppressing religious freedom within the Dorje Shugden practitioners
2. Saying one thing to everyone in the West, but his own ruling he engages in a systematic calculated political religious repression

Since the Dalai Lama can openly admits of being a hypocrite, it's possible for the Dalai Lama to be a hypocrite when it comes to the Dorje Shugden matter as well. Perhaps His Holiness is subtlety hinting that to the world.

dsiluvu

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 08:16:26 PM »
PTI Aug 10, 2011, 10.39pm IST

NEW DELHI: The Dalai Lama on Wednesday said he was a "hypocrite" all these years as he held spiritual and political responsibilities together in spite of knowing that these two matters should be separate.

The Tibetan spiritual leader, who recently gave up his the political responsibility, said "now I feel I am committed to what I have been saying all these years."

"Religious and political institutions should be separate but while I was saying this, I combined the two myself until now... So in a way it was being a hypocrite," he said in a lighter vein at a function at the National Commission for Minorities.

Oh My BUDDHA! I cannot believe my eyes and ears???? Dod His Holiness actually say that... really??? WOW.

Do you know what this can mean and can turn out to be.... YES it seems like the tide is slowly shifting. If His Holiness can come out and see he is a "hypocrite" then eventually we can say that the Dorje Shugden Ban is a HUGE HYPOCRITICAL MOVE and well might as well admit it since His Gurus like Trijang RInpoche can be wrong... His Holiness can be wrong too!!!

Oh this is wonderful and the thing is His Holiness, being so loved and so well respected... even if if He came out and say it openly He made a mistake, no one is really going to hold a grudge against His Holiness. And it could actually appear that His Holiness is ever more so humble and inspiring... I would applaud such a statement!

Yes it is important to keep to one's tradition His Holiness! Please allow us to keep ours and Free your own people in discrimination please?!   

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:25:45 PM »

Oh this is wonderful and the thing is His Holiness, being so loved and so well respected... even if if He came out and say it openly He made a mistake, no one is really going to hold a grudge against His Holiness. And it could actually appear that His Holiness is ever more so humble and inspiring... I would applaud such a statement!

Dsiluvu, unfortunately the Dalai Lama also said he felt "committed" to what he had been saying all this time. That says to me that His Holiness feels that he is obliged to stick to his claims, but at the same time it is a hint to the CTA to correct his "mistake".

You could say that up until the Dalai Lama devolved himself of political power and as secular head of Tibet, the Tibetan exiled government was more of a theocracy and it would have been impossible for the CTA to make any decision that would go against the Dalai Lama. But the CTA is now a democratic government fully empowered to make decisions without any overhang of sectarian sensitivites. What is stopping them now from undoing a grave injustice that has prevailed over Shugden practitioners for so long, and smeared the CTA with its presently terrible undemocratic reputation? Absolutely nothing, unless the CTA is in fact now merely a proxy for the Dalai Lama. I don't think so. I think the Dalai Lama genuinely wants the CTA to take over.

The Dalai Lama has so oftern hinted that the CTA under Sikyong Lobsang Sangay should determine their own course and yet they have not behaved like they know what to do with executive power.  When you consider the Dalai Lama's statement it appears he is saying that he cannot lift the ban without undermining his own credibility. Many scholars  and Tibetologists have even suggested that the Dalai Lama in suppressing the Shugden practice did so, NOT because His Holiness truly believed that Dorje Shugden is evil, but was in fact attempting to level a playing field that has been characterised by Gelugpa ascendancy and Dorje Shugden had become a symbol of Gelugpa dominance. Whether that is true or not is difficult to say and we do not know what political undercurrents arising out of sectarian rivalry the Dalai Lama has had to deal with all these years because these matters have not been made public. If there was jealousy from the other schools, that threatened the Dalai Lama's political plans, maybe the Dalai Lama had to send out a message that he was not about sectarian supremacy. There have been other suggestions of the Dalai Lama's true intntions. Whatever it is, by stepping down, his Dalai Lama is signalling to the CTA that his objective(s) has been adequately accomplished, and now the CTA should restore freedom of religion.

As long as the CTA in not exercising its powers vested upon it to undo the undo the ban it is really forcing the Dalai Lama back into state affairs, and back into the clutches of sectarian politics. Dr Lobsang Sangay should get the hint and take immediate action. The Sikyong must istantly remove what has been splitting the Tibetan society and at the same time cease its own human rights breaches if it were to expect world support against its claim of China's human rights violations. The CTA needs now to be a true democracy and to be seen as one.

Zach

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:37:13 PM »
He still acts like a Hypocrite now...Preaching religious tolerance and harmony and yet he still perpetuates the biggest schism In recent Tibetan history  :-[

I wish he would stop this and we could all work together again.

dsiluvu

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 05:41:48 AM »
nfortunately the Dalai Lama also said he felt "committed" to what he had been saying all this time. That says to me that His Holiness feels that he is obliged to stick to his claims, but at the same time it is a hint to the CTA to correct his "mistake".

You could say that up until the Dalai Lama devolved himself of political power and as secular head of Tibet, the Tibetan exiled government was more of a theocracy and it would have been impossible for the CTA to make any decision that would go against the Dalai Lama. But the CTA is now a democratic government fully empowered to make decisions without any overhang of sectarian sensitivites. What is stopping them now from undoing a grave injustice that has prevailed over Shugden practitioners for so long, and smeared the CTA with its presently terrible undemocratic reputation? Absolutely nothing, unless the CTA is in fact now merely a proxy for the Dalai Lama. I don't think so. I think the Dalai Lama genuinely wants the CTA to take over.

That makes sense..... if a democratic party is formed... well it was kinda instigated by HHDL and encouraged... then why is the CTA still sitting ducks???

There are so many wonderful positive changes they could do for their people in and outside their exile community. Perhaps they could learn a thing or two from Aung San Suu Kyi who stood up courageously for her country, her people's freedom, for democracy without ever using violence. She is definitely one person I admire and truly inspirational... she not only inspired her people, other governments, she inspired the world. She represents true democracy... which unfortunately we do not see happening with Tibetans. So wonder why all this self-immolation is not getting much reactions from anyone really... sad to say not even their own exile Government.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 07:27:45 AM »
nfortunately the Dalai Lama also said he felt "committed" to what he had been saying all this time. That says to me that His Holiness feels that he is obliged to stick to his claims, but at the same time it is a hint to the CTA to correct his "mistake".

That makes sense..... if a democratic party is formed... well it was kinda instigated by HHDL and encouraged... then why is the CTA still sitting ducks???

There are so many wonderful positive changes they could do for their people in and outside their exile community. Perhaps they could learn a thing or two from Aung San Suu Kyi who stood up courageously for her country, her people's freedom, for democracy without ever using violence. She is definitely one person I admire and truly inspirational... she not only inspired her people, other governments, she inspired the world. She represents true democracy... which unfortunately we do not see happening with Tibetans. So wonder why all this self-immolation is not getting much reactions from anyone really... sad to say not even their own exile Government.

As we have seen, the CTA's democratic government isnt really democratic because there is only one side and only one party when democratic governments usually have 2 or more parties. There's only one reason as to why the other nations pretend to not see that part of the whole facade and still say that the CTA is democratic: they want to see if the Tibetan cause can crack China and bring China down to its knees, or even split China up into many countries as it collapses, like what happened to the soviet union, so in essence, CTA is but a pawn in this. It is sad to see how CTA is selling their culture, pride and identity in the name of 'independence' indeed.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 01:43:06 PM »
Worldly and spiritual matters are usually contradictory there is no way that one decision from a person like Dalai Lama can serve the worldly and spiritual at the same time. Perhaps the Dalai Lama's admission of being a hypocrite is asking us examine his actions and not just what he says. We may find out more than what we are normally accustomed to.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
Worldly and spiritual matters are usually contradictory there is no way that one decision from a person like Dalai Lama can serve the worldly and spiritual at the same time. Perhaps the Dalai Lama's admission of being a hypocrite is asking us examine his actions and not just what he says. We may find out more than what we are normally accustomed to.
HHDL has always been asking people to observe and examine his teachings and in the teachings in general as this is also the teachings of the Buddha: to not believe in something just because they sound nice or because of authority. But how many people can actually get past the barrier of believing in something just because they sound nice? Many Dharma  teachers these days gain fame by teaching nice sounding Dharma instead of the words that people hear and although HHDL has to do it that way, he can only beg people to examine his teachings and to read between the lines, and whether or not his followers choose to do so is a different story.

Big Uncle

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »
This is a very interesting thread and I am not surprise that the Dalai Lama express this because as a monk, they are not suppose to engage in worldly affairs like politics and so forth. However, he is not the normal average monk and he is considered a high incarnation of Avalokiteshvara and so he is able to bring benefit and not be stained by politics for self-gain.

Anyway, I think people appreciate his frank honesty nonetheless and I think some of you guys are right, if the Dalai Lama were to say that he was wrong about Dorje Shugden, many who were estranged by the ban would let go and easily embrace the Dalai Lama anyway. I am wondering if the Dalai Lama is preparing people by being so frank so as to build a way to talk about releasing the ban. Hmmm.... What do you guys think? Well, maybe I am just being thoroughly optimistic about this.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 07:35:13 AM »
This is a very interesting thread and I am not surprise that the Dalai Lama express this because as a monk, they are not suppose to engage in worldly affairs like politics and so forth. However, he is not the normal average monk and he is considered a high incarnation of Avalokiteshvara and so he is able to bring benefit and not be stained by politics for self-gain.

Anyway, I think people appreciate his frank honesty nonetheless and I think some of you guys are right, if the Dalai Lama were to say that he was wrong about Dorje Shugden, many who were estranged by the ban would let go and easily embrace the Dalai Lama anyway. I am wondering if the Dalai Lama is preparing people by being so frank so as to build a way to talk about releasing the ban. Hmmm.... What do you guys think? Well, maybe I am just being thoroughly optimistic about this.

Up to now, many of the high lamas that have defected to Shar Ganden due to the ban such as Denma Locho Rinpoche and Gangchen Rinpoche has not spoke anything bad about the Dalai Lama and have not shown any anger or bitterness towards the CTA for the ban. I think that speaks a lot about the level of Dharma practice that these high lamas have. If Dorje Shugden was not beneficial, then these lamas would not have been able to have such a high tolerance towards the ban and everything else that came with it such as the discrimination and being outcasts in their own community which they helped build with their bare hands and not asking anything back.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 01:04:29 PM »
It's been more than a year since the Dalai Lama publicly announced that he is a hypocrite in combining religion and politics together while he was in the helm of the Tibetan Government. Well, nothing has changed since the Dalai Lama retired from politics and nothing much has been done for the Tibetans. The Dalai Lama has not said anything about the DS ban but he has jokingly brushed off about the DS ban when he was asked in one of the interviews. This shows that he is not as stern with the ban nowadays.

The current CTA government has not alleviate any of the agony of the people  who faces discrimination especially Dorje Shugden practitioners. If fact we see more and more Tibetans are self immolating themselves to fight for the independence of Tibet.

Zach

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »

Up to now, many of the high lamas that have defected to Shar Ganden due to the ban such as Denma Locho Rinpoche and Gangchen Rinpoche has not spoke anything bad about the Dalai Lama and have not shown any anger or bitterness towards the CTA for the ban. I think that speaks a lot about the level of Dharma practice that these high lamas have. If Dorje Shugden was not beneficial, then these lamas would not have been able to have such a high tolerance towards the ban and everything else that came with it such as the discrimination and being outcasts in their own community which they helped build with their bare hands and not asking anything back.

Hang on Denma Locho Rinpoche is teaching at FPMT centres ?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 05:22:57 AM »
It's been more than a year since the Dalai Lama publicly announced that he is a hypocrite in combining religion and politics together while he was in the helm of the Tibetan Government. Well, nothing has changed since the Dalai Lama retired from politics and nothing much has been done for the Tibetans. The Dalai Lama has not said anything about the DS ban but he has jokingly brushed off about the DS ban when he was asked in one of the interviews. This shows that he is not as stern with the ban nowadays.

The current CTA government has not alleviate any of the agony of the people  who faces discrimination especially Dorje Shugden practitioners. If fact we see more and more Tibetans are self immolating themselves to fight for the independence of Tibet.

I dont know if anyone has noticed any changes ever since this announcement, but i have not realized any changes at all in any way, shape or form ever since the declaration that he will retire from politics and remain as a religious figurehead. CTA still hides behind the Dalai Lama's robe for every decision and for ever tiny thing, and they still fly the Dalai Lama around the world because he's very marketable and famous, and therefore he is the 'best' person to represent the Tibetans, even if it means overtaxing HHDL's body and pushing him to do more work than he can handle of visiting countries and states and on plane rides that take many hours which would be taxing for anyone to go through. Is that how you show your love and respect for the Dalai Lama? I dont think so

beggar

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 08:34:07 AM »
I think this issue of hypocrisy must be looked at in a deeper vein, not just taken at face value for what the Dalai Lama has said. The Dalai Lama makes a "confession" that he has been hypocritical in mixing secular and spiritual matters. If the spiritual leader (and for some time also a political leader) is able to make such a confession, then surely it would mean that his government should not be beneath re-examining their own actions too. 

And so, it leads logically that the hypocrisy extends to the actions of the CTA too. If the spiritual leader can "criticise" himself for mixing the secular and the spiritual, then surely the CTA must examine this aspect of their leadership also. Why indeed does a secular government interfere in spiritual matters like the Dorje Shugden issue? Why do they include information in their official websites speaking against a religious belief and practice like Dorje Shugden? Why do they discriminate against practitioners of a certain spiritual practice? What bearing should any individual's spiritual practice have on the secular policies of the government?

If there is anyone who is being hypocritical, it should surely be the CTA, who would be held more accountable than the Dalai Lama for the civil, secular wellbeing, rights and welfare of their people? To fight on the one hand for the "freedom" (independence / autonomy or whatever it is they call it these days) for their people, but to suppress their own exiled community based purely on their religious beliefs is a great hypocrisy, if nothing else! How can they be fighting for a larger freedom when they don't grant their own people the most basic human rights and individual freedoms of expressions and religion?

Hypocritical? I think so. The Dalai Lama is humble enough to admit it himself and perhaps that is a teaching in itself for us to look at the corresponding (often hypocritical) actions of his own followers and supporters too.