Author Topic: brten mdos (thread cross) of Dorje Shugden  (Read 9015 times)

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
brten mdos (thread cross) of Dorje Shugden
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:08:11 AM »
I have heard a little about these 'thread crosses' and was wondering if anyone had any information on a Dorje Shugden thread cross.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
Re: brten mdos (thread cross) of Dorje Shugden
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 05:22:01 AM »
Here is a photo of a thread cross that I found to give an example, although this one is not related to Dorje Shugden

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 03:37:39 AM »
Tenpa-la

I think the origins of these thread crosses dates back to the primodial Bon tradition which is later adopted through Tantric methods to help with different activities of different Yidams and protectors.

I have seen Dorje Shugden's mandala depicted this way in many pictures posted on this website and on FB. Maybe it would be good if you can find out more from the ritual monks of Shar Gaden and share with us here. I am very very interested to know more about it.

It is definitely one of a kind! As we know Dorje Shugden is an uncommon protector of the Gaden tradition, we should learn up, study and promote his teachings and culture to many so that it will help many many people.

Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:21:57 AM »
Ten doe

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 03:08:18 PM »
What is the ten doe, Losang Tenpa? Is it the Dorje Shugden thread cross?

What is the purpose of the thread cross? Is it a mandala, as Harry said?
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Big Uncle

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 03:33:40 PM »
Hello Losang Tenpa and Harry Nephew, 

A monk friend emailed me the picture of this Gyalchen Tendoe as he calls it. He said that it is very rare that monks are able to make these anymore. From the picture, I can see that it is basically a representation of Dorje Shugden's mandala with the Dorje Shugden and his 32 in his entourage on the ground floor, Setrap on the first floor and Buddha Amitabha on the 2nd floor.

I am guessing because I can't really see the image within this divine mandala. I heard that the previous incarnation of Kyabje Zong Rinpoche instructed and made sure a Gyelchen Tendoe was made just before he passed into clear light. I am not sure what's the significance but i am sure it is to house Dorje Shugden's energy within that particular area. 

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »
Excellent!! Thank you for sharing. I have a fascination with these and I am trying to learn more about them. My teacher has told me bits but still so much more to learn.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 08:20:12 AM »
Big Uncle, where would this Gyalchen Tendoe be placed in a temple? Is it an offering? Is it just specific for Dorje Shugden only?

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 12:00:46 PM »
Here is a picture of the giant ten-do inside the Dharmapala chapel at Shar Gaden. 

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 04:29:27 AM »
Hmm..I wonder if the thread crosses are made of chakras? They kind of look like a combination of chakras of various sizes to me. They look very nice and they look like something that is extremely labor consuming. So am I right to say that the thread crosses actually are a 3D representation of a mandala of a particular deity? The tendoe in Shar Ganden looks amazingly detailed. I really would like to see it one day in person and take a picture from every angle to appreciate its beauty more.

Big Uncle

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 05:35:11 AM »
Big Uncle, where would this Gyalchen Tendoe be placed in a temple? Is it an offering? Is it just specific for Dorje Shugden only?

Sorry Tenzin Malgyur. I didn't see your question before this. I don't know if there's a special allocation or a fengshui-friendly place for the Gyalchen Tendoe. However, I am sure that the Tendoe is built and placed in places where we would like the Dharma to grow like in a gompa or a Dharma center. I am not sure where the picture of the Gyalchen Tendoe I have as it was given to me by a monk friend. He told me it is probably in one of the Dorje Shugden lama's ladrang. Whatever it is, it is beautiful and one of the most elaborate that I have ever seen. Well, not that I have seen many Gyalcen tendoes. It would be interesting to read about it if there's a historical perspective on this most unusual ritual. 

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 06:05:24 AM »
Sorry Tenzin Malgyur. I didn't see your question before this. I don't know if there's a special allocation or a fengshui-friendly place for the Gyalchen Tendoe. However, I am sure that the Tendoe is built and placed in places where we would like the Dharma to grow like in a gompa or a Dharma center. I am not sure where the picture of the Gyalchen Tendoe I have as it was given to me by a monk friend. He told me it is probably in one of the Dorje Shugden lama's ladrang. Whatever it is, it is beautiful and one of the most elaborate that I have ever seen. Well, not that I have seen many Gyalcen tendoes. It would be interesting to read about it if there's a historical perspective on this most unusual ritual.

Hmm. The picture of the Tendoe that you have posted looks a lot like the same one that Gangchen Rinpoche offered to Rabten monastery in Switzerland. I am guessing that if the Tendoe represents a mandala, its main function is an offering to the Dharma protector a place for Him to stay with his entourage. After all, wouldnt it be amazing to invite the Dharma protector to stay in your home or in the Gompa? And at the same time, people can learn about his mandala when they see it. That's what I think the significance of the Tendoe would be.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 09:35:09 AM »

A search on the dorjectshugden site mentions that  ... ... Many Dorje Shugden stupas (gyalchen tendoe) have been erected all over Tibet! This is a sign that the magnificent Protector and its practice is spreading far and wide.

So it seems that a tendoe is a stupa.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 03:43:10 PM »

A search on the dorjectshugden site mentions that  ... ... Many Dorje Shugden stupas (gyalchen tendoe) have been erected all over Tibet! This is a sign that the magnificent Protector and its practice is spreading far and wide.

So it seems that a tendoe is a stupa.

But it's not an ordinary stupa. Apparently Tendoes contain Dharma texts and other items in them and the structure of the stupa is very different than the standard, run-of-the-mill stupa. It always has 3 tiers, with the topmost one is where Amithaba resides, the middle one Setrap and the lowest one Dorje Shugden. WIth that said, it is very auspicious to have a replica of His mandala anywhere -  I would want one on my altar everyday and it would make it very easy for me to visualize inviting him from his mandala. Other than that, are there any more reasons as to why would these stupa be erected?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »
Here's some history and info about thread crosses from Oracles and demons:

A peculiar object used in numerous magic rites is the so-called mdos or "thread-cross".1 The basic form of a mdos is made by two sticks which are bound together to form a cross; the ends of the sticks are then connected with coloured thread so that the object assumes finally a shape similar to a cob-web. Other mdos are complicated structures up to eleven feet high, consisting of a number of geometrical objects made of sticks and thread in weeks of patient work. An alternative term for mdos is nam mkha'. It seems, however, that this expression is preferably used for the small thread-crosses surrounding the main, central structure.

The use of thread-crosses in Tibet dates already from pre-Buddhist times, and a section of the Bon called 'phrul gshen was mainly concerned with the mdos. 2 On the other hand Padmasambhava is supposed to have introduced the practice of offering the so-called pho mdos and mo mdos.' In certain cases, e.g. in the rites of the weather-makers, they serve as a magic contraption for catching demons; the evil spirits are supposed to
get entangled in the antennae of the mdos just like a fly in a cob-web. Small mdos are placed as a protection against demons above the entrance ofahouseoronthetopofaroof. InLadakhitiscustomarytoprotecta monastery and the surrounding area by huge thread-crosses.' After such a mdos has been used for some time, the structure is pulled down, broken up, and then mostly burned, in order to destroy all evil spirits which had been caught in it. Strangely enough, pieces of such destroyed thread- crosses are on the other hand often preserved by laymen as a protection
against all sorts of evil. In other cases the mdos fulfills the same purpose as a glor ma: it
provides a temporary abode for a deity. The mdos then mostly symbolizes the legendary heaven in which the particular god or goddess is supposed to reside. The patches of wool which are often attached to the sticks forming the mdos are in this case supposed to represent the clouds floating around the heavenly abode. The treasures, alleged to be stored in the residence of this god or goddess, are represented by small pieces of cloth,semi-precious stones, and small weapons and harnesses, the latter objects being made of dough with the help of a zan par. All these things, which are jointly called the yas, are arranged around the base of the mdos. But just like a gtor ma, also a thread-cross can be used in magic rites as a kind ofcageintowhichapriestattractsademoniacaldeity. Afterthecaptured demon has been instructed which kind of work he should carry out, he is released by casting the thread-cross away. The mdos of this kind are called gtang mdos. They stand in contradistinction to the brten mdos, the thread-crosses which are supposed to be "loaded" with protective magic powers and which are therefore preserved for some time. Especially those brten mdos which have been made by an incarnate lama or by some learned priest are highly valued. Thus e.g. in the royal residence of the Bhutanese capital, the sPung thang bde chen rdzong, several brten mdos
are being preserved to this day, which are said to have been made by the first dharmaraja of Bhutan, the'Brug pa rin po che Ngag dbang bstan 'dzin rnam rgyal 'jigs med.

Hope it helps!