Author Topic: Jesus Christ thangka  (Read 18390 times)

triesa

Re: Jesus Christ thangka
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 09:24:22 AM »
This thangka is beautiful! And very suitable for Tibetans who are Christians. It is a combination of culture and religion.

I visited the Institute of World Religions in Berkeley, USA. It is a church building converted into a monastery. Inside the building, it looks like a modern monastery with an altar. But the traditional christian stained glass is replaced with a stained glass image of Buddha. It is so beautiful! Here are the pictures.

To me, it doesn't matter how our depiction of buddha or jesus are. Whether it should be in a certain way. As long as our faith and belive is strong, it can come in any way you want.

As to the depiction of enlightened being or holy man, I think this will always goes hand in hand with the culture of the country when the deity is being worshipped. After all, it is just a depiction, the esscense is retained.

We tend to get too uptight with how things should be, but living in the fast digital lane, traditional ways of how deities should be depicted wil inevitably be adjusted to suit the time and new culture of the mind sets of the people.

For instance, I like modern altar and am not a great fan of the traditional Tibetan altar, but that does not make me less as a practitioner nor what the buddhas on my simple altar represent. Likewise, with Jesus Christ depicted in a beautiful brocaded traditional thangka, does not make Jesus less a saint.

Infact, with all these inter-religious/cultural depiction of buddhas/saints, perhaps unnecessary boundaries between religions can be erased with the skillful means of these artists.

RedLantern

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 02:15:30 PM »
It's remarkable how Jesus and Buddha's teachings reveals about love,wisdom and materialism-were guiding us along the same path. Jesus and Buddha also delves into the mystery surrounding their strikingly similiar
teachings and presents over one hundred examples from each.
When we listen deeply to their words,we find that in any ways,they speak with one heart.If we could enact
even one verse from these teachings,it would have the power to illuminate our hearts,free us from confusion and transform our lives!
The image of Jesus Christ on a brocade thangka is so lovely!A brocade thangka beautifies any art depicted on it.Buddha on stained glass and Jesus on brocade thangka.....so wonderful!!

Klein

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 05:16:02 PM »
I like the thangka very much. It's a creative way of depicting Jesus Christ. People from all cultures and backgrounds would depict Jesus differently. It doesn't make the practitioner any less spiritual or more spiritual. It's only a personal expression.

I have also seen Jesus Christ in Chinese silk embroidery. It was very beautiful as well.

I think what's important is practising the essence of the teachings. All these artist interpretations are merely visuals and reminders of the selflessness we can aspire to attain.

Tenzin K

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 06:06:27 PM »
Very nice.

Love the mixture of the art side and the culture. It doesn’t matter where the origin from but whatever things to make nice to our statues is one type of offering.
The culture may look different but if we set our motivation right it should the same across all the religious.
Respect is very much important towards other religious. We are not competing instead we encourage different religious practitioners to stay loyal with their center. Eventually what we want is the benefit for the people not ourselves.

sonamdhargey

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 07:35:56 AM »
Very creative and nice.

I don't see anything wrong about having a Jesus Thangkha at all. Having a Jesus Thangkha in Tibet is appropriate to suit the culture there whoever is practicng Christianity in Tibet.

After all Jesus is a compassionate being who sacrifice for the sake of human kind. I supposed as long as it matches the culture of the practitioners why not?

Even Buddha statues are different in shapes and looks in different cultures. we should focus on the qualities of these compassionate beings rather to differentiate them telling others that Jesus Christ cannot be in the Thangkha but should be instead on the cross. Just so happen that Jesus was not in India does not mean cannot be practiced in an Indian culture.

thor

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 09:29:49 AM »
Why so much fuss over the Jesus thangka? And why is there need to judge if anything is wrong with having such a thangka? I regularly travel to Nepal, and there are many thangkas of various hindu deities, worldly gods, dakini-type figures and so on. Its not just Buddhas or Bodhisattvas you know. So having Jesus on a thangka is the same as seeing Vishnu or Shiva on a Thangka too. Its just a cultural thing, nothing more significant than that.

What I find more interesting is these images attached. It depicts the famous Jesus thangka, and the 2nd image is the most interesting. It seems to depict Jesus giving teachings to monks, with a gompa in the background. Take a look! Especially, look at how the monk serves Jesus with respect. And see the scars on the hands of Jesus. What do you think? Heh heh

Aurore

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 03:06:50 PM »
Thor, since you have brought this up, I remember clearly from my Hindu friends about the lost years of Jesus.

Several authors have claimed to have found proof of the existence of manuscripts in India and Tibet that support the belief that Christ was in India during this time in his life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_years_of_Jesus

Now what I found from this site is quite interesting.
http://paarsurrey.wordpress.com/2008/09/24/buddhist-and-hindu-texts-confirm-jesus-travels-to-the-indian-region/
Buddhist texts contain a prophecy of future Buddha, a bodhisattva, named ‘Bagwa Metteyya’ a Pali phrase which literally means “fair-complexioned”, or “white traveller”. The etymological resemblance of the word “Metteyya” to “Messiah” is established and one meaning of the word “Messiah” is traveler.

Don't you think the word Metteyya and Maitreya sounds pretty similar too?

Jesus approaching Ladakh as a youth
Oil painting by J. Michael Spooner

jeremyg

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »
This is awesome. All religions should co-exist. We are all after the same thing after all, which is relieving suffering of ourselves. Why do people create religious wars, religious debates. If we all accepted each other, that would be the true practice of religion. If we worship jesus, as buddhists there shouldn't be any issues with that. We are admiring his qualities, just like how we admire the qualities of high monks etc.

The thangka is a great representation of religious mixes, and we should move towards this, i'm sure if we all accept each others religions it would solve a lot of problems globally.

hope rainbow

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 03:14:08 PM »
I wanted to revive this post showing a beautiful thangka of Jesus Christ, which I regard as a high bodhisattva if not more!

brian

• Email
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 06:00:49 PM »
how do you like this inter-religious thangka? ;D

I must say that i am very surprised to see this Thangkha of Jesus! Is this called inter religious diplomatic gesture?? I don't think Christians (majority that is) will like this once they found out about it. But i certainly like this tangkha as i have never seen any images of GOD from another religion to appear in a Tibetan thangka. Jesus for me is a Bodhisattva and deserves the honour to be featured in a thangka. Nevermind the criticism that the Christians are going to throw onto us once they found out about this but nevertheless, i love this tangkha!

ilikeshugden

• Email
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 11:51:56 AM »
This is a beautiful thangka. Even though, it may be fake. I think it is best for all religions to live in harmony. As long as a religion teaches love and compassion, then it is a good religion. The thangka shows a unity amongst religion that is needed!