Author Topic: Impressive personal chapel of Emperor Qianlong  (Read 8974 times)

Namdrol

• Email
Impressive personal chapel of Emperor Qianlong
« on: May 12, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »
I am sure the statues, decorations and offerings were much more elaborate and intricate during its heydays. Emperor Qianlong was the great grandson of Emperor Shunzhi whom the 5th Dalai Lama came to meet.

The last pic shows Emperor Qianlong portrayed as the Bodhisattva Manjushri.  Qianlong was the grandfather of Emperor Daoguang, who awarded a proclamation of praise to Gyalchen (Dorje Shugden) of the Trokang Temple with a pandit’s hat.

icy

Re: Impressive personal chapel of Emperor Qianlong
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 04:08:39 AM »
Emperor Qian Long is particularly known for his great patronage of the arts and Buddhism.  He was one of the longest-reigning and most enlightened rulers of the Chinese Qing dynasty (1644-1911).  He was the grandson of the Kangxi Emperor who also ruled for sixty years (1662-1722), and who greatly fostered cultural and intellectual life. The Qing were Manchurian horsemen who, like other foreign rulers, absorbed the culture and administrative system of China. 

At the age of 25 years old Qian Long was selected by Kangxi Emperor to succeed the throne and he learnt his grandfather's and father's way of state administration.  He skillfully used Buddhism to unite all the different ethic groups including Manchu, Han and Tibetan to consolidate his imperial power.  Till today if you go to Wu Tai Shan you will see the inscription of Buddhism in Manchurian, Tibetan, Mongolian and Han on a pillar of a temple, which is a symbol of unity. 

Qian Long's reign in particular has been termed one of China's golden ages, during which the economy expanded, and China was the wealthiest and most populous country in the world. Qian Long was greatly ambitious, he made Tibet a protectorate and he went on to conquer other nations to expand his empire.  Towards the end greed and corruption of his officials weaken and cause a downfall to his empire.

dsdisciple

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 05:50:25 AM »
Thank you Namdrol for posting excellent and informative pics!  :D

When I see the subject line it never fails to put a smile on my face and give me a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart.

Why because it gives DS practitioners from around the world myself included another opportunity to feel connected to these holy places and feel like I am part of a greater community of DS practitioners.

I just have a question? Is the 3rd pic a DS Mandala? and is that DS on the Thangka behind the Stupa 4th pic? WOW what holy relics would be in these places beggars belief...on many levels. You can definitely see the influence of DS in the past and in the present.  Exciting times...

Thank you again :D

xo

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 05:33:44 PM »
What I find fascinating is that the Emperor Kang Xi was said to be an emanation of Dorje Shugden (http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=5762) and was reputed to be one of China’s greatest emperors.

Emperor Kang Xi’s grandson, Emperor Qianlong is presented here as the Bodhisattva Manjushri, and as we all know, Dorje Shugden is an emanation of Manjushri.  Emperor Qianlong, in turn, was the grandfather of Emperor Daoguang, who awarded a proclamation of praise to Dorje Shugden.

It seems that this illustrious lineage of Qing Emperors had an extremely close relationship with Dorje Shugden!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

pgdharma

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:26:01 PM »
Thank you, Namdrol, for these photos and information.

The Emperors of China especially of  the Qing dynasty have promoted Tibetan Buddhism widely in China and established a close relationship with Tibet. To the Tibetans they believed that the Emperors of China are emanations of Manjushri (http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=12715). So it is not a surprise that Dorje Shugden incarnated as the legendary Emperor Kangxi and the thangka depicts Emperor Qianlong as Manjushri.

During the reign of Emperor Qianlong, he rebuild Yonghegong Palace in Beijing into a Tibetan monastery which became the bridge between the central government and local authorities in Tibet and Mongolia.  Yonghegong also became the center of the central government in handling Tibetan Buddhist affairs and up to this days, Yonghegong remains a popular pilgrimage and tourist site.

Carpenter

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 07:15:01 PM »
Qing Dynasty and Tibetan Buddhism have a very close relationship. This was started from the Emperor Shunzhi, in the 10th year of Qing Dynasty, the fifth Dalai Lama went to Beijing to present himself before Emperor Shunzhi, who granted him a gold seal, a golden certificate and the title "Dalai Lama, Overseer of the Buddhist Faith on Earth under the Great Benevolent Self-subsisting Buddha of the Western Paradise". 

Below attached the Golden Certificate of the Dalai Lama Title.

Big Uncle

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 04:47:15 PM »
This is all very interesting. The Tibetans believe that the Chinese Emperors were emanations of Manjushri while the rulers of Tibet were emanations of Avalokiteshvara/Chenrezig. The truth of this matter is a subject of much debate between scholars. However, we do know that Emperor Kangxi is widely known to be the emanation of Dorje Shugden and his imperial bloodline had a profound relationship with the greatest Lamas of Tibet. Although the practice of Buddhism during their period was restricted to the imperial family and probably the upper echelons of society but the relics of that era can still be clearly be seen.

This has profound significance for the modern day Chinese. The relationship between culture, history and religion can clearly be seen in this manner. Hence, it would work in favor of modern day propagators of Buddhism, where this familiarity born from the three aforementioned aspects will leave a bigger impact on the Chinese masses. What I am trying to say here is that the average Chinese would find it easier to relate to Buddhism today and that the work of reintroducing Buddhism has begun centuries earlier.

Dorje Shugden himself emanated to paved the way with his immense wisdom and clairvoyance. It would be for us to witness and contribute to the spreading of Dharma from China to the rest of the world via the potent practice of Dorje Shugden.

dsiluvu

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 08:34:54 AM »
This sure is an amazing read on the history that tells us the close connection between The Emperor of China with The Dala Lama. Thanks Namdrol.

If the Emperor Qianlong is portrayed as the Bodhisattva Manjushri, whose grandfather awarded a proclamation of praise to Gyalchen (Dorje Shugden). Hence we can conclude that the Dalai Lama and Dorje Shugden (Manjushri) were working together to spread the Dharma started back in those days!!!

What amazes me is that no matter how much the silly CTA tries to twist history or even cover it, it is just not gonna work...because there are far too many evidence that says the opposite and illogicality of it all.

Checked out Wiki and had a laugh at how they are trying to "twist" intentions arond by saying well... we "misunderstood": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5th_Dalai_Lama

The Fifth Dalai Lama was the first to institutionalize the State Oracle of Nechung.[21]. He instituted Pehar Gyalpo as the protector of the Tibetan government, thus Nechung Monastery became the seat of Tibet's State Oracle (not Dholgyal Shugden). Nechung (Ne means place and chung means small) was a shrine dedicated to Pehar, located at west of Tibet's capital, Lhasa. The role of Pehar as protector to Tibet can be traced back to 8th century, where Pehar was bound to oath by Padmasambhava as head of the hierarchy of protectors for Tibet, with Dorje Drakden as his chief emissary. The Great Fifth (Fifth Dalai Lama) also composed Dra-Yang-Ma (Melodic Chant), a text of self-generation practice and an invocation of the protector, was incorporated ans preserved into the monastic rites until the present time. [22].

The position of Nechung was well documented in one particular account to ward off evil spirit (around 1669). The Fifth Dalai Lama in his autobiography entry has specifically mentioned the distorting "evil spirit" from Dhol Chumig Karmo (Shugden’s place of origin; which directly refers to (Dholgyal) Shugden) .... has been harming the teaching of the Buddha and sentient beings in general and in particular. A new house (not shrine nor temple) was constructed and articles were placed there in the hope it would become a place for the Gyalpo (evil spirit) to settle. However, the evil spirit's harmful activities only intensified and causes many lay and ordained people afflicted with diseases and death of few monks. A fire ritual was performed and in this prayers, along with all Dharma Protectors, Nechung and his entourage was summoned to ward off the evil spirit, (Dholgyal)Shugden.[23].[24].

He ordered a temple to be built in Lhasa, called Trode Khangsar, which was designated as a "protector house" (btsan khan) for Dorje Shugden.[25] He also crafted the first statue of Dorje Shugden which is currently at Gaden Phelgyeling Monastery in Kathmandu, Nepal.[26].

However this was misunderstood by some as elevation of (Dholgyal)Shugden as protector by the Fifth Dalai Lama, instead it was his intention to appease the Dholgyal, evil spirit(Gyalpo), from Dhol Chumig Karmo, in short Dholgyal. The status of (Dolgyal) Shugden was reconfirmed by the Thirteenth Dalai Lama in his letter to Phabongkhapa Dechen Nyingpo (Phabongka Rinpoche), where he identified (Dolgyal) Shugden as "...wrathful worldly spirit....contradicts the precepts of taking refuge". In reply, Phabongka Rinpoche, active promoter of Shugden's practice, has admitted his mistake in propitiating Shugden (Dolgyal) as a protector and repented his act before the Thirteenth Dalai Lama. In the same letter Phabongka Rinpoche mentioned "..I have propitiated Shugden until now because my old mother told me that Shugden is the deity of my maternal lineage..", which reconfirmed the practice of Shugden was not originated from Gelugpa lineage and altogether dismiss the misunderstanding that the Fifth Dalai Lama has elevated (Dholgyal) Shugden status as protector.[27].[28].

I mean this is simply so preposterous and making a worldly spirit statue to appease him just makes Buddha's teachings seem ineffective. Like woh... this evil spirit is so powerful, even more powerful then the Buddhas that high Lama's like the Great 5th Dalai Lama has to make his statues and write praises to him to appease him? And what type of praise/prayer might that be?

HUM

Though unmoving from the sphere of primordial spontaneity,
With wrathful turbulent power, swifter than lightning,
Endowed with heroic courage to judge good and bad,
I invite you with faith, please come to this place! 

Robes of a monk, crown adorned with rhinocerous leather hat,
Right hand holds ornate club, left holds a human heart,
Riding various mounts such as nagas and garudas,
Who subdues the mamo’s of the charnal grounds, praise to you! 

Samaya substances, offerings and torma, outer, inner and secret,
Favorite visual offerings and various objects are arranged.
Although, previously, my wishes were a bit dense,
Do not stop your powerful apparitions, I reveal and confess!

Now respectfully praising with body, speech, and mind,
For us, the masters, disciples, benefactors and entourages,
Provide the good and avert the bad!
Bring increase like the waxing moon in spiritual and temporal realms!

Moreover, swiftly accomplishing all wishes,
According to our prayers, bestow the supreme effortlessly!
And like the jewel that bestows all wishes,
Always protect us with the Three Jewels!

Source: http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?page_id=341

Sure does not sound like a praise written for an unenlightened being.

diablo1974

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 03:19:04 PM »
This is really impressive by the chinese emperor. Its more than a work of arts, the emperor himself being a devouted buddhist housed the best craftsman in the country. They gathered and made the most beautiful and exquisite gompa for the emperor.  From the pictures it looks like its not properly maintained by the professionals which i think it needed to be. During his reign, foreign artists such as italian artist 'lang shi ning' were welcomed and this had lead to the opening of a new form of arts culture. Unfortunately many buddhist artefActs were lost/stolen/looted during the downfall of the dynasty when the europeans and japanese raided the palace and these lost treasures are currently in the museum collections from around the world.

Big Uncle

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 04:01:37 PM »
I think some people on the forum need to understand what this whole emanation business is all about. We as normal  beings take rebirth uncontrollably from lifetime after lifetime and we take the form of various types of bodies in each rebirth (dogs, humans, spirits etc).

On the other hand, Enlightened Beings like Manjushri do not need to take rebirth but due to their compassionate nature, Manjushri emanates out as various beings like Lama Tsongkhapa, Kalarupa, 4-face Mahakala, Yamantaka, Dorje Shugden and so forth.

His emanations can all act independently and they in turn can incarnate and establish their line of incarnations. So Manjushri can emanate a million emanations simultaneously working to benefit all beings and each can establish their own line of incarnations. Hence, it is not surprising that Emperor Kangxi is the emanation of Dorje Shugden.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »
Big Uncle, your explanation on emanations  certainly brought on a more better understanding to why Dorje Shugden appears in so many forms. From Namdol's article, I deduced that the practice of Dorje Shugden is definitely not a religion that is practiced by only a minority group. It is certainly a part of the culture and history of China. May I have the merits to visit such a historical site.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 07:55:10 AM »
In this article http://www.learn.columbia.edu/nanxuntu/html/emperors/#kangxi

One of the fine print got me thinking - It is interesting to note that the Qianlong Emperor was a contemporary of George Washington (1732-99), who was president of the United States from 1789-97. Qianlong and Washington both died in 1799, at ages 88 and 67, respectively.

Would it be George Washington Himself also is one of the emanation of Manjushri? So much so that Tibetan Buddhism is one of the fastest growing religion in North America. I really wonder...hehe

Positive Change

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »
This post is most fascinating. It further illustrates the intrinsic nature of the Buddhas working together in the spread of Dorje Shugden. Seems like a chess game that started out lifetimes ago and keeps continuing and will keep continuing till the end game, whereby we will see the unfolding of the next move in this intricately woven plan.

Thank you Namdrol for brilliant pictures that gives us a glimpse of the past which is in an era long gone but yet poignant and with the rich tapestry of a true unbroken lineage.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »
Regarding Emperors of China as Manjushri, I have read previously in "The Circle of Bliss" by John C. HUntington & Dina Bangdel that The Fifth Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama recognised Emperor Taizong as a great secular reincarnation of the Bodhisattva Manjushri, China's patron Bodhisattva.

Of the three great Emperors that were great patrons of Tibetan Buddhism: Kangxi, Yongzhen and Qianlong, Emeperor Qianlong was most enthusiastic. As a prince, he studied the languages and texts of Tibetan Buddhism. Apart from commissioning translations projects, he also commissioned many Buddhist artworks. The Emperor also encouraged and fostered his mother's (Empress Xiaoshen) devotion to the Buddhas by offering lavish commissions of Buddhist sculptures and paintings on her behalf during occasions such as the empress' birthday. Some of them are still extant and are one of the most impressive collections of Sino-Tibetan art.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 08:12:07 AM »
This article of Chinese history and the link the Chinese emperors have with Tibetan Dalai Lamas and in particular the 5th Dalai Lama and during whose time Dorje Shugden arose as a protector.

Somehow it seems right that the current Chinese authorities take on the role of propagating DS.