Author Topic: The Three Refuges  (Read 11604 times)

Midakpa

Re: The Three Refuges
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 01:53:41 PM »
When Buddhists seek refuge it means they accept the Buddha, Dharma and the Sangha as the means by which they can eliminate all the causes of their fears and other mental suffering. Many people, especially those with animistic beliefs, seek protection in the objects around them, such as trees, mountains, groves etc,  which they believe are inhabited by spirits. The Buddha advised against such practice which put fear in people. No such refuge is safe and free of all ills. But taking refuge in the the Tree Jewels is supreme for one will come to have right understanding of the Four Noble Truths - suffering, the cause of suffering, the cessation of suffering and the Path which leads to the cessation of suffering. This is refuge that is safe and will free us of all ills. By seeking refuge in the Three Jewels, we are free from all sorrow.

Midakpa

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 02:31:43 PM »
Refuge or sharangaman in Sanskrit means heartfelt reliance upon Buddha, Dharma and Sangha on the path to enlightenment. People might ask, why take refuge in a man? But the Buddha was not an ordinary man. He was a very holy person who had freed himself of all defilements and negative emotions. It has been said of him,  "There is none so godless as the Buddha, and yet none so godlike." The Buddha embodies all the great virtues, wisdom and enlightenment.

Another question often asked is "if the Buddha is not a god, how can he bless people?" The Buddha's advice is, if people follow his advice by leading a religious life, they would certainly receive blessings. In Buddhism, blessing means the joy one experiences when one develops satisfaction and confidence. The Buddha once said, "If anyone wishes to see me, he should look at my teachings and practice them." (Samyutta Nikaya) Those who understand the Buddha's teachings can easily see the real nature of the Buddha reflected in themselves. "Those who live in accordance with the Dharma will be protected by that very Dharma." (Thera Gatha). 

Midakpa

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »
Francis Story who wrote "The Buddhist Outlook" and "Dimensions of Buddhist Thought", seeks refuge in the Buddha in the following passage: "I go for refuge to the Buddha. I seek the presence of the Exalted Teacher by whose compassion I may be guided through the torrents of Samsara, by whose serene countenance I may be uplifted from the mire of worldly thoughts and cravings, seeing there in the very assurance of Nibbanic Peace, and in my happiness I seek His tranquil gaze. I lay before His Image not only flowers and incense, but also the burning fires of my restless heart, that they may be quenched and stilled. I lay down the burden of my pride and my selfhood, the heavy burden of my cares and aspirations, the weary load of this incessant birth and death."

This passage shows that the Buddha can bestow protection from our inner enemies. He has the power to lead us out of samsara and guide us on the path of enlightenment.

icy

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 10:17:47 AM »
I take refuge until I am enlightened in the Buddhas, the Dharma, and the Sangha. By the positive potential I create by practicing generosity and the other far-reaching attitudes (ethical discipline, patience, joyous effort, meditative stabilization, and wisdom), may I attain Buddhahood in order to benefit all sentient beings.
It takes only a few moments to think in this way and to recite the prayer, yet doing so has a significant effect on the rest of our day. We'll be more cheerful and will be sure of our direction in life. Especially if we don't do a regular meditation practice, starting the day in this way is extremely beneficial.
In the evening, after reviewing the day's activities and freeing our minds from any remaining afflictions that may have arisen during the day, we again take refuge and generate the altruistic intention.
Before going to sleep, we can envision the Buddha, made of light, on our pillow. Placing our head in his lap, we fall asleep amidst the gentle glow of his wisdom and compassion. Instead, we can learn the guidelines and try to implement them as much as we can, reviewing them periodically to refresh our minds. We may choose one guideline to emphasize this week in our daily lives. Next week, we can add another, and so on. In that way, we'll slowly build up the good habits of practicing all of them.