Author Topic: Male of Female? Who is superior?  (Read 7338 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Re: Male of Female? Who is superior?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »
I wouldnt really say who is superior and who is not, but both men and women have a human body and have the same brain capacity, and thus they both have the same potential in everything. Of course there are physical differences between a man and a woman, but those are kind of small and minor compared to the difference between species, for example. It might be less convenient to be a woman when it comes to traveling for example, due to physical differences, but in general, i dont think neither are more superior than the other.

jessicajameson

• Email
Re: Male of Female? Who is superior?
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »
positivechange I would very much like to answer your question with the answer, "Female"! Haha

I believe that in some realms of existence there isn't a physical or anatomical distinction between males and females, as I once read, in some realms of existence orgasm can be reached by the mere touch of two individual's palms. Strange, but pretty cool.

As a female living in this age and time, I do feel that women are generally oppressed all around the world. Even in developed nations such as the States, the majority of women holding higher-position jobs are still significantly lower than males (pic attached). I feel that much of the inequality experienced towards women came from religion.

As compared to polytheistic religions such as Hinduism, or even the pre-Christian religions of Europe, where they worship a variety of Gods and Goddesses, most modern day monotheistic religions define their singular God as male. The idol of worship being a male, subtly reinforces within the public's mind that males are superior.

Look at the oppression of women in Islamic nations, not all, but most. Both women and men pray to a male God. The men are superior, God is a male.

However, compared to the Buddhist practice, women are considered as equal. Within the Tibetan religious hierarchy, the person on top is His Holiness the Dalai Lama, the second in line is the Panchen Lama and the third is a female name Dorje Pakmo.

Dorje Pakmo is the highest female incarnation in Tibet, recognized by the Tibetan government. The present incarnation is the 12th Samding Dorje Pakmo Trülku. He name is Deqen Qoizhoin Rinpoche, born in the year 1942. She is still serving this position, and she is known to be Vajra Varahi herself.

It's impossible to be a sexist as a Buddhist. It'll be hypocritical to pray to mother Tara, Vajrayogini, Avaloketishvara, Dukkar, Palden Llhamo - all of whom manifest as female Buddhas.  As seen in this post (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=2834.0), many high male lamas are making a stand to encourage female Buddhist sanghas.

The dominating monotheistic religions made a grave mistake by cutting out the female equivalent to the male God. They cut out Yahweh's (God) wife, Asherah, from the New Testament. She was of equal standing to God, and was revered as a powerful fertility goddess. They removed her, thereby creating the difference: men the saviour, women the ones who prayed.

As a Buddhist, I find the story of Tara extremely empowering. She said, "I have developed bodhicitta as a woman. For all my lifetimes along the path I vow to be born as a woman, and in my final lifetime when I attain Buddhahood, then, too, I will be a woman."

Not all nunneries are lovely and peachy though... Gebchak Gonpa appears to be a spot of heaven on Earth, but less than be said about the Gaden Choeling nunnery (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/spread-the-word/write-a-letter/nuns-acting-in-the-most-unsightly-ways/)!