Author Topic: Self-immolation, again, now in Lhasa  (Read 83125 times)

brian

• Email
Re: Self-immolation, again, now in Lhasa
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2012, 01:51:46 PM »
And then again, i would urge anyone who is thinking of doing self-immolation should just think three times if not twice. To make a statement by destroying oneself is not going to help the situation but i feel will worsen it rather. This will cause uproar in the community and sorrow to the family members of the person. Aren't we taught to always solve misunderstandings or issues with a peaceful method? Aren't we all supposed to be kind to others? Aren't we supposed to be more understanding to others? Where has all the qualities one human being should possess? I think the answer is simple, degeneration. That is why the practice of Dorje Shugden is highly needed in today's degenerate times!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2012, 02:49:44 PM »
And then again, i would urge anyone who is thinking of doing self-immolation should just think three times if not twice. To make a statement by destroying oneself is not going to help the situation but i feel will worsen it rather. This will cause uproar in the community and sorrow to the family members of the person. Aren't we taught to always solve misunderstandings or issues with a peaceful method? Aren't we all supposed to be kind to others? Aren't we supposed to be more understanding to others? Where has all the qualities one human being should possess? I think the answer is simple, degeneration. That is why the practice of Dorje Shugden is highly needed in today's degenerate times!

To me, the act of self immolations that are in Tibet, and the way how the Tibetans justify it even though everyone can see very clearly that it is wrong shows me that the Tibetans would believe in something that is not real as long as it justifies what they want, like for instance, in this case, their independence although it is but a dream for now and will remain to be unless they improve in many ways. CTA needs to step up and learn to talk like a country by not covering their faults that are as clear as daylight, especially with regards to the ban on Dorje Shugden which goes against all that they are fight against: oppression, lies, tyranny, cover-ups, disappearing people -- every single time CTA does and action to harm the Dorje Shugden practitioners, their karma comes back that one of their spies and representatives in Nepal or China get caught or disappears. And again, other than being a news item on Phayul (of course, the story is glossed up and edited to sound like a poor me story to get the sympathy of the readers), nothing else happens.

All Tibetan sources of the self immolation reports point to one thing: that the self immolators died for the betterment of the Tibetan people, probably by promoting arrests in that area and causing the police to clamp down on that area more. Perhaps, the areas of the town needed more policemen or that their family members required police protection which is why they did what they did? And that is what they called dying for the culture and freedom of Tibet? How would anyone come up to such a conclusion on that it would be for the betterment of the country unless of course, someone has been talking to them and putting ideas into their head. I wonder who would do such a thing? Hmmmm

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »
Yes. Do hold prayers and show the whole world that you do support the self immolations. Wrong move. Especially on Phayul. Why pray for them? what about the lady who immolated herself because she lost her land? did you prayers for her? but you did for these two!

Now it is clear who has been encouraging the self immolations.

CTA holds prayer service for Ngawang Norphel
Phayul[Friday, August 03, 2012 16:15]

Tibetans in the exile headquarters of Dharamshala holding a prayer service for Ngawang Norphel at the Tsug-la Khang temple on August 2, 2012. (Phayul photo/Norbu Wangyal)

DHARAMSHALA, August 3: Hundreds of Tibetan including the Tibetan Chief Justice Commissioners, Kalons, and members of Parliament attended a prayer service yesterday held in honour of Ngawang Norphel, the Tibetan self-immolator, who passed away in a Chinese hospital on July 30.

The prayer service held at the Tsug-la Khang, the main temple, was organised by the Department of Religion and Culture of the Central Tibetan Administration.

Ngawang Norphel, 21 and Tenzin Khedup, 24, had set themselves on fire in Zatoe town of Keygudo, Kham on June 20, protesting China’s continued occupation of Tibet. Both of them were carrying Tibetan national flags in their hands as they lit themselves up.

Tenzin Khedup sucummbed to his injuries shortly after his protest while Ngawang Norphel was taken to a hospital in a critical condition.

Ngawang Norphel’s father Lhakpa Dhondup, a native of Zurtso Truldul village in the Nyalam region of western Tibet, was informed about his son’s condition only a month or so later.

Phegyel, a close family member, who now lives in exile told Phayul that although the father and son were allowed to meet, they were constantly under Chinese surveillance.

“Whenever Ngawang Norphel, who was severely burned and in a very serious condition, tried to utter a few words to his father, Chinese officials at once came to interrogate him and ask questions,” Phegyel said. “Then he gradually stopped talking.”

Ngawang Norphel passed away on July 30 at around 3:30 pm.

In a video footage immediately shot after their self-immolation protest, Ngawang Norphel, severely burned, could be seen shouting, “What has happened to my Land of Snow?” and also enquiring for his “sworn brother” Tenzin Khedup.

Although under immense visible pain, Ngawang Norphel says that their sacrifice is for the sake of Tibet.

“We two “sworn brothers”, we won’t fail next time. [This is] for the sake of Tibet. We are in the land of snow. If we don’t have our freedom, cultural traditions and language, it would be extremely embarrassing for us,” Ngawang Norphel says.

In a note left behind by the two young Tibetans before taking their drastic action, they urged all Tibetans to be united in the fight for Tibet’s freedom and the return of the Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama from exile.

Since 2009, 45 Tibetans have set themselves on fire demanding freedom in Tibet and the return of His Holiness the Dalai Lama from exile.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2012, 11:27:51 AM »
Here's another self immolation case and with another fake report from the CTA about it. Everyone knows by now that the self immolations are caused by the CTA. Why does the US talk about the self immolations and ignore the Dorje Shugden ban? For political reasons of course. It would be fair for the US to talk about both the ban and the self immolations because their nature is the same: the result of suppression and oppression. This shows that the US is not sincere in helping the CTA and CTA just allows themselves to be used by the US. Sad.

Breaking: Reports of another self-immolation in Tibet
Phayul[Monday, August 06, 2012 20:28]
DHARAMSHALA, August 6: There are reports of yet another self-immolation protest in Tibet as the fiery wave continues to burn across the Tibetan plateau.

Various sources in exile are confirming today’s self-immolation protest by a Tibetan in the beleaguered Ngaba region of eastern Tibet.

As of now, there are no details available on the identity of the self-immolator.

Talking to Phayul, Kanyag Tsering, a researcher at the exile base of Kirti Monastery in Dharamshala confirmed the reports.

“Yes, there was another self-immolation protest in Ngaba today but as of now we have very little details,” Tsering said.

Another monk in south India who has close contacts in the region, while confirming today’s self-immolation protest, said that all communication lines in the region have stopped working.

“According to the information that I have received, a Tibetan woman set herself on fire today in Ngaba,” Ghangri told Phayul. “But as of now it is impossible to get in touch with people in the region as all communication lines are not working.”

London based rights group, Free Tibet, also reported on today’s self-immolation protest but noted that the self-immolator was male.

“A man set fire to himself in Ngaba Town, Eastern Tibet at 5:30pm local time today,” Free Tibet said in a release. “According to an eyewitness, Chinese state security personnel quickly extinguished the flames at the scene on the main road in Ngaba. Locals now refer to this street as Martyr’s Street because of the number of self-immolations that have been carried out here.”

“The man who set fire to himself today was reported to be still alive, his upper body badly injured, when security personnel drove him away in a vehicle.”

With today’s self-immolation protest, 46 Tibetans have now set themselves on fire, since 2009, demanding freedom in Tibet and the return of the Dalai Lama from exile.

The United States last month blamed the Chinese government for the self-immolations in Tibet in an annual report on religious freedom.

“Official interference in the practice of these religious traditions exacerbated grievances and contributed to at least 12 self-immolations by Tibetans in 2011," the US State Department said in its annual International Religious Freedom Report.

The elected head of the Tibetan people, Kalon Tripa Dr Lobsang Sangay has called the self-immolations “political action” and blamed China’s failed policies in Tibet - founded on “political oppression, social marginalisation, cultural assimilation and environmental destruction” - as root causes of the protests.

“To understand these acts, it is crucial to know that within China, there is no room for freedom of speech and conventional forms of protest. A participant in a simple demonstration runs a high risk of arrest, torture and even death,” Dr Sangay had said.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »
Here's another self immolation case in Kham. Again, there are no details on why did the self immolator did so. Perhaps she was tricked? or threatened? Does it  not raise any questions on why there are no letters or materials from the self immolators on why did they decide to take such a decision? Clearly, CTA is hiding something. I am still surprised as to why has nobody noticed this yet.

Breaking: A Tibetan woman burns self to death, Second self-immolation in two days
Phayul[Tuesday, August 07, 2012 15:01]

A Tibetan woman identified as Dolkar seen here with her hands clasped in prayer, after she set herself on fire near the Tsoe Monastery in Kanlho, eastern Tibeton August 7, 2012.
DHARAMSHALA, August 7: Latest reports coming out of Tibet indicate that a Tibetan woman set herself on fire today in an apparent protests against China’s continued occupation of Tibet.

Tibetan media outlets are identifying the Tibetan woman as Dolkar, around 26 years of age. She is believed to have succumbed to her injuries.

Dolkar set herself on fire near the Tsoe Monastery in the Amdo Kanlho region of eastern Tibet at around 2.30 pm (local time).

Pictures coming out of the region show the disficured body of Dolkar lying on the ground with her hands clasped in prayer.

Eyewitnesses have been quoted as saying that although people who were around the monastery tried to douse the fire but Dolkar succumbed to her injuries at her protest site.

The monks at the Tsoe Monastery were able to carry Dolkar’s body inside the monastery, where it is being currently kept.

A growing build of local Tibetans at the monastery is also being reported.

Dolka’r self-immolation protest comes just a day after Lobsang Tsultrim, a 21 year of monk at the Kirti Monastery set himself on fire in the beleaguered Ngaba region.

The wave of self-immolations that began in 2009 has now witnessed 47 Tibetans set themselves on fire demanding freedom in Tibet and the return of the Dalai Lama from exile.

Dolkar is the eight women to have self-immolated in Tibet.

As of yet no personal details on Dolkar are available.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »
Here's some updates regarding the previous news of self immolation of the woman. I find it important for us to understand and to know about these self immolations because we do care about the CTA and Tibetans and their plight, and also the current situation and also with hopes that since nobody can help these self immolation victims now, that Dorje Shugden would help guide them after such a painful death, and the further pain they will experience when they discover and realize that whatever that they were doing did not help Tibet at all.

That aside, is it just me, or are self immolations actually glorified? If they are, it would inspire more and more people to actually do them...

Tibetans warn of major protests as tension rises over Dolkar Tso’s self-immolation
Phayul[Thursday, August 09, 2012 04:19]

http://phayul.com/images/thumb.aspx?src=120809042754GS.gif
Labrang Tashikhyil monks protest after being stopped from proceeding to Tsoe to pay their last respects to self-immolator Dolkar Tso, August 8, 2012. (Photo/RFA)
DHARAMSHALA, August 9: Around 300 monks sat down on the streets for a prayer protest in eastern Tibet after they were barred by Chinese authorities from paying their last respects to Dolkar Tso, Wednesday afternoon.

Dolkar Tso, mother of a 5-year-old daughter and a 2-year-old son, set herself on fire near the Tsoe Monastery in Kanlho on August 7. According to exile sources with contacts in the region, Dolkar Tso raised slogans for the return of His Holiness the Dalai Lama from exile and shouted that there was no freedom in Tibet.

She later succumbed to her injuries.

The monks from the nearby Labrang Tashikhyil Monastery were traveling in a large convoy of vehicles to Tsoe when local Chinese authorities apprehended them.

The authorities reportedly told the monks that their actions were illegal and warned that their vehicles will be confiscated if they proceeded further. They were also threatened with further actions.

However, the monks declared that they will walk on foot if necessary and warned of a major uprising if they were stopped.

As tension began to flare, representatives of the Monastery’s administration came and pleaded with the monks to stop their march. Compelled to listen to the requests, the monks instead sat down on the street and started offering prayers for Dolkar Tso.

Latest reports indicate that monks and lay Tibetans from the region have started joining the prayer service in large numbers.

There are also reports of growing tensions in Tsoe after two monks of the Tsoe Monastery were arrested late in the night of Dolkar Tso’s self-immolation protest by Chinese authorities on charges of sheltering her body inside the monastery.

The monks at the Tsoe Monastery had carried Dolkar Tso’s body inside the monastery premises immediately after extinguishing the flames. Later, the monks also helped carry her body back to the village where she was born, Tasur, in Nawu Township, around 10 km from Tsoe.

According to reports, when the fire was put out from her body, Dolkar Tso, barely alive, pleaded with the monks to hit her on the head with a stone and kill her so that she will not fall into Chinese hands alive.

Following the late night arrest of the monks, Chinese security personnel in about a dozen vehicles arrived at the Monastery early Wednesday morning to arrest 17 more monks.

A large number of monks and laymen then gathered at the Monastery to prevent the arrest and also to demand the release of the monks earlier detained.

According to exile sources, the gathered Tibetans have pledged to continue their protest.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2012, 04:43:42 PM »
i personally find this latest self-immolation particularly sad as this lady leaves two young children - a 5 year old and a 2 year old behind.. and for what? Did her death change anything for the independence of Tibet? As a Buddhist watching the continuous slew of self-immolations, I still think that suicide is a sin, regardless of the motivation. I do not see any positive effect of their deaths. Instead, I see futility and if anything, there would be more resolve from the Chinese authorities NOT to give in to this emotional blackmail. If all the international pressure from media and governments (at least those who dare to be vocal) does not pressure the Chinese authorities to waver even slightly with regard to the Tibetan issue, I doubt that the self-immolations will.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2012, 05:05:14 PM »
Why do public prayers when you KNOW this will happen next? They actually encourage the self immolations, and more statements that are condescending to self immolations released by the CTA as well as more prayer sessions encourage even more of these acts. What will it take CTA to know that increasing self immolations do not help anyone at all but it makes things a lot worse and it just keeps going and going: self immolation occurs, CTA says it feels sorry for the family of the self immolation victim and does prayers, nearby monasteries takes the cue from CTA and follows, more people think self immolation is a glorious thing and start doing it. What better way to die than to be remembered as someone who sacrificed themselves for the Tibetans, even tho in reality it only summoned the chinese troops to that area...

Breaking: Tibet continues to burn, Man sets self on fire
Phayul[Friday, August 10, 2012 14:58]
DHARAMSHALA, August 10: In confirmed reports coming out of Tibet, yet another Tibetan has set himself on fire today in an apparent protest against China’s continued occupation of Tibet.

The self-immolator is being identified as Choepa, a Tibetan man around 24 years of age. The exile base of Kirti Monastery in Dharamshala, in a statement released just now said that Choepa carried out his fiery protest in the Me’uruma region of Amdo Ngaba, eastern Tibet at 10.15 am (local time).

As of now, there is no information on Choepa’s condition or his whereabouts.

The statement quoted eyewitness as saying that Choepa raised slogans before he was overpowered by Chinese security personnel and taken to an unknown location.

“Choepa’s body was engulfed in high flames as he raised slogans,” the release said. “Within minutes, Chinese security personnel arrived at the scene and doused the flames on his body before forcibly taking him away.”

Eyewitnesses have also raised serious concerns over Choepa’s survival.

“People who witnessed the fiery protest have said that Choepa has very little chances of survival as his body was severely burned,” the release said. “But as of now there is no confirmation whether Choepa is dead or alive.”

Choepa’s parents are Paelo and Madron.

Kangay Tsering, a researcher at the Kirti Monastery said that following the self-immolation protest, the situation in Me'uruma has become tense.

“Me'uruma is currently filled with armed Chinese forces as the situation there continues to become more tense,” Tsering said.

This is the third self-immolation in Tibet in the past five-days alone.

Since 2009, the growing wave of self-immolations has witnessed 48 Tibetans set themselves on fire demanding freedom in Tibet and the return of His Holiness the Dalai Lama from exile.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2012, 08:24:26 AM »
The previous self immolator passed away and left behind a grieving family...

Self-immolator Choepa passes away
Phayul[Saturday, August 11, 2012 23:45]
DHARAMSHALA, August 11: Choepa, the 24 –year-old Tibetan who set himself on fire on August 10 in an apparent protest against China’s continued occupation of Tibet, has passed away.

According to the exile base of Kirti Monastery in Dharamshala, Choepa breathed his last hours after his fiery protest in the Me’uruma region of Amdo Ngaba, eastern Tibet.

“Martyr Choepa passed away at around 3 pm (local time) the very day of his protest,” Kanyag Tsering, a researcher at the Kirti Monastery said. “He died while he was being forcibly taken to the nearby region of Barkham.”

Earlier, eyewitnesses had expressed deep concerns over Choepa’s survival after seeing the severe burn injuries that he had sustained.

Choepa, while engulfed in high flames had raised slogans, before Chinese security personnel arrived at the scene within minutes, doused the flames on his body and forcibly took him away to an undisclosed location.

Tsering said the deceased’s family members were denied the right to give him a traditional Tibetan funeral.

“Chinese authorities cremated Choepa’s body in Barkham itself and later handed over his ashes to the family members.”

This wasn’t Choepa’s first peaceful protest against the Chinese government. Earlier this year, he, along with other Tibetans had led a massive candle light vigil and demonstration in Me’uruma on January 23.

“Following the protests, Chinese security personnel carried out a large-scale manhunt for Choepa, but he had managed to escape,” Tsering said.

Choepa is survived by his parents Paelo and Madron and three other siblings.

As an immediate result of Choepa’s self-immolation protest, the situation in Me'uruma has grown tense with the deployment of a large number of Chinese armed forces in the region.

Since 2009, the growing wave of self-immolations has witnessed 48 Tibetans set themselves on fire deman

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 08:19:01 AM »
Oh no. Why is it that Tibet in China has been getting more and more unstable ever since the Kalon Tripa took over? could it be that people have lost confidence in him that they decided to die? Or is it the Kalon Tripa who has been planning this? Several Tibetans, including angrytibetangirl has suspected that the current katri might be encouraging them. I sincerely wish that the katri would say something more concrete and sincere to stop the self immolations, instead of seeing as a method for getting attention.

Breaking: Two Tibetans torch themselves in Ngaba, One protestor beaten to death
Phayul[Tuesday, August 14, 2012 02:10]
DHARAMSHALA, August 14: In alarming reports coming out of Tibet, two more Tibetans set themselves on fire in protest against China’s rule over Tibet, Monday. There are also unconfirmed reports of a third self-immolation that took place later in the evening.

In more disturbing reports, following the self-immolations, local Tibetans carried out a protest in solidarity with the self-immolators, which reportedly resulted in the death of a Tibetan protestor.

According to sources, Chinese security personnel beat the Tibetan man to death.

The self-immolations and protests are being reported from the beleaguered Ngaba region of eastern Tibet, the nerve centre of the ongoing wave of fiery protests.

Tibetan media outlets based in the United States have quoted sources inside the region as saying that the two confirmed self-immolations took place at around 6:50 pm (local time) Monday.

Although Phayul, as of now, cannot independently confirm their identities, media reports have named the self-immolators as Lungtok, a monk from the Kirti Monastery in Ngaba, and Tashi, believed to be a layperson.

Soon after the protests, Chinese security forces arrived in large numbers and forcibly took both of them away.

There are no details currently available on their condition and whereabouts.

Soon after the fiery protests, Chinese security forces imposed severe curbs in the region. Local Tibetans responded with protests in solidarity with the self-immolators and against the Chinese government.

In ensuing “clashes,” a Tibetan man was reportedly beaten to death by Chinese armed forces.

As tensions escalated late into the evening, reports of a third self-immolation by a Kirti Monastery monk at around 8:00 pm (local time), reached exile from the same region.

The incident has not been confirmed as yet although the situation in Ngaba is being described as critical.

Last week alone, three Tibetans; a mother of two, a monk, and a Tibetan nomad, torched themselves, in a further intensification of the self-immolation protests that began in 2009.

The first eight months of 2012 have on an average witnessed nearly five self-immolations every month.

The two confirmed self-immolations on Monday have now taken Tibet’s self-immolation toll to 50.

dsiluvu

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2012, 08:11:25 PM »
Saw this post on FB... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=524869920861446&set=a.345033165511790.99165.100000153284746&type=1&theater

Yesterday two young Tibetans immolated themselves. This takes the count of self-immolations in Tibet to 49. This evening we marched in Dharamsala for all them...

I think it is high time that Lobsang Sangay step up and do something to stop his people from burning themselves!!!

This also shows that the Tibetans themselves are not really listening to their own government for they may have had enough of all talk and no show and well what is the progress they have done thus far... where is the the truth behind Nechung's prediction about Tibetan getting their country back? Clearly they are disappointed and wants to see some real actions. Looks like Tibetans are starting to take matters in to their own hands for there is definitely not enough nurturing towards positive thinking and activities to help calm these disappointed minds. If I was CTA i would focus more on making our people grateful, united and happy being in the peaceful land of India.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2012, 06:34:18 AM »
Here's a full story on what happened. Notice how the news article at Phayul does not focus much on the self immolators, but only on the fact that they self immolated, and how they try to make China look bad with the protestor beaten to death. If you oppose the government of any country in their land, obviously you're gonna get repercussions...so why are they still trying to get sympathy again?

Breaking: Two Tibetans torch themselves in Ngaba, One protestor beaten to death
Phayul[Tuesday, August 14, 2012 02:10]
DHARAMSHALA, August 14: In alarming reports coming out of Tibet, two more Tibetans set themselves on fire in protest against China’s rule over Tibet, Monday. There are also unconfirmed reports of a third self-immolation that took place later in the evening.

In more disturbing reports, following the self-immolations, local Tibetans carried out a protest in solidarity with the self-immolators, which reportedly resulted in the death of a Tibetan protestor.

According to sources, Chinese security personnel beat the Tibetan man to death.

The self-immolations and protests are being reported from the beleaguered Ngaba region of eastern Tibet, the nerve centre of the ongoing wave of fiery protests.

Tibetan media outlets based in the United States have quoted sources inside the region as saying that the two confirmed self-immolations took place at around 6:50 pm (local time) Monday.

Although Phayul, as of now, cannot independently confirm their identities, media reports have named the self-immolators as Lungtok, a monk from the Kirti Monastery in Ngaba, and Tashi, believed to be a layperson.

Soon after the protests, Chinese security forces arrived in large numbers and forcibly took both of them away.

There are no details currently available on their condition and whereabouts.

Soon after the fiery protests, Chinese security forces imposed severe curbs in the region. Local Tibetans responded with protests in solidarity with the self-immolators and against the Chinese government.

In ensuing “clashes,” a Tibetan man was reportedly beaten to death by Chinese armed forces.

As tensions escalated late into the evening, reports of a third self-immolation by a Kirti Monastery monk at around 8:00 pm (local time), reached exile from the same region.

The incident has not been confirmed as yet although the situation in Ngaba is being described as critical.

Last week alone, three Tibetans; a mother of two, a monk, and a Tibetan nomad, torched themselves, in a further intensification of the self-immolation protests that began in 2009.

The first eight months of 2012 have on an average witnessed nearly five self-immolations every month.

The two confirmed self-immolations on Monday have now taken Tibet’s self-immolation toll to 50.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2012, 01:24:39 PM »
The result of the self immolation is that more and more people protesting and what does this achieve? If China has not listened for 50 years, why would they listen now? With these protests, other than being a news item at phayul and giving some false hope to everyone, what else can it accomplish? If protests and self immolations have worked, it would have worked a long time ago and not after 50 self immolations.

Fresh protests in Rebkong
Phayul[Tuesday, August 14, 2012 18:40]

Tibetans in Rebkong, eastern Tibet carrying out a demonstration against local Chinese authorities on August 14, 2012. The banner in Tibetan reads “District authorities are torturing the people.”
DHARAMSHALA, August 14: After yesterday’s self-immolations and protests in Ngaba, fresh public demonstrations are being reported from Rebkong in the tradition Tibetan province of Amdo, north- eastern Tibet.

According to sources in exile with contacts in the region, around three hundreds Tibetans took to the streets today to protest against the local Chinese authority’s heavy-handed behaviour and repressive actions.

Photos that have made its way out to exile show hundreds of Tibetans carrying banners and placards marching in the streets. One of the banners written in Tibetan reads, “District authorities are torturing the people.”

The protests continued into the day with nearly 500 local Tibetans carrying their peaceful demonstration to the regional police station. Latest reports suggest that the number of protesters is swelling as they continue to assemble in front of the police station.

The protests were reportedly sparked by an overnight incident involving local Tibetans and Chinese officials.

Hundreds of Tibetans in Rebkong, eastern Tibet carrying out a demonstration against local Chinese authorities on August 14, 2012.
Sources have told Tibetan media outlets that four Tibetans travelling in a car yesterday evening were confronted by a handful of security personnel believed to be in an inebriated state. The Tibetans were first interrogated and then severely beaten, leaving them maimed. Live ammunitions were also reportedly fired by the security personnel.

One them is believed to be in a critical condition.

Rebkong has witnessed numerous protests in the past, including two self-immolations in March this year involving a 34-year-old monk Jamyang Palden and a 44-year-old father of three Sonam Dargye.

Following Sonam Dargye’s self-immolation protest, around 8000 people gathered in Rebkong to pay their last respects. In one of the biggest ever demonstrations, the gathered Tibetans had led a protest march to Rongwo town centre calling for freedom and the long life and return of the Dalai Lama.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2012, 01:47:43 PM »
This is an interesting and refreshing news article about a chinese artist talking about the self immolations and what it has achieved: nothing. CTA please wake up because all the sacrificed lives do not equate to progress in talks with China.

‘Ashamed of visiting Lhasa as Tibetans continue to burn,’ says Ai Wei Wei
Phayul[Friday, August 17, 2012 04:06]

DHARAMSHALA, August 17: China’s best known artist and a fierce critic of the authoritarian government in Beijing, Ai Wei Wei has said that he would “feel ashamed” to visit Lhasa, Tibet’s capital, following the ongoing wave of self-immolations by Tibetans.

In an interview with Foreign Policy, Ai remarked that the Tibetan people are burning themselves to death and nobody was taking notice.

“Already over 40 of them (Tibetans) in the past two years (have self-immolated), and nobody's talking about it,” Ai said.

The 54-year-old, who was last year hailed by ArtReview as the world’s most powerful artist, said that he would feel ashamed to visit Lhasa in response to a query on whether he has visited Tibet’s ancient capital city on earlier occasions.

“No. I would feel ashamed to go,” Ai said. “I think to respect [the Tibetans] is not to touch them, to leave them alone.”

The artist gained international prominence in 2008 as one of the designers of the Birds Nest stadium for the Beijing Summer Olympics, but later refused to attend the opening of the games, declaring them "a tool for propaganda."

Following the massive pan-Tibet uprisings in 2008 against Chinese rule, Ai had told reporters that simply blaming the Tibetans for the protests would deepen “hatred” among the Han and the Tibetan people.

“The Tibetan are now simplistically being blamed and scolded for infringing the law,” Ai had said. “I do not think this can solve the problem, because this will only deepen the hatred amongst the Han people and the ethnic minorities, thus further deepen their gap.”

He proposed that the Han people must stop looking upon the minorities as the slaves whom they freed and admit to mistakes committed by them in the past.

“They (Tibetans) have their own religion, their own cultural heritage and their own way of thinking. We have never fully understood their religion and their lifestyle,” the artist had said. “Historically, we destroyed their temples and statues, this is a basic fact.”

“These problems should be solved. If not, then this would be failure of policy. Must seek dialogue. It is not feasible to simply accuse them of just being separatists.”

In April 2011, Chinese police imprisoned Ai on politically motivated charges of tax evasion; when he was finally released after 81 days in custody, he was forbidden from leaving Beijing for a year. (He has since been given permission to travel domestically.)

The artist has continued to speak out against Chinese government censorship and repression, often through social media and through his art.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »
To me, This is more or less the results of the self immolations that follow. I doubt that China will actually bow down as they have no reason to and they do not need to. And they will continue doing what they were doing but only with more force and more intensity. CTA and the Tibetans better wake up before it creates even more unhappiness for them.

Five Tsodun monks arrested, Night raids and gunpoint interrogations at Monastery
Phayul[Saturday, August 18, 2012 00:45]

DHARAMSHALA, August 18: Amidst reports of five fatal self-immolations, major public demonstrations, and the death of two Tibetan protesters in the past two weeks alone, Chinese authorities in eastern Tibet continue with their repressive measures and arbitrary arrests.

On August 12, three young monks from the Gyalron Tsodun Kirti Monastery in the Barkham region were arrested from their quarters on unknown charges.

In a release Friday evening, the exile base of Kirti Monastery in Dharamshala said the whereabouts and wellbeing of the monks remain unknown.

“Three Tsodun monks - Lobsang Sengye, around 19 years old, Yarphel, and Namsey, both around 18 - were arrested in night raids from their monastic quarters on August 12,” the release said. “No information on their whereabouts and wellbeing has been released.”

A few days later, on August 16, two more monks from the monastery were arrested on unknown charges.

“Thubwang Tenzin , 20 and Asung, 22, were arrested from their quarters on August 16,” Kirit Monastery said. “They have been untraceable since their arrest.”

The release added that local Chinese authorities continue to carry out a series of repressive measures, including heavy surveillance, interrogation and beatings at the Tsodun Monastery.

“Chinese security personnel, armed with weapons, have been carrying out raids every night in each and every quarter of the monks in the Monastery,” the release said. “The monks are being beaten and interrogated at gunpoint.”

Since March this year, three monks from the Tsodun Monastery have set themselves on fire demanding freedom in Tibet and the return of Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama from exile.

On March 30, Chime Palden, 21 and Tenpa Dhargyal, 22, set themselves on fire protesting China’s continued occupation of Tibet in Barkham. Chime Palden died a day after his fiery protest while Tenpa Dhargyal passed away a week later.

On July 17, Lobsang Lozin, 18, self-immolated near the monastery’s main prayer hall and began walking towards the local Chinese office in flames before falling down. Lobsang Lozin succumbed to his injuries the same day.

Speculations are rife that the monks could have been arrested in connection with the earlier self-immolations, said the release.

Gyalrong Tsodun Kirti monastery is located some 80 kilometers to the north of Barkham town and is one of the biggest Gelug monasteries in Gyalrong region.