Author Topic: 11th Panchen Lama  (Read 16632 times)

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
Re: 11th Panchen Lama
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »
Below is what His Holiness just said about China's Panchen Lama. It implies that the China's Panchen Lama has a mind on his own and not a puppet after all?  Perhaps he really is an incarnation of the 10th Panchen Lama who submitted a 70,000 character petition demanding that the Chinese Government investigate their policy in Tibet.

I was surprised, therefore, by the Dalai Lama’s comments about the spurious Panchen. He mentioned 2008, when an uprising swept throughout Tibet proper and regions of China populated by many Tibetans. Chinese properties were destroyed, some Han were killed, and a number of Tibetans are estimated to have been killed at the hands of the Chinese police and army.

“Of course Beijing wanted the boy to denounce the uprising,” the Dalai Lama observed. “But some of his friends have told me that he remains a Tibetan deep inside and preferred to remain silent. Beijing couldn’t use him.”

By Jonathan Mirsky, The New York Review of Books, posted on http://tibet.net/2012/06/22/why-the-dalai-lama-is-hopeful/

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 03:33:27 AM »
Below is what His Holiness just said about China's Panchen Lama. It implies that the China's Panchen Lama has a mind on his own and not a puppet after all?  Perhaps he really is an incarnation of the 10th Panchen Lama who submitted a 70,000 character petition demanding that the Chinese Government investigate their policy in Tibet.

I was surprised, therefore, by the Dalai Lama’s comments about the spurious Panchen. He mentioned 2008, when an uprising swept throughout Tibet proper and regions of China populated by many Tibetans. Chinese properties were destroyed, some Han were killed, and a number of Tibetans are estimated to have been killed at the hands of the Chinese police and army.

“Of course Beijing wanted the boy to denounce the uprising,” the Dalai Lama observed. “But some of his friends have told me that he remains a Tibetan deep inside and preferred to remain silent. Beijing couldn’t use him.”

By Jonathan Mirsky, The New York Review of Books, posted on http://tibet.net/2012/06/22/why-the-dalai-lama-is-hopeful/

Now this is interesting because if HHDL shows any form of endorsement for the 11th Panchen Lama, we can be sure that China will definitely remove him or replace him in some way. If he was a fake Panchen Lama and that the Chinese is just using him as a puppet, he would have been tortured to make political statements and he would have been punished for not complying. Even now, it seems like the Panchen Lama is not speaking up on self immolations as it would make the situation worse if HHDL or Panchen Lama says it but if CTA says it, it would be perfectly acceptable as this is what a government should do and China would not have seen that as yet another attempt by the Dalai Lama to destabilize China. That is the only clink in China's armor, but at the same time it will also cause untold suffering to all the chinese citizens and cause the collapse of the world economy as we know it.

Perhaps this is a very subtle sign that the Dalai Lama wants to tell us that the Chinese Panchen Lama is the real deal and that they are still working together to benefit others, HHDL from the outside, Panchen Lama from the inside. This is very good news indeed! Thanks for sharing Vajraprotector as this does show HHDL's discreet endorsement for him.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »
It is perhaps not a surprise that Gyalchen Norbu is performing the role of the Panchen Lama very well, and even having the same wisdom as if he was the actual Panchen Lama. His ability to explain the Dharma using terms shows that he is a very learned person for his age, and the way he dodges controversial questions sounds pretty much like the way the Dalai Lama handles them too.

Is it just me, or is he becoming more and more similar to the previous Panchen Lama?

He took no questions on Thursday at a Buddhist forum in the former British colony of Hong Kong. He stayed away from controversy, mostly using esoteric terms to talk about Buddhism and its emphasis on inner peace to achieve social harmony.
"Current society values external science and technology over the inner sciences," he said in Mandarin.
"The three vices contaminate the self. The sins spread and (spiritual) corruption becomes rampant. The body loses balance and the environment is tainted."

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 05:26:01 PM »
Here's another interesting news on the Panchen Lama. It is an indian take on his comments about self immolation in China:

China presses Panchen Lama to address unrest in Tibet
Last Updated: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 14:35

Beijing: As suicides continued unabated in Tibet, China for the first time pressed Panchen Lama, the Tibetan Buddhist monk being groomed to counter the Dalai Lama's influence, to campaign against the self immolations, especially among young monks.

22-year-old 11th Panchen Lama Bainqen Erdini Qoigyijabu, who was appointed in 1995 by China replacing his Dalai Lama appointed "predecessor" Choekyi Galtsen at the age of six in a controversial circumstances, began taking active role in the recent months with high-profile publicity from the state-owned media.

Mostly based in Beijing, the young Lama, who is also the Vice President of Buddhist Association and nominated member of the Chinese People's Consultative Conference, for the first time stepped out of main land China in April this year and attended a Buddhist conference in Hong Kong.

Since last week he is touring Lhasa, the provincial capital of the Tibet Autonomous Region, making high-profile visits to Buddhist temples and monasteries and urging monks to safeguard China's interests and work for social stability.

Described by China's official Xinhua news agency as "a spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhism", the young Lama Thursday visited the Tibet Buddhist Theological Institute in Lhasa and called on monks to "love their country and abide by laws".

Opened in October 2011, the institute hosts 150 students including monks from various Tibetan Buddhist sects.

After performing the rituals, Panchen Lama, regarded as the second most highest monk after the Dalai Lama, asked students to abide by national laws and better serve the country and its people.

"I hope you can make good use of the sound learning conditions that the institute provides to learn the essence of Buddhism and safeguard our country and serve its people, so as to be true Buddhists," he said.

In his meeting with local leader on July 24, the Lama said it is both the "basics" and responsibility for a religious person to help people do good deeds, and promote harmony and social development by religious preaching.

"And religious people should abide by the laws and religious code of conduct themselves," he said, apparently referring to the recurring suicides which the Chinese government assert goes against the basic tenets of Buddhism and criticises the Dalai Lama for not condemning them.

His comments were made in the back drop of 44 self immolations by monks and other Tibetans in different parts of Tibet but mostly in Abba county in Sichuan province.

The suicides were stated to be aimed at protesting high security as well as to demand the return of the Dalai Lama from exile.

PTI

diamond girl

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 08:32:49 AM »
This issue and that of the Karmapa are disturbing that in religion politics can pick and choose the karma of people...sigh...sad, sad

Before reading what Big Uncle said, it was my strong view that the 11th Panchen Lama is merely a puppet that the China government controls so that eventually after the passing of HHDL, this Panchen Lama will rule Buddhism under the China way.

However, now following several news and videos on this young Panchen Lama, I am of the opinion now that perhaps he can become a powerful Buddhist leader in the future. Perhaps it does not matter whether he is the "real" one. I know that I sometimes sound like I contradict myself, but at times one's view on a situation is not permanent as we gain more knowledge and the view can change.

I have also started to wonder if the "missing" Panchen Lama does exist? What do you think?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »
This issue and that of the Karmapa are disturbing that in religion politics can pick and choose the karma of people...sigh...sad, sad

Before reading what Big Uncle said, it was my strong view that the 11th Panchen Lama is merely a puppet that the China government controls so that eventually after the passing of HHDL, this Panchen Lama will rule Buddhism under the China way.

However, now following several news and videos on this young Panchen Lama, I am of the opinion now that perhaps he can become a powerful Buddhist leader in the future. Perhaps it does not matter whether he is the "real" one. I know that I sometimes sound like I contradict myself, but at times one's view on a situation is not permanent as we gain more knowledge and the view can change.

I have also started to wonder if the "missing" Panchen Lama does exist? What do you think?

Since a highly attained lama can have many different emanations, it is highly possible that CTA's Panchen Lama is just a distraction or a dud in this situation. If HHDL knew for sure that declaring the actual Panchen Lama would cause him to "disappear", why would he do it anyway unless it is all part of a carefully calculated plan for something to happen? Perhaps, China's Panchen Lama is the real one and HHDL's one is a fake one to distract both the CTA and China from suspecting anything. Or perhaps, HHDL is aware that if China takes on their version of the Panchen Lama, they will promote and train him up as per the traditional methods and he will grow up to take on the role of the real Panchen Lama and take care of the people of Tibet in his absence, and by extension, China. In any case, the whole plan is working and the Chinese Panchen Lama is so far doing very well in what he is supposed to be doing: leading the Buddhist community of China, although he has not reached Tibet yet.

Tibet wont be that easy for the Chinese Panchen Lama to penetrate as there are still many dissidents working for the CTA and spreading news that the Chinese Panchen Lama is not the real one and to not believe in him. It is due to this factor that perhaps, the Chinese Panchen Lama finds it difficult to penetrate Tibet. Another factor could be his age, as not many people would want to listen to a young leader as opposed to a older, more seasoned one. However, I believe that if the Chinese Panchen Lama resumes the work of the 10th Panchen Lama in Tibet, people will have no choice but to give in and they will take him as the real Panchen Lama. What is interesting is, Renji, the 10th Panchen Lama's daughter accepts the 11th Panchen Lama as the reincarnation of the 10th. She is feted by both the CTA and China which makes it very interesting if she sees him as the real incarnation. It would indirectly mean that he is the real deal. Lets hope that he will take lead of Tibet in the Dalai Lama's stead.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 05:50:50 PM »
Seems like China has successfully pressured the Panchen Lama to say something about the self immolations and riots, but his statement is general and somehow, does reflect Buddhist values for the said situation. Political or not, I think that he is still doing a good job in being the role of a Buddhist leader.

Panchen Lama asks Tibetan monks to work for nation unity
Last Updated: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 15:59

Beijing: Chinese government-backed Panchen Lama has asked Tibetan Buddhist monks to interpret religious doctrines "correctly" to promote national unity, against the backdrop of unrest in the Himalayan region which saw over 50 self-immolation attempts, mostly by those seeking return of the Dalai Lama.

Addressing 50 Buddhist monks at Xigaze prefecture in Tibet, the 11th Panchen Lama, Bainqen Erdini Qoigyijabu, spoke about the need for promoting patriotism, rule of law, ethnic unity, social harmony and environmental protection, local officials said.

The 22-year-old Panchen Lama, who was nominated in 1995 by China replacing his Dalai Lama-appointed "predecessor", has started taking active role in recent months as Tibet and the prefectures around it witnessed about 50 self-immolation bids, mostly by monks calling for return of the Dalai Lama from exile.

In his address, the Lama asked monks to interpret the Buddhist doctrines correctly and hoped they would contribute more in promoting national and ethnic unity, social harmony and world peace.

"Buddhism is a recipe for ending secular sufferings and dispelling bad Karma for the masses. It can guide people to ditch the evil for the virtue," state-run Xinhua news agency quoted him as saying.

Xigaze is home to Panchen Lamas, regarded as the most important seat of Tibetan Buddhism after the Dalai Lama.

Praising Lama's speech, Gongpo Tashi, a senior official of Tibet, alleged that a small number of people are distorting the Buddhist doctrines mixing them with calls for the "Tibet Independence", which serves as a hidden political agenda.

The rightful interpretation of the Buddhist doctrines by senior monks is a measure to "clarify matters and get to the bottom of things," Xinhua quoted him as saying.

PTI

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 06:28:37 PM »
The Dalai Lama has mentioned that there may be no more incarnation of a Dalai Lama, not that he will not incarnate, for someone like him, emanation of Chenrizig, but sounds like not take on the position of the 15 Dalai Lama.

Historically the Panchen Lama would ascend the throne.  This article is about the 11 Panchen Lama.  Very interesting to read and see what the future holds at least for now.

kelly

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 07:54:49 AM »
I do not see why we as a practitioner of DS should comment about how true is the current Panchen Lama the most important thing is China accepted him as a current Panchen Lama he is allow to spread the Buddha teaching and let accept it he is bright at age 20 can pass through the geshe exam how many of the people can do that that is already proof his level of intelligent as a Panchen Lama.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 04:33:33 AM »
Gangchen Lama has met the 11th Panchen Lama before as well, and Gangchen Lama is clairvoyant from what I have read from so far from testimonies and etc. Not only that this 11th Panchen Lama stands to benefit many sentient beings, especially the Chinese people. China is important for the world in more than one sense.

May the 11th Panchen Lama manifest his Buddhahood for the benefit of many.

A grand Buddhist ritual, offered by the 11th Panchen Lama's guru Jamyang Gaytso, attracted thousands of devotees and tourists in northwest China's Gansu Province.

The four-day ritual started Saturday in Xiahe County, home to Labrang Monastery -- one of the six major Gelugpa monasteries in China. More than 110,000 Tibetan Buddhism devotees and tourists from Gansu, Sichuan, Qinghai, Tibet and Yunnan attended it on the first day.

The ritual was organized at the request of local devotees and approved by the provincial religious authorities. Some 500 government employees were mobilized to serve the ritual and help ensure the traffic order, food safety, medical service and materials supply.

Kalachakra, which means the wheel of time, is a key ritual of the Gelugpa sect of the Tibetan Buddhism.

Jamyang Gyatso, a native of Xiahe, entered Labrang Monastery at the age of eight. He earned the Gesi title, bestowed only to masters of Tibetan Buddhism, and was chosen in 1998 to guide the Buddhist studies of the 11th Panchen Lama.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 04:35:30 AM »
The link to the news is here
http://www.ecns.cn/2015/06-28/170938.shtml