Author Topic: Music Group Fronted by Japanese Monks Bring Buddhist Sutra to the Dance Club  (Read 6605 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Japan is known for being a pioneer in many things and for being avant garde, but are they stretching this too far? I personally find this interesting....2 monks forming a music group and singing sutras to the masses. Their intention is to purely bring sutras to the ears of those who would not normally hear them. Neat? Weird? Over the top? Interesting? I only have one word for this: wow.

Well Dubstep, you had a good run but it’s time to drop out and make way for a new genre of dance music straight from the Buddhist temples of Japan: Dubsutra.

Okay, so maybe I just made that word up, but it is a real thing thanks to Tariki Echo, a musical unit fronted by two Japanese, bike helmet-wearing monks who have turned the Buddhist sutra into dance music.

Ippei Tatsuyama and Akira Emoto met 20 years ago while they were students at Tokyo Bukkyo Gakuin, a college for those aspiring to become head priests in the J?do Shinsh? sect of Buddhism located in the Tsukiji Hongan-ji temple. In addition to normal lectures concerning Buddhist studies, sutra recitation and everything else you need to know to run a temple, the college also offers a course on Buddhist music. Ippei and Akira were both enrolled in the class and, having both played music in a band before meeting, quickly hit it off thanks to their mutual love of music.

In a recent interview with ITMedia, the two recall that they would often stay in the temple’s music room after classes playing together until the security guard had to come and kick them out.

It was during one of these sessions that they began talking about using sutra in place of lyrics for music and they even played in front of an audience for the first time during at a Buddhist youth group meeting at the temple.

However, the formation of Tariki Echo would come later as the two went their separate ways after graduation. Ippei returned home to take over his father’s post as head priest at Ryukyou-ji temple in Shimane prefecture but recently moved to Tokyo, where he helps out at a relative’s temple while also working as a keyboardist and composer.

Akira remained in Tokyo to continue his education of Buddhist sutra and traditional Japanese court music before becoming head priest at Zengyou-ji temple in Saitama prefecture.

Finally, 20 years after graduation, the two were reunited by chance in Tokyo and formed Tariki Echo, releasing their first CD, “Buddha Sound”, on March 21.

Akira, who once found things like religion and Buddhist sutra unpleasant until he began studying them on his own, hopes their music will reach the ears of those who would normally have no association with the Buddhist scriptures.

While sutra recitation is usually associated with a somewhat dark, monotonic chanting, Akira explains that some sutra have a unique, melodious intonation and that he believes there is something captivating in them as a part of traditional Japanese culture.

Tariki Echo plan to continue making music until their fusion of sutra and dance becomes recognized as a new genre. They’ve already been met with a positive response from others in the Buddhist community, who praise their efforts to introduce Buddhist sutra to the mainstream through music.

Psychedelic video of them chanting namo amida buddha, with similar music
TARIKI ECHO???????????????????

biggyboy

Well, it is nothing new nowadays with monks bringing sutras or mantras in songs..bringing them in many unconventional ways that many may not think of doing it. I have heard that some teachers take unusual paths of teaching too...it is the present time of age, that we have to go along with times and not being left behind.  If this the way that can help and bring people onto the path, why not? Many people be it young or old, likes to listen to songs nowadays.

Well, there's this young handsome Tibetan Lama, has emerged on Taiwan's music scene by releasing his first CD- a collection of rap and hip-hop songs which he claims can help promote Buddhism. Singa Rinpoche (Sheng Karma Rinpoche), 30, released the CD - Wish You Well - through Taiwan's Forward Music company.

Singa Rinpoche signed a contract with Forward Music in April 2006 and began recording at a Beijing studio in July 2006. Most of the 12 songs on the CD were written and composed by a Taiwan musician and two were written and composed by Singa Rinpoche. The songs are: Reincarnation, Wish You Well, Let Me Take Care of You, Fashion, It's the Light, Girl Quji Zhuoma, Starting to Realize, Leave Love to You, Today, Lama Chino.

In the songs, Singa Rinpoche mixes rap and hip-hop with chants of Buddhist sutras, and switches from Chinese to Tibetan and English.

The songs deal mostly with love, but he also preaches his philosophy. The song Leave Love to You has this rap line: "All the pain in this world is caused by seeking happiness for himself / All the joy in this world is caused by seeking happiness for others. "

Singa ?????- Reincarnation ?? (Vajrasattva Mantra) Small | Large

hope rainbow

In older days, the Buddhist teachings were made into poetry and thus works of "art".
Some were to look at them out of interest for the "art form" they emanated as until the meaning carried by the poetry came to light and then they were not looking at poetry anymore, they were looking at Dharma.
So for anyone that sees "music" where there is only Dharma, I would wonder if they have really seen the Dharma message that they carry?

dondrup

Buddhism has been evolving since the time of Buddha Shakyamuni.  The essense of Buddhism remains the same just the outer presentation has changed.  At this time and age where the study of religion is not common or of any interest to the general public, many spiritual teachers have been exploring ways to bring the Dharma to the mainstream public.  Both the priests Ippei Tatsuyama and Akira Emoto had used a skillful means to bring Dharma to the public.  Music is universal and easily accepted by many.  Those singing their song which included Buddha Amitabha’s Name as part of the lyrics, will get the benefits of reciting Buddha Amitabha’s Name!  When their song becomes popular, many people will get to know Buddha Amitabha and indirectly Tariki Echo is helping these sentient beings to create a connection with Buddha Amitabha.

AnneQ

I think it is great that these young upbeat monks are spreading the sutras and Dharma this way. Music is the international medium that breaks all language barriers globally, so why not use this fantastic medium to spread the words of Buddha? In fact what these monks are doing is not unique nor groundbreaking. In recent times we have seen a rise in religion being spread to the masses through music and songs. Christian music artists have been making hits in the international scenes for decades now. It is about time Buddhists get on the bandwagon to spread the words of Dharma through music, songs and why not rap too? And who better to do it than the Japanese? They are very hip and well excepted throughout Asia and perhaps in the West too, to be talented pop artists, other than the Koreans with their K-Pop music. So bring it on!

ilikeshugden

• Email
I find this very interesting. I noticed that Japan is the only country that really improves on their methods on making people closer to the Dharma. They use things like dubstep, trance, anime and rap. I find it very impressive.

diamond girl

Well, it is nothing new nowadays with monks bringing sutras or mantras in songs..bringing them in many unconventional ways that many may not think of doing it. I have heard that some teachers take unusual paths of teaching too...it is the present time of age, that we have to go along with times and not being left behind.  If this the way that can help and bring people onto the path, why not? Many people be it young or old, likes to listen to songs nowadays.

Well, there's this young handsome Tibetan Lama, has emerged on Taiwan's music scene by releasing his first CD- a collection of rap and hip-hop songs which he claims can help promote Buddhism. Singa Rinpoche (Sheng Karma Rinpoche), 30, released the CD - Wish You Well - through Taiwan's Forward Music company.

Singa Rinpoche signed a contract with Forward Music in April 2006 and began recording at a Beijing studio in July 2006. Most of the 12 songs on the CD were written and composed by a Taiwan musician and two were written and composed by Singa Rinpoche. The songs are: Reincarnation, Wish You Well, Let Me Take Care of You, Fashion, It's the Light, Girl Quji Zhuoma, Starting to Realize, Leave Love to You, Today, Lama Chino.

In the songs, Singa Rinpoche mixes rap and hip-hop with chants of Buddhist sutras, and switches from Chinese to Tibetan and English.

The songs deal mostly with love, but he also preaches his philosophy. The song Leave Love to You has this rap line: "All the pain in this world is caused by seeking happiness for himself / All the joy in this world is caused by seeking happiness for others. "

Singa ?????- Reincarnation ?? (Vajrasattva Mantra)

It is very interesting to see all this "modernism" to Buddhism. Personally, I love it because it is refreshing. However, in the long term the monks cannot lose themselves in the samsara of "modernizing" Buddhism.

I read this link on Singa Rinpoche:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2007/02/15/2003349194/1
Controversial lama is keepin' it surreal

I believe that this is not current and that Singa Rinpoche is not 30 years old today but 42 years old. He was born in 1970. So, what happened to him in the last 12 years? I heard he got married, etc... Is this true? If it is, then I ask where is the responsibility to his followers who have seen him as a monk eventhough a modern one? Did his actions disturb the minds of many? 

Rihanna

Singa ?????- Reincarnation ?? (Vajrasattva Mantra)

It is very interesting to see all this "modernism" to Buddhism. Personally, I love it because it is refreshing. However, in the long term the monks cannot lose themselves in the samsara of "modernizing" Buddhism.

I read this link on Singa Rinpoche:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2007/02/15/2003349194/1
Controversial lama is keepin' it surreal

I believe that this is not current and that Singa Rinpoche is not 30 years old today but 42 years old. He was born in 1970. So, what happened to him in the last 12 years? I heard he got married, etc... Is this true? If it is, then I ask where is the responsibility to his followers who have seen him as a monk eventhough a modern one? Did his actions disturb the minds of many?

[There will always be some who are attracted to unconventional methods of spreading the dharma, at the same time some others' minds will be disturbed. I think the bottom line is, and only the one with the idea would know, is the motivation. In many instances, it has brought about positive results while in some other cases it was just an excuse for them to indulge in their attachments and using those methods as an excuse. My opinion is that if one wants to go on a spiritual path, it is best to find a guru, check him out and then go all the way with any methods he uses.]

Jessie Fong

Singa Rinpoche's trademark is white shirt and blue pants.

Born in Qinghai Province, China, in 1970, Singa claims a rainbow
appeared in the sky when he was born. At 16, a Tibetan monastery
confirmed he was the reincarnation of a high lama.

Singa claimed he spent three years studying Buddhism in Nepal,
Tibet and Thailand, before travelling around the world to spread
Buddhism.

But when he visited Taiwan from February to April 2006 to promote
his book, This is me, a living Buddha, he caused controversy because
he acted more like a film star than a monk. He wore trendy clothes
and received his disciples wearing a shirt and jeans, not the red
cloak worn by Tibetan lamas.

Some Taiwan disciples alledged Singa had not finished Buddhist
studies in India and had not been ordained, prompting the Interior
Ministry to bar him from entering Taiwan for one year.

Cheng Chen-huang, a professor of Buddhism at the Fokuangshan
University, believes Singa Rinpoche has violated Buddhist precepts,
or moral codes.

"There are 250 precepts for a Chinese Buddhist and 253 precepts
for a Tibetan Buddhist. For a Buddhist, these codes are very
important and must be observed," Cheng told dpa.

Agga Wandha, a 59-year-old Burmese monk in Taipei, agreed.

"The essence of Buddhism is to quench desires in order to achieve
inner peace. Singa Rinpoche's wearing fashionable clothes and driving
fancy cars shows he is feeding these desires. He is really in a
mess," he said.

But Singa Rinpoche's behavior is nothing new to Tibetan Buddhism.
Three hundred years ago, the sixth Dalai Lama raisd eyebrows because
he frequented Lhasa's red light district at night and wrote love
poems.

A more recent example is Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche from the
Himalayan Buddhist kingdom of Bhutan, who directed two films - The
Cup in 1999 and Travellers & Magicians in 2005.

Dzongsar Khyentse received world acclaim for his films and
continues to travel around the world to preach Buddhism. No one had
criticized him for making films.

an extract from : http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Controversial_Tibetan_lama_releases_02142007.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ratanasutra

In the past i heard people said that the buddhism is in degenerate time because of people make sutra/mantra to music and listen for entertainment.

But in other side i also learnt that however when we listen or hear the sutra/mantra, its plant the seeds in people mind and that their seeds might open up next life to continue into the spiritual path. Hence we recited mantras for our animals daily and recite mantras and blow into animals whom we are going to release as well.

So i think yes, it seem to be degenerate that people are sing mantra/sutra like music for entertain purpose but any sound of mantra either in form of chanting, singing are bring benefit to people who hear and listen.. And in this modern world if things are not change to suit people mind and thought, it will be forgotten and left out.