Author Topic: Monk Kill Dog with Axe  (Read 14222 times)

sonamdhargey

Monk Kill Dog with Axe
« on: August 19, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »
I find this rather disturbing. A Monk killed a dog with an Axe in Korea.

On December 14, 2011, at 02:14 AM at a temple near ‘Choen yong sa’ in Choup-dong, Jean-gu, Busan,  a Buddhist monk stumbled into an alley. He heard a dog barking behind the wall, and climbed over it.
After climbing the wall, he made his first attack on Jang-goon.
Moments later, the monk grabbed an ax from the temple 30 to 40 meters away.
He climbed over the wall again and struck Jang-goon twice in the head with the axe.
Jang-goon’s skull was fractured and he was rendered unconscious.
The monk hit him repeatedly even after the dog collapsed.

See Video:
?? ??? ??. ??? ?? ??? ?? ?? ??. Small | Large

Source:http://www.careanimalrights.org/2012/05/11/monk-kills-jindo-with-axe/

DSFriend

Re: Monk Kill Dog with Axe
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 11:56:01 AM »
This is extremely disturbing. It's too much for me to think of this person as a monk. As human beings, we do not do act like this. Nothing warrants for such acts.

There's much to learn from this incident though.. that practice and applying the teachings is key to making us better human beings, kind human beings. It's not only what we wear and what titles we carry.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 01:27:16 AM »
I can't believe what I saw in this video. What possessed the monk to carry out this act? This is so disgusting. No one have any right to inflict such pain to an animal, what more a monk who is expected to hold his monk vows. I am very sure no killing other living beings is one of them. Everyone should treat all living beings with care and respect. I hope the video is not a smear campaign against the monk or Buddhist practitioners in general.

hope rainbow

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
Poor dog... What must he have done to suffer such cruelty from the hand of a monk...

Poor monk... What must he suffer later to have done such cruelty to a helpless being while braking his holy vows...

Whatever way we look at this, it is saddening to extremes...

Q

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »
oh my goodness... is that really a monk?

The strange thing is, why did he even bother hurting the dog? It obviously wasn't attacking him or anyone else.

But monk or not, that act is pure cruel... no living being deserves such treatment. Worst if it's from a monk, because this action broke his vows to not harm any living beings.

I feel sad for both of them. The dog may be physically abused, hurt and even died (I think? Not mentioned of the dog died or survived) , but the monk has damaged his spiritual growth and holy vows.

Really sad...

Tammy

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 02:39:39 AM »
I fear for the 'monk' when the black karma of this devilish act stuck him. I am sure it would be many time worse then what he had done to the dog.

What is weird for me, the monk didn't attack the dog out of self defense, he walked away and returned with the aex when he could have just leave the dog alone. Perhaps there were untold histories between these two that were not shown in the video.

Anyway, whatever it was, the monk has not right to inflict such pain unto other living being. He is not fit being considered a human being, let alone monk.
Down with the BAN!!!

Tenzin K

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 08:57:19 AM »
I'm not sure whether that's really a monk as the action really cruel!
I can't understand why people couldn't just think of them as just like human which have feelings too.
They have the same mind as we have, and also want happiness, like we do. For example, if you suddenly touch them, they are immediately frightened. They get frightened if somebody beats or hits them with a stick. We also get frightened. If somebody throws cold water on our body, suddenly we feel a shock. It is the same for animals. They have the same mind, and it is very important what happens to them.

Even if they can’t speak, can’t express themselves, animals can show their fear through their body. For example, they try to run away. Human beings can talk and complain, and they can bring court cases. Human beings can report things to the police. Human beings can do so much, but animals can’—they can do nothing. They can’t express their suffering. Human beings can talk about their fears. Whether other people accept your suffering or not, at least you can explain it and the other person can hear. Animals can’t, but you can see how they feel from their movements. If someone tries to attacks them, they run away. They are afraid, which means they want happiness and not suffering. This is a very important point, that they have the same mind as us. If you kill them, you create the negative karma to be like them. For one hundred thousand lifetimes, you will have the karma to be born as an animal. For many thousands of lifetimes, you will suffer the consequences.

It is said in the teachings that if you kill one animal, because of that karma, you will be killed five hundred times by others. You will suffer in very hot hell realm for one thousand eons. It is also good to ask yourself how it would be if somebody killed you with a knife. How would you feel in that situation? For example, if you put your finger in hot water, can you bear that? You can’t bear it. It’s the same when you kill animals. There is no good result from it. There is no question about that.

dondrup

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »
Om Mani Padme Hum!

It is very cruel of the monk to hit the dog with the axe.  The dog had created the karma to be injured by the monk in the past whereas the monk has created heavy negative karma from injuring the dog.  A monk is supposed to uphold the Dharma to benefit all sentient beings. However, in this case, it seems like the monk has lost control of himself to anger.  Had he been more mindful of his actions, he wouldn’t have caused so much pain and suffering to another sentient being.  What is the point of putting on the monks’ robes and not upholding the Dharma?  His action in this case is totally against the ethics required of a monk.

Dorje Pakmo

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 08:02:30 AM »
From the video it's quite obvious that the poor dog was tied up at that moment. If not, it could have at least ran away. So, what kind of training had the monk received to have done such cruel act towards a helpless animal? It would mean nothing have went in, no realisation of any kind, although he had lived as a monk, but it seems the action he do is worse than any lay person's. We would have probably think many times or may not even think at all to hurt another being in such way. How scary... This act of cruelty clearly shows intense anger. Anger that suddenly consumes every goodness there is in this particular monk.

Hence, anger is one of the deadliest poison that can inflict one's mind. No matter what the dog may have done to him, probably barking incessantly at him many times, threatened to bite, chase after him, but the monk should have been kind enough to understand that there is a difference between him and the dog. That is he has a mind far more superior than that of a dog. But by doing such an action, shows he is worse off than that poor dog.

If we let our anger control us enough, over time, we will be filled with hatred and slowly without knowing become an animal or worse. It is important to keep our anger in check. Understand why we are angry. Have we created the cause for that anger? Or did we allow others to disturb our mind  and make us angry. Either way, we should find a way to solve the problem within ourselves and not cause harm to another being.

Remember, you are not a tree. If you don't like where you are, simply remove yourself and find  a better place.
DORJE PAKMO

bambi

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 08:21:52 AM »
Om Mani Peme Hung to the both of them.

It is really sad to see that the dog and the monk suffered this karma. We think that it is the monk's fault but have we ever think of the dog being in the monk's shoes? Both of them have to face the consequences they created since a long time.

Instead of looking and blaming at who is wrong why can't we pray for them instead? Either way, they will not be ending up in a good place for what they committed. May the monk continue to do His Dharma practice and understand the karma He created and repent.

sonamdhargey

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 09:04:02 AM »
The moral of the story here is even a Monk can conduct such act, so it is not about the title "Monk" a person carries makes him a good, compassionate, kind & holy, but what he practices and his motivation is upmost important. Nowadays we hear stories of monks behaving in an unbelievable manner, clearly shows that Monks are not free from their negative Karma to behave and conduct actions that are beyond comprehension.  We all have a preconception that a Monk should be Holy and not harm any beings. After monks are also a man who has the same faculties that all of us human has. Well it is sad the monk acted in such a manner towards the dog, the negative karma only gets bigger.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 02:38:49 PM »
To think that the poor dog was just barking away and this person (a monk) just climbed over the wall and attacked it.  The dog did not even hurt him.  What did the poor doggie do to receive that hurt?

And what was going through the monk's mind, that he had to climb over the wall, attack the dog, went off and came back with an axe and attack it again?

Yes Sonamdhargey, that person was in a monk's robes thus he was representative of the religious sect.  Something must have triggered him to go way out of line to have behaved that way.

ratanasutra

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 08:11:06 PM »
This is the contradict action of monk who holds the vows and practice compassion to help other beings is killing a dog. There are no reason for such action, no explanation as it was not the action which monk or human suppose to do towards dog or other animals.

Well.. Let pray that this will be a last thing we ever see either from the monks who have virtuous actions and the animals who depend on human kindness. 

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 05:30:58 AM »
Something could had happened between these two in their past life respectively. And in this life the karma ripen at that particular moment which triggered thing like that to happened. Sad. But if that person really a monk he should have had at least some compassion by not doing what he did, by simply killing a dog with so much effort and hatred. Where are all his Dharma lessons gone to? Was he drunk and i understand that some Koreans do include dog meat as part of their diet. Could it be with this kind of brought up the 'monk' simply acted out the violence thru his perception only to a food. But he's a monk....

Anyways, he's definitely not a monk who practices Dharma.

sonamdhargey

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 07:10:42 AM »
Something could had happened between these two in their past life respectively. And in this life the karma ripen at that particular moment which triggered thing like that to happened. Sad. But if that person really a monk he should have had at least some compassion by not doing what he did, by simply killing a dog with so much effort and hatred. Where are all his Dharma lessons gone to? Was he drunk and i understand that some Koreans do include dog meat as part of their diet. Could it be with this kind of brought up the 'monk' simply acted out the violence thru his perception only to a food. But he's a monk....

Anyways, he's definitely not a monk who practices Dharma.

Thanks Rossoneri for your reply. I would like to highlight one of your point, not to put you down in anyway but to understand about how something we done in the past and have crossed paths with each other will effect our future life. If what we have done in the past life have the karmic effect to such an extent that we could not ignore it but to experience it as a repercussion, then we must experienced it because it is the law of cause and effect.

If that is the case, how would that Monk avoid this act when it is his negative karma to act in such away from his actions of his past life? Is there a way to control or change the ripening effects of his negative karma to not act in such away?