Author Topic: Respect for other religions  (Read 15108 times)

Jessie Fong

Respect for other religions
« on: July 02, 2012, 12:45:04 AM »
THE BLIND MEN AND THE ELEPHANT - a Story from the Buddhist Sutra

Several citizens ran into a hot argument about God and different religions, and each one could not agree to a common answer. So they came to the Lord Buddha to find out what exactly God looks like.
The Buddha asked his disciples to get a large magnificent elephant and four blind men. He then brought the four blind men to the elephant and told them to find out what the elephant would "look" like.

The first blind man touched the elephant leg and reported that it "looked" like a pillar.
The second blind man touched the elephant tummy and said that an elephant was a wall.
The third blind man touched the elephant ear and said that it was a piece of cloth.
The fourth blind man held on to the tail and described the elephant as a piece of rope.
 And all of them ran into a hot argument about the "appearance" of an elephant.

The Buddha asked the citizens: "Each blind man had touched the elephant but each of them gives a different description of the animal. Which answer is right?"

"All of them are right," was the reply.

"Why? Because everyone can only see part of the elephant. They are not able to see the whole animal. The same applies to God and to religions. No one will see Him completely." By this parable, the Lord Buddha teaches that we should respect all other ligitimate religions and their beliefs.

If you were any of the men blind, how would you describe what you felt when touching the elephant?

ratanasutra

Re: Respect for other religions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:53:23 AM »
Wow!! this is a good story to share with other when we come across the argument of religious, i must remember it well.   

If i was a blind man who touched the elephant i would say it look like a wood when i touched the ivory of elephant. 

Jessie Fong

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:31:53 AM »
Wow!! this is a good story to share with other when we come across the argument of religious, i must remember it well.   

If i was a blind man who touched the elephant i would say it look like a wood when i touched the ivory of elephant.

I would find it difficult to answer this because I am not blind and have never been blind.  Coming into this world with all my senses in this human body, I have grown up with good eyesight and thus have been exposed to and used to seeing.

To someone born blind, he is only used to the feel of shapes and can only compare by touch.  By the above tale, we are taught to respect other religions and beliefs.  Thus to foster a better understanding and acceptance of each other.

bambi

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:30:20 AM »
Yes Jessie, respect all other religions and beliefs. That is the most important thing to do. Even HHDL always say so. I wouldn't want anyone to disrespect what I believe and have faith in. What Buddha said here is that, we all have our different perception as to what something should be. We are all definitely 'blind' in our own ways. That is why with our ignorance and narrow mindedness, we choose to 'see' what we believe and cannot accept other's idea.

Dhiman

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »
If you were any of the men blind, how would you describe what you felt when touching the elephant?

I concur with Jessie's point but if I were to visualize I would say it looks like a huge snake if I touched its trunk. However I think my answer does not matter because it is just part of the point that Buddha has proven.

I have always thought that the major religions of the world work towards the same objective of developing the good nature within human beings despite philosophical differences. On an individual level, it might be relevant to have only one truth and religion but it would definitely not work the same for the community at large. Therefore it is important for all religions to respect one another and to recognize the value of each other's tradition.

Would be interesting to know what others think about religious harmony and their stand regarding this matter.

biggyboy

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »
How apt this story is to the world we live in today. Every other war or conflict is somehow connected to people of different religion. The Muslims against the Christians and so on.

If everyone can learn to respect each others religion, show tolerance, understanding and accommodation, there would be less conflict in the world and the world would be a much better place to live in.

That's to show how one's limited views, delusions and behaviour can affect one's perception and reaction towards others and situations.

bambi

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »
How apt this story is to the world we live in today. Every other war or conflict is somehow connected to people of different religion. The Muslims against the Christians and so on.

If everyone can learn to respect each others religion, show tolerance, understanding and accommodation, there would be less conflict in the world and the world would be a much better place to live in.

That's to show how one's limited views, delusions and behaviour can affect one's perception and reaction towards others and situations.

Yes biggyboy. Most of the wars have something to do with religion. It is really sad. All the people who are not involved in it suffer tremendously. No matter what, it is always out of ego and pride. I want to win because my religion is right and your religion is wrong. But there is no right and wrong, practice from whatever your religion and be better. There are no religion that teach one to be harmful or evil. It is from our own delusion and ignorance. But this will not be as the wars are still going on.  :(

brian

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 04:55:16 PM »
This story explains to the many issues in our daily life activities isn't it? Either for this particular issue (inter-religious) or other matters which we will have different perception on. Who is right and who is wrong will not matter anyways. The truth will prevail and nobody is supposed to suppress or forcing an idea onto anyone really. We are human and we have the capacity to relate and think whichever logic way we can. Any religion have its meaning towards life and values, why criticize every other religions that we are not in and not familiar with? In turn we have to respect each others view and be harmony.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 10:56:48 AM »
Great! Lord Buddha is giving an logical explanation on how our mind works based on what we had experienced although we might encounter the same situation. We all are the same from the outside but from within yet we are very different. Everyone has their own individual path to walk. Although the four blind man were in the same situation yet their perception of the matter were very different. No matter what it is we must not disrespect others opinion or beliefs. We might learn something new from them instead.

Aurore

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 12:16:13 PM »
We all go to schools where we learn science, maths, english, accounts as a tool for the betterment of this life's sustainable future. I always see religion like a school where we go and get education on how to become a better human for future lives. One of the reasons people turn to religion because they know there is an after life whether it's a new life on earth, in heaven or hell. This means our minds does not stop after we die. Where will we be after death?How do we tackle life's issues? What is the meaning of life? We are lost and need guidance which religion can give.

Some may think ... "but my teacher is a better teacher than yours". "My teacher teaches the right method". Just like how there are better universities than others. Well, no doubt it could be true ... but in this "blind" case, we can't know for sure can we? Even if we feel we know for sure ... be grateful that you have the fortune to be in the better school than others. Why need to make a point that your school is the right one and the best. Ego is not what religion teaches and with that kind of attitude, it reflects poorly on your religion.

dondrup

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »
All sentient beings have different karma and obscuration in their minds.  When they perceive the same object, they would have different opinions on how the object would look like.  Take for example, when the humans look at a glass of water, the gods would perceive the water as nectar whereas the hungry ghosts will perceive the water as blood and pus!  Hence unless our mind is completely free of any obscurations, we cannot perceive any object as is.  Furthermore, on a conventional level, every object (sentient being, god, religion, etc.) is unique because these objects arise from unique causes and conditions.  Hence, there is no point for the citizens to argue on the differences of god and other religions on the conventional level.  However, if we perceive all ojects at their ultimate level, they are of the same nature - empty of inherent existence!

sonamdhargey

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 01:08:11 PM »
Thanks for the story Jessie. Well that makes us all different even if we are not blind. The mind works based on past experiences and beliefs. The story pointed that we have already have a preconceived thoughts and based on that we make judgement and decisions.

Many indifferences arises from opposing views, which until today the are causes of disharmony. I would say believe in what you believe in and not imposed it on others. Lead by example and be the inspiration for others to see the positive side of you and whatever you believe in. When you're happy and peaceful, everyone around you will be happy and peaceful.

ilikeshugden

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 01:34:53 PM »
If I were a blind man, I would not touch the elephant and make my own assumptions. i would listen for the sounds of the elephant. I would also observe the movements the creature makes. If all else fails, I would ask someone who can see. In this case, the elephant is like teachings of compassion, wisdom and stuff like that. Then, the blind men are like us, people who are usually very small minded and does not see very far. Then, the men who touch the different parts of the elephant are like people who are in religions. So, one can say something and the other may disapprove. But in the end, it is still the same elephant.

RedLantern

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 02:07:15 PM »
It is important to respect other people and their religion,no matter what our beliefs are.We express that sense of wonder and awe in countless ways in faith and spirituality which is a common tie.
We have to educate ourselves and learn about the major world religions,their beliefs and values.Do not forget the lesser known religion too.There are books and movies available that delve into other religions.
Explore other religions as it is a great way to reach out to a larger part of your community.
Maintain an attitude of respect by suspending judgement and being diplomatic.Ask questions in a respecful and polite manner of other religions.
We are all human beings and are hoping and wishing for the same basic things in this life.

Midakpa

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »
Every religion has its own concept of what is regarded as the goal of spiritual life. For some religions, the final goal is eternal life in heaven or paradise. For some, the ultimate aim is the attainment of the union of universal consciousness. Some believe that the ending of suffering or cyclic existence is the final goal.

Every religion has a method to realise the desired goal. Some require the follower to surrender to God. Some call for stringent asceticism. Others recommend animal sacrifices and many kinds of rituals and mantras. And some practice concentration of the mind through meditation.

A wise monk once said, "Given such a wide variety of approaches, interpretations and goals of different religions adopted by mankind, it is useful for people not to hold dogmatic views about their religion but to be open to and tolerant of other religious views."

The Buddha said, "One must not accept my teachings from reverence, but first try them as gold is tried by fire."

Thus, it is important to maintain an open mind towards religious doctrines and remember that a religion should be practised for the welfare, freedom and happiness of all living beings. Religious principles should be used to improve the quality of life of all beings.